Gberg's GoRf Thread

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:33 am
coogles wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:59 am

As thin as that oil is I wouldn't buy their fuel dilution numbers for a second. Guaranteed that oil is loaded with fuel, doesn't seem to have impacted wear (yet), but with the short tripping I do and the fuel dilution I'm probably seeing too, I'm sticking with 5k changes.
:really: Why shouldn't I trust their fuel dilution number?

Maybe I should go someplace else and try a different oil?
Vw tells you 10k, a lab specializing in these tests tells you 10k.
:wrong:
:fakenews:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:40 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:33 am

:really: Why shouldn't I trust their fuel dilution number?

Vw tells you 10k, a lab specializing in these tests tells you 10k.
:wrong:
:fakenews:
Step 1: Remove drain plug.
Step 2: Mount remote filler and 500 quart oil tank in trunk.
Step 3: Drive NFG and let it flow.
Step 4: Replace oil tank as needed.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:33 am :really: Why shouldn't I trust their fuel dilution number?

One example of many.

http://renosyn.com/blackstone-labs-vs-o ... ion-issue/
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

coogles wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:51 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:33 am :really: Why shouldn't I trust their fuel dilution number?

One example of many.

http://renosyn.com/blackstone-labs-vs-o ... ion-issue/
Interesting. Found this older thread I'll bring back from the dead about blackstone.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... blackstone
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Isn't Blackstone $28? That's five quarts of Mobil 1 at Wally World. Why jump through all of these hoops/have all of these arguments etc. when it is a negligible amount more to just change your oil at 5K?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:13 pm Interesting. Found this older thread I'll bring back from the dead about blackstone.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... blackstone
They're not hiding it, they disclose their method right on their website.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/what-is ... fBstone%2f
We use the flashpoint test to determine how much fuel dilution is present in your oil. Technically speaking, the flashpoint is the lowest temperature at which a liquid will generate sufficient vapor to flash (ignite) when exposed to a source of ignition or fire. In other words, at what temperature do the vapors coming off your oil catch fire?
So yeah, they don't actually test to see how much fuel is in your oil. There's a reason their test kit is cheap. But of course I'm :wrong:.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:39 pm Isn't Blackstone $28? That's five quarts of Mobil 1 at Wally World. Why jump through all of these hoops/have all of these arguments etc. when it is a negligible amount more to just change your oil at 5K?
Pretty much :dat:. 6 quarts of Castrol 0w40 was something like $33 at Wal-Mart. :aintcare:
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:39 pm Isn't Blackstone $28? That's five quarts of Mobil 1 at Wally World. Why jump through all of these hoops/have all of these arguments etc. when it is a negligible amount more to just change your oil at 5K?

Because cars have more than 1 oil change in their life time ? I have done 41 oil changes in the crown vic for example.
Because its good to know whether the recommended interval was made for the VW 10k "free service" warranty or if the engine can truly handle it?
Because an engine is more expensive?
Because your time is worth something?
Because used motor oil gives you cancer?
Because this way you can back up your 3k or 3 months claim with :science: and not internet hearsay ?

Do you need more reasons?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:03 pm

Because cars have more than 1 oil change in their life time ? I have done 41 oil changes in the crown vic for example.
Because its good to know whether the recommended interval was made for the VW 10k "free service" warranty or if the engine can truly handle it?
Because this way you can back up your 3k or 3 months claim with :science: and not internet hearsay ?

Look brah, let go with the 3K or 3 months thing, nobody fking does that with synthetic. I'm talking 5K or one year for Mobil 1. Engines change over time, yes? Why would a Blackstone analysis at 7K miles be any good at 32K miles? I'm not going to change the oil more frequently than 5K unless I drive through a haboob with no air filter, it just seems :fullretard: to pay Blackstone to tell me "you can go 7800 miles no problem!"
I just keep a tire and oil change routine of 5K miles. The Wette I change annually. The other cars never get more than 10K/yr. Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart makes it cheapish.

I totally get Blackstone for a car you put a lot of miles on or a fleet of high mile vehicles, but that ain't me so it seems like unnecessary brain damage. I smoked cigarettes for 10 years I :aintcare: about used motor oil on my hands a few times a year, it lets me know I can still do a few things myself, god knows I hire juan and abuelita for about every goddam thing else.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Look brah, let go with the 3K or 3 months thing, nobody fking does that with synthetic. I'm talking 5K or one year for Mobil 1. Engines change over time, yes? Why would a Blackstone analysis at 7K miles be any good at 32K miles? I'm not going to change the oil more frequently than 5K unless I drive through a haboob with no air filter, it just seems :fullretard: to pay Blackstone to tell me "you can go 7800 miles no problem!"
I just keep a tire and oil change routine of 5K miles. The Wette I change annually. The other cars never get more than 10K/yr. Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart makes it cheapish.

