Johnny_P's Street Parking Palooza

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:14 am
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:23 pm I don't know about comfort. I find toyotas more comfortable than BMWs.... the ride quality which you seem to be really keen on is not there on something like that compared to a toyota on 16" balloon tires.
I think Johnny is referring to seat comfort. Ive been in a few Japanese cars that isn't a Lexus, even an Acura the seats are almost rock hard as far as I can feel it on my back. I have gotten some :nice: compliments on my mk7 seats

John :doit: and I'd also look at indie shops too, which I don't doubt that is a problem.
Bmw seats are rock hard.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:13 am I like the interior colors a lot... normally hate the wood but it's OK here and the seats look great. Those particular seats are bar none the best I've had in any vehicle for daily use. The support is super comfy, they are really adjustable and hold you in nicely for hooning.

I disagree with Max on the suspension, I find mine is perfect for DD, sporty enough to be fun, but still quite compliant. This is all relative :doe: , it is anus shattering to some. I think it is a really nice blend of comfort/semi-fun for a daily.

That said, for what you're looking for, the Japanese Camry may be the better choice :iono:
The comparison is between bmw and Toyota ... it’s completely relative. Even within the bmw line up my m3 rode harder than stis and frankly every other car other than fuckus rs, 328/335 fake sports ride like wet noodles in comparison. The next level of comfort is Toyota... for someone that is looking for :aintcare: motoring i wouldn’t bmw
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:13 am I like the interior colors a lot... normally hate the wood but it's OK here and the seats look great. Those particular seats are bar none the best I've had in any vehicle for daily use. The support is super comfy, they are really adjustable and hold you in nicely for hooning.

I disagree with Max on the suspension, I find mine is perfect for DD, sporty enough to be fun, but still quite compliant. This is all relative :doe: , it is anus shattering to some. I think it is a really nice blend of comfort/semi-fun for a daily.

That said, for what you're looking for, the Japanese Camry may be the better choice :iono:
A lot of my feelings won’t be relatable to people on this board because my living situation is drastically different than most. The roads, highways, and infrastructure in general in philly are as bad as NYC. So I do need something that can soak up bad roads without too much issue. My STI was a choice and I love it, but it’s a bit much for passengers (Lisa and baby) and the dog and all. And sadly does not cope well with NJ’s even worse roads. My prior GTI was also no good at dealing with these roads, it had too much head toss and not enough damping. In some ways the STIs suspension is actually better for around here. It settles better and dispatches potholes with less of a slam. Get it on the highway and I do miss the GTIs smoother ride and more laid back demeanor.

The complication is I do still enjoy driving and don’t want to drive something that is a total slug. I’m sure a Camry hybrid or a 2.0T Accord would be fine. I’m just not at all jazzed about getting one. Oddly I’m more excited about an RDX. And I’d want a newer one which is a dumb choice in the land of bash-em-up.

Something that is easy to just jump into and drive 10 blocks to Whole Foods over bad roads. Or drive to work over busted bridges. Or take the fam to a hike or bike ride.

No I don’t need a BMW to do that, but maybe I’ll test out an F30 anyway. They seem decent. I don’t like the premium fuel requirement but if that’s all that sucks then it’s not too bad to deal with. I like how quick they are and they seem decent on gas. AWD is nice so I won’t be doing the winter wheel dance. Most people I know that bought one loved them.

The civic hatch is intriguing. It’s the same price as the F30 though. And used isn’t much discount.
Johnny_P

Ask CX5 turbo was pretty great. Nice motor and nice car overall with the anal blowers. Maybe I should stalk used ones. It rode rough but maybe could be fixed with some 17s.

I’d take it over the Volvo XC40.

They’re so expensive though.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:14 am
:neat: but likely the worst possible pick for me.
:hellno: If I have an indoor garage in the city, would buy. Even I drive an egg and looking for an apt with my own parking/garage
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:35 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:14 am

:neat: but likely the worst possible pick for me.
:hellno: If I have an indoor garage in the city, would buy. Even I drive an egg and looking for an apt with my own parking/garage
The point was to illustrate how retarded the price point of the other car was
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I personally love that white wagon, and don't really see it as any worse of an option than a JGC. You lose some interior space, and the repairs are likely to be more expensive, but it's on another level as far as quality is concerned. The mpg is likely better, and it's a stout drivetrain performance wise. In the real world likely even quicker to jump into a lame merge etc than your STI. Sizing the wheels down would be easy as shit, and as I mentioned in Zils thread the JGC trims with light colored interior don't get the nice seats. Yes they will be heated and cooled in the Limited trim but they aren't very plush or supportive. I fully support driving this car to see how it is.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:36 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:35 am

The point was to illustrate how retarded the price point of the other car was
:dat: too, but man this is the perfect spec for me :doe: even though I'm more of a Yas marina blue kinda guy. I'm a sucker for red interior :gay:
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

:dat:

and for what we are looking for the 328 wagoon and the Audi all road have entered the chat.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:nice: find but that deal doesnt exactly happen out here. Those are still $50k.

Also, the M tax for the wife unit is a hard :nope:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:39 am

and for what we are looking for the 328 wagoon and the Audi all road have entered the chat.
But VAG is :nope: to Johnny boy! Not to mention, dat air suspension.
max225

dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:43 am Aye Max.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... =spotlight

Fucking :jimp:

So close to that curb... :yikes:

And yes... Having spent almost 2 years in one I occasionally miss it. That car had a great presense... Also agreed on yas marina... YAS MARINA+WHITE INTERIOR. Aka miami vice drug :dillerman: spec. :wub:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:55 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:43 am Aye Max.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... =spotlight

Fucking :jimp:

And yes... Having spent almost 2 years in one I occasionally miss it. That car had a great presense... Also agreed on yas marina... YAS MARINA+WHITE INTERIOR. Aka miami vice drug :dillerman: spec. :wub:
I hope I end up getting any interior color that isn't black for my next car. I had beige on my TSX and my moms 535i was alpine white, it was great for the summers here without the tints, no back sweat or any of that black interior bs
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:03 am
max225 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:55 am

I hope I end up getting any interior color that isn't black for my next car. I had beige on my TSX and my moms 535i was alpine white, it was great for the summers here without the tints, no back sweat or any of that black interior bs
I don’t share the black interior hate and I live on the surface of the sun. I can’t do black exterior anymore tho
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:10 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:03 am

I don’t share the black interior hate and I live on the surface of the sun. I can’t do black exterior anymore tho
Your summers are also different too, and I'm genuinely jealous of that. Speaking of SF, I just dated a girl from :millennial: apps who grew up in SF till college and she was :mindblown: how bad the summers are in my area. Johnny can confirm this. I've been in road trips in black interior cars both cloth and leather during the summers in Turkey and their climate are about the same as cali's (ie. not humid) and I barely got any sweat.

I also agree on black exteriors doe, they are a bitch to keep clean.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:15 am
max225 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:10 am

Your summers are also different too, and I'm genuinely jealous of that. Speaking of SF, I just dated a girl from :millennial: apps who grew up in SF till college and she was :mindblown: how bad the summers are in my area. Johnny can confirm this. I've been in road trips in black interior cars both cloth and leather during the summers in Turkey and their climate are about the same as cali's (ie. not humid) and I barely got any sweat.

Bay Area weather is not just sf... sf is 70f

:waxer: summers are at 110F on the regular where I am at its
Somewhere in the middle
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:19 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:15 am

Somewhere in the middle
But pay is 20X regardless so you can fan yourselves with all that extra cash making the heat more tolerable.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:30 am
max225 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:19 am

Somewhere in the middle
But pay is 20X regardless so you can fan yourselves with all that extra cash making the heat more tolerable.
Not if your mortgage is 5 figures a month on average
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:39 am

VW? :disgust:
The thought of maintaining a used BMW is :disgust: enough.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:29 am

A lot of my feelings won’t be relatable to people on this board because my living situation is drastically different than most. The roads, highways, and infrastructure in general in philly are as bad as NYC. So I do need something that can soak up bad roads without too much issue. My STI was a choice and I love it, but it’s a bit much for passengers (Lisa and baby) and the dog and all. And sadly does not cope well with NJ’s even worse roads. My prior GTI was also no good at dealing with these roads, it had too much head toss and not enough damping. In some ways the STIs suspension is actually better for around here. It settles better and dispatches potholes with less of a slam. Get it on the highway and I do miss the GTIs smoother ride and more laid back demeanor.

The complication is I do still enjoy driving and don’t want to drive something that is a total slug. I’m sure a Camry hybrid or a 2.0T Accord would be fine. I’m just not at all jazzed about getting one. Oddly I’m more excited about an RDX. And I’d want a newer one which is a dumb choice in the land of bash-em-up.

Something that is easy to just jump into and drive 10 blocks to Whole Foods over bad roads. Or drive to work over busted bridges. Or take the fam to a hike or bike ride.

No I don’t need a BMW to do that, but maybe I’ll test out an F30 anyway. They seem decent. I don’t like the premium fuel requirement but if that’s all that sucks then it’s not too bad to deal with. I like how quick they are and they seem decent on gas. AWD is nice so I won’t be doing the winter wheel dance. Most people I know that bought one loved them.

The civic hatch is intriguing. It’s the same price as the F30 though. And used isn’t much discount.
It all makes sense to me given your circumstances :iono: Obviously you are a car guy as you were willing to pay good money for an STI which is an amazing car. This is why I have some back to the F30 over the boring CUVs, I think it meets in the middle nicely for you. FWIW I ran donkey piss in mine for the first six months without issue :iono: The owners manual clearly states that running lower grade fuel "May Decrease Maximum Performance" but won't hurt the car.

Also, they are WAY better on gas than a JGC, I got 36 MPGs the other weekend driving from Greenville, SC to Charlotte. My normal city mileage is 26-27, highway typically 32. The auto gets better mileage. I also don't goose it all that much as it feels like a nice cruiser to me. I drive the C5 for fun, this is the car I get in to just drive to work, the store, road trips with ease and comfort. I think the seats are supremely comfy, I am way more comfortable in my car than my wife's Fusion (although the Fusion does have a cushier ride).

I think you would be happier with something like one of these or an Acura/Infiniti/MB sedan/wagon. It's just less depressing than a CRV ultimately.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Swedish Chef owned a F31 before he moved here. If we could ever get him to come back maybe he could share real world experience with a xdrive wagün

Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:32 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:29 am

It all makes sense to me given your circumstances :iono: Obviously you are a car guy as you were willing to pay good money for an STI which is an amazing car. This is why I have some back to the F30 over the boring CUVs, I think it meets in the middle nicely for you. FWIW I ran donkey piss in mine for the first six months without issue :iono: The owners manual clearly states that running lower grade fuel "May Decrease Maximum Performance" but won't hurt the car.

Also, they are WAY better on gas than a JGC, I got 36 MPGs the other weekend driving from Greenville, SC to Charlotte. My normal city mileage is 26-27, highway typically 32. The auto gets better mileage. I also don't goose it all that much as it feels like a nice cruiser to me. I drive the C5 for fun, this is the car I get in to just drive to work, the store, road trips with ease and comfort. I think the seats are supremely comfy, I am way more comfortable in my car than my wife's Fusion (although the Fusion does have a cushier ride).

I think you would be happier with something like one of these or an Acura/Infiniti/MB sedan/wagon. It's just less depressing than a CRV ultimately.
The gas mileage is a real thing. Where I live, you're guaranteed to get worse than EPA city mileage on any car. Which is where hybrids make sense, or like the Civic has a really efficient motor with the 1.5T.

I think a JGC would get about 10 MPG around where I live. That's consistent with multiple trucks and SUVs we had in the refinery which was similar speed / stopping amounts.... they all got 8-10 MPG.
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:41 am Swedish Chef owned a F31 before he moved here. If we could ever get him to come back maybe he could share real world experience with a xdrive wagün

Didn't he hate the xdrive? I think he sold it for a Mini.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:48 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:41 am Swedish Chef owned a F31 before he moved here. If we could ever get him to come back maybe he could share real world experience with a xdrive wagün

Didn't he hate the xdrive? I think he sold it for a Mini.
He sold it because he moved to the states. He thought it was full compared to his GoRf yeah, but I'm sure compared to a crv/RAV4 it's absolutely :notbad: