Strut your greasy stuff!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:19 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:34 pm

Motorcycle lane splitting should be 50 state legal

It's legal in CA. I am fascinated with the risk taking that motorcycle guys engage in with this shitshow. You're safe with me, I'm a 50 year old man who actually drives when he drives. But how are you safe with Abuelita looking at her phone 80% of the time she drives making sure all of her 8 children are coordinated? You're not. You're one destroyed kneecap away from colliding with the front fender of a 1989 Aerostar.
Another :impressive: vehicle built in Canuckistan.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

vredestein tyre is a kickass high performance winter that sucks in deep snow but feels 5/7 in spirited driving.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:34 pm

Motorcycle lane splitting should be 50 state legal

It's legal in CA. I am fascinated with the risk taking that motorcycle guys engage in with this shitshow. You're safe with me, I'm a 50 year old man who actually drives when he drives. But how are you safe with Abuelita looking at her phone 80% of the time she drives making sure all of her 8 children are coordinated? You're not. You're one destroyed kneecap away from colliding with the front fender of a 1989 Aerostar.
These are my personal opinions on lane splitting

1. Lane splitting on the highway is always risky.
2. Lane splitting traffic moving more than 30 miles an hour is stupid.
3. Lane splitting at a speed over 10 mph over what the cars are going is stupid.

So, if i were to lane split... I'd only do it on very slow moving or stopped highways, i would not be buzzing in between cars, and I'd mostly just filter through stopped traffic to the front at lights.
:micdrop:
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:50 am

3. Lane splitting at a speed over 10 mph over what the cars are going is stupid.

So, if i were to lane split... I'd only do it on very slow moving or stopped highways, i would not be buzzing in between cars, and I'd mostly just filter through stopped traffic to the front at lights.
I agree with you on all three points, but I do it and have done it for almost 30 years. What I can say is that if you are on high alert (as you always should be as a rider) you can severely reduce the risk of accidents while splitting lanes. Basically, don't just go because you can and it's legal. Evaluate every car and your path individually, don't pass when you shouldn't due to safety risks.

I see a lot of bikers that will just go, taking more risks than needed and getting pissed off and kicking cars and bashing mirrors when the person is the car honestly can't be blamed for not seeing them approach at the speed and location they are closing at. Also, one of the most stupid things I see are bikers riding on the left or right shoulder of the road. There's so much debris there that they are risking a blowout and a big accident shortly down the road.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:38 am

I agree with you on all three points, but I do it and have done it for almost 30 years. What I can say is that if you are on high alert (as you always should be as a rider) you can severely reduce the risk of accidents while splitting lanes. Basically, don't just go because you can and it's legal. Evaluate every car and your path individually, don't pass when you shouldn't due to safety risks.

I see a lot of bikers that will just go, taking more risks than needed and getting pissed off and kicking cars and bashing mirrors when the person is the car honestly can't be blamed for not seeing them approach at the speed and location they are closing at. Also, one of the most stupid things I see are bikers riding on the left or right shoulder of the road. There's so much debris there that they are risking a blowout and a big accident shortly down the road.
Yet that's where people want cyclists to ride. You're right, there's a ton of debris, glass, metal, etc on road shoulders of just about every road, not just highways.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I've almost hit several motorcyclists out here that were riding in the shoulder as I scooted over to make room for another guy coming up on me who was legally lane splitting. Fucking idiots who ride on the shoulder are for sure gonna die one day.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:57 am

I've almost hit several motorcyclists out here that were riding in the shoulder as I scooted over to make room for another guy coming up on me who was legally lane splitting. Fucking idiots who ride on the shoulder are for sure gonna die one day.
They do every day. Darwin award nominees. In a world where we have air bags inside seat belts, I am shocked we allow this type of vehicular behavior.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:36 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:57 am

They do every day. Darwin award nominees. In a world where we have air bags inside seat belts, I am shocked we allow this type of vehicular behavior.
GF was driving out of San Fran, we were on a packed highway going like 60 MPH or something, and a motorcycle buzzed us lane splitting at like 80+, scared the shit out of her. Full fucking retard.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:45 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:36 pm

