Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Zilch is +1. :megusta:

Gorgeous bike!
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Tarspin wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:24 am Congrats Zilch, that's a beautiful bike! :jelly:

I need to check in here more often and get your thoughts and feelz on the new Aprilia. I always wanted juan.
I’ll pull some details together. The tech is :jimp: and the sound this thing makes :jizz:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Aprilia and their maddening stickers Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

4zilch wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:04 am Update:

Oh man. That’s gorgeous.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:24 am Congrats Zilch, that's a beautiful bike! :jelly:

I need to check in here more often and get your thoughts and feelz on the new Aprilia. I always wanted juan.
I may have already posted this, but here’s some thoughts from my test ride in August.

Engine is as good as expected. Plenty of torque and rpm range. It’s like a speed Triple with another 50hp on tap. Fueling is pretty spot on, rolling on from a lug didn’t upset things at all. Up and down quickshifter feels like cheating.

Ohlins are better than expected on the road. Stiff, but compliant? Is the way id explain it, sharp edges are rounded off, the suspension compresses, rebounds, and settles. I couldn’t detect a hint of bounciness.

Brakes are good, no better or worse than anything with a Brembo MC and monoblocs.. I’d still probably swap the MC and pads to the setup I currently have on the KTM, but this more personal preference than performance.

Riding position will take some getting used to compared to the KTM. The Aprilia is more committed, pegs higher and further back, bar is lower relative to seat height so there’s more weight on your arms and wrists. Not as committed as a superbike with clipons, but not as relaxed as the KTM...which admittedly I had to do a fair amount of geometry work to get gain some weight and confidence on the front. The Ape riding position seems to be a good balance between comfort and performance.

Niggles, fit and finish is as good as KTM if not better in some areas, but Aprilia uses a lot of philips head fasteners in the body work which is annoying. 98% of KTM fasteners are dual drive torx + hex which is ideal. I suspect the Ape is more difficult to work on whereas the KTM was designed with serviceability in mind.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

4zilch wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:20 pm Aprilia and their maddening stickers Image

This makes me :rage: hardcore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

4zilch wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:00 am

I may have already posted this, but here’s some thoughts from my test ride in August.

Engine is as good as expected. Plenty of torque and rpm range. It’s like a speed Triple with another 50hp on tap. Fueling is pretty spot on, rolling on from a lug didn’t upset things at all. Up and down quickshifter feels like cheating.

Ohlins are better than expected on the road. Stiff, but compliant? Is the way id explain it, sharp edges are rounded off, the suspension compresses, rebounds, and settles. I couldn’t detect a hint of bounciness.

Brakes are good, no better or worse than anything with a Brembo MC and monoblocs.. I’d still probably swap the MC and pads to the setup I currently have on the KTM, but this more personal preference than performance.

Riding position will take some getting used to compared to the KTM. The Aprilia is more committed, pegs higher and further back, bar is lower relative to seat height so there’s more weight on your arms and wrists. Not as committed as a superbike with clipons, but not as relaxed as the KTM...which admittedly I had to do a fair amount of geometry work to get gain some weight and confidence on the front. The Ape riding position seems to be a good balance between comfort and performance.

Niggles, fit and finish is as good as KTM if not better in some areas, but Aprilia uses a lot of philips head fasteners in the body work which is annoying. 98% of KTM fasteners are dual drive torx + hex which is ideal. I suspect the Ape is more difficult to work on whereas the KTM was designed with serviceability in mind.
This is the RSV4 right?
My Vmax had a V4 configuration and I can't say enough good things about it. Oodles of torque like a V twin but could still spool up to redline like an i4. Its crutch was really the handling and weight portion, mind you it was a bruiser that did the quarter mile in 10.49. This is THE answer to great street squidding/moving between cars in stop and go plus weekend track stuff.

Thanks for the update, is the suspension adjudtable? Thats some nice hardware :like:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:08 pm
4zilch wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:00 am

This is the RSV4 right?
My Vmax had a V4 configuration and I can't say enough good things about it. Oodles of torque like a V twin but could still spool up to redline like an i4. Its crutch was really the handling and weight portion, mind you it was a bruiser that did the quarter mile in 10.49. This is THE answer to great street squidding/moving between cars in stop and go plus weekend track stuff.

Thanks for the update, is the suspension adjudtable? Thats some nice hardware :like:
It’s a Tuono 1100. Essentially a re-tuned RSV4 engine and a handlebar instead of clip-ons. The Tuono is tuned more for the street, so more low end torque and more power at lower RPMs. Stock it makes 175 HP and has a 12,300 RPM redline... the RSV makes 201 and has a 13800rpm redline. However the Tuono makes loads more power vs. the RSV4 until about 10k RPM. With some intake modifications and tuning, I’ve seen some data that suggests you can make as much peak power with the Tuono engine if you can get it to breath better from 10k rpm and beyond.

Im familiar with the Vmax and used to own a Vrod, so be between those 2 and the M109R there was a big rivalry between the muscle cruisers at the time. They’re all really great bikes for stop light races vs. just about anything and rolling smoke burnouts..other than that...not. so. much. But you’re right, a V4 is the best of both worlds. Torque like a twin, but revs like an I4. The only engine I would compare this too is the 1050 Speed Triple from Triumph. It’s very similar in how it delivers power, however, the Aprilia makes about 50hp more than the Trumpet.

Back to the Tuono. Got in about a 100 miles today. Aprilia suggests not exceeding 6k RPM for the first 600 miles :balls: I mostly adhered to the recommendation, I did reach 108mph at some point, probably passing a car.

The bike is simply sublime, and I haven’t even scratched the surface of its capability. To answer your question, the suspension is fully adjustible Ohlins front and rear (preload, compression, and rebound). Electronic features are as follows:
3 engine maps (sport, track, race) each with its unique throttle response and engine braking level (adjustible on the fly)
8 levels of traction control (adjustible on the fly)
3 levels of ABS (adjustible while stopped)
3 levels of wheelie control (adjustible on the fly)
3 levels of launch control (haven’t tested yet)
Cruise control
Pit lane limiter (useless, but kinda neat when I roll through the neighborhood)
Up and down quickshifter (my favorite feature)
TFT dash (looks great, even in bright light).
Bosch cornering ABS

Such a great bike. It’s going to be a looong winter.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:32 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:08 pm

This is the RSV4 right?

It’s a Tuono 1100. Essentially a re-tuned RSV4 engine and a handlebar instead of clip-ons. The Tuono is tuned more for the street, so more low end torque and more power at lower RPMs. Stock it makes 175 HP and has a 12,300 RPM redline... the RSV makes 201 and has a 13800rpm redline. However the Tuono makes loads more power vs. the RSV4 until about 10k RPM. With some intake modifications and tuning, I’ve seen some data that suggests you can make as much peak power with the Tuono engine if you can get it to breath better from 10k rpm and beyond.

Im familiar with the Vmax and used to own a Vrod, so be between those 2 and the M109R there was a big rivalry between the muscle cruisers at the time. They’re all really great bikes for stop light races vs. just about anything and rolling smoke burnouts..other than that...not. so. much. But you’re right, a V4 is the best of both worlds. Torque like a twin, but revs like an I4. The only engine I would compare this too is the 1050 Speed Triple from Triumph. It’s very similar in how it delivers power, however, the Aprilia makes about 50hp more than the Trumpet.

Back to the Tuono. Got in about a 100 miles today. Aprilia suggests not exceeding 6k RPM for the first 600 miles :balls: I mostly adhered to the recommendation, I did reach 108mph at some point, probably passing a car.

The bike is simply sublime, and I haven’t even scratched the surface of its capability. To answer your question, the suspension is fully adjustible Ohlins front and rear (preload, compression, and rebound). Electronic features are as follows:
3 engine maps (sport, track, race) each with its unique throttle response and engine braking level (adjustible on the fly)
Cruise control
Bosch cornering ABS

:like:

Totally agree with you about the bruisers. I traded a 600F4 in for it right before some pals and I did a partial cross country tour and I needed something i could ride for 8 straight hrs at a time. The seat on the Vmax was surprising uncormfortable but yamaha had some ghetto superstar highway pegs at a dealer near our second stop and that helped me move around a bit from one set to another. It got sold the year after because I hated the weight and handling insecurity. I could do anything on the Honda and it just stuck, vmax not do much. I did love how you could dump the clutch at 6-7k rpms and it wouldn't lift the front more then a foot.

Ok so I've never heard of that much adjustability short of an F-18 fighter jet. Sounds like there's zero need for a toon. Let us know when you reach the limits of its capabilities haha!

Short of the 150 warning stickers there's nothing I don't like about the bike.... except the described riding posture, but if you were any further back you'd probably feel less planted.

In another life I'll add one to my stable. I think I love it even more now, and would choose your spec over the RSV4. Congrats on the :plac: and good luck looking at it for 3 months without pulling it out and taking it for a spin!
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:51 pm
4zilch wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:32 pm

Cruise control
Bosch cornering ABS

:like:

Totally agree with you about the bruisers. I traded a 600F4 in for it right before some pals and I did a partial cross country tour and I needed something i could ride for 8 straight hrs at a time. The seat on the Vmax was surprising uncormfortable but yamaha had some ghetto superstar highway pegs at a dealer near our second stop and that helped me move around a bit from one set to another. It got sold the year after because I hated the weight and handling insecurity. I could do anything on the Honda and it just stuck, vmax not do much. I did love how you could dump the clutch at 6-7k rpms and it wouldn't lift the front more then a foot.
That’s exactly what I used to do with my Vrod. Dump the clutch at a stop light, if there was traction it was :plaid: if there wasn’t :burnout:

It was also extraordinarily uncomfortable. The clam shell riding position did a number on my lowe back and tail bone. I went from that to a Speed Triple and was loads more comfortable.
Ok so I've never heard of that much adjustability short of an F-18 fighter jet. Sounds like there's zero need for a toon. Let us know when you reach the limits of its capabilities haha!
Tuna is needed when I delete the OE muffler to richen it up a bit and eliminate CELs. I’ll probably hold off on the powah hunt until I get a bit more seat time.
Short of the 150 warning stickers there's nothing I don't like about the bike.... except the described riding posture, but if you were any further back you'd probably feel less planted.

In another life I'll add one to my stable. I think I love it even more now, and would choose your spec over the RSV4. Congrats on the :plac: and good luck looking at it for 3 months without pulling it out and taking it for a spin!
The stickers are all gone except for the one on the inside of the windshield. The whole front of the bike needs to come off to access it and I wasn’t feeling motivated enough to tackle it just yet.

RSV4 is still a great bike. I rode one at the track last year...above 10k rpm it is FAST. If I were going to do a track only bike, it would definitely be on the short list..
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Updated garage pic

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Nothing to report, other than it’s cold.

Apex
Drives: Abominable

4zilch wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:46 pm Nothing to report, other than it’s cold.

That bike is gorgeous.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Apex wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:48 pm That bike is gorgeous.
:dat:

:megusta:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

yes and :megusta:

I
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

if youre cold, theyre cold. Gotta bring it inside the house. And under the tree. :pinshit:

SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

dubshow wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:30 pm

if youre cold, theyre cold. Gotta bring it inside the house. And under the tree. :pinshit:

One of my friends up in Seattle actually does this with his Ninja..
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Years ago, while apartment shopping, one of the requirements was to have the ability to easily park a bike inside if the unit didn't have a garage.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:37 pm

Years ago, while apartment shopping, one of the requirements was to have the ability to easily park a bike inside if the unit didn't have a garage.
I did that for a few years too with my first two bikes after an attempted theft that I interrupted.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:20 pm
4zilch wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:37 pm

I did that for a few years too with my first two bikes after an attempted theft that I interrupted.
Interrupted?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:39 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:20 pm

Interrupted?
Yeah, woke up in the middle of the night, about 2:30AM and remembered that I forgot to put the locks on the bike. Went out to my carport and before I turned the corner I heard them pop the lock out of the cylinder with the dent puller. I started to charge them with my locks in hand, one was one of these:

Two guys.. They saw me and dropped the dent puller and ran like hell to a truck and a third guy waiting for them. That's when I realized I knew who they were. I used to ride with them occasionally. Called the cops, they sent a couple cars to their houses and caught them coming home with another bike they stole after they left my place.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:04 pm
Interrupted?
Yeah, woke up in the middle of the night, about 2:30AM and remembered that I forgot to put the locks on the bike. Went out to my carport and before I turned the corner I heard them pop the lock out of the cylinder with the dent puller. I started to charge them with my locks in hand, one was one of these:

Two guys.. They saw me and dropped the dent puller and ran like hell to a truck and a third guy waiting for them. That's when I realized I knew who they were. I used to ride with them occasionally. Called the cops, they sent a couple cars to their houses and caught them coming home with another bike they stole after they left my place.
Why not just shoot them, then stab them for good measure?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Interrupted?

WOW. People are super shitty. Thats real fawked. Hopefully the prison beads found them well. :pokebeads:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:06 pm

OR. use a spear gun. 2for1.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:06 pm
I was too young to own a handgun at this point (18) and I wasn't going to take my shotgun out in the middle of the night like that.