Johnny_P's Street Parking Palooza

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:34 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:23 am Current musings....

I think for me, CPO would be preferable. There are only a handful of cars/CUVs that make sense to buy new. I don't think a CX5 makes sense because they're $30k new and depreciate like AMG's for the first few years. $30k gets you a CPO BMW X3, with likely similar depreciation so why not just get in that?
Sure you're getting a $30k BMW but you're also getting $50k BMW repair costs.
CPO is the only way I'd consider anything used from Germany.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:43 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:38 am

According to Edmunds true cost to own they depreciate like every other cuv on the market. :iono:
FWIW, the CX5 new is $26-$32k for most cars.

We're re-selling them off-lease and CPO for $20-24k.

Compare to BMW X3, with an average MSRP of about $45-50k, going for $30k. :nope:

Much bigger depreciation for the premium brands. I was just using Mazderp as an example, since I see the transaction prices. I'd imagine any mass-market brand CUV is similar.
Yeah. I compared it to Rav4, Forester, and Outback. They all seem to be within $1k of each other.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:36 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:23 am Current musings....

I think for me, CPO would be preferable. There are only a handful of cars/CUVs that make sense to buy new. I don't think a CX5 makes sense because they're $30k new and depreciate like AMG's for the first few years. $30k gets you a CPO BMW X3, with likely similar depreciation so why not just get in that?
CX5s actually hold value. And are cheap to own.

Mazda3, different story, depreciate like rocks but also cheap to own.

BMW X3 is tough to find with actual premium features for $30k and will be expensive to own long term. Don't do it. I really don't recommend BMW in general to anyone unless you're in the mood to be :wasteful: forever.
Yeah I have no patience for broken German bullshit. Good point. I think cost to own would still come in similar though. Depreciation at least would, between new CX5 Grand Touring and a X3 xDrive 28i. If it's CPO then the cost of repairs is basically zero for both...

Kind of want something with a real engine this time around.
Johnny_P

So like for this...
https://www.hamiltonmazda.net/auto/used ... /26957422/

$22,800 seems reasonable for CPO. Figure you gotta make a buck to keep the lights on, so subtract $4k from what this price is and that was the trade offer. Comes out to about $220/mo assuming $32k new and 8% sales tax. That's not horrible I guess.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:51 am

BMW X3 is tough to find with actual premium features for $30k and will be expensive to own long term. Don't do it. I really don't recommend BMW in general to anyone unless you're in the mood to be :wasteful: forever.
Yeah I have no patience for broken German bullshit. Good point. I think cost to own would still come in similar though. Depreciation at least would, between new CX5 Grand Touring and a X3 xDrive 28i. If it's CPO then the cost of repairs is basically zero for both...

CUV's don't get real engines.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Given how many used older BMW's are out here in Germany, used daily, rain show or shine what is the reality of this. It starts buying a well maintained car to begin with.
Over time it equals out. Is it 20% more to own a used BMW or 10% or 50%. No stats. Buy what you like. Do your due diligence and have some cash aside for eventual repairs. There are bad stories for any make or model.

Fk my friends were waiting for me to have a melt down with my Lotus Esprits. Yet they were bullet proof fkn reliable. Not even a clutch. Normal maintenance overall with a relay replaced, a fuse and one oil leak on the 86 that was minor and I fixed cause I like my cars to be perfect. The mech was like can you live with it? Its nothing David. I said no I cant. My call my money.

Buy what the fk you like and drive. Life is short.
Last edited by Davestr on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:04 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:59 am So like for this...
https://www.hamiltonmazda.net/auto/used ... /26957422/

$22,800 seems reasonable for CPO. Figure you gotta make a buck to keep the lights on, so subtract $4k from what this price is and that was the trade offer. Comes out to about $220/mo assuming $32k new and 8% sales tax. That's not horrible I guess.
Off lease, our cost on that car is $22684 after shop and detail bills. We're not turning many dollhairs on the sale of CPO units. That one also has a bad :fax: - other damage reported. Probably a parking lot bump. :iono:
:notsure:

Why would you guys bother if you made nothing on a car?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:01 pm
I'm hoping the CX-5 gets the 2.5T that Mazda put in the new 6 and the CX-9. Would be an awesome little crossover.
Oh, that would be fantastic. But I'm sure there's reasons it won't happen.

Being on the OEM side, I see all the :flaccid: reasons.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:17 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:04 pm

Off lease, our cost on that car is $22684 after shop and detail bills. We're not turning many dollhairs on the sale of CPO units. That one also has a bad :fax: - other damage reported. Probably a parking lot bump. :iono:

It's another unit sold? :iono:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:01 pm

I know. There are a few though. Like the Cherokee has available V6, german luxos get 2.0Ts, Lexus NX has 2.0T, etc.
There's also Forester XT and Fraud Escape 2.0T but I have no desire to own one of those.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:19 pm

Should plug right in. :dock:
That would certainly make it more appealing in my mind at least. I have no experience with that motor though. Seems reviews of it have been lukewarm because all the power is down low.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

They should make the CX7 again and put the 2.5T into that.

