Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:08 am
4zilch wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:45 am
Currently kicking tires on:
Focus RS - more powah, still stupid fun, only slightly more space
Merc GLA45 AMG - basically the same as the RS with a better interior, DCT, AMG tax
Alfa Stelvio (non QF) - more space than the others, still pretty fun to drive (according to the mags), actual towing ability, still kinda spendy - but depreciating on the used market.
Van + Miata - Ultimate solution, would require dailying a Van for a good portion of the year, I don't know if I want yet another vehicle, could allow me to get rid of my trailer; but potentially add a car trailer.
How are the Focus RS's after the whole head gasket fiasco? reliable?

On the Alfas, On a few different podcasts now, including TST some magazine guys have claimed that although nice and fun, they recommend NOT buying any Alfa unless you like issues and loaner cars while under warranty. Makes me wonder about how :[user not found]: is doing with his.

For the van, are you thinking Sprinter or similar? This option is pretty interesting. When I bought the Monster there was a guy in the showroom that I was talking to for quite awhile and he and his wife were using one of the taller Sprinters as a camping/track van and were hauling his Duc's to the tracks with it and sleeping in it too..
Vanlyfe as a track shuttle is awesome. Those sprinters are expensive when decked out though.
I think the Fiat vans are cheaper. Ram promasters. FWD, lower floors. I have no idea if they're well built but USPS uses them around me so they must be halfway acceptable.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

4zilch wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:16 pm Confirmed: No radiator warranty for punctures. SAD!
are tires not covered either?

PATHETIC.
Johnny_P

SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:15 am

On the Alfas, On a few different podcasts now, including TST some magazine guys have claimed that although nice and fun, they recommend NOT buying any Alfa unless you like issues and loaner cars while under warranty. Makes me wonder about how :[user not found]: is doing with his.

For the van, are you thinking Sprinter or similar? This option is pretty interesting. When I bought the Monster there was a guy in the showroom that I was talking to for quite awhile and he and his wife were using one of the taller Sprinters as a camping/track van and were hauling his Duc's to the tracks with it and sleeping in it too..
Vanlyfe as a track shuttle is awesome. Those sprinters are expensive when decked out though.
I think the Fiat vans are cheaper. Ram promasters. FWD, lower floors. I have no idea if they're well built but USPS uses them around me so they must be halfway acceptable.
0/7 would not implement any practice used by USPS.
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:25 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:15 am

0/7 would not implement any practice used by USPS.
:mahtroy:
I like my postal service guy. He's friendly. Puppy likes him too.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:04 am
4zilch wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:45 am The FiST nearly paid off, so like any :derp: I've already started looking at replacements even when I should do the responsible thing and enjoy that no payment lyfe.

Here's some ramblings.

Requirements are following:
Fun to drive
I bit more space than the FiST - still prefer a hatch or similar
Can fit a tow hitch
No VW's
A non-slushbox transmission (a GOOD shiftable auto/dsg/dct)
:manuel: is cool tho

Merc GLA45 AMG - basically the same as the RS with a better interior, DCT, AMG tax
Alfa Stelvio (non QF) - more space than the others, still pretty fun to drive (according to the mags), actual towing ability, still kinda spendy - but depreciating on the used market.
Van + Miata - Ultimate solution, would require dailying a Van for a good portion of the year, I don't know if I want yet another vehicle, could allow me to get rid of my trailer; but potentially add a car trailer.
What's the price range?

Nice thing with a van is, you could theoretically do away with trailering motorcycles and just transport them inside. But DD'ing a cargo van :disgust:

I don't think a Honda Type R can take a hitch because of the center exhaust. Dang.
You had a WRX already right? Could be an option.
C63 AMG
V8 M3
I like the Focus RS, that could be a hella fun choice.
RE: Price range - I haven't established a hard limit for myself yet. Probably shopping in the under 50 -market.

No desire for a WRX
C63 AMG is an option if wagon - but gets too big for my liking
Agreed on the Focus - it's also the cheaper option - From a fun-daily and usability standpoint I don't know that it adds much more than what the Fiesta already gets me tho.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:10 am
Apex wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:08 am FoRS would be fun to check out; dem Recaro's are soooo nice.
Piece of advice re those seats though. Take lady unit with you. Lisa is short and the seat was pushing her shoulders forward in a super uncomfortable way. Crossed it off the list just because of this. But of course YMMV and it's all based on body type.
Yeah - She's already quite comfy in the Recarbroes in the Fiesta - the RS's are more generous than what I currently have, so that shouldn't be an issue.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:45 am

The RS's seem to be fine - the issue was identified as an assembly line issue - some engines were built with the wrong head gasket.

I've heard similar things about Alfa and the wife's Fiat has some random electrical quirks. :[user not found]: gets a random airbag light at times iirc. But I agree on the concerns at large when considering an Alfa.

Yeah - Sprinter or Transit for the van - Mid-roof w/ short wheel base would be ideal. The Promaster is too hideous to consider IMO - though it seems like it has the lowest load height of any of them
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:11 am Evo 10??? That could be totally rad...
No hatch, no care
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:21 am
4zilch wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:16 pm Confirmed: No radiator warranty for punctures. SAD!
are tires not covered either?

PATHETIC.
amirite?

The warranty request was more along the lines of IF my :dillerman: thought they could get it covered. If it had been a bit less obvious, they probably could have.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Velobster N? :iono: about tow hitch :doe:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:32 pm Velobster N? :iono: about tow hitch :doe:
This is a good option. I always forget about dis juan.

It does have a hitch option and assuming they didn't change too much inside from the previous gen, they can hold a lot of shit.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:32 pm Velobster N? :iono: about tow hitch :doe:
Do they come with :haus: avoidance now?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:43 pm
:lolol:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Definitely do not get one without the performance pack.

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:30 pm

Yeah, I realized that one didn’t have the PP after I posted it. There is another bloo one with it locally. Perhaps some tire kicking is in order - there’s an Alfa diller just down the road from the Hyundai diller
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:38 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:30 pm

Yeah, I realized that one didn’t have the PP after I posted it. There is another bloo one with it locally. Perhaps some tire kicking is in order - there’s an Alfa diller just down the road from the Hyundai diller
:doit:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:43 pm
:lolgasm:
:member: sno :(
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Eye fucked a green Stelvio Ti Sport this weekend, also went looking for a bloo Lobster N, but the local diller didn’t have one.
Desertbreh

4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:54 pm Eye fucked a green Stelvio Ti Sport this weekend, also went looking for a bloo Lobster N, but the local diller didn’t have one.
How was it?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:02 pm
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:54 pm Eye fucked a green Stelvio Ti Sport this weekend, also went looking for a bloo Lobster N, but the local diller didn’t have one.
How was it?
Love the looks - this one has the “black” appearance package which basically means black ramz, mirrors, and any normally chrome/silvery piece is now black. It’s a lot sleeker IMO.

Interior is nice, though compared to a Macan, X3, or F-Pace, it lack quality one would expect at the price point.

I did not test drive, but obviously how well it drives is a huge consideration for me. Also, 0/7 would not buy new - depreciation is pretty epic on these...as is the case with most of the things playing in this space.

https://www.rayskillmanfiatsouth.com/in ... n0k7c43955
Johnny_P

F-pace is cool, I think. They sound rad. I am not sure I would want to deal with Jag infotainment, seems it's the flat out worst in the bidness.

Are used Macan S's in the price range yet?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:38 pm F-pace is cool, I think. They sound rad. I am not sure I would want to deal with Jag infotainment, seems it's the flat out worst in the bidness.

Are used Macan S's in the price range yet?
They’re in the mid-40’s. Stelvio QF’s could get there in another year or two.

When I’m in that price range though, I’m leaning more towards Stelvio or GLA45 AMG.

Basically, what’s the most fun AND useful thing?

Or just say fuck it, buy Zil’s :meata: and a :transit: