Cucktrek: Making Money Never Felt So Good

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

600 miles in on the thing, and I like it so much now that I feel obligated to share my thoughts. The path started with acceptance and quickly grew to strong like. It's clear that this was the perfect move for me/us, and it might be the first car we've had where :tits: and I are equally :fuckyeah: on it. :yeahok:

What is it?
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport
Crystal White Pearl

Options:
Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror
All interior liners/mats
MSRP: $28,636
OTD: $30,560

We paid MSRP because it was the last Sport in the state of Michigan and even down into northern Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. :dillerman: wouldn't budge, but the price was in budget, so fuck it. It's equipped pretty perfect for us without a sunroof (which gives me the headroom I need), and I love the exterior dimming mirror. I found one used Sport equipped like ours with 20k miles on it asking $30k, so given the current market, MSRP is ok with me.

Styling:
Yea, these things are everywhere. I've convinced myself that the Sport feels special with no chrome/silver on the car anywhere. The dark badges and wheels with dark accents around the car look pretty cool on white. The pearl white color has incredible depth and sparkle in the sun, not sure I've seen a pearl white look quite like it outside of luxury cars.

Interior:
It's the interior though that really sold it. Again, all chrome/silver accents on regular models are painted black/dark in the sport. There's a yellow/gold accent theme in the stitching around the interior that adds to a sporty feeling while looking premium. The seats are a vinyl that imitate wetsuit material and billed as water resistant. For all the beach and boat activities we do, it's pretty awesome getting in the car with a damp swimsuit on ZFG. The seats really do bead up moisture, so when we get home, we just wipe them down and they look great. Plus, the seats are really supportive and comfortable, and the same material is carried to the door panel arm rests and center armrests. The rear seat space is massive for a vehicle this size, I can sit behind myself no problem with the driver seat adjusted to how I like it. We've taken a number of people in the back now and they always comment on the roominess and "neat" seats and interior design. The cargo area is decently spacious for such a small car. It's a really comfortable place to be, AND the interior is unique to the Sport trim. One other item of note is the steering wheel. Perfect size, sporty feeling grip, really an outstanding helm.

Tech:
After sitting in a 21 Outback and realizing that the big screen replaces pretty much every control in the car, I was happy to see the Crosstrek is still "old school" There's physical button controls for the radio, HVAC, and heated seats, and the upper center screen is still present as a throw-back showing ext temp, HVAC setting, time, and FE info. I really REALLY like the small LCD screen separate from the radio. Combined with physical buttons, it makes the 6.5" radio screen very adequate since it doesn't have to waste screen real estate displaying other things. All vehicles are going to the center screen "hub" thing, so I'm glad to have this older thing, probably the last of its kind. The radio is really responsive, the speakers are decent enough for what we listen to, but certainly lacking. Maybe an upgrade will be in order eventually, but probably not.

The biggest surprise is that the car can drive itself. I knew it had lane keep assist, adaptive cruise, etc...but it'll legit drive itself hands off the wheel style (though it'll freak out about hands off the wheel if you go too long). We live where it's just all 2-lane roads, and the system is incredibly good/natural at navigating these roads. It's shocking. It gets tripped up with dotted center lines and right white lines that fade out, but even still I find it incredible how well the system works. Adaptive cruise is fantastic, even on these back roads where we can have a lot of tourists speeding up and slowing down randomly. Letting the car follow is much preferred to doing it with my feet all the time. I've been critical of these systems for ages, but this is legit a nice step. Even better, the car will remember your preferences for having features on and off. I HATE warnings like lane departure or collision, those I turned off when we picked up the car, and they've stayed off since.

Overall, it's pretty incredible the tech this thing packs for the size and price. Whoever planned this car out (the Sport) really understood the target market.

