JP’s Family Truckster

Strut your greasy stuff!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:43 pm Unplugging the noise maker throws a code. I wonder if swapping it for one from an earlier accord would work. They were a lot quieter.

It’s inside the wheel well kinda. And has a tube going to underneath the car. I guess I could fill the tube with foam or something.
How big is the tube? Is it like the noise pipe from the Mk5 and 1st year Mk6 :gti: ? Maybe stuff it with a rag or something and see if that quiets things down :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

wap wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:26 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:43 pm Unplugging the noise maker throws a code. I wonder if swapping it for one from an earlier accord would work. They were a lot quieter.

It’s inside the wheel well kinda. And has a tube going to underneath the car. I guess I could fill the tube with foam or something.
How big is the tube? Is it like the noise pipe from the Mk5 and 1st year Mk6 :gti: ? Maybe stuff it with a rag or something and see if that quiets things down :iono:
I might give that a try.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Put an external speaker on that plays ice cream truck music, and take money from kids to pay for gas.
wap

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:26 pm Put an external speaker on that plays ice cream truck music, and take money from kids to pay for gas.
:notbad:
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:26 pm Put an external speaker on that plays ice cream truck music, and take money from kids to pay for gas.
Amaze
Johnny_P

That’s a weeks worth of crap for 2 adults, one toddler, and a dog underneath the cargo cover. Our enormous pack and play miraculously just fit between the seats on the floor, making a nice dog perch.

39 MPG highway from Philly to the Catskills. Very comfortable long distance. Seats never gave either of us any issue. Nice and quiet. Lots of storage for random items up front. Radar cruise is great. It’s a road trip king.

Stereo is alright and better than the Cmax.

Apple car play has a weird glitch where the graphics get wonked out and I have a to exit and go back in to refresh it. So that’s not working right.

The driveway to this place is like a 20% gravel grade. Scrambled up it no issue.

It earned some points back.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

That looks incredibly space efficient.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

CRVs are biiiiig inside. Honda has been really good with packaging stuff efficiently lately.

I'd like to think it's the ghost of the Honda Element inspiring them with each new model.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Nice monogrammed beach bag.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Glad to hear the car worked out well for its intended purpose. It's not an exciting thing, but it would be a real bummer if it sucked at its one job... it is a big/expensive purchase after all.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:35 pm That looks incredibly space efficient.
Honda's always manage to hide transmission tunnels in the rear. Ive noticed it in a couple civic rentals and ubers ive been in. Also my cousins MDX, same story.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:01 pm Glad to hear the car worked out well for its intended purpose. It's not an exciting thing, but it would be a real bummer if it sucked at its one job... it is a big/expensive purchase after all.
very much :dat:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:34 am Nice monogrammed beach bag.
🤌
Johnny_P

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:26 pm Image
That looks awesome, man. Enjoy the time away from the :bs:
Johnny_P

Hatch is perfect height and totally flat to use as a picnic bench. Tall enough back there that I can sit in it too!
Johnny_P

Trip is over.

Current mileage: 1,450
Current lifetime MPG: 39.3 mpg
Problems: Vibration at 65 MPH, Apple Car Play graphics glitch, kick to open tailgate stopped working.
Out of pocket expenses: none

Other musings:
Sport mode is moderately amusing. The throttle gets more sensitive, it keeps the battery at a higher state of charge, and the steering tightens up.
The space efficiency of this is mind blowing. It swallows so much stuff.
Seats are nearly as good as Volvo ones. Zero complaints on the 3.5 hr drive home.
Gray interior is awesome. Seats stay noticeably cooler when parked in the sun. I wish more of the interior panels were gray. But the windows are all factory tinted pretty dark which also helps. The AC doesn't have any problem turning it into a pleasant place to be, even though the AC isn't anywhere near as strong as the one in the Rav4 we test drove.
The bumpers are designed to be bumped. They're all unpainted black plastic where another car will hit them. EXCELLENT!
It seems to do fine on gravel roads. Ground clearance is nice for rolling over water bars.
It'll go nearly 500 miles on a tank of 87 octane.

Could use a small subwoofer. I wouldn't want to sacrifice much trunk space. Maybe an under seat one if that's a thing that could be added relatively easily.

There's a lot of sway in turns. I'd like a thicker roll bar in the back. I don't know if that's a thing.

Still need floor mats and I'd like to put a hitch on it. The kick to open tail gate is already broken so since that doesn't work anyway who cares if the hitch interferes with its operation.