That'd be perfect CUV.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:18 pm

We've had it for 74 days, it's been marked down to cost at this point.

We try to make about $1-2k on a CPO if we can, but if we can at least break even, that's fair, especially if the customer comes back for service.

We don't just make money on the sales side. It's a total operational picture.
Totally get the entire picture. Makes sense that you'd be targeting a few grand, didn't realize this one had been sitting around for a while.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:19 pm

Should plug right in. :dock:
Yea, but there's a lot of engineering and regulatory :bs: that goes along with an engine other than physical fit.

Makes me :rage: often.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Going with my dad tonight to pickup his CX5 from zilldor. We'll see how his holds up long term.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:31 pm They should make the CX7 again and put the 2.5T into that.

That'd be perfect CUV.
I think the 5 is a good size. Just questionable exterior looks this go-around, questionable infotainment support, and rather unexciting motor. I could probably get over all of that. I'm sure it has acceptable power levels.

Would be nice to have reserve power available though. For the times you just want to be a dick and drag race a Mustang from a stoplight or whatever.

How's the AC in the latest CX5? Does it blow ice cubes? That's always been a low point in the Mazdas I've experienced.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:34 pm Going with my dad tonight to pickup his CX5 from zilldor. We'll see how his holds up long term.
in4pics and thoughts/impressions
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Gberg2119 wrote:Going with my dad tonight to pickup his CX5 from zilldor. We'll see how his holds up long term.
It should be fine, it's just a jacked up 3 hatch. Our 2014 must have 90k or so miles on it now, averages 35.x mpg on 87 and is still on its original brakes/suspension/battery and cooling system. It's had regular oil changes and got a set of Michelin Premier ballz seasons last year. No issues.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:37 pm
Gberg2119 wrote:Going with my dad tonight to pickup his CX5 from zilldor. We'll see how his holds up long term.
It should be fine, it's just a jacked up 3 hatch. Our 2014 must have 90k or so miles on it now, averages 35.x mpg on 87 and is still on its original brakes/suspension/battery and cooling system. It's had regular oil changes and got a set of Michelin Premier ballz seasons last year. No issues.
:notbad: hasn't needed much then. You do a lot of highway miles though, not too surprised at the brakes comment. I tend to burn through pads in 30k or less.
troyguitar

The main complaint that I have is that the pleather seats don't breathe and are not soft enough for multiple hour trips. They feel great on short trips but suck on long trips. The stereo sucks too but no one cares about audio quality, the wife sure can't tell the difference.

Compared to most other modern cars they're also loud on the highway, but compared to my shit it's fine. The RX8 was quieter than it with decent tires, now it's louder with worn RE71Rs.
troyguitar

JP do the Audis lease well? 2.broT quattro A3 with a roof rack seems like a pretty good compromise for you. Rear seat headroom sucks for adults but is fine for :doge:
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:56 pm JP do the Audis lease well? 2.broT quattro A3 with a roof rack seems like a pretty good compromise for you. Rear seat headroom sucks for adults but is fine for :doge:
Waitin for the Max Bay Area Analysis on this....
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:56 pm JP do the Audis lease well? 2.broT quattro A3 with a roof rack seems like a pretty good compromise for you. Rear seat headroom sucks for adults but is fine for :doge:
I was actually just looking at Audi's website. Would be interested in an A4 I think, despite it's size. Maybe A5. They're kind of long though. A3 is a Golf with fake AWD, right? I dunno about that one. Then again the A4/5 is just an expensive VW. With hopefully better quality control.

A4/5 would be a sweet ride. Wonder how it handles Baghdad quality streets. I have no seat time in Audis. But it checks all the boxes aside from depreciation but :whocares: 7-DCT, powerful turbo motor, supposedly serene ride, doesn't totally fall on its face on a back road, quiet, good stereo, etc.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:08 pm
Davestr wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:04 pm

Waitin for the Max Bay Area Analysis on this....
It'd be another VW 2.0T disaster for :wasteful: complete with detachable sunroof.

:nope:

I do love the A3, doe.
The thought of that isn't exactly appealing. The A4/5 with real AWD and dedicated chassis is more appealing to me. It's been getting some pretty stellar reviews.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:42 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:36 pm

I think the 5 is a good size. Just questionable exterior looks this go-around, questionable infotainment support, and rather unexciting motor. I could probably get over all of that. I'm sure it has acceptable power levels.

Would be nice to have reserve power available though. For the times you just want to be a dick and drag race a Mustang from a stoplight or whatever.

How's the AC in the latest CX5? Does it blow ice cubes? That's always been a low point in the Mazdas I've experienced.
Blows cubes. I've never been disappointed.
For a cheap car it seems like this is a pretty decent pick then, as long as the motor isn't an annoyance. :notbad: