C6 Vert Manuel. Car for Motorcycle Lovers Who Also Value Skin

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Moddzzzz YAAASSSS

Can you get away with headers? Headers are a great sound and performance mod, especially with a tune.

I wonder if you can swap a later C6 wheel directly onto your column? That's the best way to go for a smaller wheel, IMO. It's a pain for C5's, but you might get lucky.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Yeah one or two things at a time, headers and a tune is probably the logical first move.

Steering wheel removal looks pretty simple doe:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6 ... pring.html
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Tarspin wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:23 pm Yeah one or two things at a time, headers and a tune is probably the logical first move.

:nope:
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I didn't think I'd squeeze in a car wash but mother nature did most of the work. Nicely tucked away after a torrential downpour and quick wipe down.
:fuckyeah:
ImageImage
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:23 pm Yeah one or two things at a time, headers and a tune is probably the logical first move.

Steering wheel is pretty simple. As long as the wheel hasn't welded itself to the shaft like :melon:

I got mine switched in half an hour tops.

But headers and tune will likely solve most of your brub issues.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:15 pm I didn't think I'd squeeze in a car wash but mother nature did most of the work. Nicely tucked away after a torrential downpour and quick wipe down.
ImageImage

I wish I could drive mine. :( But at least I haven't put insurance on it yet :scrooge:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:

Steering wheel is pretty simple. As long as the wheel hasn't welded itself to the shaft like :melon:

I got mine switched in half an hour tops.

But headers and tune will likely solve most of your brub issues.
Yeah but look at the size of that guy. He probably bent his steering column muscling that poor thing around an autox course :trollface:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:58 pm Moddzzzz YAAASSSS

Can you get away with headers? Headers are a great sound and performance mod, especially with a tune.

I wonder if you can swap a later C6 wheel directly onto your column? That's the best way to go for a smaller wheel, IMO. It's a pain for C5's, but you might get lucky.
My friend with a 2013 C63 Coupe has Renntech headers and muffler delete. The car sounds LEGIT demonic.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote:
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:58 pm Moddzzzz YAAASSSS

My friend with a 2013 C63 Coupe has Renntech headers and muffler delete. The car sounds LEGIT demonic.
I can see myself doing the headers, and if more bubs are needed then I might go cat-back. Each upgrade brings new joy, the 390s are worth their weight in gold. Such good times with the tighter gearing. I'm probably shifting twice as much in spirited driving then I was with 342s
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:42 pm
razr390 wrote:
I can see myself doing the headers, and if more bubs are needed then I might go cat-back. Each upgrade brings new joy, the 390s are worth their weight in gold. Such good times with the tighter gearing. I'm probably shifting twice as much in spirited driving then I was with 342s
I have yet to read a single review of anyone changing the gears and later regretting it. Universally, it seems to be heralded as the best mod for a C5/.5. I can't wait to get mine going.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Oh yeah I think you'll love them. Come to think of it, the ratio between 390 and 410 is pretty close.

390/342=14%
410/342=20%

From that perspective there's only an additional 6% tightening of ratios. Does that make sense? I bet they feel similar.

I'm going to look into headers near the end of the season, maybe land a good deal somewhere.
ChrisoftheNorth

Yea, 4.10 and 3.90 are really similar from what I can find. That's why I went with 4.10 because why not.

Check out
http://shop.huronspeedproducts.com/XSPo ... C6LTHS.htm

These are what I have on my car and they're pretty solid, especially for the price. Not sure when they'll get more in stock, but they usually don't stay out of stock long.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Did you get catted? Have you seen a 30hp gain? I guess with a tune that sounds reasonable.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:20 am Did you get catted? Have you seen a 30hp gain? I guess with a tune that sounds reasonable.
Yep, catted. I'm not sure what the gain was, but it dyno'd at 350whp/350wtq after the tune...which is what it was rated at the FW from the factory. which probably means something in the 25-35 whp ballpark.

The thing about headers is not only power, but sound. More pops on decel, more free-flowing sound overall. It should be the #1 power mod on these things. Then if you want more sound, get some sort of restrained axle back. I'm running stock C5Z Titanium mufflers on mine. Not an option for you, but something along those lines is a perfect sound, IMO. Not too loud, but still loud enough for :jimp:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Sounds perfect
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

A swirly sesspool of diff fluid and metal dust sitting in the sun after its first change on 3.90s. I went about 1500 miles on the fluid. Probably should have done it after 500 or 1000.

