Kamry XSE impressions and further updates

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

So... I have been really slow to post updates because I simply haven't driven it yet. I was busy de-modding the Earth destroyer etc.

But here are my initial impressions. I try to be very honest and non biased in my car impressions so I'll post up the good and the bad.

First things first.
NO THIS IS NOT THE BEST CAR IN THE WORLD, AND NOT EVEN CLOSE. ZOMG.
I wouldn't spend anywhere near what this car costs on it, because frankly I don't think the price tag is warranted. And yes I am VERY happy with my purchase because I basically get to long term RENT this car and give it back 0FG.

Lets start with the good.

1. Ergonomics are excellent, all the buttons etc are where you want them to be, the seats/steering wheel are very comfortable etc.
2. The cars size is perfect. I think this is the perfect size for a 4 door sedan, not too big not too small.
3. I really like the way this car looks, inside and out.
4. The brakes are excellent (Waxable calipers all around)
5. This is the best non DSGAY auto I have ever driven.
6. The ride is excellent, it is almost too firm, but exactly what you'd expect for a sport sedan.
7. The road noise/insulation is great. It is a very refined car.
8. The interior quality is excellent no part of the car looks cheap inside, real aluminum trim, metal shifter paddles, great black headliner etc, good leather. Overall excellent interior that is worthy of some of this price tag.
9. The stereo is excellent, after I dicked around with the HK uprated stereo I got it where I wanted it, the AZN Mk1s Burmeister may be a bit better doe. But this is still very very good.

Lets talk about the not so good.
1. This is a near 60k M sport model... I'd expect some near M3 performance thanks to the near M3 price... however some things fall short.
2. The mechanical grip is NOT impressive. I don't care what the mags say etc. While this car does have a GREAT suspension and you can certainly feel the great balance of 50/50, BUT... taking on ramps etc at speed is a bit of a let down. The 225s up front are WAY too fucking small... I think whoever at BMW decided to do that should be fucking shot. Same size tire as a 320i. :disgust: That's Not ok and my main complaint about the car.
3. The engine is not impressive either. Yes this is not quite the :dedong: motor of the m3. But I expected more. It feels VERY linear, there is NO turbo lag at all, none that I can feel. No where near my TDI or gti etc. The larger displacement and twin scroll are tuned to be super linear. But this thing is NOT fast... I am pretty sure my Z was faster or at least felt faster. Maybe because of the lack of "refinement etc". Yes my expectations were HIGH but they should be considering the cost of the car.
4. This car sounds like NOTHING. There is some noise, but it is boring, hell the mk7 GTI with conductor sounds amazing compared to this. Just way too quiet.

So overall, I think this is a good car and it will be a fun 16 months for me, but I certainly would want more performance than this.

That's my quick take for now... I will update it more once I get some daily driving in etc.

Last edited by max225 on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

And yes I have not taken a single decent picture of it yet, because I haven't had the time :( just potatoe iPhone 6s pics.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Remind me, what engine is in this one?

I think some tires would solve your handing complaints.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Car is great because it's quiet but lackluster because it's quiet.

:plac:
max225

troyguitar wrote:Car is great because it's quiet but lackluster because it's quiet.

I want engine noise at wot, and I don't care for road noise. Seems like something any sane human would want
Last edited by max225 on Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

Melon wrote:Remind me, what engine is in this one?

N55. New tires would mean new wheels and this is a rental so it ain't gonna happen. That would be setting money on fire
troyguitar

maxtdi wrote:
troyguitar wrote:Car is great because it's quiet but lackluster because it's quiet.

I want engine noise at wot, and I don't care for raid noise. Seems like something any sane human would want
:word:

I agree. I haven't been in any cars like that though, they're all either loud or not.
max225

troyguitar wrote:
maxtdi wrote: I want engine noise at wot, and I don't care for raid noise. Seems like something any sane human would want
:word:

I agree. I haven't been in any cars like that though, they're all either loud or not.
Id think the NPP ls powered cars are like that ?
troyguitar

maxtdi wrote:
troyguitar wrote: :word:

Id think the NPP ls powered cars are like that ?
Maybe the SS or new camaro? Corvettes all have loud road/wind noise.

Best bet is probably an audi/bmw/lexus with aftermarket exhaust for that - which I kind of want to do one day.
max225

troyguitar wrote:
maxtdi wrote: Id think the NPP ls powered cars are like that ?
Maybe the SS or new camaro? Corvettes all have loud road/wind noise.

