JP’s Family Truckster

Strut your greasy stuff!
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Hitch 100%

Cute Utes are too tall imo for the roof bike rack to be worth it.

Edit:. Read your entire post and now I'm leaning go fucking cuck your bike to FB marketplace
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:22 am Hitch 100%

Cute Utes are too tall imo for the roof bike rack to be worth it.

Edit:. Read your entire post and now I'm leaning go fucking cuck your bike to FB marketplace
And put that cash straight to the diaper fund 🥰
Another thing that would have been easier in the Rav. They come with cross bars and a hitch.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

I don't personally like mounting bikes up on the roof unless it's for a very short drive. The leverage of left to right to left movement on the rack and thus the bike is pretty severe and twice I had the clamp on the front thru-axle loosen up slightly before reaching the trailhead, even over just some short 30-45 minute drives. And I have a not-cheap Kuat rack mount. Hitch all the way, it seems way more stable.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Strap-on hatch mount?

This was $59 and you can still open the hatch with it installed. Image
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:04 am Strap-on hatch mount?

This was $59 and you can still open the hatch with it installed. Image
Yeah I have a Thule one but it’s too heavy for the power hatch to open. So it’s retarded. I could get a lighter weight one I guess.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:34 am Bike rack. Hitch or roof?

Has no roof rails. Roof would require either installing roof rails (relatively easy ish but expensive af) which gives fixed cross bar locations. Or installing clip on rack feet. I’d probably do the clip on in that case. Bonus is the ability to easily add a roof box if we decide to have another munchkin. I can reach it but I’d probably need to stand on the door opening to get the bike. Lisa probably can’t reach it.

Has no hitch. Hitch rack would require installing a hitch which means cutting the under body panels. May or may not have a problem with the kick to open tailgate sensor. Forums are not clear on this. Hitch rack may interfere with the dogs ability to access the hatch. Hitch rack may or may not just live on the car. Adds a foot, would make parking a pain in the dick. They’d all interfere with the hatch door. More of a pain to install / remove since I’d have to lug it into the basement. CRV hybrid has no towing allowance, some forum concern that warranty repairs could get messy if they see a hitch.

I think I’m leaning towards hitch.
Hmmm... major pros and cons. I was firmly in the hitch rack camp, it is great on the Corvette and BMW where you can still access the hatch/trunk. I will admit that on the Jeep it's a bit of a pain in the ass because you can't open the back at all with the rack on, the :225: hits it.

Hitch racks are way easier to install/uninstall :doe: and far more efficient.

If you haven't had a roof rack, note that it will dramatically reduce your fuel efficiency. I had one on my Civic... it looked dope, but with two bikes on top, my highway mileage went from 38 MPG to 17 MPG. :disgust:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:03 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:34 am Bike rack. Hitch or roof?

Has no roof rails. Roof would require either installing roof rails (relatively easy ish but expensive af) which gives fixed cross bar locations. Or installing clip on rack feet. I’d probably do the clip on in that case. Bonus is the ability to easily add a roof box if we decide to have another munchkin. I can reach it but I’d probably need to stand on the door opening to get the bike. Lisa probably can’t reach it.

Has no hitch. Hitch rack would require installing a hitch which means cutting the under body panels. May or may not have a problem with the kick to open tailgate sensor. Forums are not clear on this. Hitch rack may interfere with the dogs ability to access the hatch. Hitch rack may or may not just live on the car. Adds a foot, would make parking a pain in the dick. They’d all interfere with the hatch door. More of a pain to install / remove since I’d have to lug it into the basement. CRV hybrid has no towing allowance, some forum concern that warranty repairs could get messy if they see a hitch.

I think I’m leaning towards hitch.
Hmmm... major pros and cons. I was firmly in the hitch rack camp, it is great on the Corvette and BMW where you can still access the hatch/trunk. I will admit that on the Jeep it's a bit of a pain in the ass because you can't open the back at all with the rack on, the :225: hits it.

If you haven't had a roof rack, note that it will dramatically reduce your fuel efficiency. I had one on my Civic... it looked dope, but with two bikes on top, my highway mileage went from 38 MPG to 17 MPG. :disgust:
There's lots of hitch racks that can fold down if you need to open a hatch or tailgate now. Sure you have to take the bikes off most of them but it's an improvement either way.
troyguitar

We used this to bring the bikes from NY to FL. It's pretty small/light and quick to install.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TRTS0 ... UTF8&psc=1
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:29 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:03 pm

There's lots of hitch racks that can fold down if you need to open a hatch or tailgate now. Sure you have to take the bikes off most of them but it's an improvement either way.
Yeah, I need to just pony up some fat stacks and get a nice rack... :disgust:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:29 pm There's lots of hitch racks that can fold down if you need to open a hatch or tailgate now. Sure you have to take the bikes off most of them but it's an improvement either way.
Or be like me and start your rides from home. :iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:00 pm
D Griff wrote:
Or be like me and start your rides from home. :iono:
I mostly do, but there is a big world out there with a lot of cool places to ride.
Johnny_P

Almost done with the first tank of gas. It’s about 450 miles or so. Computer is indicating 38.1 MPG which is right on what it should be doing.

But that’s entirely because of highway trips (highway speeds here are 45-65 ish MPH due to congestion and bad design). In town for our short typical inner city trips it’s indicating about 20 MPG which is pathetic. Likely should have just bought the regular gas motor and saved a few grand.

I got a carvana quote on it for kicks. $24k. So we are $10k thrown away immediately even in this market. Oh well.

Seats are comfy and although they’re leather, the combination of perforations and light color mean I’m not roasting in them. Rear doors open so far that it’s stupid easy to deal with hucking in a wiggling toddler.

Suspension does soak everything up. Some strange secondary motions from it, like the dampers are too soft. Zero bump steer. It leans hard in turns but sticks decently well.

Power is fine. Nothing exciting but it’s quick enough. A bit wheezy on the highway. Linear throttle. Brakes feel ok but in a panic stop it gets super sloppy all around.

Visibility is good in general. I wish the side mirrors were larger.

Blind spot monitors work very well and aren’t obtrusive. Lane keep is not useful but turns off and stays off. Emergency braking doesn’t seem overactive. So the driver assist stuff is generally ok.

Radio sound quality is acceptable. Radio continues to be hard to use. Car Play is almost unusable because I can’t turn the volume down far enough, it’s always screaming at me. So we are back to iPhone in a cup holder. Fucking useless tech in this car.

I gotta get a new rear seat protector. The one I have the buckle snapped on one side. Annoying. Any suggestions there? Need something with seat belt cutouts.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

So does it still vibrate or whatever ?
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:09 pm So does it still vibrate or whatever ?
Yes. 65-70 mph range it vibrates. Probably have to deal with that after our NY trip.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:17 am Almost done with the first tank of gas. It’s about 450 miles or so. Computer is indicating 38.1 MPG which is right on what it should be doing.

But that’s entirely because of highway trips (highway speeds here are 45-65 ish MPH due to congestion and bad design). In town for our short typical inner city trips it’s indicating about 20 MPG which is pathetic. Likely should have just bought the regular gas motor and saved a few grand.

I got a carvana quote on it for kicks. $24k. So we are $10k thrown away immediately even in this market. Oh well.

Seats are comfy and although they’re leather, the combination of perforations and light color mean I’m not roasting in them. Rear doors open so far that it’s stupid easy to deal with hucking in a wiggling toddler.

Suspension does soak everything up. Some strange secondary motions from it, like the dampers are too soft. Zero bump steer. It leans hard in turns but sticks decently well.

Power is fine. Nothing exciting but it’s quick enough. A bit wheezy on the highway. Linear throttle. Brakes feel ok but in a panic stop it gets super sloppy all around.

Visibility is good in general. I wish the side mirrors were larger.

Blind spot monitors work very well and aren’t obtrusive. Lane keep is not useful but turns off and stays off. Emergency braking doesn’t seem overactive. So the driver assist stuff is generally ok.

Radio sound quality is acceptable. Radio continues to be hard to use. Car Play is almost unusable because I can’t turn the volume down far enough, it’s always screaming at me. So we are back to iPhone in a cup holder. Fucking useless tech in this car.

I gotta get a new rear seat protector. The one I have the buckle snapped on one side. Annoying. Any suggestions there? Need something with seat belt cutouts.
5/7 Family Truckster review, would read again. I am not, however, sprinting to my nearest Honda dealer.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

Not pleased with the rear seat protectors available on the market so we are just going to keep an eye out for a nice blanket to use on the seat bottom. Just to keep the dog nails from destroying the seat. The backs are pleather so they should stand up to any cheerio attacks.

Still haven’t exactly figured out the bike rack situation.

Took our first road trip in it last Friday. Went to the beach with baby, my brother and his wife. 5 of us in the car and had plenty of room for everyone. Car rode great, was easy to drive for the distance, and got about 38 mpg.

Figured out the Apple car play volume problem. We had to turn all the voice prompts on each app in the phone to minimum, and put the car play volume in the car to bare minimum, and now it’s at least talking at a normal voice level. So that works ish.

The driving aid stuff… radar cruise is great. Works awesome. Lane keep is awful and I turned it off. It ping pongs in the lane, tugs the wheel, and then yells at you that you aren’t driving it. The Hyundai system was far superior, it kept the car dead center and would go about 30 seconds before it pinged a simple message on the dash.

I need to find a way to silence this god awful EV noise maker speaker. It’s so loud. I can hear the car coming a block away.
troyguitar

Sounds like you need an exhaust to drown out the speaker systems.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:02 pm Sounds like you need an exhaust to drown out the speaker systems.
:mahman:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I wonder what a local upholstery shop could do about a back seat protector?
troyguitar

Do any brotherly lovers install whistle tips?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

We use a trio of these in the Atlas. They seem to work okay. :iono:

https://www.amazon.com/Diono-Ultra-Full ... 5BM0&psc=1
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:35 pm We use a trio of these in the Atlas. They seem to work okay. :iono:

https://www.amazon.com/Diono-Ultra-Full ... 5BM0&psc=1
Yeah that could work but I think just a towel or blanket would do it and be easier to deal with overall.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:02 pm Sounds like you need an exhaust to drown out the speaker systems.
When the engine is on the car is quieter than when its in EV mode. Like, a lot quieter.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:51 pm Do any brotherly lovers install whistle tips?
It's like an alarm clock!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Unplugging the noise maker throws a code. I wonder if swapping it for one from an earlier accord would work. They were a lot quieter.

It’s inside the wheel well kinda. And has a tube going to underneath the car. I guess I could fill the tube with foam or something.