Johnny_P's Street Parking Palooza

Strut your greasy stuff!
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Melon wrote:GTV-6 makes my :flaccid: :dong:

Not the fastest but what a great drive/ride and look. It just had 'it' ! :)
Last edited by Davestr on Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote:Yeah, the fact that the STI is one of the last analog cars... :megusta:

I really love it for that. It's a big middle finger to electric steering.

Does the STI have a LSD?
Breh.

Center is electronically controlled, you can move the torque split to more front or rear bias.
Front is helical LSD
Rear is Torsen LSD
Front also gets brake-based torque vectoring
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote:
[user not found] wrote:Yeah, the fact that the STI is one of the last analog cars... :megusta:

Does the STI have a LSD?
It has three LSD's breh.

...also just read that the newest gen have even quicker steering ratio at 13:1. That's :fuckyeah: and better than nearly anything else on the road.
I'm telling you Troy, you'd love this thing. Its batshit.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Johnny_P wrote:

Does the STI have a LSD?
Breh.

Center is electronically controlled, you can move the torque split to more front or rear bias.
Front is helical LSD
Rear is Torsen LSD
Torsen

:jizz:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Johnny_P

It absolutely rockets out of corners. The chassis is unflappable. The grip is :mindblown:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote:It absolutely rockets out of corners. The chassis is unflappable. The grip is :mindblown:
Can't wait to try it out at Deal's FAP!
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote:To be clear, I would have gone with the WRX as it drove great. I just didn't like the engine's response and power delivery, and didn't want to deal with modding a brand new car to fix those issues.

The boost profile of the WRX means it starts building pressure around 1800 or so, and it's a quick build. For me, that means a boost whip after every stop sign. The give it gas, wait a half second, and there it goes. The 2.0L engine doesn't have much grunt without the turbo helping it along and that makes true city driving where you're spending a lot of time under 2k RPMs, painful. Add in a very hyperactive throttle and it felt like a handful on the test drive. Could I get used to it? I guess. But I left that car thinking I'd need to tune right away to ease out the throttle and smoothen the delivery.

The STI's motor was the reason I went with it. The 2.5L doesn't boost until 3500 or so, and below that its just NA power. The turbo is off entirely. Because of this I'm much much smoother in this car than I ever was in the GTI.
Not sure what the actual graphs are showing but the WRX i drove was DEAD below 2500. After that it was more lively and linear all way to redline. But below 2500 :disgust:
Johnny_P

Melon wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:It absolutely rockets out of corners. The chassis is unflappable. The grip is :mindblown:
Can't wait to try it out at Deal's FAP!
I doubt I'll be able to keep up with you. Dat V8.
Johnny_P

maxtdi wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:To be clear, I would have gone with the WRX as it drove great. I just didn't like the engine's response and power delivery, and didn't want to deal with modding a brand new car to fix those issues.

The boost profile of the WRX means it starts building pressure around 1800 or so, and it's a quick build. For me, that means a boost whip after every stop sign. The give it gas, wait a half second, and there it goes. The 2.0L engine doesn't have much grunt without the turbo helping it along and that makes true city driving where you're spending a lot of time under 2k RPMs, painful. Add in a very hyperactive throttle and it felt like a handful on the test drive. Could I get used to it? I guess. But I left that car thinking I'd need to tune right away to ease out the throttle and smoothen the delivery.

The STI's motor was the reason I went with it. The 2.5L doesn't boost until 3500 or so, and below that its just NA power. The turbo is off entirely. Because of this I'm much much smoother in this car than I ever was in the GTI.
Not sure what the actual graphs are showing but the WRX i drove was DEAD below 2500. After that it was more lively and linear all way to redline. But below 2500 :disgust:
Yeah STI would be similar. Just STI is NA at that point, WRX is boosting, and still dead.
Johnny_P

The gearing is also retardedly short in this car. I think it's 3 shifts to 60. :stig: Quite fun in the city.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote:The gearing is also retardedly short in this car. I think it's 3 shifts to 60. :stig: Quite fun in the city.
:notbad:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Breh.

Front is helical LSD
Rear is Torsen LSD
That puts me a full WANTCON 1.

Dude, epic car.
:bruh:

STI and Evo have been like this for over a decade, they're as good as it gets in a car with 60% front weight. There's a reason they're still $15k+ for a good used example - and that's why I never got one.

I looked into getting an Evo IX MR before :poorvette: but at that time I was looking at track use and those things become mega :waxer: if you want to track them hard.
Johnny_P

Evo was always a bit better than the STI but from what I have read is more fragile. Not super fast stock but mod it and you're keeping up with some seriously expensive metal.
max225

Johnny_P wrote:The gearing is also retardedly short in this car. I think it's 3 shifts to 60. :stig: Quite fun in the city.
Shorter hearing plus 25% extra displacement over the WRX should make it a lot more lively around town doe. I frankly didn't feel any boost in the WRX.

Apparently my BMW is making peak boost at 1800, but it certainly doesn't feel that way... MY TDI feels more powerful from 2000-2500. The BMW really wakes up around 3500-7000. This is the most linear turbo engine I have ever felt doe. Just feels like a 4 liter V6 or something.
max225

Johnny_P wrote:Evo was always a bit better than the STI but from what I have read is more fragile. Not super fast stock but mod it and you're keeping up with some seriously expensive metal.
From my understanding EVO always edged the STI, reliability performance etc. But I can't get behind the way it looks...

Also 5 speeds and 3500rpms at 65.

EVOs are insane... you can make them VERY VERY FAST for not that much money.
Johnny_P

maxtdi wrote:
Shorter hearing plus 25% extra displacement over the WRX should make it a lot more lively around town doe. I frankly didn't feel any boost in the WRX.

Apparently my BMW is making peak boost at 1800, but it certainly doesn't feel that way... MY TDI feels more powerful from 2000-2500. The BMW really wakes up around 3500-7000. This is the most linear turbo engine I have ever felt doe. Just feels like a 4 liter V6 or something.
Yeah it's pretty good. Just a slight hint of turbo lag down low but the motor can pull itself well enough without the turbo.

I thought the Mini Cooper S engine was pretty great for lack of lag. It just petered out up top when I was hoping it would have kept pulling and getting more rowdy.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

maxtdi wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:Evo was always a bit better than the STI but from what I have read is more fragile. Not super fast stock but mod it and you're keeping up with some seriously expensive metal.
From my understanding EVO always edged the STI, reliability performance etc. But I can't get behind the way it looks...

initial cost of car was always for higher though, especially once the 8 MR hit
brain go brrrrrr
max225

The mini pooper S was perfect for the shitty IMO. 2 liters is BIG for a 2500lb hatch, you couple that with a TURBRO and that thing was down right peppy from 2000-4500, then from 5000-6500 it was :disgust:
Johnny_P

maxtdi wrote:

Yeah. Looks / interior / lack of Mistubishi dealers / not sure Mitsubishi will even still sell cars in the US are why I didn't explore an Evo.
max225

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
maxtdi wrote:

The X MRs were sold at 5-8k off sticker here, or some nutty 369 a month leases with 0 down. You can't touch that with an STI.

The current sti is just a better car doe. Better interior, better back seat, better back. Blah blah
Johnny_P

maxtdi wrote:The mini pooper S was perfect for the shitty IMO. 2 liters is BIG for a 2500lb hatch, you couple that with a TURBRO and that thing was down right peppy from 2000-4500, then from 5000-6500 it was :disgust:
:dat:

It was real fun putting around. But try and have actual fun with it and the engine went :flaccid: . Argh.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Yep this is the rally car that I want, lightly modded almost exactly the way I'd do it:

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sale-c ... -9-mr.html

but $25k for a 2006 with 100k miles... :nope:
Johnny_P

maxtdi wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
The X MRs were sold at 5-8k off sticker here, or some nutty 369 a month leases with 0 down. You can't touch that with an STI.

The current sti is just a better car doe. Better interior, better back seat, better back. Blah blah
8 and 9 were more costly than the STI, and killed them in every comparo
max225

troyguitar wrote:Yep this is the rally car that I want, lightly modded almost exactly the way I'd do it:

:yeahok: insanity.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote:Yep this is the rally car that I want, lightly modded almost exactly the way I'd do it:

:mindblown: