Johnny_P's Street Parking Palooza

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:56 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:49 am
They never caught on because there was zero marketing effort behind them. Nobody really knew they existed and those that did just thought it was "GM's Prius".

A neighbor across the street came over asking questions about our Volt a month ago. He had no idea about the electric range, charging, etc. He sat inside it, poked around the hatch, and was really impressed. He left and a few days later came home with a new one that he got a great deal on from the :dillerman: looking to liquidate inventory.
:notbad:

:rage: :| on the bolded. Yoda markets the shit out of the Prius, successfully, so there's no good reason why the General couldn't have done it.
The cars were sold at break-even so there was no incentive to market them. Spending money to market them would be money lit on fire, actually. It's a real shame.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:49 am
They never caught on because there was zero marketing effort behind them. Nobody really knew they existed and those that did just thought it was "GM's Prius".

A neighbor across the street came over asking questions about our Volt a month ago. He had no idea about the electric range, charging, etc. He sat inside it, poked around the hatch, and was really impressed. He left and a few days later came home with a new one that he got a great deal on from the :dillerman: looking to liquidate inventory.

:rage: :| on the bolded. Yoda markets the shit out of the Prius, successfully, so there's no good reason why the General couldn't have done it.
It’s not marketing. Prius is the number one hybrid and everyone knows what a Prius is. Yet no one is buying them.

It’s a shift in consumers behavior. Look no further than our own off roading :truk: and :jeep: threads.
Toyota is having 20/30% sales increases in a hideous suv with 0 marketing and whose powertrain dates back to 2004

Spending money on a refresh of the volt was completely foolish if I was in charge of that capex I would have capped it well before it even went through engineering.

Not saying it’s a bad car but it’s a car no one wants.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:07 am

It’s not marketing. Prius is the number one hybrid and everyone knows what a Prius is. Yet no one is buying them.

It’s a shift in consumers behavior. Look no further than our own off roading :truk: and :jeep: threads.
Toyota is having 20/30% sales increases in a hideous suv with 0 marketing and whose powertrain dates back to 2004

Spending money on a refresh of the volt was completely foolish if I was in charge of that capex I would have capped it well before it even went through engineering.

Well, that's a completely different thing.

Prius used to sell well, now it doesn't because of the preference shift. Awareness is high, which may or may not be helping it at this point, but Toyota went all-in marketing that thing for years. The Volt never really sold well, mostly due to awareness.

Totally agreed that additional capex on that thing would have been :fullretard: but the car as it was was good enough to garner more sales than it did. Killing it was likely the right move now rather than trying to increase awareness of a car that nobody would want now even if they knew it did exist, but it was a decade-long series of blunders that killed what was a really brilliant car with incredible engineering behind it. It could have been a brighter spot for the company, sad that the tech died the way it did.

There's also a ton of negative publicity around its plant closure and it goes against everything the company is claiming to stand for (electrification). Hard to claim to be all-in on electrified vehicles when you kill what might be your best one and just pump out :truk: :truk: :truk: ads non stop.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:41 am

Prius used to sell well, now it doesn't because of the preference shift. Awareness is high, which may or may not be helping it at this point, but Toyota went all-in marketing that thing for years. The Volt never really sold well, mostly due to awareness.

Totally agreed that additional capex on that thing would have been :fullretard: but the car as it was was good enough to garner more sales than it did. Killing it was likely the right move now rather than trying to increase awareness of a car that nobody would want now even if they knew it did exist, but it was a decade-long series of blunders that killed what was a really brilliant car with incredible engineering behind it. It could have been a brighter spot for the company, sad that the tech died the way it did.

There's also a ton of negative publicity around its plant closure and it goes against everything the company is claiming to stand for (electrification). Hard to claim to be all-in on electrified vehicles when you kill what might be your best one and just pump out :truk: :truk: :truk: ads non stop.
Gm is pumping out what people want ...
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:01 am

The cars were sold at break-even so there was no incentive to market them. Spending money to market them would be money lit on fire, actually. It's a real shame.
Again, :|
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

The bolded is what I was trying to say in my original post.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:58 am

Gm is pumping out what people want ...
Right...while claiming to be moving to the opposite and doing absolutely nothing to support that claim.

