Kamry XSE impressions and further updates

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:36 am
razr390 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:10 am
I thought the post said warranty until 2021 anyways? Which means you could go full balls to the wall to get shit fixed before no warranty
:dat:

One more thought since I did a 2hr drive this am dropping off my rents' at the airport.

Pros:
The trunk size is excellent, it fit all their bags+ my shit i take with me to work.
3 of us are reasonably comfortable in the car. This is as small as a car should get for 3/4 people. Perfect size.

Cons: queue Johnny issues.
first the ride was fucking bouncy AF, partially due to our bombed out roads and partially because the car was loaded with around 650lbs of humans+luggage. My dad was bobbing around the front seat at low speeds. :disgust:
The lights were sort of blah... and these are upgrades, but rain+ other shit in the am made shit hard to see. :wtf:
I ended up hitting a pot hole... i literally ditched about 30, but i couldn't' ditch them all, I was swerving around like a fucking moron all across the lane, and others probably thought I was insane.
This was so fking loud thud, I had to walk around and see if i Popped/bent wheel but it seems ok, it was only 2/3" deep but I was going 55, there were craters like this constantly all over the place,
My car still picks up way too many rocks due to sticky tires(and our terrible roads) which end up hitting the inside of the wheel liners creating a constant metal coin in a tin jar sound. :disgust:
my rents also commented on how the car is super stiff+loud.

This made me realize how "nice" my commute actually is.... :wtf: And also that driving my car is actually quite stressful under these conditions. I think I need to think about this one some more. As much as I love the car and how amazing it is... it is not suitable for all conditions... or as many conditions as I initially had hoped for. These wheels have got to go.
All the same issues I have with my car except the lights and rocks. Only mine is an MT so add that frustration as well. Driving a vehicle that you don't have to worry about any of this shit is so liberating.

Seriously though, intentionally take it into SF proper and drive it around for a day and see what you think of it. Benefit here is you already have the exact same car, so it's easy to test it out per se.
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:55 am

One more thought since I did a 2hr drive this am dropping off my rents' at the airport.

Pros:
The trunk size is excellent, it fit all their bags+ my shit i take with me to work.
3 of us are reasonably comfortable in the car. This is as small as a car should get for 3/4 people. Perfect size.

first the ride was fucking bouncy AF, partially due to our bombed out roads and partially because the car was loaded with around 650lbs of humans+luggage. My dad was bobbing around the front seat at low speeds. :disgust:
The lights were sort of blah... and these are upgrades, but rain+ other shit in the am made shit hard to see. :wtf:
I ended up hitting a pot hole... i literally ditched about 30, but i couldn't' ditch them all, I was swerving around like a fucking moron all across the lane, and others probably thought I was insane.
This was so fking loud thud, I had to walk around and see if i Popped/bent wheel but it seems ok, it was only 2/3" deep but I was going 55, there were craters like this constantly all over the place,
My car still picks up way too many rocks due to sticky tires(and our terrible roads) which end up hitting the inside of the wheel liners creating a constant metal coin in a tin jar sound. :disgust:

This made me realize how "nice" my commute actually is.... :wtf: And also that driving my car is actually quite stressful under these conditions. I think I need to think about this one some more. As much as I love the car and how amazing it is... it is not suitable for all conditions... or as many conditions as I initially had hoped for. These wheels have got to go.
Sounds like you need a :gorf:

:iono:

-4Motion
-Looks great
-6 year/72,000 Mike B2B/Powertrain warranty
-Great lighting package
-virtual cockpit
-Bluetooth/CarPlay standard
-bloo (and possibly spektrum colors?)
-practical AF
-fits 17’s
-familiar platform
-huge aftermarket support if that floats your boat.
-minimal cost of ownershit
With 17s it might be a good pick. My GTI was super frustrating to drive inner city stuff. It was worse than the STI. Suspension would never calm the fuck down, always wobbling, power delivery was atrocious, heat soak was a real thing that happened every single drive, and I'm still salty on the VW ownership aspect.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:09 pm

