max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Apex wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:21 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:10 pm

I was thinking around 10...
:notbad:
Essentially fill a trailer to capacity, however many cars that is... and see what happens.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:24 pm

Essentially fill a trailer to capacity, however many cars that is... and see what happens.
Depends on the trailer...you talking a semi car hauler?

If I had space to store a bunch of vehicles, I'd do it. Alas, I do not.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Yeah, I was thinking smaller scale to start off. Much easier for Detroit to store 2-3 vs 10 cars. Unless he bought that 5 acre property...
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:31 pm
Yeah, I was thinking smaller scale to start off. Much easier for Detroit to store 2-3 vs 10 cars. Unless he bought that 5 acre property...
:dat:

I could probably handle one, maybe two at a time right now. And even then it might get tough. Factor in the hassle of reg and title and insurance and :notsure: I have the time.

If I get my cabin in the woods, I'd be fully down. Would be a fun activity to keep busy with and make a few bucks in addition to whatever simple job I do.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:27 pm

Dat cabin

What's require for a dealer license in MI? I used a Michigan dealer plate to get my truck and drive it back to NY. That way no fucking with registration or insurance. It's all under the license.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:35 pm

I could probably handle one, maybe two at a time right now. And even then it might get tough. Factor in the hassle of reg and title and insurance and :notsure: I have the time.

If I get my cabin in the woods, I'd be fully down. Would be a fun activity to keep busy with and make a few bucks in addition to whatever simple job I do.
Chris's Rustless Rumblers :notbad:
BHPH?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Also JP gets first choice since this is his :bread:
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:24 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:27 pm

Dat cabin

What's require for a dealer license in MI? I used a Michigan dealer plate to get my truck and drive it back to NY. That way no fucking with registration or insurance. It's all under the license.
No idea, I'd have to look into it.
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:39 pm Also JP gets first choice since this is his :bread:
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:39 pm Also JP gets first choice since this is his :bread:
That's fair.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:47 pm
Those are expensive anywhere. The point is to buy things that are somewhat under valued in CA, but much higher valued in the salt belt because of rust.

It would probably be mostly GMT400-800 Tahoes, Silverados, etc. That 4Runner is just underpriced in general, I'd be shocked if it's even still available.
max225

You don't need to title at first... there is a grace period. Just have to make sure the next person gets it within 30-60 days.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:47 pm
Those are 100k here. Because reasons.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:59 pm

You don't need to title at first... there is a grace period. Just have to make sure the next person gets it within 30-60 days.
Interesting.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:01 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:59 pm

Interesting.
The way I ran this sort of thing before was, to buy the car off the last person. Have them sign and not date the title, and then just sign over the title to the new person when they "buy" the car. On a smaller scale it worked quite well.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:01 pm
Interesting.
The way I ran this sort of thing before was, to buy the car off the last person. Have them sign and not date the title, and then just sign over the title to the new person when they "buy" the car. On a smaller scale it worked quite well.

Assuming you can turn the car fast enough.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:35 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:02 pm

Was able to do it within 14-45 days, and that included an engine/trans swap as well. We wouldn't source ones with fubared motors.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:38 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:35 pm

Was able to do it within 14-45 days, and that included an engine/trans swap as well. We wouldn't source ones with fubared motors.
Johnny_P

My :dong: says 4th gen 4R
My bean counting tree-hugging brain says 3rd gen Rav4 or a Forester

Rav and Forester are massively slower. 4R is way worse on fuel, in the city that 4R will struggle to break into double digits... Man, Lisa's jelly bean gets 35 city.

Hm. Maybe spend a bit more to get something newer to avoid repair shops? IMO that's worth spending money on. I fucking hate repair shops of any kind. All these CUVs/Trucks under $10k have 100k on them. 100k means CV joints, shocks, brake calipers, driveshafts, the little lights behind the dash, yada yada bullshit.

A near-new compact car is $14k. Like Civic, Elantra, Forte, whatever. Just get one of those and let it get turned into a shotgunned PBR pounder?
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:28 pm My :dong: says 4th gen 4R

Rav and Forester are massively slower. 4R is way worse on fuel, in the city that 4R will struggle to break into double digits... Man, Lisa's jelly bean gets 35 city.

Hm. Maybe spend a bit more to get something newer to avoid repair shops? IMO that's worth spending money on. I fucking hate repair shops of any kind. All these CUVs/Trucks under $10k have 100k on them. 100k means CV joints, shocks, brake calipers, driveshafts, the little lights behind the dash, yada yada bullshit.

A near-new compact car is $14k. Like Civic, Elantra, Forte, whatever. Just get one of those and let it get turned into a shotgunned PBR pounder?
Civic sport :gaydance: ? :lol:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:33 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:28 pm My :dong: says 4th gen 4R

Yeah honestly I always thought if I gave up on the STI or it turned out to be an unreliable turd that I'd just get a Civic with the CVT and be done with it. If the CVT behaves at all like the Elantra's it is fine. If it's more like the Nissans it deserves to be lit on fire.

Wonder if I can find a red one to check out. The 1.5T motor gives me pause with the oil dilution problem.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:40 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:33 pm

Yeah honestly I always thought if I gave up on the STI or it turned out to be an unreliable turd that I'd just get a Civic with the CVT and be done with it. If the CVT behaves at all like the Elantra's it is fine. If it's more like the Nissans it deserves to be lit on fire.

Wonder if I can find a red one to check out. The 1.5T motor gives me pause with the oil dilution problem.
It's an internet problem. You're rolling with a notoriously unreliable engine. The civic will be just fine. Honderp made more of that engine in one year than subaru made in in the entire existence of the EJ over 20 years.

No idea on the CVT, because frankly :whocares: it is adequate. I didn't like it in the EX i drove but it was loaded with 600lbs of humans and a shitty moonroof, the sports skips all the useless features.
Johnny_P

I think the question then turns into what do I want to do with the vehicle.

What I currently do with my car:
Commute, including long distance driving for meetings
Drive to Lisa's parents' house
Fun drives
Occasional puppy park play dates
Occasional running stuff across the city for Lisa's shop
Occasional bike hauling.

What I'd like to do more of:
Skip the useless time consuming fun drives
Turn whatever I get into a mountain bike shuttle to/from the trails WITH FRIENDS which involves driving through a fuckload of traffic
Be more willing to jump in and go explore, possibly with doggie
Minimal off road interest, I don't see the point around Philly

So mountain biking with friends and puppy hauling. And some general exploring to go with my commuting.
So that doesn't narrow it down at all, lol.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:45 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:40 pm

It's an internet problem. You're rolling with a notoriously unreliable engine. The civic will be just fine. Honderp made more of that engine in one year than subaru made in in the entire existence of the EJ over 20 years.

No idea on the CVT, because frankly :whocares: it is adequate. I didn't like it in the EX i drove but it was loaded with 600lbs of humans and a shitty moonroof, the sports skips all the useless features.
I wouldn't personally care about trim levels. None of them come with ACP so they all suck in my mind. Moonroofs just turn into noisemakers. There's some value to leather, with the dog's shedding issue. Or at least to a beige interior.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:47 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:45 pm

I wouldn't personally care about trim levels. None of them come with ACP so they all suck in my mind. Moonroofs just turn into noisemakers. There's some value to leather, with the dog's shedding issue. Or at least to a beige interior.
What's ACP?