Johnny_P's Street Parking Palooza

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:52 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:51 pm

Strong economy. The strongest. It's so strong it's never been stronger. :truckyeah:
:yeahok: :fakenews:
It sort of isn't look our 22 cars purchased last year... and the fact that 1/2 this forum got major pay bumps... but yes obviously there are outliers too, but overall... its going up
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:52 pm
:yeahok: :fakenews:
It sort of isn't look our 22 cars purchased last year... and the fact that 1/2 this forum got major pay bumps... but yes obviously there are outliers too, but overall... its going up
The 22 car purchases are stupid :plac: things unique to here.

We're getting new jobs and raises, but costs are increasing quickly too. I'm not sure we're gaining much as most of us are just catching up.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:53 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:00 pm

We're getting new jobs and raises, but costs are increasing quickly too. I'm not sure we're gaining much as most of us are just catching up.
Almost this entire group was rolling in poverty eggs a few years ago... look at us now.... And no it isn't amazing personal achievements that got us here. A rising tide lifts all ships. :thankstrump:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:51 pm

Almost this entire group was rolling in poverty eggs a few years ago... look at us now.... And no it isn't amazing personal achievements that got us here. A rising tide lifts all ships. :thankstrump:
Except one or two that are hit by the tsunami and sink.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:53 pm The 22 car purchases are stupid :plac: things unique to here.

:yeahok:

Pretty much zero raises since 2013 checking in.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:59 pm
max225 wrote:
:yeahok:

If 8/10 the average is still doing better.
ChrisoftheNorth

I disagree...all of our gains took work. If I never left GM, I'd still be making basically the same I made 3 years ago. There were no raises happening. In fact, the threat of lay-offs forced me to spend effort looking external. So yea, I landed a better job that pays more, but it took effort with fear of a :nuke: economy on the horizon.

Same with most on the forum advancing. It's badass that so many people are finding new jobs that pay more, but that requires significant effort. I don't think anyone is just sitting there in the same job/company getting massive raises because the economy is good.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:52 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:59 pm :yeahok:

Try sales. 100% in charge of your own raises. :dillerman:
I’d be a horrible salesman. File that under “worst jobs ever for JP”
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:14 am

I disagree...all of our gains took work. If I never left GM, I'd still be making basically the same I made 3 years ago. There were no raises happening. In fact, the threat of lay-offs forced me to spend effort looking external. So yea, I landed a better job that pays more, but it took effort with fear of a :nuke: economy on the horizon.

Same with most on the forum advancing. It's badass that so many people are finding new jobs that pay more, but that requires significant effort. I don't think anyone is just sitting there in the same job/company getting massive raises because the economy is good.
Absolutely in the same boat on the bolded. It was not without effort to get it either, but I'm hopeful for my future and additional advancement at the new gig.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:20 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:52 pm

Try sales. 100% in charge of your own raises. :dillerman:
I’d be a horrible salesman. File that under “worst jobs ever for JP”
Same.

Hey, want this?

No?

Have a nice day.

:nevermind:
max225

The point is yes all of us tried and are the chosen ones that pulled ourselves by our boot straps out of peasantry but the opportunity is there.

Try doing that in Venezuela over the last 5 years. The results will be different.

As much as we’re responsible for our own advancements the opportunities were presented to us by the raging economy, you want to deny it be my guest but facts is facts just like the 22 cars purchased.

This same group purchased what must have been at most 5 for the same time frame a few years back
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:10 am

The point is yes all of us tried and are the chosen ones that pulled ourselves by our boot straps out of peasantry but the opportunity is there.

Try doing that in Venezuela over the last 5 years. The results will be different.

As much as we’re responsible for our own advancements the opportunities were presented to us by the raging economy, you want to deny it be my guest but facts is facts just like the 22 cars purchased.

This same group purchased what must have been at most 5 for the same time frame a few years back
Your plac counts are counting ALL car moves, not just NEW car moves. The NEW car number is more telling IMO. Many members :plac: newer cars for cheaper used ones...which isn't the sign of a gangbusters economy...just :plac:

No doubt we have a strong economy right now, but your data is skewed a bit. This forum's :plac: count does not correlate to a strong economy. I personally used to :plac: WAY more when I had less. I'd just go from cheap car to cheap car, eeking out break-even or profit where possible.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:20 am
max225 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:10 am

Your plac counts are counting ALL car moves, not just NEW car moves. The NEW car number is more telling IMO. Many members :plac: newer cars for cheaper used ones...which isn't the sign of a gangbusters economy...just :plac:

No doubt we have a strong economy right now, but your data is skewed a bit. This forum's :plac: count does not correlate to a strong economy. I personally used to :plac: WAY more when I had less. I'd just go from cheap car to cheap car, eeking out break-even or profit where possible.
All super valid points but let’s make this a pole to settle it once and for all
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:52 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:20 am

:popcorn:
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:55 am
max225 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:52 am
:popcorn:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=826
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

have you bought a Raptor yet?
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:29 am
Same.

Hey, want this?

No?

Have a nice day.

:nevermind:
You do marketing though, no?
Yea, but Marketing is a very generic term...it's sales, advertising, products, branding, etc. Textbook Marketing 101 "the 4 P's" Product, Price, Promotion, Place.

I've done all bits of marketing, currently I'm in product planning focused on how to make vehicles awesome. That's working more with engineering than branding/advertising. It can be as boring as "do we need a tow hook on the rear of a Laredo" to "what powertrain combos should we offer". I love that aspect, personally. Whenever you see something stupid on a vehicle or packaging that makes no sense, there's likely a :derp: product planner behind it.

When I did brand and sales stuff, I was focused on making sure sales people had all the right product information to help them sell. Recognizing I sucked at sales, I made sure the people that didn't had all the tools they could possibly need to succeed. I'd constantly get calls from the field about products I didn't work on because they were so used to my support that other brand managers didn't offer.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:26 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:16 pm

You do marketing though, no?
Yea, but Marketing is a very generic term...it's sales, advertising, products, branding, etc. Textbook Marketing 101 "the 4 P's" Product, Price, Promotion, Place.

I've done all bits of marketing, currently I'm in product planning focused on how to make vehicles awesome. That's working more with engineering than branding/advertising. It can be as boring as "do we need a tow hook on the rear of a Laredo" to "what powertrain combos should we offer". I love that aspect, personally. Whenever you see something stupid on a vehicle or packaging that makes no sense, there's likely a :derp: product planner behind it.

When I did brand and sales stuff, I was focused on making sure sales people had all the right product information to help them sell. Recognizing I sucked at sales, I made sure the people that didn't had all the tools they could possibly need to succeed. I'd constantly get calls from the field about products I didn't work on because they were so used to my support that other brand managers didn't offer.
Hellcat all the things!
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:29 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Hellcat all the things!
These are the sorts of things I work on, indeed. Too bad the world is way more complex these days.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:32 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:29 pm

Hellcat all the things!
These are the sorts of things I work on, indeed. Too bad the world is way more complex these days.
:sad:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:32 pm
FCA is way more fun than GM in this regard tho. WAY more willing to look at fun things than GM was. That's how the Demon and Hellcat came to be.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:01 pm

FCA is way more fun than GM in this regard tho. WAY more willing to look at fun things than GM was. That's how the Demon and Hellcat came to be.
FCA is doing :fullretard: things and it is glorious!

No other OEM gives a sheit about warrantying 700+ hp with skinny wheels and drag kits.
max225

I am really glad they saw the light and went the opposite of nissan. And who is the fool now...
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:03 pm
FCA is doing :fullretard: things and it is glorious!

No other OEM gives a sheit about warrantying 700+ hp with skinny wheels and drag kits.
Story time...

In the early development of the (now dead) next gen Colorado, I was in the performance parts and accessories group and managed to sneak the 6.2 into the early program proposal. The few engineers that cared about cars were :fuckyeah: and started some prelim work.

As the program was moving from the initial proposal phase to the approval phase, a person well above me struck it out. I challenged the decision and the response was "won't work". I asked why...pointing out that this is a brand new vehicle that we can make anything work in, and the person went full :triggered: about greenhouse gas, fuel efficiency, powertrain complexity, cost, etc, etc...no data or studies had been done to back up the tirade, it was just taken as fact.

I soon changed jobs and went to the brand side where I was suddenly tasked with "finding more profit" to "save" the next gen truck. My #1 suggestion? 6.2L!

I got the entire brand :fuckyeah: about the idea of a 6.2 mid size truck. I got actual margin projections together, and it was :amazing:

Then when it was proposed...the same person that struck it down before went :triggered: about how they had already told me no and blah blah. I was officially told to never mention it again...and didn't until now.

:trollface:

This is a key difference between the companies. A suggestion like that at FCA is met with: " :notbad: let's study it" instead of an instant :hellno:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:11 pm
I am really glad they saw the light and went the opposite of nissan. And who is the fool now...
I'm not sure Nissan even has a product planning dept anymore. If they do, I have no idea what they do.

FCA has its fair share of BS, just like any big company, but it's a way more open environment than most OEMs, and it shows in the product.