-4Motion
-Looks great
-Great lighting package
-virtual cockpit
-practical AF
-fits 17’s
-familiar platform
With 17s it might be a good pick. My GTI was super frustrating to drive inner city stuff. It was worse than the STI. Suspension would never calm the fuck down, always wobbling, power delivery was atrocious, heat soak was a real thing that happened every single drive, and I'm still salty on the VW ownership aspect.
Without too much :koolaid: the new 7’s and 7.5’s are way better than the 6’s. I’ve owned an mk6 golf, mk6 GTI, and now a 7.5 GTI and I can vouch for the new MQB platform, Performance Pack LSD, etc. making the GTI a fun to drive FWD. Can’t imagine that the Gorf is worse because it has more power, some sort of AWD, and chassis control alongside drive modes.

I think it’s a lot of car for $20k less than the used m3 buy in. And it’s definitely more streetable/parkable than the m3
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Pros:

-4Motion
-Looks great
-Great lighting package
-virtual cockpit
-practical AF
-fits 17’s
-familiar platform
A used Golf R is a good call, but the factory 19s are just as shitty as my dubs. Same exact issues as my M3. It doesn't solve much...
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:18 pm

-4Motion
-Looks great
-Great lighting package
-virtual cockpit
-practical AF
-fits 17’s
-familiar platform
A used Golf R is a good call, but the factory 19s are just as shitty as my dubs. Same exact issues as my M3. It doesn't solve much...
If you get a used Gorf with Pretoria’s you can get like $1200 for the wheels (without tires) and just get a nice set of 17’s or 18’s.

Can confirm that 17” Denver’s will fit on the Golf R since my GTI has the same brakes up front. It just BARELY clears but it’s possible.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:59 am

Pros:

Get 18s now, swap them on to your next ride.
:dat: is something I would look into. See if a forumbro is selling a set or something so you can test the smaller wheels for a few before you make any larger purchases.
max225

razr390 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:20 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:18 pm
If you get a used Gorf with Pretoria’s you can get like $1200 for the wheels (without tires) and just get a nice set of 17’s or 18’s.

Can confirm that 17” Denver’s will fit on the Golf R since my GTI has the same brakes up front. It just BARELY clears but it’s possible.
Right I get it, but I am trying to say that's the exact same situation as now. Big wheels + sporty chassis tuning. Having had both of these cars the BMW rides nicer than the golf... maybe not the M3 :doe: but in terms of chassis the BMW is superior, so it doesn't quite make sense to get an R and then throw small wheels on it, as I will achieve the same effect in an M3 with 18s.
max225

Apex wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:23 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:59 am

Get 18s now, swap them on to your next ride.
:dat: is something I would look into. See if a forumbro is selling a set or something so you can test the smaller wheels for a few before you make any larger purchases.
Car is done in 5 months.... I don't think throwing a $2000 set of wheels on it is going to make my life better. IMA wait this one out. I should test drive a base model :doe: not the :fullretard: competition packaged car.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:10 am
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:34 am

Yea, but it is already 20k off a “new one”. I liked that one in particular as it has the exact color and option combo that I wanted. Clean m3s seem to bottom out at around 20k up to 100k miles. So the depreciation here is up to 40k, for the next 6-7 years, so ~450-550 a month if I decide to keep it that long. Shorter stunts would bring the price up... that’s around what I’m paying now...
Right...so how long you can keep it is a major factor. 6-7 years is an eternity in :plac: time. Might kill you actually. Think of all the sleepless nights being stuck in a car you no longer love!
It will never happen. Buying that blue M3 is purely filler for this thread. He's just going to go scavenge some other Peter Poon's lease.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

razr390 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:40 pm
wap wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:26 pm

:howdareu:
I’ll just hard park my way out of it.
:hue:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:06 pm
Right...so how long you can keep it is a major factor. 6-7 years is an eternity in :plac: time. Might kill you actually. Think of all the sleepless nights being stuck in a car you no longer love!
It will never happen. Buying that blue M3 is purely filler for this thread. He's just going to go scavenge some other Peter Poon's lease.
If lease acquisition is the name of the game I'd try and find a Benzo GLC for discount off some azn brogrammer badgewhore.

And remember.... no lit star no care.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:21 pm

If lease acquisition is the name of the game I'd try and find a Benzo GLC for discount off some azn brogrammer badgewhore.

max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

It was the most requested option by their dealer network. And the number of lit stars as of late has been :mindblown: Every other one.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:25 pm

It was the most requested option by their dealer network. And the number of lit stars as of late has been :mindblown: Every other one.
That’s because it’s LIT 🔥
max225

There really aren't many for sale. I mean what would be the reason to get rid of a near new benzo? Unless you're making even more. Peter Poon got a P car. Which makes sense. I suppose someone upgrading from MB to P car makes more sense as well.
max225

Not super interseted. It would have to be a 3rd F30/80 BMW as the new gen isn't out yet for takeovers and the rates have gone up significantly since 15-16 model years. :member: Zil sold a 240i for like close to 1k a month (when you consider drive offs) and that thing was a lease.
max225

Ok I was giving this a bit more thought. Apparently you can get around 5k off "remaining" 2018 Model 3s. The model I want is the dual motor non performance + blue + autopilot. Total price is 51k (msrp) another 7k off thanks to .gov + that discount it makes it quite a compelling package.

Nothing else with a 300mile range + awd + electric under 40k, and given that we're at $4 a gallon now, it would be around $200 a month in "gas savings" as I can charge at work for free or at home for 1/5th of the cost of filling up.

I don't mind the way the car looks and it seems to be quite fun to drive, it is also completely different from anything else, which is my main draw to it.

In my mind it is likely that or a JLUR
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:13 pm Ok I was giving this a bit more thought. Apparently you can get around 5k off "remaining" 2018 Model 3s. The model I want is the dual motor non performance + blue + autopilot. Total price is 51k (msrp) another 7k off thanks to .gov + that discount it makes it quite a compelling package.

Nothing else with a 300mile range + awd + electric under 40k, and given that we're at $4 a gallon now, it would be around $200 a month in "gas savings" as I can charge at work for free or at home for 1/5th of the cost of filling up.

I don't mind the way the car looks and it seems to be quite fun to drive, it is also completely different from anything else, which is my main draw to it.

I think it's worth a look if you have a place to charge it. Think about it. Never go to a gas station again.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I think the Model 3 is super compelling. As long as your personal charging network is solid (at work, at home, etc) and you don't got on a lot of long trips, it's a great option.

Oh, and hopefully the company doesn't go belly up and owners can't get service parts anymore.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:47 am I think the Model 3 is super compelling. As long as your personal charging network is solid (at work, at home, etc) and you don't got on a lot of long trips, it's a great option.

Oh, and hopefully the company doesn't go belly up and owners can't get service parts anymore.
Trips are fine thanks to superchargers, but I wonder if the network is getting taxed now that they have 60k more cars on the road every 3 months
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:30 am
max225 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:13 pm Ok I was giving this a bit more thought. Apparently you can get around 5k off "remaining" 2018 Model 3s. The model I want is the dual motor non performance + blue + autopilot. Total price is 51k (msrp) another 7k off thanks to .gov + that discount it makes it quite a compelling package.

I think it's worth a look if you have a place to charge it. Think about it. Never go to a gas station again.
I do hate gas stations... :-/
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The Dual Motor Model 3s also haul major ass. That's the major draw of the Tesla to me, not fuel savings. Mash the throttle, and WHOOSH!
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:57 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:47 am I think the Model 3 is super compelling. As long as your personal charging network is solid (at work, at home, etc) and you don't got on a lot of long trips, it's a great option.

Trips are fine thanks to superchargers, but I wonder if the network is getting taxed now that they have 60k more cars on the road every 3 months
This is why I wouldn't count on superchargers in your area.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:03 am The Dual Motor Model 3s also haul major ass. That's the major draw of the Tesla to me, not fuel savings. Mash the throttle, and WHOOSH!
Absolutely.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:03 am The Dual Motor Model 3s also haul major ass. That's the major draw of the Tesla to me, not fuel savings. Mash the throttle, and WHOOSH!
Well it’s the whole package. I also want to see what it’s like to drive an electric car daily. It’s a completely different experience from gasoline