JP’s Family Truckster

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

2021 CRV EX-L Hybrid

We looked at this and the Rav4. Tried to look at a Hyundai Tucson which probably would have won out but couldn’t find any available to even look at. Picked this over the Rav due to its rear seat space / legroom, more upright seating position and more comfortable seats, better visibility out the front, and generally better body control. Despite the Toyota looking way better, having the far superior driveline, and enormously better technology.

For those that don’t know or care, all CRV hybrids are AWD with 212 HP. Their hybrid system works differently than Toyota. There is a real rear driveshaft for one. For another, there isn’t a transmission. It is propelled purely on electric power below like 50 MPH with the gas motor acting as a generator. Above that a clutch can engage to directly drive the wheels with the engine. It’s equivalent to like a 6th gear overdrive.

Engine speed has nothing to do with vehicle acceleration. It’s weird. It’s also a lot slower off the line because the gas motor doesn’t contribute to acceleration from a takeoff.

Anyways. Currently sitting right at 250 miles. 37 MPG indicated by the gauges. Hopefully that continues. It seems to do better at the constant 30-50 MPH range than the city stop and go where economy takes a serious dive.

Pros:
Agreeable driving demeanor. You’re not going to slay back roads ever. But it doesn’t feel like it will topple.
Suspension soaks it all up. Rides great.
Extra firm brake pedal.
Huge back seat for the class let’s me have more leg room when the kiddo is behind me.
Rear doors open 90 degrees. Loading the CF in is a breeze.
Enormous hatch. For baby gear. Or dog.
Memory seats. Lisa is a lot shorter than me so this is really nice.
Awesome center console storage.

The bad:
The gauges are digital but the screen is mostly black / completely wasted space. They display a bunch of useless information and some complicated and frankly stupid screens. The Cmax was FAR superior here.
The radio is an embarrassment. It’s so slow to respond, needlessly complex, and the interface looks like it was designed in 2004. It’s horrible.
Push button shifter is a gimmick. It takes up the same amount of space as a regular shift handle.
The steering wheel has chiclet buttons on it that are beyond confusing to operate. It’s also gloss black trimmed. It’s awful.
It plays a strange pedestrian warning sound at low speed that is way too loud and obnoxious.
Lane departure warning is overactive and it’s way of telling you to do something is jackhammering the steering wheel back and forth.

Overall I would have a very hard time recommending this vehicle to anyone. It’s simply too dated and the electronics feel 2 generations behind anything else on the market. Honda needs to redesign it and get rid of the horrible electronics. It’s mostly agreeable to drive. I think it feels like a piece of shit. But it’s going to be her car, if and when we move I will end up with something different.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Not a truck. There's no place to put the manure bruh.
Johnny_P

First mods likely to be a hitch and a rear bike rack.

Also it has its first problem. At 250 miles. The car shakes at 65-70 MPH. A low rumble / vibration happens and worsens with engine load. Happens in EV or gas mode. So it’s either wheel balance or driveline balance is off. I’ll eventually make a dealer appointment for it. Yay. Great.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:24 am First mods likely to be a hitch and a rear bike rack.

Also it has its first problem. At 250 miles. The car shakes at 65-70 MPH. A low rumble / vibration happens and worsens with engine load. Happens in EV or gas mode. So it’s either wheel balance or driveline balance is off. I’ll eventually make a dealer appointment for it. Yay. Great.
You guys purchased this new?
Johnny_P

Acid666 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:23 am Not a truck. There's no place to put the manure bruh.
Dog rolled in and ate fresh mulch yesterday and I just put her in the back seat. Worked great. She still smells like poop.
Johnny_P

Acid666 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:26 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:24 am First mods likely to be a hitch and a rear bike rack.

Yes. Brand new. Because used was $2-5k more than new MSRP. Car dealers helping us out 🥰 I don’t know how the world would survive without them.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:27 am
Acid666 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:26 am

Yes. Brand new. Because used was $2-5k more than new MSRP. Car dealers helping us out 🥰 I don’t know how the world would survive without them.
That dealer needs to steal one of those “HEROES WORK HERE” banners from the nearest hospital or retirement home. They did more for your family during this covid market.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

razr390 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:58 am

That dealer needs to steal one of those “HEROES WORK HERE” banners from the nearest hospital or retirement home. They did more for your family during this covid market.
:amazing:
Johnny_P

The real hero was the tatted up vapester at the Langhorne dealer that attempted to sell me a $31k cloth seat car for $42k, telling me he was doing me a favor with that pricing.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:16 pm

The real hero was the tatted up vapester at the Langhorne dealer that attempted to sell me a $31k cloth seat car for $42k, telling me he was doing me a favor with that pricing.
What do you have against ink? :howdareu:
razr390

Well with that attitude none of their service advisors are going on vacation.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Acid666 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:23 am Not a truck. There's no place to put the manure bruh.
Pretty sure that gets dropped right into that rear facing seat
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:22 am Image

2021 CRV EX-L Hybrid

We looked at this and the Rav4. Tried to look at a Hyundai Tucson which probably would have won out but couldn’t find any available to even look at. Picked this over the Rav due to its rear seat space / legroom, more upright seating position and more comfortable seats, better visibility out the front, and generally better body control. Despite the Toyota looking way better, having the far superior driveline, and enormously better technology.

For those that don’t know or care, all CRV hybrids are AWD with 212 HP. Their hybrid system works differently than Toyota. There is a real rear driveshaft for one. For another, there isn’t a transmission. It is propelled purely on electric power below like 50 MPH with the gas motor acting as a generator. Above that a clutch can engage to directly drive the wheels with the engine. It’s equivalent to like a 6th gear overdrive.

Engine speed has nothing to do with vehicle acceleration. It’s weird. It’s also a lot slower off the line because the gas motor doesn’t contribute to acceleration from a takeoff.

Anyways. Currently sitting right at 250 miles. 37 MPG indicated by the gauges. Hopefully that continues. It seems to do better at the constant 30-50 MPH range than the city stop and go where economy takes a serious dive.

Pros:
Agreeable driving demeanor. You’re not going to slay back roads ever. But it doesn’t feel like it will topple.
Suspension soaks it all up. Rides great.
Extra firm brake pedal.
Huge back seat for the class let’s me have more leg room when the kiddo is behind me.
Rear doors open 90 degrees. Loading the CF in is a breeze.
Enormous hatch. For baby gear. Or dog.
Memory seats. Lisa is a lot shorter than me so this is really nice.
Awesome center console storage.

The bad:
The gauges are digital but the screen is mostly black / completely wasted space. They display a bunch of useless information and some complicated and frankly stupid screens. The Cmax was FAR superior here.
The radio is an embarrassment. It’s so slow to respond, needlessly complex, and the interface looks like it was designed in 2004. It’s horrible.
Push button shifter is a gimmick. It takes up the same amount of space as a regular shift handle.
The steering wheel has chiclet buttons on it that are beyond confusing to operate. It’s also gloss black trimmed. It’s awful.
It plays a strange pedestrian warning sound at low speed that is way too loud and obnoxious.
Lane departure warning is overactive and it’s way of telling you to do something is jackhammering the steering wheel back and forth.

Overall I would have a very hard time recommending this vehicle to anyone. It’s simply too dated and the electronics feel 2 generations behind anything else on the market. Honda needs to redesign it and get rid of the horrible electronics. It’s mostly agreeable to drive. I think it feels like a piece of shit. But it’s going to be her car, if and when we move I will end up with something different.
It looks ayaight. The seats look :notbad: big time. You chose the seats and agreeable driving demeanor over tech. You therefore have part of your scrotum remaining, albeit a very small part.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Also 5/7 review, would read again.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Apex wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:18 pm

What do you have against ink? :howdareu:
I'm not a big fan of neck/face/head tats in the workplace myself. I would say everything else is fair game.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:22 am . I think it feels like a piece of shit.
:lolgasm: :amazing:

I hope this works out to provide many years of trouble free and efficient motoring. Not much else to say here, it is a pretty heavy seppuku inducing vehicle.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:04 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:22 am . I think it feels like a piece of shit.

I hope this works out to provide many years of trouble free and efficient motoring. Not much else to say here, it is a pretty heavy seppuku inducing vehicle.
:dat: but Vanilla sometimes is needed.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Congrats mang! It may not be the best, but it's perfect for your lifestyle at this point. Also light colored seats are great for summer. I'd also assume the Tucson would be better. But at the end of the day it cuts you from the ground and takes you to Point a-b.

Also I definitely agree with dated tech, my 2004 TSX navigation fonts and design is strangely similar to my cousins 2011 MDX, 2009 Accord, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:36 pm
Pretty sure that gets dropped right into that rear facing seat
:iswydt: :lol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:04 pm

I can’t even play the hybrid game with it because the way it operates you have zero control over what the engine is doing.

Like you said hopefully it’s a trouble free ownership experience and dependable / comfy road tripper. I’ll probably try to convince Lisa to dump it in 3 years.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I don’t mind the color scheme, it makes the CRV look fairly dece/upscale. Not sure I'd choose it over the Rav4, mainly because Toyota has been in the hybrid game with proven reliability for the long haul. They are all appliances anyways :whocares:
max225

So did it get dropped off for service ?
razr390

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:04 pm So did it get dropped off for service ?
:hibachi:
Johnny_P

No man I don’t have time for that
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:34 pm
No man I don’t have time for that
There should be some sort of loaner system on a newer car. Drop off at like 7 am? My local Toyota dillerman is fairly decent. Way better than my bmw experiences of doom.