Strut your greasy stuff!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:25 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:21 am

Hate you say it, but you need to move.
I'm tired of the city and would like a change at this point. But I'm also not really as into cars as I used to be, and don't think the car enthusiast part of me will continue on much longer if at all. If I moved out of the city I'd likely get a pickup truck or SUV.
I hear you.

I'm actually running scenarios with the wife now that completely discount the current plan of building a giant shop/garage steel building on some land. We got initial plans for a couple, including possibly doing an 8500 square foot steel building that has log cabin siding that would be about 2400 square feet for the house and the rest shop/garage. Now I'm thinking even just a 30x40 steel out building can be more than enough for me and just abandon cars/bikes for toys. Basically just have a "shop" to do things like paint, powdercoat, welding, gun building and generally a place to screw off.

I've got too many hobbies today, but when I retire I will probably still have too many and vehicles are a big money pit, so if I lots that one it wouldn't really be a bad thing.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:46 am
Apex wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:36 am

:truk: 4lyfe! :fuckyeah: :truckyeah:
I learned to drive on an F150, and then in high school had a 4.0L Ranger. Both were great trucks. Full size trucks are a little too large for me anymore. The mid size ones seem pretty good. Both were just "jump in and drive" type vehicles. Go anywhere you want, not worry about dirt road or road conditions in general. Automatic so traffic didn't matter. Throw the mountain bike in the back and have fun.

"But you can do that with the STI" they say. Sure. But you have to be in the right mindset for the STI since it's a sensory assault every time. I really rage out in traffic in a manual trans vehicle, I hate it so much. I can only take so much of stop light heaven in an MT until I rage out. And road conditions here are so horrible that I actually plan out my drive to avoid bad roads, so it's not just a jump in and do whatever thing. I legit do not go places because I do not want to drive to them. Like Manayunk.... I have zero desire to drive there to check out that bike. I want to check out the bike, sure, but do NOT want to get in the car and make that 1 hour long trek over pockmarked roads at 10 MPH average speed in a racy MT car. I felt the same way in my GTI which was an "easier" car to putt around in. I want a vehicle that I can just jump in and go anywhere or explore or whatever.

The CUVs I've rented have felt that way to me. Rather NFG to drive, not a big deal to sit in traffic with, NFG ish over potholes. Take it on a dirt or poor condition road and it's fine. Haul the bikes easily. IDK.
All dis.

I had my F150 for nearly 8 years, it was fantastic. Just jump in and go wherever, ZFG. It was also the most expensive to fill up (I think it was $88 to fill up at one point), but :aintcare: it handled everything amazingly, and I might still have it if it wasn't rusting away.

My 'rado is nearly the same dimension wise as my F150 was. Full-sizers are so damn big these days.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:36 am

:truk: 4lyfe! :fuckyeah: :truckyeah:
I learned to drive on an F150, and then in high school had a 4.0L Ranger. Both were great trucks. Full size trucks are a little too large for me anymore. The mid size ones seem pretty good. Both were just "jump in and drive" type vehicles. Go anywhere you want, not worry about dirt road or road conditions in general. Automatic so traffic didn't matter. Throw the mountain bike in the back and have fun.

"But you can do that with the STI" they say. Sure. But you have to be in the right mindset for the STI since it's a sensory assault every time. I really rage out in traffic in a manual trans vehicle, I hate it so much. I can only take so much of stop light heaven in an MT until I rage out. And road conditions here are so horrible that I actually plan out my drive to avoid bad roads, so it's not just a jump in and do whatever thing. I legit do not go places because I do not want to drive to them. Like Manayunk.... I have zero desire to drive there to check out that bike. I want to check out the bike, sure, but do NOT want to get in the car and make that 1 hour long trek over pockmarked roads at 10 MPH average speed in a racy MT car. I felt the same way in my GTI which was an "easier" car to putt around in. I want a vehicle that I can just jump in and go anywhere or explore or whatever.

The CUVs I've rented have felt that way to me. Rather NFG to drive, not a big deal to sit in traffic with, NFG ish over potholes. Take it on a dirt or poor condition road and it's fine. Haul the bikes easily. IDK.
I understand all of this all too well.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:55 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:25 am

I'm tired of the city and would like a change at this point. But I'm also not really as into cars as I used to be, and don't think the car enthusiast part of me will continue on much longer if at all. If I moved out of the city I'd likely get a pickup truck or SUV.
I hear you.

I'm actually running scenarios with the wife now that completely discount the current plan of building a giant shop/garage steel building on some land. We got initial plans for a couple, including possibly doing an 8500 square foot steel building that has log cabin siding that would be about 2400 square feet for the house and the rest shop/garage. Now I'm thinking even just a 30x40 steel out building can be more than enough for me and just abandon cars/bikes for toys. Basically just have a "shop" to do things like paint, powdercoat, welding, gun building and generally a place to screw off.

I've got too many hobbies today, but when I retire I will probably still have too many and vehicles are a big money pit, so if I lots that one it wouldn't really be a bad thing.
Cars really are massive money pits...and if you don't live somewhere where you can enjoy them, can be quite a waste of money.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:00 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:55 am

I hear you.

Cars really are massive money pits...and if you don't live somewhere where you can enjoy them, can be quite a waste of money.
Yep..

and DAMN.. my typos this week have been bad. Trying to listen to pointless meetings while browsing and checking email might be too much.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:57 am

All dis.

I had my F150 for nearly 8 years, it was fantastic. Just jump in and go wherever, ZFG. It was also the most expensive to fill up (I think it was $88 to fill up at one point), but :aintcare: it handled everything amazingly, and I might still have it if it wasn't rusting away.

