The Official 4zilch Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

That's a great story about horrible humans that ends happily ever after. I thought someone was getting shot :doe:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Tarspin wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:11 pm That's a great story about horrible humans that ends happily ever after. I thought someone was getting shot :doe:
This made me quit the car club I was hanging out with and decide to never ride/hangout with people that were shitbags or poors.

Too many people out there that will screw you over for their own gain, no matter how large or small it is.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:15 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:11 pm That's a great story about horrible humans that ends happily ever after. I thought someone was getting shot :doe:
This made me quit the car club I was hanging out with and decide to never ride/hangout with people that were shitbags or poors.

Too many people out there that will screw you over for their own gain, no matter how large or small it is.
So many people are garbage, sorry to hear about that.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:04 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:39 pm
Interrupted?
Yeah, woke up in the middle of the night, about 2:30AM and remembered that I forgot to put the locks on the bike. Went out to my carport and before I turned the corner I heard them pop the lock out of the cylinder with the dent puller. I started to charge them with my locks in hand, one was one of these:

Two guys.. They saw me and dropped the dent puller and ran like hell to a truck and a third guy waiting for them. That's when I realized I knew who they were. I used to ride with them occasionally. Called the cops, they sent a couple cars to their houses and caught them coming home with another bike they stole after they left my place.
Damn.

Bike theft isn’t really an issue around me fortunately. Dirt bikes and scooters are easier targets and plentiful.

I’ve got a work colleague visiting from the UK, and he couldn’t believe that there weren’t anchors for locking up a bike on the street. Evidently it’s a yuuge problem over there...like bikes that aren’t locked are gone within minutes. :mindblown:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Took the 400 out for about a 50 mile ride, then immediately jumped on the Tuono for a quick stint. Riding them back to back...takes some adjustment.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I’ve been able to log about 150 miles on the Tuono so far.

In comparison to the KTM.

Suspension: The suspension is significantly better than the KTM. No pogoing, less harsh over sharp bumps. I’m quite surprised because the suspension on the KTM wasn’t exactly “cheap”. I suspect that it’s the advantage of having “real” Ohlins. I say “real” because first fit Ohlins at other OEMs have cheap internals (plastic)

Fueling: In stock form, the fueling is better on the KTM. The throttle is more linear and less sensitive over bumps. Oddly enough the throttle mechanism itself felt better on the KTM. Both bikes are throttle by wire, but I don’t know if KTM had a slightly stiff price spring or what. It’s just better.

Brakes: feel the same. Rear brake works a bit better for now.

Electronics: Can’t say much about the electronics until I get a chance to get it out on the track. I do like the adjustability on the Aprilia. TC levels and wheelie control separated and independent of the engine maps.

Noise: I love the Aprilia sound. Great noise through the intake, you can hear the suck. Noisy clutch and a pleasant gear whine....not sure if the latter is transmission or cam gears. I’ll miss the BOOM that the KTM delivered, but the Ape will have moar loud soon enough.

Dash, hands down the Aprilia. TFT vs LCD. I won’t miss the analog tach on the KTM.

Comfort: The KTM wins. Less reach to the bars, lower pegs. It’s not that the Ape is uncomfortable, but I can ride longer on the KTM. However, the differences in ergos will make the Aprilia more comfortable at the track.

Handing: Every reviewer says the same thing. The Aprilia is the bike you want if you spend a bit of time at the track, the KTM is the bike that’s better on the street. I concur with those statements.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:08 pm I’ve been able to log about 150 miles on the Tuono so far.

In comparison to the KTM.

Suspension: The suspension is significantly better than the KTM. No pogoing, less harsh over sharp bumps. I’m quite surprised because the suspension on the KTM wasn’t exactly “cheap”. I suspect that it’s the advantage of having “real” Ohlins. I say “real” because first fit Ohlins at other OEMs have cheap internals (plastic)

Fueling: In stock form, the fueling is better on the KTM. The throttle is more linear and less sensitive over bumps. Oddly enough the throttle mechanism itself felt better on the KTM. Both bikes are throttle by wire, but I don’t know if KTM had a slightly stiff price spring or what. It’s just better.

Brakes: feel the same. Rear brake works a bit better for now.

Electronics: Can’t say much about the electronics until I get a chance to get it out on the track. I do like the adjustability on the Aprilia. TC levels and wheelie control separated and independent of the engine maps.

Noise: I love the Aprilia sound. Great noise through the intake, you can hear the suck. Noisy clutch and a pleasant gear whine....not sure if the latter is transmission or cam gears. I’ll miss the BOOM that the KTM delivered, but the Ape will have moar loud soon enough.

Dash, hands down the Aprilia. TFT vs LCD. I won’t miss the analog tach on the KTM.

Comfort: The KTM wins. Less reach to the bars, lower pegs. It’s not that the Ape is uncomfortable, but I can ride longer on the KTM. However, the differences in ergos will make the Aprilia more comfortable at the track.

Handing: Every reviewer says the same thing. The Aprilia is the bike you want if you spend a bit of time at the track, the KTM is the bike that’s better on the street. I concur with those statements.
nice review.

I like how you are redefining what is riding season up in indy.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:06 am I like how you are redefining what is riding season up in indy.
It's been pretty mild so far with several days of 40's and low 50's. I can't ride all day at those temps, but if the sun is out it's not bad if you have enough layers. The short days limits seat time as well, once the sun starts going down it cools off in a hurry.

We're due for a "normal winter" IE - Cold in January and February, and consistent warm days by mid/late March. Last year we had snow flurries in early May :bs:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

4zilch wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:16 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:06 am I like how you are redefining what is riding season up in indy.
It's been pretty mild so far with several days of 40's and low 50's. I can't ride all day at those temps, but if the sun is out it's not bad if you have enough layers. The short days limits seat time as well, once the sun starts going down it cools off in a hurry.

We're due for a "normal winter" IE - Cold in January and February, and consistent warm days by mid/late March. Last year we had snow flurries in early May :bs:
but SEASON CHANGE

:triggered:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Aside from being 130 miles away from the end of the first stage of break-in...in January. I tidied the tail on her today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Also. Solder impregnated shrink wrap is life changing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0EZBYQ/re ... mCbXXFYR8N
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:44 pm Also. Solder impregnated shrink wrap is life changing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0EZBYQ/re ... mCbXXFYR8N
Yeah, I bought that pack in August and it is :mindblown:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:42 pm Aside from being 130 miles away from the end of the first stage of break-in...in January. I tidied the tail on her today.

lol, I'm always amazed that the OEMs do some interesting things to make dot regs, but that is the worst example i've seen of a lazy tail design.
Luckly, they also seem to make it super easy to "fix"
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:30 am
4zilch wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:42 pm Aside from being 130 miles away from the end of the first stage of break-in...in January. I tidied the tail on her today.

lol, I'm always amazed that the OEMs do some interesting things to make dot regs, but that is the worst example i've seen of a lazy tail design.
Most of the Euro OEM tails are designed exactly like this one. The Triumph, Duc, KTM OE tails were all the same design aside from how they physically attach to the bike. Part of it is that they're trying to make it an actual fender and another part is complying to whatever Euro and US DOT rules that apply.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:53 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:30 am

Most of the Euro OEM tails are designed exactly like this one. The Triumph, Duc, KTM OE tails were all the same design aside from how they physically attach to the bike. Part of it is that they're trying to make it an actual fender and another part is complying to whatever Euro and US DOT rules that apply.
Yep, here's my Ducati when it was brand new before the swap:

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

More OE tails:

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:49 am More OE tails:

the multi is the only one the looks like it actually belongs on the bike
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:55 am
4zilch wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:49 am More OE tails:

the multi is the only one the looks like it actually belongs on the bike
Agreed. As I like at it again, it's not completely awful. Though I did replace it as well as the fender that rides at the trailing edge of the tire.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Meh. It’s cold as balls. Finally got around to putting antifreeze in the motard, “just in case”. Battery tenders on the other two.

Bilstein says March now for the FiST shocks. I’m not holding my breath.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Will probably pick up a set of forged :ramz: for the Aprilia and keep street tires on the red rims and slicks on the gold. More than likely I’ll go with OE gold. O.Z. or Carrozzerias are tempting, but their lead times aren’t. Also they’re another $600+ which is enough to cover a set of rotors to making swapping back and forth super easy.

Pic of OE gold on a ‘16 Tuono for reference.

Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

:doit:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:05 am Will probably pick up a set of forged :ramz: for the Aprilia and keep street tires on the red rims and slicks on the gold. More than likely I’ll go with OE gold. O.Z. or Carrozzerias are tempting, but their lead times aren’t. Also they’re another $600+ which is enough to cover a set of rotors to making swapping back and forth super easy.

Pic of OE gold on a ‘16 Tuono for reference.

Ohhh daddy
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Upgraded the quickjack to accommodate 2 wheels Image

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:28 pm Upgraded the quickjack to accommodate 2 wheels Image

Thats so baller
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:28 pm Upgraded the quickjack to accommodate 2 wheels Image

Awesome. I'm going to have to steal this mod, I have been delaying a MC lift purchase due to space.