Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Calvinball wrote:
Melon wrote:

Oh I like this.

Sent from the beer depository
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Shitters full.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Bringing some more pics in here. [user not found]'s potato is better than mine.

Stopped by the Mini dealership on the way home :dock:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:fap:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I need some peanut butter with that jelly
gravey
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Whichever bmw isn't broken

Johnny_P wrote:Bringing some more pics in here. [user not found]'s potato is better than mine.

Stopped by the Mini dealership on the way home :dock:
:jizz: :jizz: hell yea man, I can never convince myself I like awd, but definitely cool car. Love me some boxer rumble. :wub:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Are there any mod plans besides ramz and tars for winter? Was your GTI modded?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote:Are there any mod plans besides ramz and tars for winter? Was your GTI modded?

GTI had no mods. Not really planning much besides ramz and winter tires. It will probably get a bike roof rack in the spring. It doesn't really need anything. It's pretty wild as is. Maasaaybe more power because everyone wants that but it's not necessary at all.

Been reading about heat soak prevention in these and some guys have had excellent results with insulating the intake piping snorkel so I might do that.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Johnny_P wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote:Are there any mod plans besides ramz and tars for winter? Was your GTI modded?

GTI had no mods. Not really planning much besides ramz and winter tires. It will probably get a bike roof rack in the spring. It doesn't really need anything. It's pretty wild as is. Maasaaybe more power because everyone wants that but it's not necessary at all.

Been reading about heat soak prevention in these and some guys have had excellent results with insulating the intake piping snorkel so I might do that.
I forget what stage 1 does for the sti. I know some peeps though if you ever go that route.

Sent from the beer depository
:therapist:
max225

Getting an STI and not modding it? :wtf:

I keeeeeed
Johnny_P

maxtdi wrote:Getting an STI and not modding it? :wtf:

I keeeeeed
I don't even own a flatbrim hat :wtf: I will need to correct this.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Johnny_P wrote:
maxtdi wrote:Getting an STI and not modding it? :wtf:

I keeeeeed
I don't even own a flatbrim hat :wtf: I will need to correct this.
You need some tapout shirts asap.

Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: I don't even own a flatbrim hat :wtf: I will need to correct this.

Not a mustang doe
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Gberg2119 wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: I don't even own a flatbrim hat :wtf: I will need to correct this.

It's a skinny kid with flatbrim and vaping. Not some fatass trying to look young. Lol.

That said, i have seen few guys with baby seat in back of wrx/sti's. I mean take :plac: for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Good thing you took pics. It'll never look like this again. Citylyfe

Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

MexicanYarisTK wrote:Good thing you took pics. It'll never look like this again. Citylyfe

:dat:

It MIGHT get washed again. We'll see.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Johnny_P wrote:Image
BINGO

4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

nice
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

So some initial impressions.

I can't take it over 4k yet, it isn't broken in. With that said, you can tell it has a lot of power. Low RPM driving is fine. The boost threshold is about 3k or so. At 3k you hear a ton of sucking noises, whirring of the turbo, and when you shift you hear a pssssh of the blow off valve. It's pretty neat. It's old school turbo tech here where the turbo is basically worthless until that higher RPM. BUT, and this is a big but... Below 3k it drives like a normal Impreza. Good throttle response, decent enough torque to get moving, and no strange throttle ramping. Its all motor at that point. Above 3k it's turbo time. So the car does the split personality thing better than the GTI did. I can't detect much if any throttle delay.

Brakes are strong but lack some initial bite when cold. Its not horrible, but something to note if you're doing a lot of highway and are coming to a toll plaza or offramp. After a few stops they have enough heat to be totally normal.

Exhaust sounds good but is a bit boomy at idle and at like 1500 RPM.

Turn in is hilarious. Hydraulic rack, reminds me of an older car. The feedback is great, tons of road feel. It's not too heavy at low speeds either. It corners completely flat. Which is good and bad. It kind of makes going fast on a tighter road a non-event. No body swaying, no traction loss, just grip and go. The dampers are very good. A bit rough at low speeds but smooth out real great on the highway. It's a pretty good highway ride, as good as the GTI was at least.

Ergonomics in the cabin are generally good. Visibility is incredible, I can see everything. Pillars are slim, the side mirrors are large, and the small quarter windows are great. The wing doesn't get in your way looking behind, but its fun that every time you glance back you see it. Inside, the seat heater buttons are awkwardly behind the front seat, so that's a tad annoying but not really an issue. The cupholders are deep and can hold a lot. Seat cushions are a bit on the shorter side. I kind of wish the bottoms were longer since I'm 6'2". Not Toyota horrible, but not GTI deep. The seat itself is comfortable otherwise, just the shorter cushion doesn't offer a ton of leg support during longer drives.

The info screens are interesting. There is an info screen in the gauges that is like 1" tall that displays what throttle map you're using or can cycle to a digital speedometer. The center dash gauge screen shows a lot of stuff like MPG, traction readout, boost gauge, or a poverty clock. Still haven't played around with all that yet. All the gauges and screens use different fonts, so if that bothers you then IDK what to tell you to do. It doesn't look bad, just not as perfect as the Germans make it.

