Johnny_P's Street Parking Palooza

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:22 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:41 pm

Probably would've missed it entirely due to it being so narrow.
we'll there's the mirage that I had for 2 weeks
I have dignity, dammit.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:30 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:21 pm To be fair, my m3 got hit 3 times at the work parking lot and my 335i was Nigerianed and my tdi was smashed in sf and rear ended in sf also.

So shit does happen... i did adjust my behavior however and now park 1/4 mile from the nearest entrance which is too far to walk for those who can’t drive either.

I rarely take my car to the city because of this now.
Street park your car in mission district. That's basically what I do. I really try and be cautious where I park, normally taking angle parking spots when I can or end spots to limit possible damage. This was actually a really great street spot, parked in front and behind by residents that don't move their cars often, and it was a gigantic space. But the freak nature of this accident, any car parked on any street could be susceptible to this so there is no saving anything.

Off street parking is the way to go. And it's just not an option for me. I've looked into it numerous times in the past, best possible case would be an off street parking lot if a spot opened up at one. And based on your and my experience it only reduces your chance of an insurance phone call by 50% as you still have the moving damages from people that are too busy doing other things to be bothered with actual driving.
You just reminded me that that’s how I lost a mirror on the crown Vic. Thankfully the replacement was $19.95 literally someone just tore it off... the entire assembly in the mission. I would say that I may have parked in sf about 100 times and had around 4 incidents.
Which is not insignificant. I avoid it... I also thought about a more permanent sf relocation and I immediately thought that I’d have to sell my car... it becomes a pointless liability.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:33 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:30 pm

Street park your car in mission district. That's basically what I do. I really try and be cautious where I park, normally taking angle parking spots when I can or end spots to limit possible damage. This was actually a really great street spot, parked in front and behind by residents that don't move their cars often, and it was a gigantic space. But the freak nature of this accident, any car parked on any street could be susceptible to this so there is no saving anything.

Off street parking is the way to go. And it's just not an option for me. I've looked into it numerous times in the past, best possible case would be an off street parking lot if a spot opened up at one. And based on your and my experience it only reduces your chance of an insurance phone call by 50% as you still have the moving damages from people that are too busy doing other things to be bothered with actual driving.
You just reminded me that that’s how I lost a mirror on the crown Vic. Thankfully the replacement was $19.95 literally someone just tore it off... the entire assembly in the mission. I would say that I may have parked in sf about 100 times and had around 4 incidents.
Which is not insignificant. I avoid it... I also thought about a more permanent sf relocation and I immediately thought that I’d have to sell my car... it becomes a pointless liability.
Ah. Mirrors. Focus lost 2 of them because they didn't fold. Folding mirrors are a godsend.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:56 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:59 pm

But it saves you from an aggravation of having to deal with insurance, :rage: 'ing about it etc.
Unfortunately in your situation you have to reach some sort of mental compromise, because IMO you can't go on as such. You either stop giving a fk about the car and treat it like a used condom, or get a safer space to park at great inconvenience to you, whether its walking/scootering/ubering etc. Or get a car that you don't give a fk about but you literally can't give a fk about it, as it will get fked.

I mean you got hit 8 times at this point (by my high level count), YOU KNOW it will HAPPEN AGAIN. So I am :notsure: what else to expect. Things aren't going to get any better.

It's like me complaining about bums in SF. Yes I know they are there, and yes I know they will shit on the streets. I can't personally change that so I need to adapt my behavior accordingly, that's just "city" downsides.
You know, I never actually added it all up.

Focus:
-Entire left rear bashed in by a new driver that couldn't negotiate a bend.
-Backed into numerous times flaking the front bumper paint

GTI:
-Rear ended on the highway
-Hit a goose in mid flight, new bumper cover there
-Rogue quarter panel damage
-Cheese gratered front bumper from the F150
-Backed into by some larger truck or delivery van destroying the front left

STI:
-2 door dings within a month of buying it
-Egged
-Backed into, front bumper has a scuff line on it
-Bicycle damage to the left rear and tail light
-Now this epic motorcycle impact

:iono:
I would've definitely say those 2 could've happen if I live in a suburbia environment and the :rage: they got from a vape bro in a subie. With my car however, in DC, I got the good ol corner scrape rear bumper/corner scrape, also a much slighter scrape on the right, right behind the rear wheel, and this Guadalupe that backed/tapped into my front plate cover when I was in the car waiting for a friend, who was slightly tipsy as she apologized, but no damage to the bumper.

