BombSawce Elantra

Strut your greasy stuff!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Figured I’d stop jacking Detroit’s (now summer ‘21 :plac: ) thread and make one for the Elantra.

Financials first for Maximus:
Carmax gave me $30,200 for the Jeep.
Payoff amount that showed on my credit union app was $6,568.41. Because it didn’t give a date that that price was valid through, they have a policy where they hold $150 ($10/day for 15 days or $15/day for 10) to account for any additional interest that will be earned before the payoff happens since it was a holiday yesterday and bank holiday today. I looked at my last statement and last month I only paid a total of like $10 in interest, so I’ll get most, if not all, I’d that $150 refunded to me. Will follow up with them after I see the loan closed on my account.
So after the payoff + interest coverage they cut me a check for $23,481.59
Hyundai had the car listed at $12,980 and wouldn’t budge on the price. It was close enough to what I was looking to spend that I didn’t feel like playing the game is threatening to walk out on the deal and just paid the asking price. CA sale tax added $1012.54, DMV electronic registration transfer charge was $30, license fee was $72, registration $169, smog abatement $20. Total cost OTD $14,376.54. Net “gain” from the transaction $9,105.05 plus however much of that $150 I get back. :notbad: seeing my savings account padded by an extra five figures is :nice: plus I dropped my $204 monthly car payment. Insurance should be the same, but I’ll get a few quotes and see who can give me the best pricing on this to try to save a few extra bucks a month. Will report back on insuring this vs. insuring the Jeep.

Base model 2018 Elantra SE. One previous lease owner, (s)he turned it in in the beginning of June and the dealership was struggling to sell it due to it being a :manuel: , which is the only filter I applied when searching their inventory :lol: and cut the price way down. It’s in generally nice shape. There are some parking scuffs on the bumper and you can see where either the PO or someone else tapped the rear a little too hard and left an imprint of a license plate holder screw or something similar. I’ll post up a picture of that. I might grab a color match paint pen to clean up the rear a bit, but as long as I’m living in the city, it’s just gonna keep happening I’m sure. Other than that, there are some swirl marks in the paint and just some general gunk inside from someone else driving it for three years. After I touch up the few spots in the paint, I’ll probably take it to get detailed inside and out so that it feels more “new” to me. Dad has a guy that does great work for relatively inexpensive prices back home, so probably drop it off with him for a few hours the next time I go visit my parents. He has a good tint guy up there too, or used to, so if he’s around still I’ll get that done the same weekend.

Pretty stripped down, but I’m a simple guy and I like that. The only real complaint I have is no cruise control. Bluetooth would be nice, but plugging in to the auSB port is simple so :aintcare: sound quality off my phone is probably better this way for my music, and I pretty much never talk on the phone. I’m doing some Google-fu this morning and looks like I can add factory OEM cruise control for relatively cheap. Would become integrated into the steering wheel, which would also include the buttons for controlling the radio which would be nice instead of having to reach for the center stack. If it makes sense to bump the stock headunit up to the next level or whichever one got Bluetooth, I’ll consider doing that at the same time so that it’s all integrated.

Came with steelies and hub caps, so I might upgrade to real wheels. 15” is the current size. Would consider going 16”, but don’t think that’s needed. Thoughts?
SAWCE

Pics!

Little parking imprint and some of the paint scuffs:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So the 12980 was the reduced price because :manuel: that they then would not budge on?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I would consider looking for some upper line Hyundai real wheels on the cheap when the tires wear out.........but those covers are :notbad:. Cheap aftermarket wheels on an inexpensive care is :disgust: to me.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:30 am So the 12980 was the reduced price because :manuel: that they then would not budge on?
Yessir. Probably could have fought harder for a little bit off, but I doubt they had a whole lot of margin on something priced this cheap when I see others in this same year/miles combo listed for an average of $15k.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

With the way our current roads are becoming, it’s pointless to upsize wheels. Just take the caps off and ride around full terrorist style. :aintcare:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:32 am I would consider looking for some upper line Hyundai real wheels on the cheap when the tires wear out.........but those covers are :notbad:. Cheap aftermarket wheels on an inexpensive care is :disgust: to me.
That was my thought exactly. Just get some OEM alloy wheels from the next trim level or two up when the tires wear out. Inexpensive and should match the car nicely.
razr390

Also just keep an eye on the engine code/type and whatever recalls come with them. Hyundai/Kia had some class action lawsuits with their GDI engines (I believe in the generation prior to this one). My friend’s 2013 sonata engine blew up at like 40k miles and they’re replacing it for free.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
SAWCE

razr390 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:34 am With the way our current roads are becoming, it’s pointless to upsize wheels. Just take the caps off and ride around full terrorist style. :aintcare:
Yep. 15” is fine for me. I hit some pretty rough patches driving to work every day and going over shitty railroad tracks that they load our steel plates on and off of, so small is good.
SAWCE

razr390 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:35 am Also just keep an eye on the engine code/type and whatever recalls come with them. Hyundai/Kia had some class action lawsuits with their GDI engines (I believe in the generation prior to this one). My friend’s 2013 sonata engine blew up at like 40k miles and they’re replacing it for free.
Noted, thanks!
razr390

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:36 am
razr390 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:34 am With the way our current roads are becoming, it’s pointless to upsize wheels. Just take the caps off and ride around full terrorist style. :aintcare:
Yep. 15” is fine for me. I hit some pretty rough patches driving to work every day and going over shitty railroad tracks that they load our steel plates on and off of, so small is good.
Yep. I regret selling my 17” OEM’s that were just barely clearing the bigger brakes on the GTI. Had them as my winter wheels in VA and just rolled around in them NFG until I wanted to upgrade to some nice :mahtroy: :ramz: which I then sold and got my original OEM wheels that I sold when I first bought the car.

Now one of the barrels is bent on one of the wheels. Fucking :rage:
SAWCE

So it looks like this is all I need to add cruise control to her:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HYUNDAI-2016-2 ... 00fdd462cd

Need to do more reading to make sure, but if I can add that feature for $130 plus whatever time it takes me to install it, or the cost of install if it seems like something I don’t want to fuck with (electronics aren’t a strong suite of mine, but this looks plug and play with no splicing or anything) then that’s a no-brainer.
SAWCE

This style looks nice:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153693142335?h ... OSwjG5dr2H~

Will browse some forums and try to find a take off set from somebody who went aftermarket and try to get a full set for $500 or less.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:35 am
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:32 am I would consider looking for some upper line Hyundai real wheels on the cheap when the tires wear out.........but those covers are :notbad:. Cheap aftermarket wheels on an inexpensive care is :disgust: to me.
That was my thought exactly. Just get some OEM alloy wheels from the next trim level or two up when the tires wear out. Inexpensive and should match the car nicely.
Good call.
Hyundai makes some decent looking oem :ramz:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:55 am This style looks nice:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153693142335?h ... OSwjG5dr2H~

Will browse some forums and try to find a take off set from somebody who went aftermarket and try to get a full set for $500 or less.
Legit :notbad:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I'd get aftermarket alloys for cheap. Smaller/lighter than takeoff OEM stuff and you can probably use the tires that you already have on there.

I had no idea that there were still cars sold without cruise control. People who don't use cruise on the highway drive me nuts.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

This is why I like having a NFG daily in the chaos I call my hometown and no desire to upsize whatsoever.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I used to hate Hyundai with a passion but now I have a lot of respect with how they have improved from build quality and the like. The Elantra Sport is lowkey a korean GLI. Also the :manuel: is neat, I've driven a small hatch overseas from 2015, and that manual was actually :notbad:
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:23 am I'd get aftermarket alloys for cheap. Smaller/lighter than takeoff OEM stuff and you can probably use the tires that you already have on there.

I had no idea that there were still cars sold without cruise control. People who don't use cruise on the highway drive me nuts.
Same. I was shocked that this didn’t have it, and I hate people who don’t use it so that’ll be the first thing I do for sure.
SAWCE

I think my only other complaint while driving is how soft the clutch is compared to the Jeep and what I remember of the GTI. I’m sure I’ll get used to it, and it’s not something I’m going to just throw money at, but when/if I ever need to replace the clutch I’d likely throw something a little more aggressive in there.
razr390

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:19 pm I think my only other complaint while driving is how soft the clutch is compared to the Jeep and what I remember of the GTI. I’m sure I’ll get used to it, and it’s not something I’m going to just throw money at, but when/if I ever need to replace the clutch I’d likely throw something a little more aggressive in there.
Remember this is meant to be like a super commuter appliance car. It’s meant to be easy for anyone to drive first, not necessarily fun/aggressive. But yes see what options are out there
SAWCE

razr390 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:27 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:19 pm I think my only other complaint while driving is how soft the clutch is compared to the Jeep and what I remember of the GTI. I’m sure I’ll get used to it, and it’s not something I’m going to just throw money at, but when/if I ever need to replace the clutch I’d likely throw something a little more aggressive in there.
Remember this is meant to be like a super commuter appliance car. It’s meant to be easy for anyone to drive first, not necessarily fun/aggressive. But yes see what options are out there
Yeah I didn’t go into it expecting it to feel sporty at all, and like I said, I’m not gonna throw money at it just because.. but in the event that it does ever need to be replaced, I’ll do it with something a little heavier and grabby.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Still impressed with how much you got for the Jeep. That’s just nuts to me.

That said, keep the oem wheels/Steelies. I wouldn’t upsize anything… it’s not going to look “better” imo no matter what you do with it. And the smaller the wheels the better imo.

Clutch will feel soft that’s just the nature of a small engine/small clutch. I wouldn’t mess with anything.

Crutchfield is probably your best bet for aftermarket stereo stuff. I would also see if there is a way to keep it oem and perhaps swap headunits
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:25 pm Still impressed with how much you got for the Jeep. That’s just nuts to me.

That said, keep the oem wheels/Steelies. I wouldn’t upsize anything… it’s not going to look “better” imo no matter what you do with it. And the smaller the wheels the better imo.

Clutch will feel soft that’s just the nature of a small engine/small clutch. I wouldn’t mess with anything.

Crutchfield is probably your best bet for aftermarket stereo stuff. I would also see if there is a way to keep it oem and perhaps swap headunits
Headunit I’m fine with, I probably won’t fuck with Bluetooth at all, it’s just the cruise control I need to add.. which the part I linked should cover for me.

And good call on wheels and everything else. Like Desert said, I won’t touch them until at least when I’m due for tires, and even then I’ll only put 15” OEM alloy wheels on it and only if I can find a cheap take off set on a forum or something.
SAWCE

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:18 pm
:butwhy:

Find some OEM wheels on eBay and send it and forget it.
Because if/when the clutch ever needs to be replaced, I might as well put something in it that makes driving more enjoyable :iono: as stated, I’m not just ripping the clutch out tomorrow. It’s an idea for if the clutch ever goes. Maybe by then I’ll be used to how this one feels, but right now it’s just mush with now discernible grabbing or engagement point.