Gberg's GoRf Thread

Strut your greasy stuff!
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Apex wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:09 am Well that was bigger than expected.
:hue:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:11 pm
Tarspin wrote:So what's the idea behind the software Update? Does it change the fuel map during the starting sequence?
No idea. My SA basically said the ECU was throwing erroneous error codes. Maybe I need to send him on better vacations.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
dont you have a JB4 or something?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Apex wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:09 am Image
Lights up on Christmas Day, :notsure: if it thinks it is a Christmas tree?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:07 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:11 pm No idea. My SA basically said the ECU was throwing erroneous error codes. Maybe I need to send him on better vacations.

dont you have a JB4 or something?
Negative. No t00n or piggyback box for my :gorf:.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Tarspin wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:21 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:09 am Image
i got the wife that for christmas. She loved it.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:53 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:21 pm

:like: :like:
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Tarspin wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:21 pm
dubshow wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:53 pm

:like: :like:
Thats really cool! :like: :like: :like: :like:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Quick :gorf: update for today after a diller visit.

First. Got an oil change sample which will be sent to Blackstone. I anticipate them saying the oil will be fine for 10k changes.

Second is in regards to my steering wheel vibration at highway speeds. They said all 4 of my ramz are bent so when I checked for myself I saw that the rears were worse and the fronts are very slight. They want $150 per wheel to straighten so that's $600. These enkei's are only $230 each so now I'm kind of thinking I have 3 options. Pay and get them all straightened, dump the worst ones and buy a couple new ones, or dump them altogether and go for the 18" Pretoria's.

The diller also confirmed what I suspected in regards to my alignment. The independent shop I took it to didn't in fact align the car. They just took my $100 and said I'm within spec and while I am, it's just barely. Of course the diller wants to do the recalibration for $500+ so I'm all :nope:. When I said that he mentioned I'd have to sign a waiver if I got an alignment without calibration. :dafuq:. I'll call around to other dillers. Do I really want to sign a waiver for something like this?

As far as the creaky struts go, they were unable to replicate it but at least I have it documented now.

razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:13 pm Quick :gorf: update for today after a diller visit.

First. Got an oil change sample which will be sent to Blackstone. I anticipate them saying the oil will be fine for 10k changes.

Second is in regards to my steering wheel vibration at highway speeds. They said all 4 of my ramz are bent so when I checked for myself I saw that the rears were worse and the fronts are very slight. They want $150 per wheel to straighten so that's $600. These enkei's are only $230 each so now I'm kind of thinking I have 3 options. Pay and get them all straightened, dump the worst ones and buy a couple new ones, or dump them altogether and go for the 18" Pretoria's.

The diller also confirmed what I suspected in regards to my alignment. The independent shop I took it to didn't in fact align the car. They just took my $100 and said I'm within spec and while I am, it's just barely. Of course the diller wants to do the recalibration for $500+ so I'm all :nope:. When I said that he mentioned I'd have to sign a waiver if I got an alignment without calibration. :dafuq:. I'll call around to other dillers. Do I really want to sign a waiver for something like this?

As far as the creaky struts go, they were unable to replicate it but at least I have it documented now.

:impressive:

How does one do this on all 4 wheels? Did you hit something at speed?
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

razr390 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:23 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:13 pm Quick :gorf: update for today after a diller visit.

max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I don’t get it either, given the near 3k bill here for getting new wheels etc perhaps insurance claim time ?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Because he lives in philly suburbs? :iono: dont you remember how many where stopped on shoulder on the way to zilhuge
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:06 am

Because he lives in philly suburbs? :iono: dont you remember how many where stopped on shoulder on the way to zilhuge
usually bending 1-2 wheels (mostly on the same side) is I guess "normal" but all 4? I am trying not to assume they are all bent from the same occurrence but :iono:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I definitely didn't bend them all at once. I guess it just happened over time. I really don't remember hitting anything big with them. This is the second season they've been my winter wheels. Before that they were summer only on the GTI.

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:56 am I definitely didn't bend them all at once. I guess it just happened over time. I really don't remember hitting anything big with them. This is the second season they've been my winter wheels. Before that they were summer only on the GTI.

