Gberg's GoRf Thread

Strut your greasy stuff!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:44 pm Also if the golf r is a weekend car what is the weekday car ?
1982 Toyota Corolla.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:37 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:44 pm Also if the golf r is a weekend car what is the weekday car ?
1982 Toyota Corolla.
:boner:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
max225 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:43 pm Didn’t the mk6 have the exact same clutch issues ? I mean come on people engineers designed the clutch for 300hp, anything more than that is going to cause issues with cooling, oil life, blowby, spark plugs and coils etc etc. no “free gainz” due to stupid engineers. Most tuning companies are a joke compared to oems...
My GTI lasted up to stage 2 okay and only slipped a little.

My Golf R was stage 2+ (stage 2 + HPFP) and didn't slip. I must have been lucky.
:dat:

My Mk6 started slipping slightly at around 55k miles after being t00ned since 7k.

Although t00ned Mk7's are making significantly more power than t00ned Mk6's.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote:Also if the golf r is a weekend car what is the weekday car ?
He said it was an old Subaru Impreza. I don't get having a :gorf: as a weekend car either.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:47 pm So the Porsche driving experience was absolutely :fuckyeah: and if anyone ever gets a chance to do it you definitely should. You're behind the wheel the whole time and once it's over your instructor will take you for a couple of hot laps. I opted for a regular C2S with PDK over a Carrera T with a :manuel: since the track is so short there'd only be 1 gear change from 2-3. There are 5 elements to do and my instructor tried to keep me moving at all times. There's the circuit, dynamics area, kick plate, wet drift circle, and the go kart track.

Circuit - It's a relatively short 1 mile circuit but still very fun. I think on the back straight I was around 100 before the braking zone. Fun since I've never driven on a road course before.

Dynamics Area - This is where you do acceleration runs and the slalom. The instructor changes settings on car and I could really feel the difference between modes, especially when it came to the rear axle steer in the slalom. And launch control with PDK is :muah: . Zero brake fade in multiple 90-0 stops in this area. Cars were on steel rotors with ceramic pads.

Kick Plate - Pretty cool experience. It's meant to simulate black ice. It's a wet surface that you drive towards at about 25mph and the kick plate will send the car to either side at random. Obviously the goal is to not spin and countersteer back on track.

Wet Drift circle - Exactly what it sounds like. The goals is to do donuts around the wet circle. At my best I was able to hold the drift about halfway through the circle before losing it and spinning.

Go Kart Track - It's also what it sounds like. A very short track but it's polished concrete so grip is very minimal.

PDK - I'm a believer. That transmission is fucking :amazing:

Pic dump when I get near my laptop since Tapatalk blows.

That sounds awesome. 90 minutes in the car "on track" of sorts if pretty epic. How much does that cost if you don't mind me asking?

How was the museum and stuff? Your pics on IG looked really :neat: !
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:15 pm
I'd love a GoRf as the one hero to do it all.

Simplicity is bliss.

We all buy cars for the track, for the trails, for backroad :stig:

But when it comes down to it... how many of us actually do the specific things we buy said vehicles for? Sad!

I get Dplac's desire for a remote cabin, 100%. We all slave our lives away to buy the things we want so we can't use them because we don't have time.
:mahman: :| :(
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Simplicity is bliss.

But when it comes down to it... how many of us actually do the specific things we buy said vehicles for? Sad!

I get Dplac's desire for a remote cabin, 100%. We all slave our lives away to buy the things we want so we can't use them because we don't have time.
Yep, which is why I think a golf R as a weekend car is :fullretard: keep it nice for the next :derp: :butwhy: ?

:disgust: on the time comment
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:46 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:47 pm So the Porsche driving experience was absolutely :fuckyeah: and if anyone ever gets a chance to do it you definitely should. You're behind the wheel the whole time and once it's over your instructor will take you for a couple of hot laps. I opted for a regular C2S with PDK over a Carrera T with a :manuel: since the track is so short there'd only be 1 gear change from 2-3. There are 5 elements to do and my instructor tried to keep me moving at all times. There's the circuit, dynamics area, kick plate, wet drift circle, and the go kart track.

Circuit - It's a relatively short 1 mile circuit but still very fun. I think on the back straight I was around 100 before the braking zone. Fun since I've never driven on a road course before.

Dynamics Area - This is where you do acceleration runs and the slalom. The instructor changes settings on car and I could really feel the difference between modes, especially when it came to the rear axle steer in the slalom. And launch control with PDK is :muah: . Zero brake fade in multiple 90-0 stops in this area. Cars were on steel rotors with ceramic pads.

Kick Plate - Pretty cool experience. It's meant to simulate black ice. It's a wet surface that you drive towards at about 25mph and the kick plate will send the car to either side at random. Obviously the goal is to not spin and countersteer back on track.

Wet Drift circle - Exactly what it sounds like. The goals is to do donuts around the wet circle. At my best I was able to hold the drift about halfway through the circle before losing it and spinning.

Go Kart Track - It's also what it sounds like. A very short track but it's polished concrete so grip is very minimal.

PDK - I'm a believer. That transmission is fucking :amazing:

Pic dump when I get near my laptop since Tapatalk blows.

That sounds awesome. 90 minutes in the car "on track" of sorts if pretty epic. How much does that cost if you don't mind me asking?

