Kamry XSE impressions and further updates

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:25 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:12 am
I haven't driven one in years. Must have improved just in time to kill off the cars. Makes sense.
To your point though, I never really can get comfortable in :tits: 2012 Fusion due to head room/high seat height + sunroof. I have a really long torso though, 6'2" and only 32" inseam.
6'5 and 34" inseam here, so we're pretty similar in torso length. I've never been able to get comfortable in Ford cars.

Obviously I'm :wrong:

I also really don't care, so this is my last comment on this bullshit. If Max wants a Ford, that's his mistake to make.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:28 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:25 am

To your point though, I never really can get comfortable in :tits: 2012 Fusion due to head room/high seat height + sunroof. I have a really long torso though, 6'2" and only 32" inseam.
6'5 and 34" inseam here, so we're pretty similar in torso length. I've never been able to get comfortable in Ford cars.

I also really don't care, so this is my last comment on this bullshit. If Max wants a Ford, that's his mistake to make.
:lolol:

Don't be so mad man, I feel like this has actually been a good, productive discussion with a lot of people agreeing on stuff. :iono: obviously seat comfort is super body type dependent.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

I'm thinking we're going to see Max in a WRX or a Model 3, depending on how much he wants to spend.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:32 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:28 am

Don't be so mad man, I feel like this has actually been a good, productive discussion with a lot of people agreeing on stuff. :iono: obviously seat comfort is super body type dependent.
This latest discussion is one of the least shit-throwing exchanges on DFD, IMO. I feel like it has been rather productive, and I like that Max has taken his time to lay out his reviews for us all to read.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:34 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:32 am

This latest discussion is one of the least shit-throwing exchanges on DFD, IMO. I feel like it has been rather productive, and I like that Max has taken his time to lay out his reviews for us all to read.
:dat:

Even some normal fanboism has bee kinda squashed in here, like Rudy acknowledging that the Si handles better than the Golfs, despite him preferring them.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:40 am
Apex wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:34 am

Even some normal fanboism has bee kinda squashed in here, like Rudy acknowledging that the Si handles better than the Golfs, despite him preferring them.
Look, the golf/GTI/gorf ain’t the end all be all but if you want one car to do it all it’s my preference. Great at nothing good at everything. The other cars Max is cross shopping in that class are a lot
More fun but have some compromises, just like the golf/GTI/gorfs do in performance/lolol factor
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:58 am

Look, the golf/GTI/gorf ain’t the end all be all but if you want one car to do it all it’s my preference. Great at nothing good at everything. The other cars Max is cross shopping in that class are a lot
More fun but have some compromises, just like the golf/GTI/gorfs do in performance/lolol factor
I agree with this.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
razr390 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:58 am Look, the golf/GTI/gorf ain’t the end all be all but if you want one car to do it all it’s my preference. Great at nothing good at everything. The other cars Max is cross shopping in that class are a lot
I agree with this.
:wrong:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:24 am
Detroit wrote: I agree with this.
:wrong:
Obviously.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah man, I'm with you. Wouldn't be surprised if I own another one at some point. Today I think I'd consider the GLI as well, someone at work got one in battleshit gray :manuel: and it looks pretty sweet.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:15 am

I agree with this.
Apparently that’s enough to be a moran fanboi.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:57 am

Yeah man, I'm with you. Wouldn't be surprised if I own another one at some point. Today I think I'd consider the GLI as well, someone at work got one in battleshit gray :manuel: and it looks pretty sweet.
The best part about the GLI is that it truly gets everything the GTI does in terms of performance, whereas the MK6 one’s didn’t.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:03 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:15 am
I agree with this.
Apparently that’s enough to be a moran fanboi.
:bruh: English Motherfucker. I said you were being less of a fanboi than usual and acknowledged that the other choices excelled in some areas.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Ford seems to have the worst stigma of the bunch, we had a shooting at a fraud dealer today...

friend sent me a note saying “no focus ” with the news article.

:amazing: it’s the most fun to drive tho ...
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:25 pm Ford seems to have the worst stigma of the bunch, we had a shooting at a fraud dealer today...

Until the wrong head gasket installed fails...or you have to deal with dealer service and the risk of being shot. Ford is almost universally at the bottom of dealer satisfaction surveys.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:55 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:25 pm Ford seems to have the worst stigma of the bunch, we had a shooting at a fraud dealer today...

Until the wrong head gasket installed fails...or you have to deal with dealer service and the risk of being shot. Ford is almost universally at the bottom of dealer satisfaction surveys.
I thought it was FCA?
This type of thing is super regional too, you get better service at a Chevy dealer than I do at bmw
HG had a recall ... also the one I posted had the right one at the factory, because that’s hard to do.
max225

razr390 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:04 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:57 am

The best part about the GLI is that it truly gets everything the GTI does in terms of performance, whereas the MK6 one’s didn’t.
LSD and bigger brakes ? What did the mk6 GLI not get ? It was the exact same interior/engine you literally just selected a different bodytype. Those cars were the same.
Last edited by max225 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:55 pm
I thought it was FCA?
This type of thing is super regional too, you get better service at a Chevy dealer than I do at bmw
HG had a recall ... also the one I posted had the right one at the factory, because that’s hard to do.
Yea, true...it's all super regional.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:03 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:01 pm

I thought it was FCA?
My battle is less so with :dillerman: service, I'll be doing my own, and these cars are near new/new, so I am expecting 0 issues. As that's the world we live in today...

My battle is whether I want to compromise DD ability+Looks for fun. The Focus RS to me is sort of the winner, the WRX however is a better all around car, and with the possibility of getting one new, it adds some niceness over the "pre farted" ones.