Such an easy job but I can never drain or fill without making a mess of my garage floor.

Clean as a whistle back there otherwise. 5/7 satisfied with that work.

I still really love the 3.90s and don't have any feeling of remorse not going 4.10s. Car just feels right.Image
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:42 pm
razr390 wrote:
You mean there are no emissions laws in Toronto? That would not have been my guess.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:42 pm I can see myself doing the headers, and if more bubs are needed then I might go cat-back. Each upgrade brings new joy, the 390s are worth their weight in gold. Such good times with the tighter gearing. I'm probably shifting twice as much in spirited driving then I was with 342s
You mean there are no emissions laws in Toronto? That would not have been my guess.
There are definitely emission laws and they check the cars every two years. They gone from sensors in the tail pipe to a computer diagnostic. Essentially I'm pretty sure the car passes if it's free of a check engine light.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Alternatively, I've heard people see pretty good gains from stock Z06 headers back plus a tune. Adding a switch to go from bro to stock would be nice too. I've been keeping my eye on the classifieds but no dice.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 7:45 pm A swirly sesspool of diff fluid and metal dust sitting in the sun after its first change on 3.90s. I went about 1500 miles on the fluid. Probably should have done it after 500 or 1000.

Such an easy job but I can never drain or fill without making a mess of my garage floor.

I still really love the 3.90s and don't have any feeling of remorse not going 4.10s. Car just feels right.Image
Fluid should be changed after 500 miles. :yeahok:

BTW, do your gears make any noise...whine, etc?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 7:45 pm A swirly sesspool of diff fluid and metal dust sitting in the sun after its first change on 3.90s. I went about 1500 miles on the fluid. Probably should have done it after 500 or 1000.

Fluid should be changed after 500 miles. :yeahok:

I heard 500, then 1000 from someone else. I don't think it's super critical because it's essentially the same as buying a new car with a new diff so why isn't a new car's interval 500 or 1000 miles? I did want to get the fluid out though, just been too busy with work and family stuff until today. It feels good to have it done.

I just parked outside of a grocery store and checked your msg before I left. I drove up to 50 mph in various driving and pulled the clutch at essentially every 10 mph interval. Once the engine note died down all I could hear is idling and tires with the roof down. I don't really know what gear whine sounds like but if it's quieter then the engine at idle then maybe, otherwise no.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Tarspin wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 9:22 pmI don't think it's super critical because it's essentially the same as buying a new car with a new diff so why isn't a new car's interval 500 or 1000 miles?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

About the whine though, I don't remember what it sounded like originally so it might have been louder at first.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 9:22 pm
Detroit wrote: Fluid should be changed after 500 miles. :yeahok:

I heard 500, then 1000 from someone else. I don't think it's super critical because it's essentially the same as buying a new car with a new diff so why isn't a new car's interval 500 or 1000 miles? I did want to get the fluid out though, just been too busy with work and family stuff until today. It feels good to have it done.

I just parked outside of a grocery store and checked your msg before I left. I drove up to 50 mph in various driving and pulled the clutch at essentially every 10 mph interval. Once the engine note died down all I could hear is idling and tires with the roof down. I don't really know what gear whine sounds like but if it's quieter then the engine at idle then maybe, otherwise no.
I think mine is making some whine above 60mph. Hard to tell because it's pretty quiet and the rest of the tire noise is so loud. I'm going to take it to the diff shop once I have the car final tuned to have them check it out, but wanted to see if it's "normal" or whatever.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 9:22 pm I heard 500, then 1000 from someone else. I don't think it's super critical because it's essentially the same as buying a new car with a new diff so why isn't a new car's interval 500 or 1000 miles? I did want to get the fluid out though, just been too busy with work and family stuff until today. It feels good to have it done.

I think mine is making some whine above 60mph. Hard to tell because it's pretty quiet and the rest of the tire noise is so loud. I'm going to take it to the diff shop once I have the car final tuned to have them check it out, but wanted to see if it's "normal" or whatever.
Definitely get it checked. I'd even go again after 1500miles if there's any noise. I feel like mine loosened up a lot since new.