Starlink is also interesting. The touch screen responds quickly. And the radio is interesting. Press the list button and it finds all radio stations in signal range, and groups them by genre. Not sure if you can set presets or not. But it makes finding a song or song type pretty simple. I find the audio quality acceptable but I put zero weight in a car's speaker performance so take that for what it's worth. It's way better than the MK6 GTI touch screen was. That thing was horribly laggy, this one is at least fast and the blacks are really dark, so at night it isn't as distracting as you might think it would be.

Back up camera is freaking great. It doesn't do dynamic lines though.

All the switchgear feels well made and responds pleasingly. Auto climate control is... eh... but you can control it manually if you like so there's a way out.

Headlights are pretty decent. Not as good as the GTI's were. But better than halogens. The fog lights are completely useless. So lighting is one area the GTI has a leg up.
Calvinball

You have a BPV, not a BOV.
Calvinball

Fuck, I paged your review.
Calvinball

Johnny_P wrote:So some initial impressions.

I can't take it over 4k yet, it isn't broken in. With that said, you can tell it has a lot of power. Low RPM driving is fine. The boost threshold is about 3k or so. At 3k you hear a ton of sucking noises, whirring of the turbo, and when you shift you hear a pssssh of the blow off valve. It's pretty neat. It's old school turbo tech here where the turbo is basically worthless until that higher RPM. BUT, and this is a big but... Below 3k it drives like a normal Impreza. Good throttle response, decent enough torque to get moving, and no strange throttle ramping. Its all motor at that point. Above 3k it's turbo time. So the car does the split personality thing better than the GTI did. I can't detect much if any throttle delay.

Brakes are strong but lack some initial bite when cold. Its not horrible, but something to note if you're doing a lot of highway and are coming to a toll plaza or offramp. After a few stops they have enough heat to be totally normal.

Exhaust sounds good but is a bit boomy at idle and at like 1500 RPM.

Turn in is hilarious. Hydraulic rack, reminds me of an older car. The feedback is great, tons of road feel. It's not too heavy at low speeds either. It corners completely flat. Which is good and bad. It kind of makes going fast on a tighter road a non-event. No body swaying, no traction loss, just grip and go. The dampers are very good. A bit rough at low speeds but smooth out real great on the highway. It's a pretty good highway ride, as good as the GTI was at least.

Ergonomics in the cabin are generally good. Visibility is incredible, I can see everything. Pillars are slim, the side mirrors are large, and the small quarter windows are great. The wing doesn't get in your way looking behind, but its fun that every time you glance back you see it. Inside, the seat heater buttons are awkwardly behind the front seat, so that's a tad annoying but not really an issue. The cupholders are deep and can hold a lot. Seat cushions are a bit on the shorter side. I kind of wish the bottoms were longer since I'm 6'2". Not Toyota horrible, but not GTI deep. The seat itself is comfortable otherwise, just the shorter cushion doesn't offer a ton of leg support during longer drives.

The info screens are interesting. There is an info screen in the gauges that is like 1" tall that displays what throttle map you're using or can cycle to a digital speedometer. The center dash gauge screen shows a lot of stuff like MPG, traction readout, boost gauge, or a poverty clock. Still haven't played around with all that yet. All the gauges and screens use different fonts, so if that bothers you then IDK what to tell you to do. It doesn't look bad, just not as perfect as the Germans make it.

Starlink is also interesting. The touch screen responds quickly. And the radio is interesting. Press the list button and it finds all radio stations in signal range, and groups them by genre. Not sure if you can set presets or not. But it makes finding a song or song type pretty simple. I find the audio quality acceptable but I put zero weight in a car's speaker performance so take that for what it's worth. It's way better than the MK6 GTI touch screen was. That thing was horribly laggy, this one is at least fast and the blacks are really dark, so at night it isn't as distracting as you might think it would be.

Back up camera is freaking great. It doesn't do dynamic lines though.

All the switchgear feels well made and responds pleasingly. Auto climate control is... eh... but you can control it manually if you like so there's a way out.

Headlights are pretty decent. Not as good as the GTI's were. But better than halogens. The fog lights are completely useless. So lighting is one area the GTI has a leg up.
Bump.
Johnny_P

Calvinball wrote:You have a BPV, not a BOV.
Whatever it is it makes a pssssh when you let off the throttle.
max225

Hows the base stereo? Is it as bad as they say?

How many miles on that thing ? Is the break in 500, or 1500 miles?

I'd follow that thing religiously if you plan on keeping the car. I am NOT a believer of the whole "broken in from the factory" bullshit.

I am jelly of the handling, the WRX was pretty damn epic too, too bad the WRX was slow...
Calvinball

maxtdi wrote:Hows the base stereo? Is it as bad as they say?

How many miles on that thing ? Is the break in 500, or 1500 miles?

I'd follow that thing religiously if you plan on keeping the car. I am NOT a believer of the whole "broken in from the factory" bullshit.

I am jelly of the handling, the WRX was pretty damn epic too, too bad the WRX was slow...
Base stereo, from my understanding, is significantly better than the previous gen (which was pretty bad).

1000 mile break-in, but you want to start giving a little boost starting like halfway through that to get things to seat properly.