So much :fullretard: over there it's :disgust:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:41 am
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:34 am

I dunno does it matter ? They are both super cheap to drive. I can’t :member: but there are several versions of things like the fusion, some plug in some not. I don’t think Johnny has the plug in.
They are both pretty decent cars for what they are. Personally ... I would civic sport though ... at least it handles ... but you guys prefer even smaller wheels and softer suspensions
Commuting on all electric is fantastic IMO...even cheaper than gas and more enjoyable. I'd really value that aspect in a hybrid.

Being able to put 15" wheels on it for the winter is game changing. Rides like a marshmallow over our lunar roads, zero concern about sidewall blow-outs, etc. Not many cars can take 15" wheels anymore, but the Volt can do it because the brakes are tiny since regen does most of the braking.
Plug in only matters if you can, you know, plug it in somewhere.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:24 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:41 am
Commuting on all electric is fantastic IMO...even cheaper than gas and more enjoyable. I'd really value that aspect in a hybrid.

Being able to put 15" wheels on it for the winter is game changing. Rides like a marshmallow over our lunar roads, zero concern about sidewall blow-outs, etc. Not many cars can take 15" wheels anymore, but the Volt can do it because the brakes are tiny since regen does most of the braking.
:sass:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Isn't there a 110 inside the volt? Extension chord that bitch and charge it while driving from inside the car.
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:44 pm Isn't there a 110 inside the volt? Extension chord that bitch and charge it while driving from inside the car.
:mindblown:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:29 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:24 pm

:sass:
Hybrid makes more sense to a lot of people still.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:44 pm Isn't there a 110 inside the volt? Extension chord that bitch and charge it while driving from inside the car.
:lolol: :science:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well, every company is just looking to make money.

Unfortunately what people want right now are dangerously slow lifted hatchbacks and :truk: with automatic transmissions.

I've pretty much given up on liking any new cars. Jeep, Corvette, SUpra, 86, Miata, Mustang, Camaro, Civic Hype R/Si, and Subaru douche wagons are the only new vehicles I have even one ounce of interest in.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:39 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:34 pm
Seriously...that thing would be killing it right now.
Nissan killed every single decent vehicle over the last decade.
Except for one. And she's pricey.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:08 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:39 pm

Nissan killed every single decent vehicle over the last decade.
GT-R is dead as well... who the hell is going to get that when the new C8 is 1/2 of that cost.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:13 pm

GT-R is dead as well... who the hell is going to get that when the new C8 is 1/2 of that cost.
There is a brotastic appeal to that car that is not market driven.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The internet says there will be a 2020 GTR.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:18 pm

The internet says there will be a 2020 GTR.
I am just saying that Nissan killed it by raising MSRP 5-10k a year for the last 10 years. You can pick up a used one for 1/2 of what a new one costs... with no miles, and Nissan is selling 200 units a year... to me that means its dead to me.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:17 pm

You, like, get me, bro :wub:
Johnny_P

I'm really digging the Volvo XC40 and XC60 models.
Especially the XC60.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:53 pm I'm really digging the Volvo XC40 and XC60 models.
Especially the XC60.
I believe :[user not found]: @[user not found] had one ....very briefly.....
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:17 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:17 pm

You, like, get me, bro :wub:
It is a unique vehicle.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

GTR is lame... way too expensive for something that is old news and has been out for a decade plus. Every journalist ever says it’s a boring as hell car to drive to, basically an Xbox+Forza for 400X the cost.

It’s also hideous.

Not only would I rather get a C8, I’d rather get a Supra or any decent Porsche.
Johnny_P

Been driving the car around in sport mode. It's a lot more fun for sure. Over bad roads the car bucks a lot from the touchy throttle. It's hard to keep it at a constant input. But man, it all just doesn't f'in matter when you get this car moving. It's still so much fun to drive.

The POTML plate frame wore the paint off the trunk lid from vibrating against it. I'll have to address that. I have that Dr Colorchip stuff I guess I'll try it first. Hm.