How was the museum and stuff? Your pics on IG looked really :neat: !
It ended up being a little over $500 including the damage liability waiver. You can do a Cayman or Boxsters for a bit less but I don't think they'd match the fun factor of the 911. Especially now that they're all subaru motors. You can do a Turbo or GT3 too but for how small that track is, a regular 911 is probably more fun.

Museum was interesting but there weren't too many cars there at the time. They had a lot of 914's which was kinda :flaccid:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Porsche Experience water to top it all off.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:ohdang: $500 is very reasonable for that, IMO.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:07 pm :ohdang: $500 is very reasonable for that, IMO.
It's worth it. If you're ever in Atlanta or LA you should definitely try it.

Eventually I'd like to try BMW in Spartanburg.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:gorf: has also been dropped off at the :dillerman: . Rolling in a Jetta R-Line now!!!

Expecting the R to be ready by Wednesday.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:35 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:07 pm :ohdang: $500 is very reasonable for that, IMO.
It's worth it. If you're ever in Atlanta or LA you should definitely try it.

Eventually I'd like to try BMW in Spartanburg.
:nice: Spartanburg is only about an hour from here, I should :doit:
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:44 pm :gorf: has also been dropped off at the :dillerman: . Rolling in a Jetta R-Line now!!!

Nice to have loaners. Service seems good
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:44 pm :gorf: has also been dropped off at the :dillerman: . Rolling in a Jetta R-Line now!!!

Nice to have loaners. Service seems good
It's not usually the case. Probably because it's the 4th time they're trying a warranty repair. For regular scheduled maintenance I don't think they give one.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Simplicity is bliss.

I gotta say... I'm really enjoying this new "existential crisis" phase of DFD. It's fun growing up with you guys :wub:

Such reflection, much perspective, :doge: :jeep: :gorf: :poorvette: :truk: :haus:

I guess it's time for :glamper: and :cabin:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Picked up the :gorf: last night. All 4 fuel injectors replaced. They didn't do anything else. Now the question is do I shell out $500 for service in a few weeks on a car I SHOULD :plac: .

I will admin though, after being in a jetta for a week it was great to :stig: again in the :gorf:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:12 pm Picked up the :gorf: last night. All 4 fuel injectors replaced. They didn't do anything else. Now the question is do I shell out $500 for service in a few weeks on a car I SHOULD :plac: .

I will admin though, after being in a jetta for a week it was great to :stig: again in the :gorf:
What service are you looking at?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:32 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:12 pm Picked up the :gorf: last night. All 4 fuel injectors replaced. They didn't do anything else. Now the question is do I shell out $500 for service in a few weeks on a car I SHOULD :plac: .

I'm about to hit 30k so that's the haldex, brake fluid change, and oil change. :dillerman: wanted $240 ish for the haldex which he said they'd remove and clean the filter.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:21 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:32 pm

I'm about to hit 30k so that's the haldex, brake fluid change, and oil change. :dillerman: wanted $240 ish for the haldex which he said they'd remove and clean the filter.
I am a broken record on this stuff, but that should all be pretty easy to do at home for like a hunnit? I do all this sort of stuff living in an urban apartment :iono:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:03 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:21 pm

I am a broken record on this stuff, but that should all be pretty easy to do at home for like a hunnit? I do all this sort of stuff living in an urban apartment :iono:
Yes and no. I'm almost positive my apartment would not let me work on the car in the garage so that's out. I don't know of any reputable indy shops nearby but I guess I could call AWE for an estimate.

DAP did a video on the haldex service and removing the pump seems rather tedious.

Also, I've never done a brake fluid change so I don't trust myself with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLbWuHiFJLM
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:29 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:03 pm

Yes and no. I'm almost positive my apartment would not let me work on the car in the garage so that's out. I don't know of any reputable indy shops nearby but I guess I could call AWE for an estimate.

DAP did a video on the haldex service and removing the pump seems rather tedious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLbWuHiFJLM
Ah, for some reason I thought I remembered pics of the :gorf: at a nice suburban :haus: and assumed you live there. It's annoying AF and sometimes not allowed at apartments for sure. Working on cars is the worst thing about my apartment to me, excited to get out of it and have my poverty car port.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:29 pm Yes and no. I'm almost positive my apartment would not let me work on the car in the garage so that's out. I don't know of any reputable indy shops nearby but I guess I could call AWE for an estimate.

Ah, for some reason I thought I remembered pics of the :gorf: at a nice suburban :haus: and assumed you live there. It's annoying AF and sometimes not allowed at apartments for sure. Working on cars is the worst thing about my apartment to me, excited to get out of it and have my poverty car port.
Yeah. I wash it and change the ramz at my parents house. I could do stuff there I guess but I don't really have all the necessary tools.

max225

What would you replace it with ?

I would wait to see if injectors fixed your CE.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:10 pm

What would you replace it with ?

I would wait to see if injectors fixed your CE.
Used S3 or S4. Maybe a fakesport. Another :gorf: is :fullretard: and pure :plac: but I'd consider it to cut ties with this one. I'm sorta open to a DSGay/automatics but I've gotta remember DSGay is probably no PDK.

Anyone who looks at the car :fax: on my :gorf: would be all :nope: . Trade in lists it at about 27-8 but then you factor in the "minor" accident. I owe about 13k on it so I've got lots of :plac: profit. OR just keep it since it'll never fully depreciate like a GTI and just wait for something else in 2 years like a Mk8 R.

This is all dependent upon the injectors actually fixing the misfire CEL.