My 'rado is nearly the same dimension wise as my F150 was. Full-sizers are so damn big these days.
Your truck is a rather ideal size I think.
Johnny_P

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:09 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:00 am
Yep..

and DAMN.. my typos this week have been bad. Trying to listen to pointless meetings while browsing and checking email might be too much.
I mean, where you are, you have the land and cash to fuel a great car hobby. Do whatever makes you happy, man. Blasting around on desert roads in a 911 sounds pretty fucking fun to me. It's certainly not going to break you financially.

I think I'm just transitioning to a phase where I view a vehicle as a means to get to fun stuff, instead of the vehicle itself being the fun stuff.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:10 am
Apex wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:57 am

All dis.

I :wub: mah truck. Only complaint are the factory headlights, but HIDs are waiting to be installed to rectify that.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:13 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:09 am

Yep..

I mean, where you are, you have the land and cash to fuel a great car hobby. Do whatever makes you happy, man. Blasting around on desert roads in a 911 sounds pretty fucking fun to me. It's certainly not going to break you financially.

I think I'm just transitioning to a phase where I view a vehicle as a means to get to fun stuff, instead of the vehicle itself being the fun stuff.
Totally agree with this analysis. I've felt the same way for a while.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:14 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:10 am

I :wub: mah truck. Only complaint are the factory headlights, but HIDs are waiting to be installed to rectify that.
:wrong:

Truck is an epic POS.

I too :wub: my epic POS.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:16 am
Apex wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:14 am

:wrong:

Truck is an epic POS.

I too :wub: my epic POS.
:notwrong:

:lol:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

You don't have to go full :truk: to gain some comfort and utility over a sports car. :iono: :wrong:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:37 am You don't have to go full :truk: to gain some comfort and utility over a sports car. :iono: :wrong:
I know. I just don't have a desire to own a cushy sedan or small car.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:37 am You don't have to go full :truk: to gain some comfort and utility over a sports car. :iono: :wrong:
Even a turbro awd :plac: CX5 would be a million times better to drive than a :truk: and better accommodate your location/lyfe.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:43 am
Johnny_P wrote:
Even a turbro awd :plac: CX5 would be a million times better to drive than a :truk: and better accommodate your location/lyfe.
Right. I said I'd get a pickup or SUV thing if I moved out of the city. A pickup is a bad call for the city due to the length of it. Really a hybrid Rav4 is probably the best thing for me. They're not kill yourself slow, and the hybrid gives you something to do as you putt through traffic. I like Lisa's Cmax.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:13 am I mean, where you are, you have the land and cash to fuel a great car hobby. Do whatever makes you happy, man. Blasting around on desert roads in a 911 sounds pretty fucking fun to me. It's certainly not going to break you financially.

I though the same thing too; get a car that makes for a better daily commute and just enjoy my other hobbies more. But then I'm on the bike as much or less than I was before, and generally have the same amount of time and money to do all of the other things I like to do. Time is the biggest limiting factor, not anything else, and commuting in one car versus another doesn't change that. All I did was give up a car that made commuting fun but admittedly annoying at times to one that's easier to live with but much less fun.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:48 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:43 am Even a turbro awd :plac: CX5 would be a million times better to drive than a :truk: and better accommodate your location/lyfe.
Right. I said I'd get a pickup or SUV thing if I moved out of the city. A pickup is a bad call for the city due to the length of it. Really a hybrid Rav4 is probably the best thing for me. They're not kill yourself slow, and the hybrid gives you something to do as you putt through traffic. I like Lisa's Cmax.
If you have a garage, a plug-in is pretty great. There's going to be more coming down the pipeline, would be a solid choice.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:04 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:48 am

If you have a garage, a plug-in is pretty great. There's going to be more coming down the pipeline, would be a solid choice.
https://insideevs.com/jeep-renegade-com ... -revealed/

Renegade hybrid. 200 something HP, 0-60 in 7 flat. Basically a Rav4 in a better looking Jeep wrapper.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:08 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:04 am
https://insideevs.com/jeep-renegade-com ... -revealed/

Renegade hybrid. 200 something HP, 0-60 in 7 flat. Basically a Rav4 in a better looking Jeep wrapper.
I think this is fantastic. The Compass version is :jimp:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I could literally drive the Jeep to work and back on a single charge. :mindblown: it’s like having an ev for when you need mpgs and a road trip vehicle for when you don’t
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:40 pm I could literally drive the Jeep to work and back on a single charge. :mindblown: it’s like having an ev for when you need mpgs and a road trip vehicle for when you don’t
I was thinking the same thing.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:40 pm I could literally drive the Jeep to work and back on a single charge. :mindblown: it’s like having an ev for when you need mpgs and a road trip vehicle for when you don’t
Pretty epic IMO.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:29 am Got a letter from Subaru, my powertrain warranty is extended to 8yr/100k as a result of class action lawsuit over ringlands and engine bearings.

:notbad:
:nice:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:29 am Got a letter from Subaru, my powertrain warranty is extended to 8yr/100k as a result of class action lawsuit over ringlands and engine bearings.

Which engine bearings ? Holy shitbox of an engine
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:41 pm

Which engine bearings ? Holy shitbox of an engine
Crank bearings I think?

Who the fuck cares? My car has required exactly ZERO repairs. None. My GTI was in the shop 2-3 times by this ownership time. THAT car had a shitbox of an engine. And I'm arguably doing much more damaging low speed city type driving on this motor than I did on the VW motor which at this point in its life had seen a bunch of highway driving.