Johnny_P's Street Parking Palooza

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:47 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:35 pm
Yea...not sure a $50k convertible pickup truck is "treating myself", that might just be :fullretard: instead.
Came in for :doge: :wub: Subaru content, but found this.

Get the :truk: :bruh: it's neat. You're not having Crotchfruit, so you have to spend all of your money before you die. Why not pump it into the economy, your own employer, the people of broke ass Toledo, etc.
Lisa is always accepting tax exempt donations to her coffee shop! 😁
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:46 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:47 pm

Came in for :doge: :wub: Subaru content, but found this.

Get the :truk: :bruh: it's neat. You're not having Crotchfruit, so you have to spend all of your money before you die. Why not pump it into the economy, your own employer, the people of broke ass Toledo, etc.
4x4 convertible pickup trucks are more fun bro.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Convertible :truk: :jeep: > coffee.

Sorry Johnny.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:07 am Convertible :truk: :jeep: > coffee.

Sorry Johnny.
Can't go mud camping with donations to a coffee shop :disappoint:

They're actually doing really well right now. Beating monthly targets by thousands at this point. She's hoping she can either offer health care or just raises to her staff this year. Health care is absurdly expensive.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:05 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:46 pm

You should seriously go get one man. I think they are VERY cool, and come in orange and that bright ass blue. It won't break you financially, and if you need to justify it to yourself you can always let go of the vette for one.

:doit:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:06 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:05 am
You should seriously go get one man. I think they are VERY cool, and come in orange and that bright ass blue. It won't break you financially, and if you need to justify it to yourself you can always let go of the vette for one.

:doit:
Yea...We'll see where things are when they start hitting lots.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

I love this thing so much 😍
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:22 pm I love this thing so much 😍
:lolwut:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:24 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:22 pm I love this thing so much 😍
Just had a nice drive home, despite a trash truck trying to kill me. The STI is like a puppy that always wants to play.

I was getting some bucking action around hard turns, and turns out my tires were about 1-2 psi short all around. Filled them back up and its back to smooth sailing. This car is so picky about tire pressures, I guess that's what happens when all your diffs are LSD's.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:54 pm

Just had a nice drive home, despite a trash truck trying to kill me. The STI is like a puppy that always wants to play.

I was getting some bucking action around hard turns, and turns out my tires were about 1-2 psi short all around. Filled them back up and its back to smooth sailing. This car is so picky about tire pressures, I guess that's what happens when all your diffs are LSD's.
:megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Whoa you can tell? Yesterday I found out my left rear is at 26psi vs the “required” 32 I couldn’t tell a damn thing. 🙃 keeping it low for my last service today to see if they actually do anything and fill it up
Last edited by max225 on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:26 am

Whoa you can tell? Yesterday I found out my left rear isn’t at 26psi vs the “required” 32 I couldn’t tell a damn thing. 🙃 keeping it low for my last service today to see if they actually do anything and fill it up
I think it's an AWD thing. You can feel the system binding and skipping on really tight turns if the tire pressures are off. Likely far less pronounced if you have open diffs all around, but all 3 diffs on the STI are limited slips.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:54 pm Just had a nice drive home, despite a trash truck trying to kill me. The STI is like a puppy that always wants to play.

:bruh:

Quit making me miss mine.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:28 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:54 pm Just had a nice drive home, despite a trash truck trying to kill me. The STI is like a puppy that always wants to play.

Sometimes I really do wish I had a more dopey vehicle. A GTI is a fantastic choice for a do it all car, if only mine were reliable. From what I hear the MK7 is more reliable overall and remedies a lot of complaints I had with my MK6. Diff to quell the wheel hop and traction problems, better suspension to resist slamming the bump stops, more reliable motor, still offers a great automatic if you want it. Sunroof is :notsure: I guess but the rest sounds good.

I mean the STI is a handful, it's hard to just relax in it. But that also makes every drive fun and interesting. IDK.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:46 am Sometimes I really do wish I had a more dopey vehicle. A GTI is a fantastic choice for a do it all car, if only mine were reliable. From what I hear the MK7 is more reliable overall and remedies a lot of complaints I had with my MK6. Diff to quell the wheel hop and traction problems, better suspension to resist slamming the bump stops, more reliable motor, still offers a great automatic if you want it. Sunroof is :notsure: I guess but the rest sounds good.

I mean the STI is a handful, it's hard to just relax in it. But that also makes every drive fun and interesting. IDK.
They're supposed to be more reliable, everything you read from forumbruhs down to anecdotal evidence from service advisers tells you the MK7s are way more reliable. Mine has been trouble-free, but I've only had it since August and put about 5,500 miles on it. Whoever told you the magic diff gets rid of wheel hop is full of shit, though. Wheel hop occurs when tires rapidly lose and regain traction multiple times. The wheels don't actually hop, they move quickly fore and aft within in the wheel arch, doing all sorts of terrible things to the control arm bushings and engine/trans mounts, and the diff doesn't impact that at all. If you want to get rid of wheel hop in a MK7 all it takes is some poly control arm bushings, though.

Your last sentence is what the GTI just doesn't do. It's incredibly capable, especially once it's up to speed. If I was on a twisty road somehwere and someone gave me the choice of driving my GTI or my old STi, I might actually take the GTI. It's really that good. But around town at lower speeds FWD becomes a problem. And just cruising, the 2.0 tsi has no character at all. There's no putting the windows down and smiling just because of the silly burbles coming out of the back.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:17 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:46 am Sometimes I really do wish I had a more dopey vehicle. A GTI is a fantastic choice for a do it all car, if only mine were reliable. From what I hear the MK7 is more reliable overall and remedies a lot of complaints I had with my MK6. Diff to quell the wheel hop and traction problems, better suspension to resist slamming the bump stops, more reliable motor, still offers a great automatic if you want it. Sunroof is :notsure: I guess but the rest sounds good.

They're supposed to be more reliable, everything you read from forumbruhs down to anecdotal evidence from service advisers tells you the MK7s are way more reliable. Mine has been trouble-free, but I've only had it since August and put about 5,500 miles on it. Whoever told you the magic diff gets rid of wheel hop is full of shit, though. Wheel hop occurs when tires rapidly lose and regain traction multiple times. The wheels don't actually hop, they move quickly fore and aft within in the wheel arch, doing all sorts of terrible things to the control arm bushings and engine/trans mounts, and the diff doesn't impact that at all. If you want to get rid of wheel hop in a MK7 all it takes is some poly control arm bushings, though.

Your last sentence is what the GTI just doesn't do. It's incredibly capable, especially once it's up to speed. If I was on a twisty road somehwere and someone gave me the choice of driving my GTI or my old STi, I might actually take the GTI. It's really that good. But around town at lower speeds FWD becomes a problem. And just cruising, the 2.0 tsi has no character at all. There's no putting the windows down and smiling just because of the silly burbles coming out of the back.
I guess the soundaktor doesn't help much then? I always liked the way my GTI sounded. It had the tube resonator though, because 2010. But the STI sounds more fun and mechanical.

I mean I loved my MK6 for a while. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't like it. A few complaints with it but overall it was enjoyable to drive once up to speed, when everything was working correctly.

Yeah FWD traction under power is a let down in a more powerful vehicle. I remember the wheel hop and off the line traction problems with the engine slamming the firewall. Fun. I also had power-on understeer like WHOA but mine was open diff and brakes desperately trying to help. I really really like AWD, I think I'll try and stick with it in a fun vehicle.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:32 am I guess the soundaktor doesn't help much then? I always liked the way my GTI sounded. It had the tube resonator though, because 2010. But the STI sounds more fun and mechanical.

I mean I loved my MK6 for a while. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't like it. A few complaints with it but overall it was enjoyable to drive once up to speed, when everything was working correctly.

Yeah FWD traction under power is a let down in a more powerful vehicle. I remember the wheel hop and off the line traction problems with the engine slamming the firewall. Fun. I also had power-on understeer like WHOA but mine was open diff and brakes desperately trying to help. I really really like AWD, I think I'll try and stick with it in a fun vehicle.
Soundaktor makes a noise, it's just not a particularly pleasing noise. The EJ has a unique character that few inline 4s will be able to compete with. MK7s do actually sound pretty rowdy with a downpipe, but I don't know if I really want to go down the modding road. Much of me thinks I should just do some shifter upgrades and otherwise leave it the hell alone.

It is tempting to go :fullretard:, though, with as much power as these things can make with some basic bolt-ons.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:46 am
coogles wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:28 am

Sometimes I really do wish I had a more dopey vehicle. A GTI is a fantastic choice for a do it all car, if only mine were reliable. From what I hear the MK7 is more reliable overall and remedies a lot of complaints I had with my MK6. Diff to quell the wheel hop and traction problems, better suspension to resist slamming the bump stops, more reliable motor, still offers a great automatic if you want it. Sunroof is :notsure: I guess but the rest sounds good.

If i come to pdrbq, i’ll let you drive my dsgay
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:40 pm

Stage2 with launch control? :megusta:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:43 pm

2x the clutch roasting :fuckyeah:
Johnny_P

:notbad:
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:23 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:32 am I guess the soundaktor doesn't help much then? I always liked the way my GTI sounded. It had the tube resonator though, because 2010. But the STI sounds more fun and mechanical.

Soundaktor makes a noise, it's just not a particularly pleasing noise. The EJ has a unique character that few inline 4s will be able to compete with. MK7s do actually sound pretty rowdy with a downpipe, but I don't know if I really want to go down the modding road. Much of me thinks I should just do some shifter upgrades and otherwise leave it the hell alone.

It is tempting to go :fullretard:, though, with as much power as these things can make with some basic bolt-ons.
If it can put the power down
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:43 pm

Stock tune with stage 1 DSG tune
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

Brapped a bit on the way home today. And on the way back got stuck in some mind blowing traffic. Didn't even care. Windows down until I felt the tingle of ball sweat, then windows up and AC on. And the car drove totally normally, which is something my GTI could never do in heat + traffic + AC blowing ice chunks.

The new shoes I bought are helping a lot, the soles are stiffer so it's easier to control the hair trigger throttle.

I'm really going to miss this thing when it's time to let go of it. I can't bring myself to part with it. I don't think many new cars on the market at this price range are this involved anymore.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:23 pm Much of me thinks I should just do some shifter upgrades and otherwise leave it the hell alone.

I'm tempted to go stage 1, but rack up 30k/yr.

Agree fully on the shifter:
I did the Euro S3 short shift arm, a full set of shifter cable and bracket bushings, an 034 dogbone insert and the ECS bleeder block delete. Takes away all of the clutch pedal vagueness and gives it actual feel. I ended up pulling the dogbone insert out, and i've been really happy with it.

With a set of summer tires (Indy 500s') this thing has been a riot.