Johnny_P's Street Parking Palooza

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:52 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/ ... 61078.html

Or this...

Not NEW.
White interior
More reliable than the scuubie
Blue
Stereo to blow someones brains out
All Lexii are hard passes. The mouse is a horrific interface. The older ones are just old and shitty now.

I’d get a highlander before I got an RX.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:55 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:52 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/ ... 61078.html

Or this...

Not NEW.
White interior
Blue
All Lexii are hard passes. The mouse is a horrific interface. The older ones are just old and shitty now.

I’d get a highlander before I got an RX.

:dang: man you're hard to please. :like: But i get it.... it's a nice ride tho... redundant controls everywhere.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Or this...

Not NEW.
White interior
Blue
Do you even Levinson?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:11 pm

Or this...

Not NEW.
White interior
Blue
Do you even Levinson?
INFOTAINMENT IS WORSE THAN CANCER wouldn't be called DEAD in one.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:13 pm

Do you even Levinson?
Much in the same way you don't need to deal with a beat to shit 100k mile car that costs $20k for reasons, I don't need to deal with an infotainment that I find almost entirely unusable.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Or this...

Not NEW.
White interior
Blue
Do you even Levinson?
It's a known fact that a decent two speaker system sounds just as good. :wasteful: marketing ploy at best. :like:
max225

Tarspin wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:40 pm

Do you even Levinson?
It's a known fact that a decent two speaker system sounds just as good. :wasteful: marketing ploy at best. :like:
:iswydt:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:24 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:13 pm

Much in the same way you don't need to deal with a beat to shit 100k mile car that costs $20k for reasons, I don't need to deal with an infotainment that I find almost entirely unusable.
Checks all the boxes mang... but I dunno I guess not liking how to scroll through a radio station equates to 1000s of thousands of farts
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

FWIW I would avoid the Highlander too. Rode in my friend's mom's '19 a couple months ago and it rides like a cheap hollow box. It just doesn't feel substantial from the inside. Reminded me of a last gen compact car like an Elantra etc.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:15 am FWIW I would avoid the Highlander too. Rode in my friend's mom's '19 a couple months ago and it rides like a cheap hollow box. It just doesn't feel substantial from the inside. Reminded me of a last gen compact car like an Elantra etc.
:notsure:

I remember test driving one with my dad and it rode pretty damn nice. I thought sometime in 17-18 they switched over to the RX platform.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:05 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:15 am FWIW I would avoid the Highlander too. Rode in my friend's mom's '19 a couple months ago and it rides like a cheap hollow box. It just doesn't feel substantial from the inside. Reminded me of a last gen compact car like an Elantra etc.
:notsure:

I remember test driving one with my dad and it rode pretty damn nice. I thought sometime in 17-18 they switched over to the RX platform.
Maybe it's because I was in the back seat? :iono: I was rather :disappoint:
Johnny_P

I’m not buying a highlander doe. I’d have no need for anything larger than a gigantic Rav4.

If I was open to a Lexus I’d get a GS no question. But I’m not dealing with that shit mouse clicker thing because I do not need to put up with it. There are a lot of vehicles on the used market that I would rather own than something which would make me actually angry every time I used it.

A 1-2 year old Civic hatch is likely the best answer here. Awesome fuel economy, nice size in and out, reliable, great resale. The CVT gives me pause. But there are real advantages to an suv thing in south philly parking hell. Namely ability of other suvs to see your bumpers while parking, and ability to easily hop up a curb while parking.

So in suv land...
Outback
CRV
Rav
Cherokee

I think a forester is out? I’d rather have an Outback. And I liked the Santa Fe but they’re still pricey used because they’re new.

I guess that’s it? Part of me really wants a pickup. Like really really. I was looking at ridge lines last night. They are priced well used and I don’t hate them. But at 212” long they’re damn near a full size in length and longer than that ridiculous minivan I had. Which was manageable. I dunno.

Then on the opposite spectrum I wonder if a AWD charger or accord 2.0t would make me hate life less than other options. Because at least those are fast and look good. Still run on 87. Good automatics.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:53 am I’m not buying a highlander doe. I’d have no need for anything larger than a gigantic Rav4.

If I was open to a Lexus I’d get a GS no question. But I’m not dealing with that shit mouse clicker thing because I do not need to put up with it. There are a lot of vehicles on the used market that I would rather own than something which would make me actually angry every time I used it.

A 1-2 year old Civic hatch is likely the best answer here. Awesome fuel economy, nice size in and out, reliable, great resale. The CVT gives me pause. But there are real advantages to an suv thing in south philly parking hell. Namely ability of other suvs to see your bumpers while parking, and ability to easily hop up a curb while parking.

So in suv land...
Outback
CRV
Rav
Cherokee

I think a forester is out? I’d rather have an Outback. And I liked the Santa Fe but they’re still pricey used because they’re new.

I guess that’s it? Part of me really wants a pickup. Like really really. I was looking at ridge lines last night. They are priced well used and I don’t hate them. But at 212” long they’re damn near a full size in length and longer than that ridiculous minivan I had. Which was manageable. I dunno.

Then on the opposite spectrum I wonder if a AWD charger or accord 2.0t would make me hate life less than other options. Because at least those are fast and look good. Still run on 87. Good automatics.
Ridgeline would be :notbad: It's the pickup that everyone "needs", but nobody WANTS.

I spent some time in a V6 Cherokee recently. It was a cheap trim and I hated it, but the Trailhawk fixes everything I hated. The engine and 9-speed are actually tuned quite nicely now...the drive was much better than I expected, with good space inside.

The biggest issue is that a Compass seems to be pretty similar in size inside, yet ends up being reasonably cheaper. The 2.4 I4 is fine too, but i prefer the V6 in the Cherokee.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Well, compass and renegade yeah no thanks when the Cherokee is available with a better motor. Cherokee feels super low rent. That 9AT still sucks but it’s tuned a little better now than it used to be so there’s that. Sized about right. I dunno. If they have a light interior option it could be a nice pick. The Pacifica drivetrain was mostly acceptable overall and the interior and sound system made up for anything it lacked.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Too bad the XT4 is so new. I think you would have liked the one I had as a rental. The ride was great and the noise cancellation from the BOSE Centerpoint stereo was :mindblown: legit could not hear fresh poured salt hitting the car underneath or the wheel wells, and the lane keep/radar cruise worked very well. It would also rally car if you wanted.

Edit: forgot you went to the auto show recently and probably already checked it out
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:24 am Well, compass and renegade yeah no thanks when the Cherokee is available with a better motor. Cherokee feels super low rent. That 9AT still sucks but it’s tuned a little better now than it used to be so there’s that. Sized about right. I dunno. If they have a light interior option it could be a nice pick. The Pacifica drivetrain was mostly acceptable overall and the interior and sound system made up for anything it lacked.
Agreed. While not a "bad" choice, there are better options.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Man one of my good friends here has a newer Cherokee and that car just blows. Hideous, meh interior, big outside small inside, and there is this issue where the speakers are out of phase with each other that is just intolerable to me. I don’t really drive a ton of new stuff but the Elantras I’ve driven are just such better vehicles than that Cherokee it’s amazing.

If you WANT a pickup, get one? Seems like it would work fine in your sitch and less seppuku than CUVs. I think you’ll want something you actually want a year or less into a seppuku wagon.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:17 pm Man one of my good friends here has a newer Cherokee and that car just blows. Hideous, meh interior, big outside small inside, and there is this issue where the speakers are out of phase with each other that is just intolerable to me. I don’t really drive a ton of new stuff but the Elantras I’ve driven are just such better vehicles than that Cherokee it’s amazing.

If you WANT a pickup, get one? Seems like it would work fine in your sitch and less seppuku than CUVs. I think you’ll want something you actually want a year or less into a seppuku wagon.
There are gas mileage complaints about vehicles that get like 20-23mpg on PREMIUM. How does a :truk: on regular and 15mpg fit into this equation. Makes no sense.
ChrisoftheNorth

Yea...I really don't see a pickup working either. Ridgeline would be closest, but that's still probably not going to hit the spot right.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:10 pm Yea...I really don't see a pickup working either. Ridgeline would be closest, but that's still probably not going to hit the spot right.
They’re just huge. Everything in truck world is massive.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:21 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:17 pm Man one of my good friends here has a newer Cherokee and that car just blows. Hideous, meh interior, big outside small inside, and there is this issue where the speakers are out of phase with each other that is just intolerable to me. I don’t really drive a ton of new stuff but the Elantras I’ve driven are just such better vehicles than that Cherokee it’s amazing.

There are gas mileage complaints about vehicles that get like 20-23mpg on PREMIUM. How does a :truk: on regular and 15mpg fit into this equation. Makes no sense.
Just musings. A truck is something I would enjoy owning. But likely NGH due to size.

A civic gets 30-40 MPG on regular. Seems good to me.
Johnny_P

Yeah aside from the engine I don’t really care for them hence why I haven’t really looked into them. But size and features seem right.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:50 pm

Just musings. A truck is something I would enjoy owning. But likely NGH due to size.

Well I suppose I can't really get shit for being enamored with that car for years. It does everything well for not much money.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Truk life is a good life.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:58 pm

Truk life is a good life.
I learned to drive on an F150 and later had a Ranger 4.0... I miss driving trucks.