Drive:
Here's the most contentious...the fucker is actually quite a bit of fun to drive. Being a hatchback and not a dedicated "SUV" means that inside the roof is lower, and gives you more of a "sitting in rather than on" feeling, which really enhances the feeling of sportiness. The steering is really direct and precise, and it manages to handle corners incredibly flat and with a zest that I didn't expect. The ride is firm yet compliant, which makes it easy to take twistys much faster than you'd think. It's probably too firm for off-road applications, but we'll see on that. Given its ride height, I expected it to be way more floaty and wallowy than it is, it really feels like a sporty hatchback overall, and that's what I've come to love. I miss sporty compact hatches, and this scratches that itch better than I anticipated. I hate the tall crossover box feeling for driving, this thing is actually fun to throw around. The fact that it can still do pretty much anything we would have done with our JL yet is way more fun to drive makes it a winner for me.

The biggest thing though, is the engine. The 2.5 is really adequate. It's not "fast", but it sure feels quick. It's the base engine in vehicles that carry a lot more weight (Forester, Outback), and in the Crosstrek it's quite good. It accelerates up hills with authority, and it's eager to power out of corners. I've done some pretty enthusiastic driving on the curvy roads around our area, and I'm never left wanting for significantly more power, or incredibly a different transmission. Subaru has really nailed down the CVT. The simulated shifts are surprisingly effective and adding sportiness to the drive, and it somehow never feels lazy like CVTs of yore. Accelerate slowly and it just goes with no drama, but hammer it and it feels like a decent automatic. It's the powertrain that surprised me the most. I'd still prefer an "STI" version with a turbro and :manuel: but damn...this thing is really solidly OK.

Efficiency:
We drive 100% on 2-lane roads varying from stop and go to up to ~60mph. So far, it's indicating 30 MPG overall. We've gone 250 miles since the last full fill up, and the tank is half gone. We'll see how this develops over time, but so far it's :impressive: after years of vehicles that can't crack 20mpg no matter what. The CTruck can't get more than 400 miles range, 500 on the CTrek is really awesome. We're excited to do more trips with it, we're already planning a trip west for the fall.

Future:
I've ordered bars to mount the RTT on top so we can take it camping, and if the thing is still with us in a year or so, I'll swap the wheels to 15's and mount some more durable AT tires on it. The thing is capable of going pretty far off-road, but the tires will be lacking in durability being more road oriented on 17" wheels. It has a spare, but I don't want to depend on it if we head off the beaten path. I also think they look pretty cool:

TL;DR:
It manages to blend a sporty hatchback with ground clearance to do the outdoors stuff we like. It's pretty ideal for what we want. Fuck the haters, I like the thing and it's way better than a tall SUV thing.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Finally! :fuckyeah:

You’ve given yourself more hate on this purchase than the rest of the board; this sounds like it could be a fun little adventure mobile for you guys! In4moarpics
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:40 am Finally! :fuckyeah:

You’ve given yourself more hate on this purchase than the rest of the board; this sounds like it could be a fun little adventure mobile for you guys! In4moarpics
Oh, the haters will come. This ranks lower than a Prius for desirability here. But, it's proven to be a really great purchase in these early stages. The more I drive it, the more I like it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Dear god please don't mod it like in the 2nd pic... :disgust: These things are here like that ... pokey wheels and bunch of shit strapped to the roof... It will destroy the ride characteristics and mpgs that you listed as the two primary attributes for liking the car.

I'd love a pic of the interior if you have a chance, the seat material you mentioned sounds interesting.

What's the service interval on these nowadays ? 7500 miles?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:dat:

Fuck the h8ers, if they even exist. Glad you're enjoying the car. Seems perfect for you guys. :excite: about your trip out west. It'll be :muah: for that kind of adventure.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

I am still trying to find the "h8rs" no one has publicly hated on this car here. Other than the man from the desert making some comments about having a V8 in any vehicle that is worth a damn, but that was more of a troll than a serious comment :wtf:
max225

This is interesting for $250
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:01 pm Dear god please don't mod it like in the 2nd pic... :disgust: These things are here like that ... pokey wheels and bunch of shit strapped to the roof... It will destroy the ride characteristics and mpgs that you listed as the two primary attributes for liking the car.

I'd love a pic of the interior if you have a chance, the seat material you mentioned sounds interesting.

I'll need to decide on what the car does for us before modding it. The roof top tent will only be on it when we go camping, because yep...all that weight on the roof will suck for its handling characteristics. I don't get people that put all that shit up there and leave it there all the time. I've got the RTT rigged up to hang from the garage rafters so it's just a 5 minute job to drop it on the car. The tires...it'll depend on how far off the beaten path we want to take it. That's a functional benefit with the trade off of on-road performance. Apparently Falken makes a 17" AT3 tire that's still decent on road that can mount to the factory wheels to provide a bit more grip and durability off-road, but that's still not much sidewall. Might be a decent balance, I do not want to take these highway tires with short sidewall far off into the middle of nowhere, that's dangerous. The car's capable of it, but we'll see how we use it. I'm not doing a thing to it for at least a year. I may add a trailer hitch for a bike rack or to move the boat trailer around as needed. Maybe even a utility trailer so I don't need a pickup again? I'll probably end up with another :truk: :doe:

6k miles is the recommended service interval. I'm debating taking it to the dealer or not. It doesn't come with any free, so is having the maintenance on the Carfox worth the cost to maintain residual? :dillerman: claims the first service should be ~$60, oil change, tire rotation, "multi point inspection".
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:11 pm

If I was half my age, I'd have this now. But at this stage in my life, stock is fine. It growls a bit, good enough for me.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:05 pm

Fuck the h8ers, if they even exist. Glad you're enjoying the car. Seems perfect for you guys. :excite: about your trip out west. It'll be :muah: for that kind of adventure.
We may just go to Denver to visit Michele's cousin and do some camping in Colorado in the fall. The big trip will be in February when we leave for a few months. It will be a fantastic car for these sorts of things.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:17 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:01 pm Dear god please don't mod it like in the 2nd pic... :disgust: These things are here like that ... pokey wheels and bunch of shit strapped to the roof... It will destroy the ride characteristics and mpgs that you listed as the two primary attributes for liking the car.

I'll need to decide on what the car does for us before modding it. The roof top tent will only be on it when we go camping, because yep...all that weight on the roof will suck for its handling characteristics. I don't get people that put all that shit up there and leave it there all the time. I've got the RTT rigged up to hang from the garage rafters so it's just a 5 minute job to drop it on the car. The tires...it'll depend on how far off the beaten path we want to take it. That's a functional benefit with the trade off of on-road performance. Apparently Falken makes a 17" AT3 tire that's still decent on road that can mount to the factory wheels to provide a bit more grip and durability off-road, but that's still not much sidewall. Might be a decent balance, I do not want to take these highway tires with short sidewall far off into the middle of nowhere, that's dangerous. The car's capable of it, but we'll see how we use it. I'm not doing a thing to it for at least a year. I may add a trailer hitch for a bike rack or to move the boat trailer around as needed. Maybe even a utility trailer so I don't need a pickup again? I'll probably end up with another :truk: :doe:

6k miles is the recommended service interval. I'm debating taking it to the dealer or not. It doesn't come with any free, so is having the maintenance on the Carfox worth the cost to maintain residual? :dillerman: claims the first service should be ~$60, oil change, tire rotation, "multi point inspection".
$60 if they do it quickly seems like it is worth it, so that you don't have to mess with the car.

What tires does it come with stock? I thought they were slightly more uprated from the minivan tires. At least in my recollection on the prior gen. I think this thing can handle most soft roading you're willing to throw at it... anything more seems like more harm than good, the suspension on these as you pointed out while more durable than a regular Hatch, still doesn't like real off road beatings.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:19 pm

If I was half my age, I'd have this now. But at this stage in my life, stock is fine. It growls a bit, good enough for me.
:mahtroy:

Well I am excited to hear/find out updates from you. This thing was on my shortlist before I got the taco... but I wanted a :manuel: 2.5 er with el steeek too bad they do not exist.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

:disgust:

I have yet to hear any car that sounds good with a muffler delete.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:24 pm
wap wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:05 pm

We may just go to Denver to visit Michele's cousin and do some camping in Colorado in the fall. The big trip will be in February when we leave for a few months. It will be a fantastic car for these sorts of things.
:like:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Glad you're enjoying it, man! There really is a reason these are ubiquitous, they fit the needs of many very well, and I agree that they're less depressing than a regular CUV, and IMO, less depressing than any other Subie besides WRS, STI, or BRZ.

Not a bad car at all, and you're in good company. DFD 2021: Cuck Edition is definitely a thing.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I think most of us were just busting your balls :balls: Chris. Mostly because of your automotive pedigree. The jabs are actually complements when viewed from that perspective.

This is the right vehicle for you right now. You already had the "cool" rugged vehicles in the :jeep: 's .... (which is way more than most of us can say) and now you settled into something that checks more boxes for you and the missus. Nothing (much) wrong with that.

One of these might be in our future, the T-Reg is just too big for wife unit.

TL/DR
You're still a cuck, but your OUR Cuck
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:28 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:17 pm

$60 if they do it quickly seems like it is worth it, so that you don't have to mess with the car.

What tires does it come with stock? I thought they were slightly more uprated from the minivan tires. At least in my recollection on the prior gen. I think this thing can handle most soft roading you're willing to throw at it... anything more seems like more harm than good, the suspension on these as you pointed out while more durable than a regular Hatch, still doesn't like real off road beatings.
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp? ... lsrc=aw.ds

Straight minivan spec. They're quiet and handle well on the road, but I'm not sure how far off pavement I'd take these.

This is probably the best compromise. I'm just looking for more puncture resistance and more tread to handle sand and mud a bit better.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp? ... lsrc=aw.ds
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:19 pm

Well I am excited to hear/find out updates from you. This thing was on my shortlist before I got the taco... but I wanted a :manuel: 2.5 er with el steeek too bad they do not exist.
:manuel: would be cool, but the CVT just isn't as horrible as I thought it would be.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:31 pm

Unless they come from the factory straight piped (Abarth) they should like poop. That Crosstrek did sound pretty cool, but I think it would get old living with it
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:06 pm

Unless they come from the factory straight piped (Abarth) they should like poop. That Crosstrek did sound pretty cool, but I think it would get old living with it
Big time.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I thought it sounded pretty cool in that video, I would probably :doit: but not if it was a vehicle I was sharing with :tits: like in this case.

The CVT thing... it really depends manufacturer to manufacturer. Some of the Youtube auto people have continually said Subie does it best. The Nissan and Honda ones are pretty fucking painful to deal with.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:04 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:30 pm

:manuel: would be cool, but the CVT just isn't as horrible as I thought it would be.
I’m sure it’s better than my anemic 6sp in the taco. My #1 complaint is lack of power in this thing
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:07 pm I am still trying to find the "h8rs" no one has publicly hated on this car here. Other than the man from the desert making some comments about having a V8 in any vehicle that is worth a damn, but that was more of a troll than a serious comment :wtf:
If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I understand the utility of this thing and I am primarily ok with it because you can pawn it off on Infamous at some point. Until the fickle winds of womanhood blow again.
Also people who live in glass houses should not throw stones and there ain't nothing special going on in the Desert Garage ATM. I'm writing this move off to necessity. Further
I sayeth not.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:50 pm
I thought it sounded pretty cool in that video, I would probably :doit: but not if it was a vehicle I was sharing with :tits: like in this case.

The CVT thing... it really depends manufacturer to manufacturer. Some of the Youtube auto people have continually said Subie does it best. The Nissan and Honda ones are pretty fucking painful to deal with.
Every CVT I've ever driven before this is horrific. Nissan and Honda mostly, and I still have some PTSD from earlier Subaru units. But damn, they managed to figure it out in the newer stuff. In theory, a CVT is the perfect transmission, just needed some fine tuning to make it more livable.

It has paddle shifters, I still haven't tried them yet because they seem :butwhy: