Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:10 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:18 am

How many bent wheels is that now? 3?
Should be bend 3 get one free. :dillerman:
I mean I bent 17” Denver’s. I just think VW makes their wheels out of weaker material, likely to do better in crash testing.

That sucks hard tho.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:21 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:10 pm

Should be bend 3 get one free. :dillerman:
I mean I bent 17” Denver’s. I just think VW makes their wheels out of weaker material, likely to do better in crash testing.

That sucks hard tho.
Bending a Denver is :impressive:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:25 pm

That sucks hard tho.
It's a 45 series tire :notsure: that's like any other low profile tire
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:34 pm
Tell that to my 30s :lol:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:34 pm It's a 45 series tire :notsure: that's like any other low profile tire
Tell that to my 30s Image
:mahtroy:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:00 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:34 pm

Tell that to my 30s :lol:
I mean, I'm on a 40 series tire now, with approaching the same amount of time in Baghdad, er, South Philly, as the GTI was.... and zero bends on the stock Enkei wheels.

Of course, now watch me blast a pothole on the way home and bend a control arm or some shit.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:18 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:58 pm Dropped the car off this morning. The 5F module just being replaced. Luckily they're in stock at the distributor so it'll be here tomorrow.

Also, front wheel is bent AGAIN along with tire bubbles. Getting a new tar and ram because of the wheel and tar insurance thing I took out. It was only $1k IIRC so it probably almost paid for itself right there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
How many bent wheels is that now? 3?
Yes. 3 bends on the Pretoria's and 2 on the 18" Enkei's. I think this might've been the same wheel that's been bent twice now. Repaired the first time and now it's getting replaced.

I thought the pretoria's were supposed to be strong. I think they're flow formed just like my enkei's are. I know it's not forged but it's stronger than regular cast wheels. :iono:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:25 pm Yes. 3 bends on the Pretoria's and 2 on the 18" Enkei's. I think this might've been the same wheel that's been bent twice now. Repaired the first time and now it's getting replaced.

I thought the pretoria's were supposed to be strong. I think they're flow formed just like my enkei's are. I know it's not forged but it's stronger than regular cast wheels. :iono:
:jesus: 5 bent wheels since you've bought the car? :yikes:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:27 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:25 pm Yes. 3 bends on the Pretoria's and 2 on the 18" Enkei's. I think this might've been the same wheel that's been bent twice now. Repaired the first time and now it's getting replaced.

:jesus: 5 bent wheels since you've bought the car? :yikes:
Yep. :disgust: Never bent a detroit on the Mk6. Or an enkei when they were on in the summer.

:jesus: is telling me to get rid of it.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:30 pm Yep. :disgust: Never bent a detroit on the Mk6. Or an enkei when they were on in the summer.

:jesus: is telling me to get rid of it.
I managed to bend a Detroit on my :turboyaris:, but I didn't know it until I had the tires replaced. Wasn't bad enough to require repair. I cracked the shit out of one of the cheap aftermarket wheels on put on it after, but let that be a lesson in not putting shitty Chinese wheels on your car.
max225

I'd like to see how the "bent" wheel looks. Are these really that soft.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:truk: :truk:
:jeep: :truk:
:jeep: :jeep:

Take your pick and :doit:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

That sucks hard tho.
:dat:
They seem pretty :massles: to me.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:55 pm I'd like to see how the "bent" wheel looks. Are these really that soft.
I think NE roads are really that shitty
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:55 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:55 pm I'd like to see how the "bent" wheel looks. Are these really that soft.
I think NE roads are really that shitty
They are indeed. :wasteful: isn't exaggerating. They're awful.

It's fuckin June and there are still tons of potholes out there.
Johnny_P

70 MPH steering wheel shaking so hard your dash is rattling "bent" is what happened to my Denvers.

I think part of that was the horrific shock tune on the MK6, where it would slam the bump stops all the damn time like someone was under your car with a 40 lb sledgehammer. The STI hardly ever bottoms out like that. What was a 4 times a day occurrence is now a 4 times a year occurrence. Hitting something and having your suspension stop the wheel so abruptly will transfer the entire load onto the tire and into the wheel.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:16 am
70 MPH steering wheel shaking so hard your dash is rattling "bent" is what happened to my Denvers.

I think part of that was the horrific shock tune on the MK6, where it would slam the bump stops all the damn time like someone was under your car with a 40 lb sledgehammer. The STI hardly ever bottoms out like that. What was a 4 times a day occurrence is now a 4 times a year occurrence. Hitting something and having your suspension stop the wheel so abruptly will transfer the entire load onto the tire and into the wheel.
You had one fucked up Mk6 man. :(

Mine has crashed on its bump stops maybe 4-5 times in the 8= years I've owned it, and I can't believe I'm that much better at dodging potholes than you.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

wap wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:03 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:16 am

Mine has crashed on its bump stops maybe 4-5 times in the 8= years I've owned it, and I can't believe I'm that much better at dodging potholes than you.
I had no issues as such in 6 years and 75k miles either. Matter of fact the mk6 suspension was one of my favorite things about the golf. Way more forgiving than my m3. The golf would bottom out with 4+ people though...
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:05 am
wap wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:03 am

I had no issues as such in 6 years and 75k miles either. Matter of fact the mk6 suspension was one of my favorite things about the golf. Way more forgiving than my m3. The golf would bottom out with 4+ people though...
We all drive on different roads in different conditions.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:14 am
max225 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:05 am

My experience was closer to Johnny's. The thing would crash into the bump stops at least a couple times on every drive to and from work just going over spots in the road where buckled up seams had formed little ridges across the road like speed bumps. Every time I got out of the car I'd be in a full :rage:.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:21 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:14 am

My experience was closer to Johnny's. The thing would crash into the bump stops at least a couple times on every drive to and from work just going over spots in the road where buckled up seams had formed little ridges across the road like speed bumps. Every time I got out of the car I'd be in a full :rage:.
Yeah. I ended up the same way. Which is a shame, because on better roads in less hellish conditions it was a nice car. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't like it. MK7 is an improvement though from everything I've heard.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:56 am Yeah. I ended up the same way. Which is a shame, because on better roads in less hellish conditions it was a nice car. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't like it. MK7 is an improvement though from everything I've heard.
It really was. My wife and I took the MK6 down to southern Indiana for a weekend trip and spent one evening doing nothing but driving around the tight, twisting roads through the forests after dinner. The :turboyaris: did great with that, for what it was. But in urban driving with pockmarked and buckling roads all over, the ride was just punishing. The STi easily absorbed more of those bigger impacts, as does the MK7 but with better manners over the jittery bumps as well.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

First autocross with the R is in the books. Felt a ton of understeer, especially on the comeback turn. Maybe I was just over-driving but these pirellis scream like crazy.

We had 5 runs today with my fastest being the 49.013 below. I started with initial pressures at 42 front and 45 rear but then lowered the fronts to 40 hoping to get more bite. I also think I messed up and should've ran full ESC off. I had it in ESC Sport for all my runs.

I finished pretty much mid-pack. I was off the pace of a few Mk7 GTI's and ST's but I'm pretty sure they were running RE71R's.

Any tips to improve on tomorrow?

max225

#1 Dick Sucker ?

How far off their times were you?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:26 pm #1 Dick Sucker ?

How far off their times were you?
:lolol:

Pretty much. I usually go for simple numbers like 1, 10, or 11 because I always used painters tape and didn’t feel like putting some crazy number on the side of the car with it. I just bought the magnets this week and traced out the 1 since I had already reserved it.

I was 1.836 seconds off the fastest GTI. So I guess that's not too bad considering the tire difference.