So yeah. Road trip king. Comfy for everyone and great use of space. Outdated tech and stupid looks. If they update it with new tech this year I will try to see if it's backwards compatible and I'd replace it if that's the case.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Seems like it turned out to be pretty ideal for your needs, and should make a great wife vehicle if you ever go back to two cars. :notbad: at all.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:52 am Seems like it turned out to be pretty ideal for your needs, and should make a great wife vehicle if you ever go back to two cars. :notbad: at all.
:dat:

I feel like this started off pretty depressing and has gotten a lot better. At least you don't have to drive this bad boy daily and it serves well for family trips and whatnot.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:07 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:52 am Seems like it turned out to be pretty ideal for your needs, and should make a great wife vehicle if you ever go back to two cars. :notbad: at all.

I feel like this started off pretty depressing and has gotten a lot better. At least you don't have to drive this bad boy daily and it serves well for family trips and whatnot.
Yeah I mean it’s a family hauler with almost no immediate redeeming qualities and no cool factor. But it’s good at its job of being a tinier minivan in disguise.

I will say initial quality is pretty bad given the pedestal that people put Honda on. Fit and finish is also poor. I need to schedule a shop visit for it and I have a small list of stuff that is broken.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:18 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:07 pm

Yeah I mean it’s a family hauler with almost no immediate redeeming qualities and no cool factor. But it’s good at its job of being a tinier minivan in disguise.

I will say initial quality is pretty bad given the pedestal that people put Honda on. Fit and finish is also poor. I need to schedule a shop visit for it and I have a small list of stuff that is broken.
My Subaru has no immediate redeeming qualities and zero cool factor, but I've managed to :aintcare: and like it for what it is. That's adulting.

And yea, I've never understood the Honda quality pedestal because I've never gotten in a new one and been impressed. They should last forever (statistically), but that's about it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:57 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:18 pm

My Subaru has no immediate redeeming qualities and zero cool factor, but I've managed to :aintcare: and like it for what it is. That's adulting.

And yea, I've never understood the Honda quality pedestal because I've never gotten in a new one and been impressed. They should last forever (statistically), but that's about it.
Speaking of, I had a long ride in my SIL's Prius recently and man, what a pile that thing is. Cheap, hard plastics everywhere inside. Shitty fabrics. Uncomfortable back seat, rattles and squeaks over minor bumps, no vents in the rear, and the thing is only 5 years old. My Mk6 rattled MUCH less than this thing. I just don't get the appeal, other than dem EMM PEE GEEs. :disgust: :nope:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:57 pm

Speaking of, I had a long ride in my SIL's Prius recently and man, what a pile that thing is. Cheap, hard plastics everywhere inside. Shitty fabrics. Uncomfortable back seat, rattles and squeaks over minor bumps, no vents in the rear, and the thing is only 5 years old. My Mk6 rattled MUCH less than this thing. I just don't get the appeal, other than dem EMM PEE GEEs. :disgust: :nope:
It'll run forever and get good MPGz while doing it. That's about it.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:16 pm
wap wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:06 pm
:disgust:
No thanks. It was like riding in a loud, rattling, noisy, dollar store plastic crate. Forgot to mention that the handling was abysmal and it had a headlight out. My bro also told me that it hasn't been completely reliable, either, though I can't remember what problems he told me they've had. It's got less range than our H , and though it'll go farther on a gallon of gas, the H is a FAR nicer space to be in and will also likely run forever while getting over 35 mpg on the highway. The Prius was just a dreary, kill-me-now experience, and long life span and being good on gas is just not worth it to me.
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:44 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:16 pm
:disgust:
No thanks. It was like riding in a loud, rattling, noisy, dollar store plastic crate. Forgot to mention that the handling was abysmal and it had a headlight out. My bro also told me that it hasn't been completely reliable, either, though I can't remember what problems he told me they've had. It's got less range than our H , and though it'll go farther on a gallon of gas, the H is a FAR nicer space to be in and will also likely run forever while getting over 35 mpg on the highway. The Prius was just a dreary, kill-me-now experience, and long life span and being good on gas is just not worth it to me.
Yeah the prior gen Priuses were tin cans with cheap interiors and bad suspensions. Current ones are pretty decent though.

I have immense respect for the Prius as an engineering achievement. It gets double the fuel economy of your car while hauling nearly as much crap as 1st gen CUVs. If they added a bit more power to it, I'd consider one. I can't deal with over 10 seconds to 60 though, they're just too slow.

It's just a different target customer. Like us. When we were shopping vehicles, we omitted anything that wasn't a hybrid because we both wanted to limit our dependency on fossil fuels to some extent. Fossil fuels were my life for 11 years (well, they still are sadly), and knowing what I know... to hell with that industry and the people in it. If I had a place to charge, I'd have bought an EV without thinking twice about it.