:dat:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:47 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:06 am

usually bending 1-2 wheels (mostly on the same side) is I guess "normal" but all 4? I am trying not to assume they are all bent from the same occurrence but :iono:
I mean it obviously happened overtime, and not to mention winter wheels and roads are worse after it snows, because plows theoretically make potholes sometimes instigated by ice. Just :science:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Holy shit man :sad: my enkei wheels are faring better but they’re a -1 size. They’re generally known to be a decent wheel maker wtf.

I’d dump them. Get better wheels. Fixing them will only result in more bends later on esp true if all 4 are trashed. Find some GTI takeoffs like Rudy’s car came with those were neat wheels.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:03 pm Holy shit man :sad: my enkei wheels are faring better but they’re a -1 size. They’re generally known to be a decent wheel maker wtf.

I’d dump them. Get better wheels. Fixing them will only result in more bends later on esp true if all 4 are trashed. Find some GTI takeoffs like Rudy’s car came with those were neat wheels.
All :dat:

Get some cash for the enkeis and move the tars to the mk7.5 GTI wheels, those look pretty sharp. Or just downsize to 17s which is what I'm rolling on and totally think they're rad.
Last edited by Tar on Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:03 pm Holy shit man :sad: my enkei wheels are faring better but they’re a -1 size. They’re generally known to be a decent wheel maker wtf.

Yeah. The fronts aren't too bad though. If I switch it'll definitely be for some type of oem wheel. I don't wanna have to deal with hub rings and different lug bolts. Wanna keep it simple. Neuspeed has wheels like that but I'm not sure of their quality.

And I've been driving into the city quite a bit lately. I have no idea how you do it. If I had been taking the gorf down I'd probably be in even worse shape.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:27 pm

Yeah. The fronts aren't too bad though. If I switch it'll definitely be for some type of oem wheel. I don't wanna have to deal with hub rings and different lug bolts. Wanna keep it simple. Neuspeed has wheels like that but I'm not sure of their quality.

And I've been driving into the city quite a bit lately. I have no idea how you do it. If I had been taking the gorf down I'd probably be in even worse shape.
I drive slow and pick routes carefully to avoid the worst roads. STI doesn’t really ever bottom out though.

Yeah OEM rams are likely the strongest pick.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I should probably just buy the 18" pretoria and be done with it. They're $307 a piece from DAP. Neuspeeds can be had in 18x8 with a different offset at a similar price but OEM might be the way to go.

:iono: I only have to last 2 more months on the enkei's before the summers go back on. I can decide over the summer.

https://www.shopdap.com/5g0-071-498-a-ax1-vw-audi.html

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-neuspeed-pa ... .11.03bkt/
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-neuspeed-pa ... .52.03bkt/
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

The Konig flowformed lineup seems like a good value at $220-$230/ea, and should be fairly strong. If I manage to not rage quit this thing I plan on getting a set of Ampliforms eventually.

Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:39 pm The Konig flowformed lineup seems like a good value at $220-$230/ea, and should be fairly strong. If I manage to not rage quit this thing I plan on getting a set of Ampliforms eventually.

I would be very wary of Konig. I had a set of rams from them years ago and they bent and went out of center. Maybe they are better now.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:02 pm I would be very wary of Konig. I had a set of rams from them years ago and they bent and went out of center. Maybe they are better now.
The flowformed line should be. I'd run from anything gravity or low-pressure cast unless it's from someone like BBS where they just use more material to make up for the weaker casting process.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:47 pm I should probably just buy the 18" pretoria and be done with it. They're $307 a piece from DAP. Neuspeeds can be had in 18x8 with a different offset at a similar price but OEM might be the way to go.

:iono: I only have to last 2 more months on the enkei's before the summers go back on. I can decide over the summer.

https://www.shopdap.com/5g0-071-498-a-ax1-vw-audi.html

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-neuspeed-pa ... .11.03bkt/
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-neuspeed-pa ... .52.03bkt/
Aren't these the "winter" setup? I'd honestly just find some stock forum rejects for under $800... Wouldn't spend $1200 on ramz alone for winter use.

Also Neuspeed for a while had peeling clear coat issues. Why the fuck do I know this shit. Might want to look into it and see if that's been corrected.

If you're spending big money get Prodrives :megusta: