Gberg's GoRf Thread

Strut your greasy stuff!
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:33 am They do have dipsticks. Where do I dispose of the old oil? Take it to like pep boys right?

At least I'm getting my sagging hoodliner replaced under warranty. So I got that going for me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Any auto parts store should take it. Here in the land of the hippies and free love the law is that if you sell oil you have to take in used oil for free.
:notbad: At least that's one thing they get right. I'll lookup PA laws.

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Also according to the quick check alignment they do my front right wheel is right on the edge of being out of spec. The quick check isn't totally accurate though as they could put it on the alignment rack and find that it's fine.

If the rear is out of spec, that means ACC recalibration. But if it's only the front they can just align that and not touch the rear. They said VW mandates them to do an ACC recalibration if any part of the rear suspension is touched. :rolleyes:

Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:33 am
[user not found] wrote:
Get an oil extractor (wait, do the Mk7s have dipsticks?) and do your own oil changes. It's a top-side filter setup, so you could even do it in dress clothes and not break a sweat.
They do have dipsticks. Where do I dispose of the old oil? Take it to like pep boys right?

At least I'm getting my sagging hoodliner replaced under warranty. So I got that going for me.

Hood liner sagged on my Mk6. I just threw it out.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:33 am
[user not found] wrote:
Get an oil extractor (wait, do the Mk7s have dipsticks?) and do your own oil changes. It's a top-side filter setup, so you could even do it in dress clothes and not break a sweat.
They do have dipsticks. Where do I dispose of the old oil? Take it to like pep boys right?

Every parts store has a used oil drum. Free disposal.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:11 am :gorf: is in for an oil change at 15k. I hit a pretty nasty bump in the road a few weeks ago and was shocked I didn't get a flat so I had them check my ramz. 2 bent pretorias. :(

The front right is pretty bad while the rear is just a small bend. $300 to repair both. My wheel and tire coverage doesn't cover the fix because the tires still hold air. :rolleyes:
I’d be pissed if I bought wheel and tire coverage and it didn’t cover a wheel. Wtf. Sorry about the rams :sad:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:09 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:33 am They do have dipsticks. Where do I dispose of the old oil? Take it to like pep boys right?

I used to take mine to Advance auto in Langhorne. I dump it into a 5 gallon bucket and when the bucket is full, I take it and dump it at Advance.
I bought 2 of these at my local parts store, Napa I think:

https://www.amazon.com/No-Spill-1450-5- ... B000W9JN4S

5 gallon, has a liquid proof lid and handles. Only thing they need is a breather hole for when they get drained, but not my problem....

I got 2 because between the Z06 and the old Camaro a set of oil changes was ~19 quarts.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:47 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:23 pm

I bought 2 of these at my local parts store, Napa I think:

https://www.amazon.com/No-Spill-1450-5- ... B000W9JN4S

5 gallon, has a liquid proof lid and handles. Only thing they need is a breather hole for when they get drained, but not my problem....

I got 2 because between the Z06 and the old Camaro a set of oil changes was ~19 quarts.
:notbad:

I've had a :truk: the last few years so I just throw the bucket in a milk crate in the bed of the truck and strap it to the side.

You could also just pour the oil back into the bottles you bought it in.
Okay, I know you're :trollface: me now. Do you have any idea what kind of mess I would make with 19 quarts trying to go back in the 1 quart bottles?

:pouroneout: :angrypanda: :rage: :doomed: :lolol:

and before anyone gets smart... .yes, sometimes I use the 1 quart bottles.. just depends on what's on sale, the 5 quart jugs or the 6 quart cases when I stock up.
Last edited by CorvetteWaxer on Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:02 pm

I've had a :truk: the last few years so I just throw the bucket in a milk crate in the bed of the truck and strap it to the side.

Okay, I know you're :trollface: me now. Do you have any idea what kind of mess I would make with 19 quarts trying to go back in the 1 quart bottles?

:lolol:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:02 pm

and before anyone gets smart... .yes, sometimes I use the 1 quart bottles.. just depends on what's on sale, the 5 quart jugs or the 6 quart cases when I stock up.
:lolgasm:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:43 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:11 am :gorf: is in for an oil change at 15k. I hit a pretty nasty bump in the road a few weeks ago and was shocked I didn't get a flat so I had them check my ramz. 2 bent pretorias. :(

The front right is pretty bad while the rear is just a small bend. $300 to repair both. My wheel and tire coverage doesn't cover the fix because the tires still hold air. :rolleyes:
I’d be pissed if I bought wheel and tire coverage and it didn’t cover a wheel. Wtf. Sorry about the rams :sad:
Yeah I'm pretty pissed but there's not much I can do.

The car definitely drives better now that the wheels have been fixed though. It maybe pulls slightly to the left but like I said, there's no way to check the alignment unless it's on the rack which is a minimum $100. I was thinking maybe I can check for wear patterns on the tire before my next change but that won't work since I'll have my all seasons on by then. The question now is whether or not I should get an alignment.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:01 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:43 pm

Yeah I'm pretty pissed but there's not much I can do.

The car definitely drives better now that the wheels have been fixed though. It maybe pulls slightly to the left but like I said, there's no way to check the alignment unless it's on the rack which is a minimum $100. I was thinking maybe I can check for wear patterns on the tire before my next change but that won't work since I'll have my all seasons on by then. The question now is whether or not I should get an alignment.
What happens if you get an alignment not at VW and the sensors don’t get recalibrated?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:01 pm Yeah I'm pretty pissed but there's not much I can do.

What happens if you get an alignment not at VW and the sensors don’t get recalibrated?
No clue. I think AWE is like $150 for an alignment doe. What I don't understand is that I have the alignment sheet from the last time a recalibration was done. Why can't they just align it to the same specs so I can avoid the recalibration? They're making it seem like the alignment is almost random.

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I don't know who WCT Performance is but if this part gains traction and gets positive reviews it seems like a worthwhile upgrade.

http://wctperformance.com/wct-performan ... cjtTlbO_Lc
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:19 pm I don't know who WCT Performance is but if this part gains traction and gets positive reviews it seems like a worthwhile upgrade.

A guy on my local Facebook vw group is using it (or something similar) and he loves it. Tracks his R and mentions that it puts his gas pedal at the perfect height for heal-toe.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:54 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:19 pm I don't know who WCT Performance is but if this part gains traction and gets positive reviews it seems like a worthwhile upgrade.

A guy on my local Facebook vw group is using it (or something similar) and he loves it. Tracks his R and mentions that it puts his gas pedal at the perfect height for heal-toe.
I hate how the gas pedal is so far behind the brake on the Mk7. Heel-toe was easy in the Mk6 because of that floor hinged pedal. I loved the way that was set up. The hanging gas pedal on the Mk7 still drives me nuts.

Small stuff like this is what I'll do to the :gorf:. Although rear sway bar is always on my mind.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:17 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:54 pm

I hate how the gas pedal is so far behind the brake on the Mk7. Heel-toe was easy in the Mk6 because of that floor hinged pedal. I loved the way that was set up. The hanging gas pedal on the Mk7 still drives me nuts.

Small stuff like this is what I'll do to the :gorf:. Although rear sway bar is always on my mind.
Jerowe's post is the one I read on Facebook when he was trialing the exact product as a prototype. I thought 1/2" seems conservative at least on my two pedal layout, nonethess, he says it's fantastic on his manual and he runs the R competitively and does well in his class in Canuckistan.

I :wub: the small improvements, they are the 5/7 fix that I need.
Johnny_P

It's cheap and reversible :doit:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:59 am

It's cheap and reversible :doit:
Done. Pedal spacer ordered.

All the forum brehs seem to love it on Mk7 and Vortex.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Pedal spacer installed. As usual with any sort of car install for me, it was kind of a pain in the ass to install. Since I didn't have double sided tape I had to use masking tape to attach the spacer to the back of the pedal. Then I moved it into place. It would not stay put on the back of the pedal box. The plate looks flush when I move the carpet back and there's very little wiggle with it locked down. There was minor side to side without the spacer as well.

On my quick drive the difference is noticeable. I was giving more revs than I had to since I was so used to the gas pedal being so far away. It also seemed a bit more comfortable as my feet were pretty much inline on the pedals. From the pic you can definitely tell the gas pedal is lifted. We'll see how I adjust.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The car looks really kleen! Do you wipe down the piano black often? I stole my wife's makeup brush and dust it off with that whenever i can. Still covered in light scratches when viewed in a certain light.

I thought that the block sits on top of the pedal. This looks 5/7.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:10 pm The car looks really kleen! Do you wipe down the piano black often? I stole my wife's makeup brush and dust it off with that whenever i can. Still covered in light scratches when viewed in a certain light.

I thought that the block sits on top of the pedal. This looks 5/7.
The dust is crazy. I use a swiffer duster on the black plastic and gauges 99% of the time. Occasionally a damp microfiber.

I wish it were that easy. Trying to sandwich it between the pedal and pedal box was incredibly annoying.
Johnny_P

:neat:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Alignment done. Apparently I didn't need much as they said everything was within spec. :iono:

Next up is to call costco to get my ramz and tars rebalanced. Getting a decent amount of vibration at 80+.

Apex
Drives: Abominable

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:10 pm Alignment done. Apparently I didn't need much as they said everything was within spec. :iono:

Next up is to call costco to get my ramz and tars rebalanced. Getting a decent amount of vibration at 80+.

80+ is illegal. :narc:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:10 pm Alignment done. Apparently I didn't need much as they said everything was within spec. :iono:

Costco did a shit job on my tires too, these guys are fucking shit out here. I don't even know how to do as it takes them 1/2 a day to do this shit.