Johnny_P's Street Parking Palooza

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

maxtdi wrote:
Melon wrote:
This will probably lessen with the break in of the pads.
That's my thinking too. Considering this car will see probably 0 race track time. Initial bite is key.

Racetrack is good for certain things, but not for a daily....
I might take it to NJMP eventually. Would be fun on a track for sure.

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Man, :megusta: .

Really wish I was in the market right now, but maybe next summer. Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Johnny_P wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
That's my thinking too. Considering this car will see probably 0 race track time. Initial bite is key.

Racetrack is good for certain things, but not for a daily....
I might take it to NJMP eventually. Would be fun on a track for sure.

You totally should man, it's a great way to learn the car at it's limits.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
Interesting most of that is mirrored by my test drive in the WRX, (minus the brakes, lower seat cushion)
The way to explain this car is it's a little less frantic than the WRX, more dramatic power build up, more buttoned down, more immediate turning, stronger brakes overall, makes way way better noises. Everything that feels unfinished in the WRX feels finished and well thought out in the STI.

If you're going to mod your cars by all means get the WRX. Tune it, go nuts. If you don't want to mod the STI is pretty much perfect right from the factory.
The WRX I drove was almost perfect, since it had the performance exhaust and sti short throw.

I loved that manual and some of the noise the car made. But it also made the interior BOOM at 1500 similar to what you described.

Damn econocar roots showing up.

Hows the rack different between the cars? Different lock to lock turns? Electric vs Tractor ?
Johnny_P

maxtdi wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: The way to explain this car is it's a little less frantic than the WRX, more dramatic power build up, more buttoned down, more immediate turning, stronger brakes overall, makes way way better noises. Everything that feels unfinished in the WRX feels finished and well thought out in the STI.

If you're going to mod your cars by all means get the WRX. Tune it, go nuts. If you don't want to mod the STI is pretty much perfect right from the factory.
The WRX I drove was almost perfect, since it had the performance exhaust and sti short throw.

I loved that manual and some of the noise the car made. But it also made the interior BOOM at 1500 similar to what you described.

Hows the rack different between the cars? Different lock to lock turns? Electric vs Tractor ?
WRX = electric
STI = hydraulic

The STI has more steering feeling than the WRX and a faster rack. 13.3:1 vs 14.4:1. Its noticeably quicker to turn in. Also, this car dive bombs into a corner like the Mini Cooper S does. I didn't think the WRX steering was bad at all though.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

maxtdi wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: The way to explain this car is it's a little less frantic than the WRX, more dramatic power build up, more buttoned down, more immediate turning, stronger brakes overall, makes way way better noises. Everything that feels unfinished in the WRX feels finished and well thought out in the STI.

In previous generations the STI rack was about 10% quicker ratio than the WRX, dunno about current.
Johnny_P

To be clear, I would have gone with the WRX as it drove great. I just didn't like the engine's response and power delivery, and didn't want to deal with modding a brand new car to fix those issues.

The boost profile of the WRX means it starts building pressure around 1800 or so, and it's a quick build. For me, that means a boost whip after every stop sign. The give it gas, wait a half second, and there it goes. The 2.0L engine doesn't have much grunt without the turbo helping it along and that makes true city driving where you're spending a lot of time under 2k RPMs, painful. Add in a very hyperactive throttle and it felt like a handful on the test drive. Could I get used to it? I guess. But I left that car thinking I'd need to tune right away to ease out the throttle and smoothen the delivery.

The STI's motor was the reason I went with it. The 2.5L doesn't boost until 3500 or so, and below that its just NA power. The turbo is off entirely. Because of this I'm much much smoother in this car than I ever was in the GTI.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Plus it's an Sti
It's cool to have the top tier model.
Johnny_P

Melon wrote:Plus it's an Sti
It's cool to have the top tier model.
I'd have been fine with a WRX premium. Like I mentioned, I really just didn't like the 2.0T engine as it was from the factory. Basically every review out there mirrors my thoughts on the engine. If somehow they were all full of shit and I drove it and thought the engine was fine, I'd have gone with the WRX Premium and saved some cash. But that engine wasn't for me, especially after the STI test drive where 10 years of development means the EJ25 is a creamy smooth powerful engine. The 2.0T felt unfinished.

Add in 1st gen direct injection, reports of major carbon buildup as low as 12k miles, 1st gen engine from a company known for engine problems, etc... Just couldn't make the case for it.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Johnny_P wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote:Are there any mod plans besides ramz and tars for winter? Was your GTI modded?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
GTI had no mods. Not really planning much besides ramz and winter tires. It will probably get a bike roof rack in the spring. It doesn't really need anything. It's pretty wild as is. Maasaaybe more power because everyone wants that but it's not necessary at all.

Been reading about heat soak prevention in these and some guys have had excellent results with insulating the intake piping snorkel so I might do that.
I wouldnt worry about fine details like 'heat soak' unless you are tracking. The thing is pretty stout mang.....
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote:The fact that it's everything anyone could want right out of the box is important.