On the gym parking lot, some :amir: family parked next to me, the grandpa and his kid hit my door as if it's normal to them while I was in the car, I called them out but they ignored knowing I know they heard me. So I left them a note stating I have your plates, I have a dashcam and put my number, which of course got nothing. But weirdly I couldn't find dings.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:39 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:10 pm

Johnny needs one of these.

Those jap things are usually made of paper thin metal, the motorcycle would have opened up that car like a tincan.
:dat: I can actually dent the panels of the Mirage rental with my fingers. Also whenever it rains hard, it sounds almost like hail.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/ ... 32486.html

You can have a rust free yodar from here.. Come here and drive it back... or i can help you get it shipped.

Clean interior/metal bumpers... and it's not a useless :truk:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:01 pm Walking 45 minutes a day in addition to your commute sounds like a non-starter to me. Plus carrying all of your shit each way. :disgust:

0.5 gen Tacoma.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:17 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/ ... 32486.html

You can have a rust free yodar from here.. Come here and drive it back... or i can help you get it shipped.

What the hell? That's a $10k truck out here. I really should start a business buying vehicles like this out there and driving them back to sell for a profit.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:50 am
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:17 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/ ... 32486.html

What the hell? That's a $10k truck out here. I really should start a business buying vehicles like this out there and driving them back to sell for a profit.
Is now a good time for me to get :triggered: by the use of the word :truk: on an suv ?
Tahoe not a Truck
4 runner not a truck
A :truk: has a useless bed !

:triggered:

On a more serious note ... we could give it a shot ? I source here you sell there we split profit ?
Johnny_P

Saggy butt syndrome too. The third gens drive like dump trucks.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Get that :dillerman: license and have at it.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:55 am
Is now a good time for me to get :triggered: by the use of the word :truk: on an suv ?
Tahoe not a Truck
4 runner not a truck

On a more serious note ... we could give it a shot ? I source here you sell there we split profit ?
I'll allow it. It's a pickup style body on frame with a donkey cart rear axle and a longitudinal engine like God intended.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:49 pm

0.5 gen Tacoma.
Have you driven a 4th gen 4R? Is seeking one out a wasted effort? Would like something less boaty than the 5th gens but still comfy.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:12 am
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:55 am
Tahoe not a Truck
4 runner not a truck

I'll allow it. It's a pickup style body on frame with a donkey cart rear axle and a longitudinal engine like God intended.
So a JT is not a truck then because it’s based on a Jeep
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:13 am
fledonfoot wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:49 pm

0.5 gen Tacoma.
Have you driven a 4th gen 4R? Is seeking one out a wasted effort? Would like something less boaty than the 5th gens but still comfy.
Comfy ? No they will be shittier than a Camry on a marshmallow tires. But it’ll be more interesting.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:14 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:12 am

:wrong: it's more of a truck than any other because of the 1930s technology of donkey cart axles at both ends.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:15 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:13 am

Comfy ? No they will be shittier than a Camry on a marshmallow tires. But it’ll be more interesting.
I will blow my brains out from boredom in an old beat Camry. Would rather have an ES330. At least you have the badge and comfort that way.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:16 am
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:14 am

:wrong: it's more of a truck than any other because of the 1930s technology of donkey cart axles at both ends.
So a WJ is a truck also, the definition of a truck is solid axles ....? Then Silverado is not a truck since it has irs up front ... Same with the newer dodges.

By the same logic the ridge line isn’t a truck then...
Last edited by max225 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:17 am
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:15 am

I will blow my brains out from boredom in an old beat Camry. Would rather have an ES330. At least you have the badge and comfort that way.
And if you care about this, you're going to care what happens to the car.

Time to move or pony up for a garage. You can't live the basic bitch lyfe.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:26 am

:dat: you just can’t have both man something has to give you have reached the cross roads
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:25 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:16 am

So a WJ is a truck also, the definition of a truck is solid axles ....? Then Silverado is not a truck since it has irs up front ... Same with the newer dodges.

Ridgeline is a minivan we all know this
Johnny_P

I'd pony up for a garage if there was one in reasonable distance from the house.
Moving is NGH in Philly. If we move we move out of the area.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:27 am

:dat: you just can’t have both man something has to give you have reached the cross roads
The curse of being an enthusiast.
Lisa doesn't give a fuck about her car. I wish I could be like that.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:31 am
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:25 am

Ridgeline is a minivan we all know this
Is/was it ever marketed as anything else?

:hue:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:32 am

I'd pony up for a garage if there was one in reasonable distance from the house.
Moving is NGH in Philly. If we move we move out of the area.
Sounds like a fantastic idea. So, when's the moving party and will there be pizza and beer?