Kamry XSE impressions and further updates

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:20 pm This makes me wanna test drive a Type R.
Ima go out and say it. It’s the most fun practical car for 36.5k. (Miata excluded)
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Apex wrote:Luckily, I don’t think you can make a :wrong: choice here.
:dat:

I do wanna try a hype R :doe:

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:44 pm
Apex wrote:Luckily, I don’t think you can make a :wrong: choice here.
:dat:

It’s a fantastic vehicle
max225

Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:33 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:20 pm This makes me wanna test drive a Type R.
Ima go out and say it. It’s the most fun practical car for 36.5k. (Miata excluded)
:megusta:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:48 pm https://www.yubacityhonda.com/new/Honda ... 457316.htm

Current favorite
Right on

Something you do need to keep in mind though. The entire rest of the car is econo, engineered to pair with a softer suspension and thicker sidewalls. I would expect some rattles and buzzes to pop up after probably not too many miles.

But that engine is a strong one, it’s faster stock than the R or STI or RS. Good hatch. Looks rad. I love these things. Strong possibility I’d have picked one of these over the STI if it was out when I was shopping.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:48 pm https://www.yubacityhonda.com/new/Honda ... 457316.htm

Current favorite
Beware doe. ADM is rarely listed on the site. You have to check it out in person.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:47 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:44 pm :dat:

It’s a fantastic vehicle
:doit:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:23 pm

Current favorite
Right on

Something you do need to keep in mind though. The entire rest of the car is econo, engineered to pair with a softer suspension and thicker sidewalls. I would expect some rattles and buzzes to pop up after probably not too many miles.

But that engine is a strong one, it’s faster stock than the R or STI or RS. Good hatch. Looks rad. I love these things. Strong possibility I’d have picked one of these over the STI if it was out when I was shopping.
I dunno it felt perfect @10k miles I don’t have many crazy expectations. My m3 rattles I don’t care.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:39 pm

Current favorite
Beware doe. ADM is rarely listed on the site. You have to check it out in person.
I’d call the :dillerman: first. I am not willing to pay adm
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:39 pm Beware doe. ADM is rarely listed on the site. You have to check it out in person.
I’d call the :dillerman: first. I am not willing to pay adm
You think they'd be honest over the phone? I'm not so sure.

max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:25 pm
max225 wrote: I’d call the :dillerman: first. I am not willing to pay adm
You think they'd be honest over the phone? I'm not so sure.

Why not ? We have a cash customer here.
0 gaymes. Give me price I come down and pay
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

What is ADM?
max225

SAWCE wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:34 pmWhat is ADM?
Mark up, or :dillerman: ‘s Kids school fund
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:12 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:23 pm

Right on

I dunno it felt perfect @10k miles I don’t have many crazy expectations. My m3 rattles I don’t care.
You gonna get 18s for it?
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:57 am
max225 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:12 pm

For the civic ? Probably. :notsure: yet if I’m going civic though ... I’m 55/45 split between it and golf R. I think i would prefer the golf but 2018s used are 2k+ more than a civic new.

The civic rides far better than my m3. I guess I really must have gotten used to it as all the cars I have test driven so far are much softer.

The golf is just so ... boring ? There is almost nothing that sets it apart from a gti. Unlike the other vehicles I’m considering ...
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:25 pm You think they'd be honest over the phone? I'm not so sure.

I don't think they'll care. Who do they want buying the car? The straight cash buyer or the one willing to pay their markup on an 84 month loan at 7%?

They'll sit around and wait for that person to cave on markup.

max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:10 am
max225 wrote:
I don't think they'll care. Who do they want buying the car? The straight cash buyer or the one willing to pay their markup on an 84 month loan at 7%?

They'll sit around and wait for that person to cave on markup.

I get it, but the car is now 2 years old. I don’t think the markup sitch is the same as it was. I saw a few used ones at 32-34k which signals to me that they can’t really charge much in terms of markup. I am not someone who is in desperate need of this car and willing to pay over sticker so it’ll be a loss or sale. The golf at 40.5 New is a better value if they decide to throw adm on the civic

The civic styling out back kind of really bothers me, as does the lack of awd which I frankly won’t use much. Ironically the other thing I am also really bothered with is the seat sitch. The back seats in the civic are the same as in a 19k base model... like why dick with the fronts and downgrade the back seats from the touring model
Last edited by max225 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:06 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:57 am

For the civic ? Probably. :notsure: yet if I’m going civic though ... I’m 55/45 split between it and golf R. I think i would prefer the golf but 2018s used are 2k+ more than a civic new.

The civic rides far better than my m3. I guess I really must have gotten used to it as all the cars I have test driven so far are much softer.

The golf is just so ... boring ? There is almost nothing that sets it apart from a gti. Unlike the other vehicles I’m considering ...
If you're living in SF proper it might not be a bad call to downsize the wheels. Most long term tests by car mags of the Honda Type R indicate a bent wheel or blown tire over the course of the year.

Were both Golf R's manual or was one DSG? If nothing sets it apart from a GTI then you could save some serious scratch and get a GTI, no? Not like that's a bad car. Yes they are a little more reserved than the competition, but sometimes that takes the edge off and makes them much better to live with daily. But yeah, my GTI was considerably less charming than my rally car.

Interested to see what you pick, mang. They're both killer. After you get a taste of fun like this it's hard to say nope and deal with a less involving machine.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:23 am
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:06 am

If you're living in SF proper it might not be a bad call to downsize the wheels. Most long term tests by car mags of the Honda Type R indicate a bent wheel or blown tire over the course of the year.

Were both Golf R's manual or was one DSG? If nothing sets it apart from a GTI then you could save some serious scratch and get a GTI, no? Not like that's a bad car. Yes they are a little more reserved than the competition, but sometimes that takes the edge off and makes them much better to live with daily. But yeah, my GTI was considerably less charming than my rally car.

Interested to see what you pick, mang. They're both killer. After you get a taste of fun like this it's hard to say nope and deal with a less involving machine.
i drove a manual R which i disliked and then a dsg car which I did like.

I just feel like the last gen had center exhaust and considerably different bumpers front and back, distinctive wheels, and golf r specific colors. Now it all good muddied there is almost nothing setting the r apart. I do want the awd and extra power. I also like the resale aspect of it as well as this won’t be a forever car for sure. The gti offers none of that

In terms of SF. It’s likely on hold for about a year since I got some job developments that may keep me here.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:41 am
SAWCE wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:34 pmWhat is ADM?
Mark up, or :dillerman: ‘s Kids school fund
:word: thanks
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:28 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:23 am

I just feel like the last gen had center exhaust and considerably different bumpers front and back, distinctive wheels, and golf r specific colors. Now it all good muddied there is almost nothing setting the r apart. I do want the awd and extra power. I also like the resale aspect of it as well as this won’t be a forever car for sure. The gti offers none of that

In terms of SF. It’s likely on hold for about a year since I got some job developments that may keep me here.
Good point. I'd want AWD as well, but Philly gets snow and I can't deal with FWD traction and wheel hop. Although sounds like the Type R banished that somehow. Resale is indeed a hell of a lot better on the R than it is on a GTI.

Man if the STI was offered with a DSG type gearbox I'd go get one.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:41 am
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:28 am

Good point. I'd want AWD as well, but Philly gets snow and I can't deal with FWD traction and wheel hop. Although sounds like the Type R banished that somehow. Resale is indeed a hell of a lot better on the R than it is on a GTI.

I think I still want to drive an RS. It does have the special characteristics that set it apart from the other “focus” models. It’s just so dated inside, especially after the 7.5 R which is audiesque. Dat superior interior
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:43 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:41 am

I think I still want to drive an RS. It does have the special characteristics that set it apart from the other “focus” models. It’s just so dated inside, especially after the 7.5 R which is audiesque. Dat superior interior
I dunno that I'd let "higher quality plastics" sway me too hard.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:58 am
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:43 am

I dunno that I'd let "higher quality plastics" sway me too hard.
Superior interior always gets them.

Drive the RS while both R's are fresh in your mind.