I fucking loved that about the GP. I didn't need to do ANYTHING to it.
Yeah that. WRX with a tune would be great. I didn't want to risk warranty denial on an engine I'm not entirely sure is reliable yet.
Johnny_P

Here's the WRX 2.0T vs the STI 2.5T

Looks similar. Under 3500 on the STI that's NA power basically. The 2.0T is leaning heavily on the turbo at that point. Drive it in Philly, 90F day with 80% humidity, 0-30-0 repeats, and the WRX will drive like it has no turbo. And it will suck. The STI 2.5 will behave like an Impreza or Forester.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

[user not found] wrote:The fact that it's everything anyone could want right out of the box is important.

This is what I want. A car that requires 0 mods aside from ramz/tars for winter.

Johnny_P

Davestr wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: GTI had no mods. Not really planning much besides ramz and winter tires. It will probably get a bike roof rack in the spring. It doesn't really need anything. It's pretty wild as is. Maasaaybe more power because everyone wants that but it's not necessary at all.

Been reading about heat soak prevention in these and some guys have had excellent results with insulating the intake piping snorkel so I might do that.
I wouldnt worry about fine details like 'heat soak' unless you are tracking. The thing is pretty stout mang.....
Yeah, we'll see how it fares in the summer. The heat shielding looks really easy to do though.
Davestr

Detroit wrote:
maxtdi wrote:Curious to hear future updates... including full on 4k+ rpm runs etc.

Everything so far wasn't surprising minus the brake complaint? That's odd it has massive brakes, and it is relatively right.
Size doesn't necessarily dictate initial bite. I fully expect what he's describing, those things probably need some heat in them to be effective.
They are true Brembo's and need heat. The stock pads are very very effective. A touch of heat is all it needs and they do the job. Brakes are really really nice. Enjoy em!
troyguitar

Gberg2119 wrote:

This is what I want. A car that requires 0 mods aside from ramz/tars for winter.

I can't imagine that. Everything's tuned for understeer and to fit 300 lb muricans.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah true, it's a nice feeling to get it right from the start.
Davestr

Johnny_P wrote:
[user not found] wrote:Also, having ridden in JP's STI gave me the serious wants. It's the perfect Zil-spec one car to do it all.
I didn't realize how one-car-for-it-all it it really is.

It's not all roses and lollipops. There are compromises. You're dealing with a $35k Subaru here, not a used depreciated luxo brand. So...
-A bit rough riding
-A bit boomy exhaust
-Pretty noisy on the highway
-The cold brake bite issue
-Short lower cushion
-Seems to be a temperamental engine between the oil change intervals, strict break-in, need to check oil levels every 2nd fill up, etc

I knew all this except the seat cushion going into it. I could tell it was a bit short on the test drive but that shit doesn't affect you until you've spent a few hours in the seats. The GTI seats are better.

However, get this thing moving and its crazy. And any of those drawbacks simply do not matter. Even driving at city speeds its insanity and a lot of fun.
Nice summary mirrors alot of my feelings. Performance cars I miss = STi, my GTV-6 with the 3-liter Milano engine, both Esprit Turbo's and my Abarth. The rest were nice but lacked the personality evident in the STi. The STi is the analog refuge avail still in this over digitized shite world we live in. The idea of owning another 2015 or later STi is strong. The STi grows on you and wants you back, and, most importantly YOU WANT TO be in the STi. Its 'engaging'!!! Very much so!

Johnny soak it up.....its a good ride. Unique, exciting and just fun. What driving is and should be. Getting somewhere should be an experience. The cars I miss that I listed above, did that for you. Take pics and get out and live amigo. You bought a great car.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

GTV-6 makes my :flaccid: :dong:

Johnny_P

Melon wrote:GTV-6 makes my :flaccid: :dong:

Dammit I want one of these. One day I shall own one.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

NSFW This GTV has been sitting there for a while, in terrible repair.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.4509106 ... 312!8i6656

This street-view was pre-flood as well, it's probably gone now.
:sad:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Melon wrote:GTV-6 makes my :flaccid: :dong:

:dat:
They make awesome sounds when wound out.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:Yeah, the fact that the STI is one of the last analog cars... :megusta:

I really love it for that. It's a big middle finger to electric steering.

Does the STI have a LSD?
It has three LSD's breh.

...also just read that the newest gen have even quicker steering ratio at 13:1. That's :fuckyeah: and better than nearly anything else on the road.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote:
[user not found] wrote:Yeah, the fact that the STI is one of the last analog cars... :megusta:

I really love it for that. It's a big middle finger to electric steering.

Does the STI have a LSD?
It has three LSD's breh.

...also just read that the newest gen have even quicker steering ratio at 13:1. That's :fuckyeah: and better than nearly anything else on the road.
One in the center diff?
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote:
Melon wrote:
One in the center diff?
Dat DCCD doe.
100% rear :poorvette: mode.