Strut your greasy stuff!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:29 pm
wap wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:44 pm

:disgust:
No thanks. It was like riding in a loud, rattling, noisy, dollar store plastic crate. Forgot to mention that the handling was abysmal and it had a headlight out. My bro also told me that it hasn't been completely reliable, either, though I can't remember what problems he told me they've had. It's got less range than our H , and though it'll go farther on a gallon of gas, the H is a FAR nicer space to be in and will also likely run forever while getting over 35 mpg on the highway. The Prius was just a dreary, kill-me-now experience, and long life span and being good on gas is just not worth it to me.
Yeah the prior gen Priuses were tin cans with cheap interiors and bad suspensions. Current ones are pretty decent though.

I have immense respect for the Prius as an engineering achievement. It gets double the fuel economy of your car while hauling nearly as much crap as 1st gen CUVs. If they added a bit more power to it, I'd consider one. I can't deal with over 10 seconds to 60 though, they're just too slow.

It's just a different target customer. Like us. When we were shopping vehicles, we omitted anything that wasn't a hybrid because we both wanted to limit our dependency on fossil fuels to some extent. Fossil fuels were my life for 11 years (well, they still are sadly), and knowing what I know... to hell with that industry and the people in it. If I had a place to charge, I'd have bought an EV without thinking twice about it.
:word:
But, are you sure they get 70 mpg highway?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

wap wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:29 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:29 pm

Yeah the prior gen Priuses were tin cans with cheap interiors and bad suspensions. Current ones are pretty decent though.

I have immense respect for the Prius as an engineering achievement. It gets double the fuel economy of your car while hauling nearly as much crap as 1st gen CUVs. If they added a bit more power to it, I'd consider one. I can't deal with over 10 seconds to 60 though, they're just too slow.

It's just a different target customer. Like us. When we were shopping vehicles, we omitted anything that wasn't a hybrid because we both wanted to limit our dependency on fossil fuels to some extent. Fossil fuels were my life for 11 years (well, they still are sadly), and knowing what I know... to hell with that industry and the people in it. If I had a place to charge, I'd have bought an EV without thinking twice about it.
:word:
But, are you sure they get 70 mpg highway?
Ah, no, I looked at the combined cycle.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Yeah I don't want a Prius, but when we rented one on Turo in Hawaii, I honestly found it to be the most impressive vehicle I've been in in a long time.

I mean, it yielded almost 70 MPG with zero effort, it was very quiet and comfy despite being beat to hell as a Turo car, it has amazing visibility and a shit ton of space but is still pretty compact to drive.

It's not luxurious or sporty, but if you consider the number one goal of a car is to comfortably and efficiently move people and things around, it is actually the best car period. It best meets the needs of like 75% of car buyers (basically everyone outside of enthusiasts, people who tow shit, or people with more than two kids) and they run forever with almost no attention or maintenance.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:Yeah I don't want a Prius, but when we rented one on Turo in Hawaii, I honestly found it to be the most impressive vehicle I've been in in a long time.

I mean, it yielded almost 70 MPG with zero effort, it was very quiet and comfy despite being beat to hell as a Turo car, it has amazing visibility and a shit ton of space but is still pretty compact to drive.

It's not luxurious or sporty, but if you consider the number one goal of a car is to comfortably and efficiently move people and things around, it is actually the best car period. It best meets the needs of like 75% of car buyers (basically everyone outside of enthusiasts, people who tow shit, or people with more than two kids) and they run forever with almost no attention or maintenance.
If I had to buy a car now, there's a solid chance it would be an origami prius. Maybe the plug-in, but probably just a two eco trim with the smaller :ramz: and whatnot. I assume the plug-in is 50% more money used right now.
Johnny_P

Did we make it a month? I think it’s been a month.

Random street damage. No note of course.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

So much brotherly :wub:

Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:51 pm So much brotherly :wub:

The shitbox Cmax didn’t get hit. Yet this one does. Serves me right for buying a new car while living in this dump.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Crap, they missed the unpainted portions entirely. Fuckers.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:58 pm Crap, they missed the unpainted portions entirely. Fuckers.
It's :impressive: really.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:48 pm Did we make it a month? I think it’s been a month.

:rage:
Sorry, mang. :(
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:24 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:48 pm Did we make it a month? I think it’s been a month.

Looks mostly like paint transfer, might actually mostly buff out.

Still, sucks.
Nope it shaved the plastic off in the corner
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:18 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:24 pm

Looks mostly like paint transfer, might actually mostly buff out.

Still, sucks.
The fact that the CMax went unscathed...........man that burns.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:32 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:18 pm

I’m trying not to get too worked up about it. We bought this car with intent on keeping it till it dies. So meh?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:37 pm

I’m trying not to get too worked up about it. We bought this car with intent on keeping it till it dies. So meh?
I definitely see the point on trying not to :rage: I went rage when a delivery moped snapped the painted piece off my side mirror when the Clio was only 1.5 months old. Clipped it back on the spot, but still :rage: and also expecting some scars as well. I witnessed one of those bikes denting a bumper while sitting on a light, and the other delivery breh was like ‘’let’s go, I don’t think the owner will notice’’
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

These people seems to either not care (mostly the case), or they seem to don’t want you to have a new car. :disgust:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:55 am

These people seems to either not care (mostly the case), or they seem to don’t want you to have a new car. :disgust:
Probably :notwrong: but it might also be a case of big cars in small roadways.
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:55 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:55 am

Probably :notwrong: but it might also be a case of big cars in small roadways.
Yeah it’s wider than the Cmax was. On my street that will make a difference. There are about 3 other CRVs normally parked on my street. They all have similar damage.

It’s from people trying to pull into a parallel spot. Because the street is too narrow to back in, most cars when they swing out to park will have to go over the curb. So they duck in to squeeze over and not hit the curb when parking. Sometimes they sideswipe the one they’d park in front of.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:37 pm

Good on you trying not to :rage:

Family truckster/ :derp: wagon or not, this is pretty frustrating with a brand new car. :disappoint:
Johnny_P

Car update.

Has a nice pinstripe down the entire drivers side from some asshole scraping it with his side mirror. And the drivers side mirror has some good black paint transfer on it. Paint is def weak on this thing.

MPG continues to be a lie. Real MPGs are:
25 city
40 between 45-65 MPH
35 at 70-75 MPH
30 at 75-80

Literally no reason to buy the hybrid.

Seats and comfort continue to impress. Radar cruise works pretty well but sometimes randomly slams the brakes if a car is in the lane next to you. Trunk space is great as is rear seat space. Still enjoying memory seats.

Everything on the gauge screen disappears when in direct sunlight. The push button shifter is easy to forget what gear it’s in (you think it’s in drive but it’s in reverse type thing). Sunroof is rattling, let’s all act surprised. The loudspeaker that plays the off tune choir at full blast is annoying as shit and neighbors have commented that “your car makes some really weird loud noises.” It’s way louder than a gas motor vehicle.

Overall it’s a decent family hauler but no way in hell would I get one again. Especially not the hybrid because it sucks at the thing it was specifically designed for, and you then have to deal with the fucking racket any time you’re going less than 25 MPH.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I wonder what real world MPG a toyota hybrid would get at those speeds. it seems reasonable enough for the CR-V. That thing is pretty big and getting 30 at 75-80 is pretty good. I get about 30 average in a flipping mini which is about 1/2 the car size wise.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:28 pm I wonder what real world MPG a toyota hybrid would get at those speeds. it seems reasonable enough for the CR-V. That thing is pretty big and getting 30 at 75-80 is pretty good. I get about 30 average in a flipping mini which is about 1/2 the car size wise.
5-10 higher from what I can find. I got a cool 16 MPG taking the dog to day care today because the car lacks an electric heater. So MPG is going to tank in the winter.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:03 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:28 pm I wonder what real world MPG a toyota hybrid would get at those speeds. it seems reasonable enough for the CR-V. That thing is pretty big and getting 30 at 75-80 is pretty good. I get about 30 average in a flipping mini which is about 1/2 the car size wise.
5-10 higher from what I can find. I got a cool 16 MPG taking the dog to day care today because the car lacks an electric heater. So MPG is going to tank in the winter.
Very interesting. Yea I was doing some Yoda research and the Toyota hybrids have like the worlds most complicated HVAC systems with heat pumps etc. But they somehow made them reliable despite the immense complexity.

:themoreyouknow: I suppose.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:14 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:03 pm

Very interesting. Yea I was doing some Yoda research and the Toyota hybrids have like the worlds most complicated HVAC systems with heat pumps etc. But they somehow made them reliable despite the immense complexity.

There is nothing complex about a heat pump. It makes a lot of sense to utilize the HVAC system in that way to avoid using engine coolant to heat a core in the passenger compartment. Especially if the goal is to run the engine as little as possible anyway.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:52 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:14 pm

There is nothing complex about a heat pump. It makes a lot of sense to utilize the HVAC system in that way to avoid using engine coolant to heat a core in the passenger compartment. Especially if the goal is to run the engine as little as possible anyway.
Only problem with heat pumps is the efficiency below freezing is terrible. Not only that, but they don't work all that well below 20. I recall many mornings driving the Volt in the winter completely bundled up from head to toe because the heater just couldn't keep up when it's 10 degrees outside. Range was also terribad.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:18 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:52 pm

Only problem with heat pumps is the efficiency below freezing is terrible. Not only that, but they don't work all that well below 20. I recall many mornings driving the Volt in the winter completely bundled up from head to toe because the heater just couldn't keep up when it's 10 degrees outside. Range was also terribad.
Agreed they drop off a cliff below freezing at which point the gas motor needs to run to heat the compartment. But above that the heat pump will work fine, and save the need to run the motor. The CRV doesn’t have this. So on a 45 degree morning it has to run the motor nonstop to heat anything. Thus getting horrific gas mileage that is way worse than any of the gas motor CRVs.