GF was driving out of San Fran, we were on a packed highway going like 60 MPH or something, and a motorcycle buzzed us lane splitting at like 80+, scared the shit out of her. Full fucking retard.
Dude every day...
I go 30-40mph due to occasional slow downs that happen frequently, they buzz you at 60-70mph and if you don't get out of their FUCKING WAY which is in between cars... they kick your door or break off the mirror. Full on :disgust: i have personally witnessed it on several occasions as well. I really need that dash cam i suppose.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:52 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:45 pm

Dude every day...
I go 30-40mph due to occasional slow downs that happen frequently, they buzz you at 60-70mph and if you don't get out of their FUCKING WAY which is in between cars... they kick your door or break off the mirror. Full on :disgust: i have personally witnessed it on several occasions as well. I really need that dash cam i suppose.
They're so fucking entitled about you getting out of their way here. I only do it now if I see them waving and acknowledging cars behind me that got out of their way. If they don't wave when people move for them, I stay right where I am.
Johnny_P

Are camber plates :fullretard: on a street-only car? Seems you can align to about -1.2 to -1.7 degrees camber on the front of a stock STI but it varies. Apparently these come alive on track at -2 degrees. But I can't find much about street driving.

Also actually considering the GTWORX/RCE suspension kit I posted in car chat.
http://www.gtworx.com/gtworx_v1921/gtwo ... 7-sti.html

Reduced bounce and jarring, still great handling. Bilstein dampers.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Aren't you thinking about :plac: ing in a year or so? As tempting as it may be don't put a bunch of money into the car.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:17 pm Aren't you thinking about :plac: ing in a year or so? As tempting as it may be don't put a bunch of money into the car.
Who knows? I'm torn because I love the car but I want an automatic.

Two things annoy me with the car:
1) Bouncy suspension over shit roads
2) Insanely touchy throttle

Both can be fixed. If it prevents :plac: then why not? A bit of a gamble though, most of these tuner shops are really just trying to push product and make all sorts of riotous claims that forum members back up, and then when you get the thing installed you're like, "hey wait bruh this aspect of it totally blows" and it's all "oh yeah well that'll happen duh just live with it." Like, I take most claims of lowering springs providing a better ride than stock with a metric ton of salt, but these guys actually backed it up with stating how they adjusted the damping curves and spring progression. Most shops just say "provides a great ride" with no backup to the claim. But yeah there's a solid chance I get this and it doesn't fix shit and/or rides harsher than it did before at which point I'd be pissed.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

I don't know dude, I still think you should check out the Com C's.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showth ... ?t=1937801

Before I sold the subie I thought I'd just do those up front, get this:
http://cygnusperformance.com/cart.php?t ... ory_id=779

and this:

with a real alignment and see how that did.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:09 pm Are camber plates :fullretard: on a street-only car? Seems you can align to about -1.2 to -1.7 degrees camber on the front of a stock STI but it varies. Apparently these come alive on track at -2 degrees. But I can't find much about street driving.

I'd personally skip all of the springs and bars and do only a set of great struts and a performance alignment - maybe adding front camber bolts or a rear sway bar after that but probably not bothering unless you decide to get into track/autox stuff. 350 lbs/in isn't :fullretard: but that's still a pretty stiff spring on a street car.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:23 pm I don't know dude, I still think you should check out the Com C's.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showth ... ?t=1937801

Before I sold the subie I thought I'd just do those up front, get this:

and this:

with a real alignment and see how that did.
Hm. I'm not getting understeer though so :iono: these won't do shit for bouncy ride at low speed like revalved dampers will. And RCE is local so any issues I could make the drive to them. It's lost a bit of it's initial turn in immediacy so I think the toe is a bit dicked up. And everyone says these handle a lot better with some negative camber so :iono: why not do it all at once.

Those Com C's though..

https://www.google.com/search?q=forum+s ... e&ie=UTF-8
Just a google search brings up a ton of failures.

I wonder if just camber bolts would get the front to where I'd want.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:44 pm Hm. I'm not getting understeer though so :iono: these won't do shit for bouncy ride at low speed like revalved dampers will. And RCE is local so any issues I could make the drive to them. It's lost a bit of it's initial turn in immediacy so I think the toe is a bit dicked up. And everyone says these handle a lot better with some negative camber so :iono: why not do it all at once.

Those Com C's though..

https://www.google.com/search?q=forum+s ... e&ie=UTF-8
Just a google search brings up a ton of failures.

I wonder if just camber bolts would get the front to where I'd want.
Maybe? Whatever people think of the Com Cs, true camber plates are guaranteed to be worse / more harsh.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:38 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:09 pm Are camber plates :fullretard: on a street-only car? Seems you can align to about -1.2 to -1.7 degrees camber on the front of a stock STI but it varies. Apparently these come alive on track at -2 degrees. But I can't find much about street driving.

I'd personally skip all of the springs and bars and do only a set of great struts and a performance alignment - maybe adding front camber bolts or a rear sway bar after that but probably not bothering unless you decide to get into track/autox stuff. 350 lbs/in isn't :fullretard: but that's still a pretty stiff spring on a street car.
They do sell the struts independently. Yeah I'd probably piece something together to avoid the sway bars.
troyguitar

I'd avoid the springs more than the sway bars. Sways have more impact on cornering and less on ride/harshness. You probably don't need either :doe:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:27 pm I'd avoid the springs more than the sway bars. Sways have more impact on cornering and less on ride/harshness. You probably don't need either :doe:
Honestly I bet adjustable dampers are where it's at. Like Konis or something but Koni doesn't make yellows for my car. Because reading up on these dampers, they're stiffer than stock to handle lowering springs, but "provide a better ride" :yeahok: :csb: :idbu:
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:27 pm I'd avoid the springs more than the sway bars. Sways have more impact on cornering and less on ride/harshness. You probably don't need either :doe:
Honestly I bet adjustable dampers are where it's at. Like Konis or something but Koni doesn't make yellows for my car. Because reading up on these dampers, they're stiffer than stock to handle lowering springs, but "provide a better ride" :yeahok: :csb: :idbu:
It's hard to find anyone making great dampers in anything short of a full custom racing coilover for most cars. I think Feal might be a good option for Subarus, customized with stock-ish spring rates and digressive valving. $1500ish last I checked.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

RCE's? :notbad: I've met the owner before and he's awesome.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

We really need to do a backroad drive.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:23 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:17 pm Aren't you thinking about :plac: ing in a year or so? As tempting as it may be don't put a bunch of money into the car.
Who knows? I'm torn because I love the car but I want an automatic.

Two things annoy me with the car:
1) Bouncy suspension over shit roads
2) Insanely touchy throttle

Both can be fixed. If it prevents :plac: then why not? A bit of a gamble though, most of these tuner shops are really just trying to push product and make all sorts of riotous claims that forum members back up, and then when you get the thing installed you're like, "hey wait bruh this aspect of it totally blows" and it's all "oh yeah well that'll happen duh just live with it." Like, I take most claims of lowering springs providing a better ride than stock with a metric ton of salt, but these guys actually backed it up with stating how they adjusted the damping curves and spring progression. Most shops just say "provides a great ride" with no backup to the claim. But yeah there's a solid chance I get this and it doesn't fix shit and/or rides harsher than it did before at which point I'd be pissed.
So a few thoughts:

1. You won't :plac: in a year because you're Johnny_MisterIndecision_P and you'll have the STi for years to come, so :doit: . (I get it, I'm indecisive as hell, have been talking about dumping the C5 all year).

2. Have fun, you work at a job you hate to make good money, so spend it.

3. I agree with :mahtroy: don't get any "performance" springs, I've gone down that road and I don't think it's right for your application. Shocks could be a solid investment and maybe a large rear sway if you like less understeer? I've never driven a Subaru so :iono:

4. As for the camber/alignment, I say :doit: , even though I do a bit of trackdaybro, I mostly street drive my car and it's way more fun with the negative camber. Sterring on mine actually feels good now and a regular C5 has awful steering feel. It'll be more fun just putzing around IMO.
max225

I’m going to beat a dead horse because I think you need to hear it one more time. DONT FUCK WITH THE CAR.