Soviet EV and taco chronicles + future ponderings about Fendie

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:30 pm
Diesel had so much promise, and was on the way to become a viable bridge to electrification. Then the dieselgate freakout happened, people got scared, the .gov had to prove they do something, and now diesels are dead. It's very sad because I believe there's a lot of opportunity left to be tapped, but the world has picked EV for better or worse, and there's no changing that now.

The silver lining is that advanced engine controls with turbo charging has proven to be a fantastic alternative for gas. I'd take a 2.0 in the JT over the 3.6 ANY DAY despite "lower HP" because the torque is there and great. The 2.7 4-banger in the Silverado is legit decent, so that's another good opportunity. The only redeeming quality of the Ranger is the engine. Turbocharging gas engines is really the last hurrah for gas ICE, and it's a good one. Problem is, these engines are more expensive to produce (a turbro 4 cyl has higher variable cost than a NA V6 or even V8), so the NA car engines stick around for profit in cost challenged vehicles.
I am :notsure: what happened exactly but the most reliable engines literally turned the MOST UNRELIABLE. In a matter of a few years. I know there has been a lot of gov reg on the matter. But it is just completely :fullretard:

Special oils, filters, piss, multiple cats, DPFS all kinds of shit was added and none of it is reliable. A shame but what can you do I suppose.
The engines themselves will still run forever, it's all the .gov required emissions BS that fails...and a lot of that stuff was rushed because regulations increased hot and heavy on them. Hence the reliability issues. Major sham, the .gov literally ruined these. Which I think was intentional to push people into EVs.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:05 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:59 pm

I am :notsure: what happened exactly but the most reliable engines literally turned the MOST UNRELIABLE. In a matter of a few years. I know there has been a lot of gov reg on the matter. But it is just completely :fullretard:

Special oils, filters, piss, multiple cats, DPFS all kinds of shit was added and none of it is reliable. A shame but what can you do I suppose.
The engines themselves will still run forever, it's all the .gov required emissions BS that fails...and a lot of that stuff was rushed because regulations increased hot and heavy on them. Hence the reliability issues. Major sham, the .gov literally ruined these. Which I think was intentional to push people into EVs.
Oems should not have released unproven crap. I think they share a good part of the blame. Sure a lot of money was invested and launches would have been delayed. But literally locking up an entire motor due to shit oil spec and Egr issues before 100k miles is inexcusable imo.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:05 pm
Oems should not have released unproven crap. I think they share a good part of the blame. Sure a lot of money was invested and launches would have been delayed. But literally locking up an entire motor due to shit oil spec and Egr issues before 100k miles is inexcusable imo.
OEMs have different standards and timelines for durability and validation. There's a reason I don't recommend any of my family buy an FCA product (I don't even push them here). I was also a bit relieved to get rid of the JL and all it's first model year hybrid complexity stuff that's probably going to be a nightmare down the line. I don't want to own a Ram, but I'd own a Silverado.

Even the diesel Colorado doesn't have major issues like that. Sure, a sensor failing will strand you, but that's the .gov's fault. Sensors fail, replace the sensor and be done. The engine will still be fine, unlike the Ram.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:15 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:16 pm

OEMs have different standards and timelines for durability and validation. There's a reason I don't recommend any of my family buy an FCA product (I don't even push them here). I was also a bit relieved to get rid of the JL and all it's first model year hybrid complexity stuff that's probably going to be a nightmare down the line. I don't want to own a Ram, but I'd own a Silverado.

Even the diesel Colorado doesn't have major issues like that. Sure, a sensor failing will strand you, but that's the .gov's fault. Sensors fail, replace the sensor and be done. The engine will still be fine, unlike the Ram.
Yea exactly. Something like a sensor is acceptable or some weird software thing. But a crank bearing spinning due to a fouled oil passage. That’s inexcusable. Engine is toast … at that point. A 20k Italian :unicorn: engine at that…

There is a lot to be said for the simplicity. Non turbo n/a motors suck to drive but they will outlast our kids
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:15 pm

Yea exactly. Something like a sensor is acceptable or some weird software thing. But a crank bearing spinning due to a fouled oil passage. That’s inexcusable. Engine is toast … at that point. A 20k Italian :unicorn: engine at that…

There is a lot to be said for the simplicity. Non turbo n/a motors suck to drive but they will outlast our kids
The problem with validating parts is the time required to cover as many variables as possible. There's a reason FCA is quick to market with things and Toyota takes forever. There's always exceptions, but overall a Toyota product is probably going to run forever and require next to no part replacement or specific maintenance work.

We can argue the appropriateness of the 3.5 in the Taco from a performance standpoint, but from a durability standpoint, it's a no brainer. I'm sure the newer turbro Toyota engines will be bulletproof while others deal with little dumb shit that can nuke an engine out of warranty. And that last part is what matters, out of warranty means it's not a hit to the company, so some don't care. Others, like Toyota, that's built a brand around reliability/durability care more.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:14 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:23 pm

The problem with validating parts is the time required to cover as many variables as possible. There's a reason FCA is quick to market with things and Toyota takes forever. There's always exceptions, but overall a Toyota product is probably going to run forever and require next to no part replacement or specific maintenance work.

