Johnny_P's Street Parking Palooza

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:54 am
Detroit wrote: Ahhhh.

I dunno man, bikes are surprisingly tall when standing up. A hitch mount would probably get the jerb done the best for multiple bikes. My dad's got this fancy one that we use whenever we go somewhere, way easier than jamming them in the vehicle.
Hitch rack is awesome as long as you don’t have a swing-open tailgate.

I’ve seen the light, and it is good.
If you have space to accommodate a 3' longer vehicle they're great. Easier to deal with than a pickup bed because it all stays together, just plop it on the tray and donezo. My friends have roof racks that grip the front tire like that, it's stupid easy. For me, the roof is easier than a hitch because my street is so damn narrow, I seriously don't think I'd be able to drive down my street with a bike on the back (maybe not actually a real problem though). Additionally, it would be nerve racking nightmare to try and parallel park with my bike hanging off the back like that and my vehicle 30 something inches longer than I'm used to. With a roof rack it doesn't matter, drive and park anywhere just stay out of garages which I don't have.

You could get a Wilco Hitchswing for it. Would allow you to swing the rack out and away to open the hatch on the Heep.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:08 am
[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:54 am

Hitch rack is awesome as long as you don’t have a swing-open tailgate.

I’ve seen the light, and it is good.
If you have space to accommodate a 3' longer vehicle they're great. Easier to deal with than a pickup bed because it all stays together, just plop it on the tray and donezo. My friends have roof racks that grip the front tire like that, it's stupid easy. For me, the roof is easier than a hitch because my street is so damn narrow, I seriously don't think I'd be able to drive down my street with a bike on the back (maybe not actually a real problem though). Additionally, it would be nerve racking nightmare to try and parallel park with my bike hanging off the back like that and my vehicle 30 something inches longer than I'm used to. With a roof rack it doesn't matter, drive and park anywhere just stay out of garages which I don't have.

You could get a Wilco Hitchswing for it. Would allow you to swing the rack out and away to open the hatch on the Heep.
I always had roof racks for my cars and liked them. Stupid easy to put the bike up, especially if you don't have to take off the front wheel.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:23 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:08 am

I always had roof racks for my cars and liked them. Stupid easy to put the bike up, especially if you don't have to take off the front wheel.
Yeah. Some are more ideal than others. The Yakima my one friend AJ has is way quieter than the Thule my other friend Bobby has. But the Thule is a lot easier to use. Tradeoffs I guess. But bikes on top, parallel street parking isn't affected at all just drive normally. They both have them installed on Subaru Imprezas which are rather low to the ground so they're easily accessed.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:21 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:14 am
My dad's hitch rack pivots downward enough to open the tailgate on both his Cadillac and Saab wagons. Doubt it would be enough to get the tailgate completely open on your Jeep, but it would open enough to get things out of the back at least.

Maybe hijacking JP's thread, maybe not since the question MIGHT pertain to him....

Zil, since you had a line of pickups and now onto an SUV, do you miss the utility of the truck bed or is it NBD?
My rack does tilt downwards but not enough for the tire to clear.

As to your question: I think the holy grail would be a pickup with a cap. :wap:

I like having both. I enjoyed the open cargo area for throwing whatever in and I also enjoy having an enclosed cargo area that’s secured.

An enclosed, lockable cargo area that’s separate from the passenger area would be most ideal.
I kinda want a folding tonneau cover for my :truk: but I want to be able to use my fork mounts with it folded up. Finding one like that is a little difficult.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:14 am Zil, since you had a line of pickups and now onto an SUV, do you miss the utility of the truck bed or is it NBD?
Since I have both I will give you my answer:

Yes, I need a truck.

There was no way I was getting my Weber Summit grill into the Jeep. Same with the Blackstone griddle, a cabinet we "had" to have, as well as tires + wheels with mounted tires from the Corvette when I took them in to get the new tires swapped on. They all fit in the ZR2.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:14 am Zil, since you had a line of pickups and now onto an SUV, do you miss the utility of the truck bed or is it NBD?

Yes, I need a truck.

There was no way I was getting my Weber Summit grill into the Jeep. Same with the Blackstone griddle, a cabinet we "had" to have, as well as tires + wheels with mounted tires from the Corvette when I took them in to get the new tires swapped on. They all fit in the ZR2.
So not only do you need a truck, you also need a Weber Summit Grill, A blackstone griddle, + C7Z06 + another set of wheels+tires.

Keep that in mind y'all! :lol:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:05 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:02 pm

Yes, I need a truck.

So not only do you need a truck, you also need a Weber Summit Grill, A blackstone griddle, + C7Z06 + another set of wheels+tires.

#thingsyouneed

The Jeep does okay, but if you buy anything for the house that isn't from bed bath and beyond, there's a chance you need a truck.

In the years that I didn't have a truck I had to rent the home depot special flatbed to move stuff we bought (like cabinets for the laundry room and garage) and it was a pain in the ass.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:07 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:05 pm

#thingsyouneed

The Jeep does okay, but if you buy anything for the house that isn't from bed bath and beyond, there's a chance you need a truck.

In the years that I didn't have a truck I had to rent the home depot special flatbed to move stuff we bought (like cabinets for the laundry room and garage) and it was a pain in the ass.
Oh forgot to add big house to the list :like:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
max225 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:05 pm So not only do you need a truck, you also need a Weber Summit Grill, A blackstone griddle, + C7Z06 + another set of wheels+tires.

Keep that in mind y'all! Image
#thingsyouneed

Skip the DiGiorno and :waxer: for delivery.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:09 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote:
#thingsyouneed

Skip the DiGiorno and :waxer: for delivery.
Uh, no thanks.

I spent a lot on the gladiator cabinets (not the build it yourself ones, the welded ones) and when they tried to deliver, 9 of 10 were damaged. Next delivery, 6 were damaged.

My $2500 tool box from Sears? 3 in a row damaged, finally picked a good one up at the store and brought it home myself.

The Summit grill came in a crate as well as my mill. easier to just pick them up at the store with a truck than deal with weeks of waiting for a good one.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:08 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:07 pm

#thingsyouneed

:wrong:

I actually have a small house.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:15 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:08 pm

3 digit square feet like my buddy got for over 700k in man jose that is now worth 1 milly a year later?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:16 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:15 pm

3 digit square feet like my buddy got for over 700k in man jose that is now worth 1 milly a year later?
1700 square feet with a fucked commute if you have to be to work at 8 or 9am.

Most people wouldn't justify the commute w/o a 4500 foot place on 1/2 acre or more.
Apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:19 pm

Most people wouldn't justify the commute w/o a 4500 foot place on 1/2 acre or more.
1700 square feet sounds really reasonable, with a 2 car garage?
max225

Speaking of, my co-worker was doing something similar to you.... he is :nope: ing now that wifey is preggers. Prices have adjusted down quite a bit... probably not for long tho.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:22 pm

1700 square feet sounds really reasonable, with a 2 car garage?
Yes, 2 car with a few extra feet, not a "tight 2 car".
max225 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:23 pm

Speaking of, my co-worker was doing something similar to you.... he is :nope: ing now that wifey is preggers. Prices have adjusted down quite a bit... probably not for long tho.
I was debating buying up, but in reality we only have maybe 7 years left before we bail from the state, so we're going to stick with what we have. Basically a house that will be simple to sell or rent no matter the economy since it isn't gigantic and on the high end of the house pricing in the area.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

So did :wasteful: quit yet? Or am in the wrong bread.

:nevermind:
max225

dubshow wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:13 pm So did :wasteful: quit yet? Or am in the wrong bread.

Pretty sure he :nope: 'ed out
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:19 pm
dubshow wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:13 pm So did :wasteful: quit yet? Or am in the wrong bread.

Did they seriously :nuke: the entire effing travel thread!?

what in the fuck dfd.
Johnny_P

I'm still in this hell hole. Going to take a month off and maybe not come back is the plan. Lots o' shit stirred up and flipped over and re-shit on in the last 2 weeks.

Had a phone call with a recruiter for a position in Lansdale PA. Commute would be an hour, but if it works out, I could relocate to Conshohocken which would reduce it to like 30 mins ish, lower taxes, cheaper homes, land, etc. Not sure if I'll go ahead with this job, need to discuss some more stuff with the GM, but felt good to talk and move towards interviews for the first time in 11 years...
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:41 pm

Did they seriously :nuke: the entire effing travel thread!?

what in the fuck dfd.
Its still there I think. I haven't posted in it for a bit and have no idea what's even being discussed in there since I unsubscribed from it.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:54 pm

I'm still in this hell hole. Going to take a month off and maybe not come back is the plan. Lots o' shit stirred up and flipped over and re-shit on in the last 2 weeks.

Had a phone call with a recruiter for a position in Lansdale PA. Commute would be an hour, but if it works out, I could relocate to Conshohocken which would reduce it to like 30 mins ish, lower taxes, cheaper homes, land, etc. Not sure if I'll go ahead with this job, need to discuss some more stuff with the GM, but felt good to talk and move towards interviews for the first time in 11 years...
Glad to hear you had a chance to chat with someone! Maybe that will start some more stuff flowing your way.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:56 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:54 pm

Glad to hear you had a chance to chat with someone! Maybe that will start some more stuff flowing your way.
I'm currently in contact with 4 recruiters :iono:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:57 pm

Go for it mang ! Best time as any.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:57 pm

:nice:

Thats how you will find a raise and negotiate for a work life balance.