Best bet is probably an audi/bmw/lexus with aftermarket exhaust for that - which I kind of want to do one day.
I literally think the m3 fixes every one of my gripes. Maybe a c43 AMG or whatever they are calling this tear now that it is the 3rd name in 3 years for the same car.
But it is awd and kinda porky.

Then there is always a hellcat ... or a srt 392 they all sound excellent.

Also curious about the refinement level of a gt350 but all those cars are pretty damn pricy
troyguitar

V8 vantage, E92 M3, or even RCF would do it for me as far as best sound in a DD-friendly car.

I kind of think that an older car could do it too without being so expensive, like E34 530i with a handful of mods. Dat tiny V8.
max225

That engine doesn't sound all that great. I much prefer a higher displacement v8. The last gen c63 AMG sounds epic
troyguitar

No :manuel: on the benz :doe:

I haven't actually been in a 530 V8 so I don't know for sure, but I've never heard a small displacement 8+ cylinder DOHC motor that didn't sound great with the right exhaust.

Hell an old lexus 1UZ 4.0 would be awesome with a :manuel: swap. 300 hp and will run for eternity, perfect for DD.
max225

troyguitar wrote:No :manuel: on the benz :doe:

I haven't actually been in a 530 V8 so I don't know for sure, but I've never heard a small displacement 8+ cylinder DOHC motor that didn't sound great with the right exhaust.

Hell an old lexus 1UZ 4.0 would be awesome with a :manuel: swap. 300 hp and will run for eternity, perfect for DD.
I dunno my old fraud with the 4.6 dohc didn't sound that great with the vee 8. I am also not the hugest fan of the gt350 exhaust note. It just sounds too much like a straight pipe with glass packs. But I only heard it ok jewtube...
Sound is pretty specific to a person though ... I love the way the new ls/lt engines sound they are my favorite.
troyguitar

Yep it's 100% subjective. It's also very different from the driver's seat vs from the outside. My friend's stock NB miata for example is nearly silent from a distance watching him at autox but actually sounds pretty damn decent from inside the car.

My car sounds really bassy from a distance which I actually don't like - but from inside there's a bunch more higher frequency noise and I like it a lot.

Realistically anything with short enough gearing is likely to be great to me with the right exhaust setup, that's the one thing I like about new 8+ speed transmissions. Going through a bunch of gears without hitting triple digit speeds is what street driving is mostly about for me.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

maxtdi wrote:So... I have been really slow to post updates because I simply haven't driven it yet. I was busy de-modding the Earth destroyer etc.

But here are my initial impressions. I try to be very honest and non biased in my car impressions so I'll post up the good and the bad.

First things first.
I wouldn't spend anywhere near what this car costs on it, because frankly I don't think the price tag is warranted. And yes I am VERY happy with my purchase because I basically get to long term RENT this car and give it back 0FG.

1. Ergonomics are excellent, all the buttons etc are where you want them to be, the seats/steering wheel are very comfortable etc.
2. The cars size is perfect. I think this is the perfect size for a 4 door sedan, not too big not too small.
6. The ride is excellent, it is almost too firm, but exactly what you'd expect for a sport sedan.
8. The interior quality is excellent no part of the car looks cheap inside, real aluminum trim, metal shifter paddles, great black headliner etc, good leather. Overall excellent interior that is worthy of some of this price tag.
9. The stereo is excellent, after I dicked around with the HK uprated stereo I got it where I wanted it, the AZN Mk1s Burmeister may be a bit better doe. But this is still very very good.

1. This is a near 60k M sport model... I'd expect some near M3 performance thanks to the near M3 price... however some things fall short.
2. The mechanical grip is NOT impressive. I don't care what the mags say etc. While this car does have a GREAT suspension and you can certainly feel the great balance of 50/50, BUT... taking on ramps etc at speed is a bit of a let down. The 225s up front are WAY too fucking small... I think whoever at BMW decided to do that should be fucking shot. Same size tire as a 320i. :disgust: That's Not ok and my main complaint about the car.
3. The engine is not impressive either. Yes this is not quite the :dedong: motor of the m3. But I expected more. It feels VERY linear, there is NO turbo lag at all, none that I can feel. No where near my TDI or gti etc. The larger displacement and twin scroll are tuned to be super linear. But this thing is NOT fast... I am pretty sure my Z was faster or at least felt faster. Maybe because of the lack of "refinement etc". Yes my expectations were HIGH but they should be considering the cost of the car.
4. This car sounds like NOTHING. There is some noise, but it is boring, hell the mk7 GTI with conductor sounds amazing compared to this. Just way too quiet.

So overall, I think this is a good car and it will be a fun 16 months for me, but I certainly would want more performance than this.

That's my quick take for now... I will update it more once I get some daily driving in etc.

:flaccid:

Sounds typical of the product/segment doe. Most people buying the car won't be driving it harder then the 225s can handle. The quality, refinement and look are all there so it's a win. Brakes and handling sound good. Who wants an obtrusive exhaust note to get in the the way of road warrior Bluetooth powered middle management decision making phone calls anyhow?

If it really sucks doe I'd get some proper summer tars for just the fronts. Call me cray-cray
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Tarspin wrote:
maxtdi wrote:So... I have been really slow to post updates because I simply haven't driven it yet. I was busy de-modding the Earth destroyer etc.

First things first.

Sounds typical of the product/segment doe. Most people buying the car won't be driving it harder then the 225s can handle. The quality, refinement and look are all there so it's a win. Brakes and handling sound good. Who wants an obtrusive exhaust note to get in the the way of road warrior Bluetooth powered middle management decision making phone calls anyhow?

If it really sucks doe I'd get some proper summer tars for just the fronts. Call me cray-cray
Is that why some jersey shore wannabe persian dude with an e90 328i couldn't go 70 mph onramp cornering while trying to overtake. That is indeed an ultimate driving machine :lol:

That said i am still jelly about the 335.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Tarspin wrote: :flaccid:

Is that why some jersey shore wannabe persian dude with an e90 328i couldn't go 70 mph onramp cornering while trying to overtake. That is indeed an ultimate driving machine Image

That's true, the ultimate driving machine goal has probably morphed in the last decade. People still expect that from the car brand but they like everyone else are getting neutered by the mpg shoppers, carb/.gov, and buyer tastes (which typically change for 4 door sedan buyers with 60k to blow.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

maxtdi wrote:
Melon wrote:Remind me, what engine is in this one?

N55. New tires would mean new wheels and this is a rental so it ain't gonna happen. That would be setting money on fire
Get some stickies that will be done at the end of your lease.
Sell the tires that are on the car to some forum bro?\

Dang, N55 not that fast.

Yeah, like you said before, sounds like you want some seriousl :balls: under the hood.
The AMG cars are suppose to be more torquey than the M offerings. I could see you with the Tri-Star.
max225

Melon wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
Get some stickies that will be done at the end of your lease.
Sell the tires that are on the car to some forum bro?\

Dang, N55 not that fast.

Yeah, like you said before, sounds like you want some seriousl :balls: under the hood.
The AMG cars are suppose to be more torquey than the M offerings. I could see you with the Tri-Star.
Well I didn't get the small motor for a reason. I have very little seat time behind the wheel for now. And this is one of those cars where you do have to play with the "settings" otherwise it feels slow.
max225

Tarspin wrote:

First things first.

How is this "typical" of the segment? And what "segment" are we talking about here?
Hell a golf r rides on 245s all around. I am not sure how or why this was done but it is stupid. Once again this isn't a 320i or 328i, this is a 335i M sport... it is literally one level below an M. This car is supposed to have some major performance advantages over your poser 320i, and it does in every way other than the stupid front tires.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote:

Is that why some jersey shore wannabe persian dude with an e90 328i couldn't go 70 mph onramp cornering while trying to overtake. That is indeed an ultimate driving machine :lol:

E90 328i is slower than a Mk7 gti, however it is much better balanced. But yea... I wouldn't expect it to keep up
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

maxtdi wrote:

How is this "typical" of the segment? And what "segment" are we talking about here?
Hell a golf r rides on 245s all around. I am not sure how or why this was done but it is stupid. Once again this isn't a 320i or 328i, this is a 335i M sport... it is literally one level below an M. This car is supposed to have some major performance advantages over your poser 320i, and it does in every way other than the stupid front tires.
They all need to look good on paper, if that means low rolling resistance or narrow tires gets then 1 mpg then it'll happen.

I thought the M sport is similar to audi speak S-line. Some stupid bells and whistles to extract an extra 5k out of the buyers wallet? :iono:
max225

Tarspin wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
They all need to look good on paper, if that means low rolling resistance or narrow tires gets then 1 mpg then it'll happen.

I thought the M sport is similar to audi speak S-line. Some stupid bells and whistles to extract an extra 5k out of the buyers wallet? :iono:
Yes and no. You do get the suspension/steering from an M3, M3 steering wheel, and a few pieces here and there. It is supposed to be the M3 minus the bodywork/enginemadeofglass
Last edited by max225 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tune it.