Gberg's GoRf Thread

Strut your greasy stuff!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:47 pm
D Griff wrote:
Random thought... since you're looking to :baby: and :haus: soon - why not get something really fun that won't depreciate and worry about the Seppuku dad machine later? I know it can't work for everyone, but something like a 987 Cayman/Boxtser shouldn't lose much value in a couple years and would be a really :neat: egg departure.
Even a 981 isn't too bad right now. Winter driving a Gayman though?

https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/inv ... c+33699085

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
:iono: winter tires? I've never lived anywhere with much winter weather so I can't really speak to that, but :mahtroy: has the 86 with winters and seems to be doing OK. You could get an AWD 911.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

D Griff wrote:
Random thought... since you're looking to :baby: and :haus: soon - why not get something really fun that won't depreciate and worry about the Seppuku dad machine later? I know it can't work for everyone, but something like a 987 Cayman/Boxtser shouldn't lose much value in a couple years and would be a really :neat: egg departure.

I had many customers winter Cayman/Boxsters.

Just don’t option the 20” wheels - there is no complete set of 20” snow tires out there. If you’re lucky you can find 2 Yokohamas and 2 Pirellis for the rear... or buy a complete winter wheelset.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Base 981 is probably my reasonably attainable dream car. 5/7 would buy over a Golf.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

fledonfoot wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:47 pm Even a 981 isn't too bad right now. Winter driving a Gayman though?

Just don’t option the 20” wheels - there is no complete set of 20” snow tires out there. If you’re lucky you can find 2 Yokohamas and 2 Pirellis for the rear... or buy a complete winter wheelset.
I'd do a separate winter set for sure. How's the 2.7 reliability wise?

It's also probably slower than a :gorf: . But the noise it makes is 10 times better.

MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

987.2 is the sweet spot. No more potential IMS bearing issues.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote:

We had 4" of snow here last week and I saw a Boxter and a Cayman out doing their normal morning commute. :aintcare:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:59 pm
fledonfoot wrote:

I'd do a separate winter set for sure. How's the 2.7 reliability wise?

It's also probably slower than a :gorf: . But the noise it makes is 10 times better.

:whocares: it will be so much more fun. The Eggs are fun, don't get me :wrong: , but a proper sports car is so much more, especially one with the engine in the :notwrong: place.

If you are about to be doing dad stuff for the next 20 years, I'd go for it while the getting's good.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:14 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:59 pm I'd do a separate winter set for sure. How's the 2.7 reliability wise?

:whocares: it will be so much more fun. The Eggs are fun, don't get me :wrong: , but a proper sports car is so much more, especially one with the engine in the :notwrong: place.

If you are about to be doing dad stuff for the next 20 years, I'd go for it while the getting's good.
It's a shit show regarding free time and the spousal support emotionally and domestically for the first five yrs but he could pull a third car setup off if he's not stretched financially. Once a kid is about 5 or older both the mom and said CF usually settle into a groove and needing to be available 24/7 is less of a thing. That's the time to pick up that toy and start finding time for hobbies like autox. I really would love to so a similar thing with something like a sorted out MR2 for up to 10k in my newer future.

As a dad I think something a touch bigger then an egg is ideal but I make it work and I really is a great Jack of all trades if someone is seeking to strike a perfect balance between all measurable categories. I was at the car show today and really had a hard time looking for a suitable next car when the egg finally cracks.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:59 pm I'd do a separate winter set for sure. How's the 2.7 reliability wise?

Where is the right place for the engine ?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:13 am

in the middle or at the very least behind the front axle
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

MrH42 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:07 pm 987.2 is the sweet spot. No more potential IMS bearing issues.
this. those are really good value for money right now too.
brain go brrrrrr
max225

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:14 am
MrH42 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:07 pm 987.2 is the sweet spot. No more potential IMS bearing issues.
I thought they still had some weird issues... cylinder scoring or whatever. It seems like the 2014+ models aren't too bad either.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:21 am

I thought they still had some weird issues... cylinder scoring or whatever. It seems like the 2014+ models aren't too bad either.
I never heard anything when I was looking at them a few years ago
brain go brrrrrr
max225

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:27 am

Yea : :iono: they had such low production numbers from 09-12 that it is really difficult to find solid info.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:13 am
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:13 am

in the middle or at the very least behind the front axle
:dat:

If I ever move on from the :poorvette: in sports car world it would either be to something lighter, mid engine, or both.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:dat: I think if GBerg went this route, this would be the way to go, can be had for :gorf: money and are much newer, generally newer is preferable for DD, IMO.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:11 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:27 am

Yea : :iono: they had such low production numbers from 09-12 that it is really difficult to find solid info.
Yep. 2009-2012 is a great time for 911s too. 997.2 gets direct injection, more power, better reliability, better looks both interior and exterior.

The problem is: economic downturn and basically unlimited options. It's impossible to find a 2009-2012 Cayman, Boxster, or 911 with the options you want at a reasonable price.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I vote fun car. Camaro was awesome. Get one of those.

Sell later when baby pops out.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:00 pm I vote fun car. Camaro was awesome. Get one of those.

Actually since GBerg seems like more of a warranty/new, reliable car kinda guy, this is a great idea. Camaro, Mustang can both be had with a V8 and :manuel: for less than :gorf: money and will be more reliable, way more fun, and are still relatively easy/practical DDs.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Once you go RWD V8 :doe: ... there's not really any going back to :egg: .
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:hai:

I had both of :dat: and it is a bit closer of a competition when an egg has AWD and has 300hp. Not to say it is as fun but the mix of kinda fast and very versatile is a selling point for sure. Also Gberg mentioned that he is sticking with a 4 cyl/6 cyl and that FE matters.

I did watch a Charger RT in red with :rams: roll off the line yesterday and I can't lie, there were feels. Even more of them when a wide body pulled up beside it. :megusta:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:53 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:00 pm I vote fun car. Camaro was awesome. Get one of those.

Actually since GBerg seems like more of a warranty/new, reliable car kinda guy, this is a great idea. Camaro, Mustang can both be had with a V8 and :manuel: for less than :gorf: money and will be more reliable, way more fun, and are still relatively easy/practical DDs.
Yeah Moostang GTs are great cars. The five oh is a pretty rad engine. An R would need winter wheel set, if you’re going to do that regardless the argument for AWD fades rapidly.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:I vote fun car. Camaro was awesome. Get one of those.

Or get a Charger RT and just keep it. Tons of room for making babies in the back.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:27 am
Johnny_P wrote:I vote fun car. Camaro was awesome. Get one of those.

Or get a Charger RT and just keep it. Tons of room for making babies in the back.
They aren't really fun cars the way a Cayman/Boxster, Mustang/Camaro, any real sports car are though. If he's only egged, I think it's worth experiencing before going full dad hauler.

I know I'm a broken record here... but I'm a sports car evangelist, what can I say?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:07 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:27 am Or get a Charger RT and just keep it. Tons of room for making babies in the back.
They aren't really fun cars the way a Cayman/Boxster, Mustang/Camaro, any real sports car are though. If he's only egged, I think it's worth experiencing before going full dad hauler.

I know I'm a broken record here... but I'm a sports car evangelist, what can I say?
Chargers are good for highway cruises, comfortable for roadtrips, but that's about it. Would buy if I live in a flat area and little to no twisties
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.