Johnny_P's Street Parking Palooza

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

maxtdi wrote:Hows the base stereo? Is it as bad as they say?

How many miles on that thing ? Is the break in 500, or 1500 miles?

I'd follow that thing religiously if you plan on keeping the car. I am NOT a believer of the whole "broken in from the factory" bullshit.

I am jelly of the handling, the WRX was pretty damn epic too, too bad the WRX was slow...
Uh well base stereo makes music sounds. IDK. I'm a poor judge of audio quality and haven't raised the volume past about 1/4, which is as loud as I ever listen to it. I prefer to listen to the car honestly. I was same way with the GTI. I will say I think the 7" Starshit head unit works well. No touch lag. The radio grouping is pretty neat. It has bluetooth but it's kind of dumb. I had the phone connected and on google maps for directions. The stereo wouldn't allow bluetooth directions to interrupt what you were listening to, so I just wasn't getting directions. GTI had the same problem. So I turned bluetooth off, whatever, and just used the phone's speaker to give me directions.

There might be a way to change that, not sure.

Break in is 1k. I'm trying to follow it as best I can. I think I went over 4k once but light throttle. 1k miles isn't a lot to ask for in teh grand scheme of things. Will only take a few weeks to get there.

The handling is nuts. Truly insanity. If you test drove it, you would probably think the WRX was faster because of the boost ramp. The STI power is all up top. It's pretty docile around town. More docile than the 2.0T of the WRX. But from what I've heard, after 4k the WRX is done and has nothing more to give. The STI is just getting into the meat there. I took the :stig: :mahtroy: approach, I don't mind a downshift on the highway or back road.

OH! Shifter/clutch. The clutch has real feedback and a short throw. It's easy to get going and shift it smoothly. The shifter is reluctant to move when cold, sometimes doesn't like to go into reverse. But once you're going it's sweeeeeeet. Strong center return spring, really short throws. It's the stock shifter, not the STI shorter one. I test drove an STI short shifter and whatever, this is basically the same anyway. It jiggles around when you're driving and you can feel the engine vibrations through it since its a direct linkage.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Johnny_P wrote:
maxtdi wrote:Hows the base stereo? Is it as bad as they say?

How many miles on that thing ? Is the break in 500, or 1500 miles?

I'd follow that thing religiously if you plan on keeping the car. I am NOT a believer of the whole "broken in from the factory" bullshit.

I am jelly of the handling, the WRX was pretty damn epic too, too bad the WRX was slow...
Uh well base stereo makes music sounds. IDK. I'm a poor judge of audio quality and haven't raised the volume past about 1/4, which is as loud as I ever listen to it. I prefer to listen to the car honestly. I was same way with the GTI. I will say I think the 7" Starshit head unit works well. No touch lag. The radio grouping is pretty neat. It has bluetooth but it's kind of dumb. I had the phone connected and on google maps for directions. The stereo wouldn't allow bluetooth directions to interrupt what you were listening to, so I just wasn't getting directions. GTI had the same problem. So I turned bluetooth off, whatever, and just used the phone's speaker to give me directions.

Break in is 1k. I'm trying to follow it as best I can. I think I went over 4k once but light throttle. 1k miles isn't a lot to ask for in teh grand scheme of things. Will only take a few weeks to get there.

The handling is nuts. Truly insanity. If you test drove it, you would probably think the WRX was faster because of the boost ramp. The STI power is all up top. It's pretty docile around town. More docile than the 2.0T of the WRX. But from what I've heard, after 4k the WRX is done and has nothing more to give. The STI is just getting into the meat there. I took the :stig: :mahtroy: approach, I don't mind a downshift on the highway or back road.

OH! Shifter/clutch. The clutch has real feedback and a short throw. It's easy to get going and shift it smoothly. The shifter is reluctant to move when cold, sometimes doesn't like to go into reverse. But once you're going it's sweeeeeeet. Strong center return spring, really short throws. It's the stock shifter, not the STI shorter one. I test drove an STI short shifter and whatever, this is basically the same anyway. It jiggles around when you're driving and you can feel the engine vibrations through it since its a direct linkage.
Yeah don't keep a hand on the shifter while driving in gear haha. It may just be forumtalk but guys would say you run the risk of quicker wear on some linkage bits.
:therapist:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Calvinball wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Uh well base stereo makes music sounds. IDK. I'm a poor judge of audio quality and haven't raised the volume past about 1/4, which is as loud as I ever listen to it. I prefer to listen to the car honestly. I was same way with the GTI. I will say I think the 7" Starshit head unit works well. No touch lag. The radio grouping is pretty neat. It has bluetooth but it's kind of dumb. I had the phone connected and on google maps for directions. The stereo wouldn't allow bluetooth directions to interrupt what you were listening to, so I just wasn't getting directions. GTI had the same problem. So I turned bluetooth off, whatever, and just used the phone's speaker to give me directions.

Yeah don't keep a hand on the shifter while driving in gear haha. It may just be forumtalk but guys would say you run the risk of quicker wear on some linkage bits.
I was always told this too, by several mechanics. It can wear out the synchro's.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Why would you rest your hand on the shifter anyway?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote:Why would you rest your hand on the shifter anyway?
In the days before center arm rests were a thing, there were few options to where to rest your hand. My Scirocco didn't have a center armrest so I just kept my hand in my lap so it always looked like I was :fap: in the car. :lol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Calvinball

Because racecar? :iono:

Sent from the beer depository
Calvinball

wap wrote:
In the days before center arm rests were a thing, there were few options to where to rest your hand. My Scirocco didn't have a center armrest so I just kept my hand in my lap so it always looked like I was :fap: in the car. Image
Oh or this. The 3rd Gen at least didn't have an armrest, though there was an optional one you could order.

Sent from the beer depository
ChrisoftheNorth

I've been in plenty of cars without center armrests. I never rested my hand on the shifter. Usually my lap or just on the tunnel.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Calvinball wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Uh well base stereo makes music sounds. IDK. I'm a poor judge of audio quality and haven't raised the volume past about 1/4, which is as loud as I ever listen to it. I prefer to listen to the car honestly. I was same way with the GTI. I will say I think the 7" Starshit head unit works well. No touch lag. The radio grouping is pretty neat. It has bluetooth but it's kind of dumb. I had the phone connected and on google maps for directions. The stereo wouldn't allow bluetooth directions to interrupt what you were listening to, so I just wasn't getting directions. GTI had the same problem. So I turned bluetooth off, whatever, and just used the phone's speaker to give me directions.

I don't. You can feel it if you touch it though.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote:I've been in plenty of cars without center armrests. I never rested my hand on the shifter. Usually my lap or just on the tunnel.
my arm goes on my lap if I'm doing one handed driving. 2 hands on the wheel most of the time doe.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote:
Calvinball wrote:
I don't. You can feel it if you touch it though.
Dat mechnical feel.

I remember when I first drove a FWD :manuel: I was all :wtf: about how it didn't vibrate at all.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote:
Detroit wrote:I've been in plenty of cars without center armrests. I never rested my hand on the shifter. Usually my lap or just on the tunnel.
my arm goes on my lap if I'm doing one handed driving. 2 hands on the wheel most of the time doe.
Mr. Safety.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: my arm goes on my lap if I'm doing one handed driving. 2 hands on the wheel most of the time doe.
Mr. Safety.
Between potholes and taxi cab drivers you need to be able to respond quickly.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Curious to hear future updates... including full on 4k+ rpm runs etc.

Everything so far wasn't surprising minus the brake complaint? That's odd it has massive brakes, and it is relatively light.
Last edited by max225 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:Curious to hear future updates... including full on 4k+ rpm runs etc.

Everything so far wasn't surprising minus the brake complaint? That's odd it has massive brakes, and it is relatively right.
Size doesn't necessarily dictate initial bite. I fully expect what he's describing, those things probably need some heat in them to be effective.
max225

Detroit wrote:
maxtdi wrote:Curious to hear future updates... including full on 4k+ rpm runs etc.

Everything so far wasn't surprising minus the brake complaint? That's odd it has massive brakes, and it is relatively right.
Size doesn't necessarily dictate initial bite. I fully expect what he's describing, those things probably need some heat in them to be effective.
But it isn't like racekar. Should have street pads.
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:
Detroit wrote: Size doesn't necessarily dictate initial bite. I fully expect what he's describing, those things probably need some heat in them to be effective.
Doesn't matter. Some street pads need heat...especially a performance oriented car like this.
Johnny_P

maxtdi wrote:
Detroit wrote: Size doesn't necessarily dictate initial bite. I fully expect what he's describing, those things probably need some heat in them to be effective.
They're not ineffective.
There was one or two times on the way back that lack of bite caught me by surprise. Put some boot in it and it stops right now doe. So it's not a big deal. After 1-2 stops you're alright.
max225

Johnny_P wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
They're not ineffective.
There was one or two times on the way back that lack of bite caught me by surprise. Put some boot in it and it stops right now doe. So it's not a big deal. After 1-2 stops you're alright.
Weird... I mean initial bite is key on a street car. You ain't got time to repeat that panic stop 2-3 times before you rear end a semi.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote:Also, having ridden in JP's STI gave me the serious wants. It's the perfect Zil-spec one car to do it all.
I didn't realize how one-car-for-it-all it it really is.

It's not all roses and lollipops. There are compromises. You're dealing with a $35k Subaru here, not a used depreciated luxo brand. So...
-A bit rough riding
-A bit boomy exhaust
-Pretty noisy on the highway
-The cold brake bite issue
-Short lower cushion
-Seems to be a temperamental engine between the oil change intervals, strict break-in, need to check oil levels every 2nd fill up, etc

I knew all this except the seat cushion going into it. I could tell it was a bit short on the test drive but that shit doesn't affect you until you've spent a few hours in the seats. The GTI seats are better.

However, get this thing moving and its crazy. And any of those drawbacks simply do not matter. Even driving at city speeds its insanity and a lot of fun.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

maxtdi wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: They're not ineffective.
Weird... I mean initial bite is key on a street car. You ain't got time to repeat that panic stop 2-3 times before you rear end a semi.
It will slow the car down fine. It just slows it down better after you get some heat in the pads.
max225

Johnny_P wrote:
[user not found] wrote:Also, having ridden in JP's STI gave me the serious wants. It's the perfect Zil-spec one car to do it all.
I didn't realize how one-car-for-it-all it it really is.

It's not all roses and lollipops. There are compromises. You're dealing with a $35k Subaru here, not a used depreciated luxo brand. So...
-A bit rough riding
-A bit boomy exhaust
-Short lower cushion
-Seems to be a temperamental engine between the oil change intervals, strict break-in, need to check oil levels every 2nd fill up, etc

I knew all this except the seat cushion going into it. I could tell it was a bit short on the test drive but that shit doesn't affect you until you've spent a few hours in the seats. The GTI seats are better.

However, get this thing moving and its crazy. And any of those drawbacks simply do not matter. Even driving at city speeds its insanity and a lot of fun.
Interesting most of that is mirrored by my test drive in the WRX, (minus the brakes, lower seat cushion)
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Johnny_P wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
It will slow the car down fine. It just slows it down better after you get some heat in the pads.
This will probably lessen with the break in of the pads.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
max225

Melon wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: It will slow the car down fine. It just slows it down better after you get some heat in the pads.
This will probably lessen with the break in of the pads.
That's my thinking too. Considering this car will see probably 0 race track time. Initial bite is key.

Racetrack is good for certain things, but not for a daily....
Johnny_P

maxtdi wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: I didn't realize how one-car-for-it-all it it really is.

-A bit rough riding
-A bit boomy exhaust
-Short lower cushion

Interesting most of that is mirrored by my test drive in the WRX, (minus the brakes, lower seat cushion)
The way to explain this car is it's a little less frantic than the WRX, more dramatic power build up, more buttoned down, more immediate turning, stronger brakes overall, makes way way better noises. Everything that feels unfinished in the WRX feels finished and well thought out in the STI.

If you're going to mod your cars by all means get the WRX. Tune it, go nuts. If you don't want to mod the STI is pretty much perfect right from the factory.