We can argue the appropriateness of the 3.5 in the Taco from a performance standpoint, but from a durability standpoint, it's a no brainer. I'm sure the newer turbro Toyota engines will be bulletproof while others deal with little dumb shit that can nuke an engine out of warranty. And that last part is what matters, out of warranty means it's not a hit to the company, so some don't care. Others, like Toyota, that's built a brand around reliability/durability care more.
Yea one can hate on the tacos for multiple reasons … but they really do last 300k miles with nothing but oil and filter changes and 1 set of plugs. Rust belt is a little different … but I don’t think anything is good there post 10 years
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:34 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:31 am Really liking the Cuckoma, at least looks wise. It doesn't make sense for me to have all these kinds of large vehicles, but I really do enjoy driving the Touareg, the roadworthiness is 5/7. Will be looking at new summer/ballz-seasons tires for it, and like hearing the feedback on what you're sporting there.
10-4. I try to be really objective and point out the good and the bad without filter. There are plenty of upsides and downsides to every vehicle. I found the Cuckoma to be quite a great road trip vehicle so far. Does everything I want it to do. I still think a Defender is a better "lifestyle" choice for me but, as indicated above, we go to middle of no where places all the time. If the defender key took a shit or what not... good luck getting service anywhere outside of the rich areas.
What are your thoughts on the tires for my mom-mobile? Could you say that they are as comfortable as the typical minivan tires equipped on most SUVS?
max225

10k free service done on the taco.
Got a “free” alignment as well as apparently it’s within the 12/12k parameters. My toe was out of whack for unknown reasons.
The only downside is getting to and from :dillerman: but thankfully they are 12min from my house.
So far I’m really loving the cost of ownership and general ownership of this truk
max225

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:13 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:34 am

10-4. I try to be really objective and point out the good and the bad without filter. There are plenty of upsides and downsides to every vehicle. I found the Cuckoma to be quite a great road trip vehicle so far. Does everything I want it to do. I still think a Defender is a better "lifestyle" choice for me but, as indicated above, we go to middle of no where places all the time. If the defender key took a shit or what not... good luck getting service anywhere outside of the rich areas.
What are your thoughts on the tires for my mom-mobile? Could you say that they are as comfortable as the typical minivan tires equipped on most SUVS?
Must have missed this. Which tires are you considering?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:59 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:13 am

Thanks for getting back to it, I appreciate your feedback. My wife's summer tires are pretty worn down, and I'll be looking for a deal on something new and different. She runs 275/50r19s I believe, and I'm sure that I can fit something a little beefier without much difficulty, so I'm considering the tires that you have on the Cuckoma in a marginally bigger sidewall or just OEM size. We really don't off-road, but may end up on a beach for a camping trip or whatever, and the extra traction might actually have a used like once in the life of the tire..

As much as I like the look of cool off-road tires, if they are noisy on the freeway or in any way uncomfortable I run the risk of the wife unit bitching about them perpetually. Her T-reg currently has minivan tires on it, 0/7 scene points on the 'Gram, but they are very comfy and quiet.

If you were shopping, and a living my cuck existence, would you :doit: and buy those tars?
max225

Tarspin wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:16 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:59 pm

Thanks for getting back to it, I appreciate your feedback. My wife's summer tires are pretty worn down, and I'll be looking for a deal on something new and different. She runs 275/50r19s I believe, and I'm sure that I can fit something a little beefier without much difficulty, so I'm considering the tires that you have on the Cuckoma in a marginally bigger sidewall or just OEM size. We really don't off-road, but may end up on a beach for a camping trip or whatever, and the extra traction might actually have a used like once in the life of the tire..

As much as I like the look of cool off-road tires, if they are noisy on the freeway or in any way uncomfortable I run the risk of the wife unit bitching about them perpetually. Her T-reg currently has minivan tires on it, 0/7 scene points on the 'Gram, but they are very comfy and quiet.

If you were shopping, and a living my cuck existence, would you :doit: and buy those tars?
Oh Gotchya. I like the current tires on the taco. They are quiet enough and seem to provide decent enough traction. They are wearing well. They should last about 50k for the set. I would say the tread pattern is actually medium aggressive. No it isn’t some sort of crazy M/T tire but it is certainly not a minivan tire either.

One thing to keep in mind, I’m on balloon tires. My size is 265/75/16. Given that your wheels are 3” bigger it may have a bit different characteristics and slightly more noise. But it should still be manageable.
Depending on how many miles I get out of this set I may buy another…. If that gives you an idea of how I feel about them.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

The biggest complaint I have about out T-Reg is the tire noise (antiquated Nav and infotainment comes in second). She likes being up high, but if it would quiet it down, I would consider lower profile rubbah.....
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:34 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:16 pm

Oh Gotchya. I like the current tires on the taco. They are quiet enough and seem to provide decent enough traction. They are wearing well. They should last about 50k for the set. I would say the tread pattern is actually medium aggressive. No it isn’t some sort of crazy M/T tire but it is certainly not a minivan tire either.

One thing to keep in mind, I’m on balloon tires. My size is 265/75/16. Given that your wheels are 3” bigger it may have a bit different characteristics and slightly more noise. But it should still be manageable.
Depending on how many miles I get out of this set I may buy another…. If that gives you an idea of how I feel about them.
Thanks Max, they sound pretty quiet and comfortable for the most part, it's always tough with :tits: , what's normal to me seems horrific to my wife at times, especially when it comes to creature comforts like tire noise, air con, and/or vehicular cabin space. She hates the :gorf:

Confirmed size is 255/55r18s, will review what's available and price shop in the next month or two.
Last edited by Tar on Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:57 am The biggest complaint I have about out T-Reg is the tire noise (antiquated Nav and infotainment comes in second). She likes being up high, but if it would quiet it down, I would consider lower profile rubbah.....
Ours is very quiet on the road. You might want to consider different tires. For road noise and comfort, the Continental Cross Contact LX Sport, they are minivan tars in every sense of the word. I run dedicated winter tires since they are shit in the snow.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:57 am The biggest complaint I have about out T-Reg is the tire noise (antiquated Nav and infotainment comes in second). She likes being up high, but if it would quiet it down, I would consider lower profile rubbah.....
Infotainment is a joke, I considered pulling it but it provides useful car info like oil level (dip stick is non-existent), and decent/steering angle which is pretty cool. Badass truck otherwise, I think it's quite capable off-road, and pretty reliable IMO
Irish

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:54 am
Infotainment is a joke, I considered pulling it but it provides useful car info like oil level (dip stick is non-existent), and decent/steering angle which is pretty cool. Badass truck otherwise, I think it's quite capable off-road, and pretty reliable IMO
Yeah, otherwise, i love it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:01 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:54 am

Same, it's much more useful and an overall nicer place to be then the :gorf: , to our family it carries more value and I'd off my car before the T-reg. It has a lot of nice components, like the brakes which are :mindblown: nice, they feel progressive and can grab hard when they are demanded to do so. We get by with a phone mount that :wap: recommended, and just run Google Maps on the phone.
Irish

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:25 am

Same, it's much more useful and an overall nicer place to be then the :gorf: , to our family it carries more value and I'd off my car before the T-reg. It has a lot of nice components, like the brakes which are :mindblown: nice, they feel progressive and can grab hard when they are demanded to do so. We get by with a phone mount that :wap: recommended, and just run Google Maps on the phone.
Agreed. We did just get a brake pad wear notification (wife unit is hard on brakes), which stays on on the dash screen.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:44 am

Agreed. We did just get a brake pad wear notification (wife unit is hard on brakes), which stays on on the dash screen.
:popcorn: on replacement costs, :yikes:

I saw your other post about the parking sensors and stuff, the car feels antiquated when it comes to the safety features. My R is a year newer and way more refined in that way. It would be nice to be able to shut some of the stuff off like VW allows you to do on newer get stuff.
Irish

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:51 am
Irish wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:44 am

I saw your other post about the parking sensors and stuff, the car feels antiquated when it comes to the safety features. My R is a year newer and way more refined in that way. It would be nice to be able to shut some of the stuff off like VW allows you to do on newer get stuff.
:dat:

If we can get away with just pads I may have my sons friend do the work. Hell, either way I will prob do that. Or I may try my hand at it myself..... brakes are one thing that I have always wanted to learn how to do myself. I have so rarely needed them that it just never happened.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:03 am

If we can get away with just pads I may have my sons friend do the work. Hell, either way I will prob do that. Or I may try my hand at it myself..... brakes are one thing that I have always wanted to learn how to do myself. I have so rarely needed them that it just never happened.
Brakes are the simplest job to tackle yourself.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:03 am

There's a servo calibration process that you'll need to do with a HEX-Can cable ($200/Ross-tech) or have a dealer do once the pads are in.
max225

Anyone got :taco: questions ?

I have been pretty happy with my Toyota ownership so far. My local :dillerman: is very decent, very close to my house an provides reasonably good service.
Taco itself have been completely trouble free in the first (almost year) and 10k miles
It has certainly replaced my well loved WJ Grand Cherokee as my favorite utilitarian vehicle. Although I will argue that I should have never sold the WJ as it does everything nearly as well as the :taco: and it got sold for pennies on the dollar.

No surprises so far.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Glad it's working out for you.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:05 pm Anyone got :taco: questions ?

I have been pretty happy with my Toyota ownership so far. My local :dillerman: is very decent, very close to my house an provides reasonably good service.
Taco itself have been completely trouble free in the first (almost year) and 10k miles
It has certainly replaced my well loved WJ Grand Cherokee as my favorite utilitarian vehicle. Although I will argue that I should have never sold the WJ as it does everything nearly as well as the :taco: and it got sold for pennies on the dollar.

No surprises so far.
:hibachi: I ordered an OEM tailgate lock kit, that locks the tailgate when you lock the doors. It has been quite annoying to constantly lock it with the key.