I totally get Blackstone for a car you put a lot of miles on or a fleet of high mile vehicles, but that ain't me so it seems like unnecessary brain damage. I smoked cigarettes for 10 years I :aintcare: about used motor oil on my hands a few times a year, it lets me know I can still do a few things myself, god knows I hire juan and abuelita for about every goddam thing else.
You can change it every 500 miles for all I care, no one is forcing you but telling others that the factory interval isn't ok because of personal opinions is not right which is what you're doing. I am simply pointing out the fact that 10k is perfectly fine according to :science: (manufacturer+blackstone) .
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:24 pm

You can change it every 500 miles for all I care, no one is forcing you but telling others that the factory interval isn't ok because of personal opinions is not right which is what you're doing. I am simply pointing out the fact that 10k is perfectly fine according to :science: (manufacturer+blackstone) .
I'm going to pass on the usual semantics game on this site where I say "Show me where I have told anyone that the factory interval isn't ok Motherfucker." I know I have never said that. What I have said is that Blackstone is $28 bucks and for $28 bucks I think I'll just change the fking oil every 5K. If Blackstone told me I should change it less than 5K I would say fk it and not do it. If it said more, so what, you just charged me $28 to do that, which is the cost of Mobil 1 in a 5 quart sump. Dave has posted pictures of his BMW valvetrain with 15K Kilometer changes and it looks like you could eat off it.....no question. It's just easier for me to keep track of shit at 5K intervals and I essentially can do no wrong at that pace. Again, for a guy putting 20K or 30K on his car every year, the analysis changes.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:37 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:24 pm

I'm going to pass on the usual semantics game on this site where I say "Show me where I have told anyone that the factory interval isn't ok Motherfucker." I know I have never said that. What I have said is that Blackstone is $28 bucks and for $28 bucks I think I'll just change the fking oil every 5K. If Blackstone told me I should change it less than 5K I would say fk it and not do it. If it said more, so what, you just charged me $28 to do that, which is the cost of Mobil 1 in a 5 quart sump. Dave has posted pictures of his BMW valvetrain with 15K Kilometer changes and it looks like you could eat off it.....no question. It's just easier for me to keep track of shit at 5K intervals and I essentially can do no wrong at that pace. Again, for a guy putting 20K or 30K on his car every year, the analysis changes.
Guy posts posts blackstone report stating 10k intervals are ok, you're coming in hot about how you change it at 5k. This has nothing to do with $28 for oil at walmart or how many oil changes a vehicle gets in it's life time which you so kindly ignored in your post. Rest is history.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:39 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:37 pm

Guy posts posts blackstone report stating 10k intervals are ok, you're coming in hot about how you change it at 5k. This has nothing to do with $28 for oil at walmart or how many oil changes a vehicle gets in it's life time which you so kindly ignored in your post. Rest is history.
Max, let's just make it easy for you. You walk the scientific path of the righteous man. You and the German engineering society have met in Monte Carlo for high council and determined that longer oil changes are ok with the huge advances made in synthetic motor oil. I, on the other hand, refuse to acknowledge pure scientific truth, have killed at least 10 species due to my over frequent oil changes, I am going to be a double amputee after the huge carcinoma lesions on my hands are removed, and I am :wrong: and stupid. And a misleading asshole. And financially more wasteful that every other forum member on here. :micdrop:

Max, what I really am is just lazy. It's just easier to do 5K changes and say fuck it without all of this Blackstone shit. That's it. I am not "coming in hot" I just don't care enough to add another test to my life.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

You change your tars at 5k miles? :waxer: :troywax: :impressive:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:05 pm

You change your tars at 5k miles? :waxer: :troywax: :impressive:
And then burn the old ones after dumping my used motor oil on them.
I meant rotations.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:07 pm
wap wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:05 pm You change your tars at 5k miles? :waxer: :troywax: :impressive:
And then burn the old ones after dumping my used motor oil on them.
I meant rotations.
:zing:

I figured.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:01 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:39 pm

Max, let's just make it easy for you. You walk the scientific path of the righteous man. You and the German engineering society have met in Monte Carlo for high council and determined that longer oil changes are ok with the huge advances made in synthetic motor oil. I, on the other hand, refuse to acknowledge pure scientific truth, have killed at least 10 species due to my over frequent oil changes, I am going to be a double amputee after the huge carcinoma lesions on my hands are removed, and I am :wrong: and stupid. And a misleading asshole. And financially more wasteful that every other forum member on here. :micdrop:

Max, what I really am is just lazy. It's just easier to do 5K changes and say fuck it without all of this Blackstone shit. That's it. I am not "coming in hot" I just don't care enough to add another test to my life.
You don’t have to make it easy for me, I mentioned already that you are free to change it every 500 miles, pee in the gas tank for good luck or whatever the heart desires.

And I’m free to disagree with you and point to science as opposed to folklore.

That’s what makes this country great.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:ohmy: So much drama, busy as fuck to DFD the last couple of weeks but I miss the excitement.

I always love seeing what my gorfmates update, drawn in every time.

I'm solidly about the 9-10k oil changes when i know that I'm doing lots of highway or the weather isn't extreme heat. If either of those changes then I'm on the phone with my dealer to book at 7-8k. Speaking of lube, my angus is about peppered for the DSGay service. 40k just like that.

All well otherwise, haven't gotten the chrck engine light and no alignments needed unless I got one when I ran over the rock pictured in my profile. If i did get an alignment I wouldn't recalibrate it, and if some fucktard said I had to :doit: I'd tell them that I'm going elsewhere and say goobye
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

I do 30k miles a year. I change the oil every 10k with an OEM filter and factory recommended oil. I specifically bought a 6MT over a DSG to avoid a wallet flush every 18 months for trans fluid.

I have a tech with a 2017 Jetta 1.4T that has a 200 mile daily commute and just broke 90k miles on the car. 10k oil changes and 40k spark plug intervals and the car is just ticking along fine.

He also does 4-5 oil changes per day and doesn’t have hand cancer.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:16 pm :ohmy: So much drama, busy as fuck to DFD the last couple of weeks but I miss the excitement.

I'm solidly about the 9-10k oil changes when i know that I'm doing lots of highway or the weather isn't extreme heat. If either of those changes then I'm on the phone with my dealer to book at 7-8k. Speaking of lube, my angus is about peppered for the DSGay service. 40k just like that.

All well otherwise, haven't gotten the chrck engine light and no alignments needed unless I got one when I ran over the rock pictured in my profile. If i did get an alignment I wouldn't recalibrate it, and if some fucktard said I had to :doit: I'd tell them that I'm going elsewhere and say goobye
Fuck you send it in to Blackstone and pore over the analysis. Have a few phone calls with them to see if you can bump your 7-8k up to 8.5k. Maybe 11k. It's worth it to know the truth.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:52 pm I do 30k miles a year. I change the oil every 10k with an OEM filter and factory recommended oil. I specifically bought a 6MT over a DSG to avoid a wallet flush every 18 months for trans fluid.

I have a tech with a 2017 Jetta 1.4T that has a 200 mile daily commute and just broke 90k miles on the car. 10k oil changes and 40k spark plug intervals and the car is just ticking along fine.

Have you considered paying $28 for a Blackstone analysis to perhaps increase or decrease your intervals?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:12 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:16 pm :ohmy: So much drama, busy as fuck to DFD the last couple of weeks but I miss the excitement.

Fuck you send it in to Blackstone and pore over the analysis. Have a few phone calls with them to see if you can bump your 7-8k up to 8.5k. Maybe 11k. It's worth it to know the truth.
:word:

I have an even BETTER scientific technique, i check my oil level, wipe off my dipstick and look at the color of the oil on my rag and smell it a little. It's been 100% effective for every car I ever owned.

I'm starting to lean towards an oil extractor and just doing my own oil/filter, its stupid easy but have been playing nicely with the dealership because they sold me the 6yr/120k extended warranty :bs: , but I really don't think I'll need them for any "good faith" coverage (until I do :dolphin: ). They are a hundred bucks a pop, another reason why I'm not doing 5k oil changes.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apparently I'm a moose in my profile? Lol
:drunk:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:15 am
fledonfoot wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:52 pm I do 30k miles a year. I change the oil every 10k with an OEM filter and factory recommended oil. I specifically bought a 6MT over a DSG to avoid a wallet flush every 18 months for trans fluid.

Have you considered paying $28 for a Blackstone analysis to perhaps increase or decrease your intervals?

I'm not doing it to avoid hand cancer but I did 5k changes on my Mk6 and look where that got me? That car was a fucking disaster. 5 water pumps, multiple oil leaks, tensioner replaced, IAT sensor wiring screwed up, etc. The list went on and on.

$28 to find out if the engine is all good doesn't bother me. Just trying to figure out what's best for the :gorf: long term as I'm probably stuck with it. I don't want to replicate my experience with the Mk6.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

That approach makes sense if you drive a lot. The engine is getting to and staying at operating temp for long periods of time, you're bound to have less fuel in the oil than someone who does a lot of short trips in stop and go driving.

The viscosity of that oil indicates it's been thinned out by something, probably fuel. I'd either have another lab test the next sample or stick to 5k mile changes if the plan is to keep the car long-term.