So to compare and contrast WRX vs RS.

WRX:
Pros:
Better Ride
Better interior, Comfortable seats
More "adult" styling
Possibly "new"
0 issues until 100k miles if i decide to keep it that long

Cons:
Brakes are meh (fixable with STI swap perhaps)
Engine sounds like nothing (not fixable)
Possibly high depreciation if I go new

RS:
Pros
Most fun to drive car at 3XK period (excluding miata)
Great shifter/clutch
Exciting engine note/sounds
Great Brakes
Comfortable seats
I personally like the styling and exclusivity

Cons
Assembled by :derp: 's during octoberfest in Germany
Very FIRM ride
Smallish rear trunk
Dated interior
FOCUS stigma

It's a tough call... and I still have to drive the STI, however I am expecting it to deliver on the brakes+sounds, but to bring in downsides of a 15 year old motor/mpg/ridequality/wing/price I have 0 use for the selectable diffs, to me that's a 100% gimmick that I will never touch.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:03 pm
My battle is less so with :dillerman: service, I'll be doing my own, and these cars are near new/new, so I am expecting 0 issues. As that's the world we live in today...

My battle is whether I want to compromise DD ability+Looks for fun. The Focus RS to me is sort of the winner, the WRX however is a better all around car, and with the possibility of getting one new, it adds some niceness over the "pre farted" ones.

WRX:
Pros:
Better Ride
More "adult" styling
Possibly "new"

Cons:

RS:
Pros
Great shifter/clutch
Great Brakes
Comfortable seats

Cons
Very FIRM ride
Smallish rear trunk
Dated interior
FOCUS stigma

It's a tough call... and I still have to drive the STI, however I am expecting it to deliver on the brakes+sounds, but to bring in downsides of a 15 year old motor/mpg/ridequality/wing/price I have 0 use for the selectable diffs, to me that's a 100% gimmick that I will never touch.
Are WRX's showing increased depreciation? I haven't looked recently, but in the past they seem to be the most stable in the industry.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I'm not really a service at the dealer kind of guy, but I have a ton of experience with Ford dealers all over the US from the Bang Bus days and honestly, it was fine. I'd say only 20% or so were experiences that left a lot to be desired, which I think is pretty low as car dealer experiences go.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:22 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:16 pm

WRX:
Pros:
Better Ride
More "adult" styling
Possibly "new"

Cons:

RS:
Pros
Great shifter/clutch
Great Brakes
Comfortable seats

Cons
Very FIRM ride
Smallish rear trunk
Dated interior
FOCUS stigma

Are WRX's showing increased depreciation? I haven't looked recently, but in the past they seem to be the most stable in the industry.
It is my fault. I can get a new WRX for 28k, however that's the base model, that gen doesn't dip below 23-25k in the "used" market. However I wanted a limited (34k MSRP) or a Premium+Recaros (32,5k MSRP). Which go straight down to 23-25k in the used segment within 12 months.

Options don't pay off that's the main issue with the subies, other than that it is pretty low.

I don't see this as a forever car, however most definitely 12-18 months. So a new option less WRX will lose 4-5k and a limited will lose 8-12k. Which is the painful part... I doubt the RS would lose more than 5-6k in the same time frame. So the key for me would be to find a 0-1 year old limited or premium+Recaro model for 6-8k off sticker. Or get 3-4k off sticker new.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:22 pm
It is my fault. I can get a new WRX for 28k, however that's the base model, that gen doesn't dip below 23-25k in the "used" market. However I wanted a limited (34k MSRP) or a Premium+Recaros (32,5k MSRP). Which go straight down to 23-25k in the used segment within 12 months.

Options don't pay off that's the main issue with the subies, other than that it is pretty low.

I don't see this as a forever car, however most definitely 12-18 months. So a new option less WRX will lose 4-5k and a limited will lose 8-12k. Which is the painful part...
Options don't pay off on any vehicle period. It's incredible.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:30 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:27 pm

I don't see this as a forever car, however most definitely 12-18 months. So a new option less WRX will lose 4-5k and a limited will lose 8-12k. Which is the painful part...
Right which is why it pays (pun intended) to be in the base(ish) models, the base STI is "only" 4k apart from a WRX limited new. And they essentially have the same feature content. Which is why I am still considering it, however actual ASP remains TBD. I haven't seen any "markup" at the dealers which is encouraging as it used to ALWAYS be there on STIs. But in terms of how much they are willing to move... :notsure: I have another 2 full months to reach a conclusion... and have depreciation take out a bit more from the cars I am interested in... but the clock is ticking...

I'd be curious to see what Tesla will do now as well, their rebate is running out on 6/30 and they are scrambling to convert those sales... their "Q3" will be rough... a lot of headwind... maybe they'll start playing the pricing game at that point.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:39 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:30 pm
Right which is why it pays (pun intended) to be in the base(ish) models, the base STI is "only" 4k apart from a WRX limited new. And they essentially have the same feature content. Which is why I am still considering it, however actual ASP remains TBD. I haven't seen any "markup" at the dealers which is encouraging as it used to ALWAYS be there on STIs. But in terms of how much they are willing to move... :notsure: I have another 2 full months to reach a conclusion... and have depreciation take out a bit more from the cars I am interested in... but the clock is ticking...

I'd be curious to see what Tesla will do now as well, their rebate is running out on 6/30 and they are scrambling to convert those sales... their "Q3" will be rough... a lot of headwind... maybe they'll start playing the pricing game at that point.
I'm surprised Tesla didn't try harder on you to get the end of the quarter sales up. I figured they'd be full blast SELL mode.