Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:42 am
Yep, though not with a ton of room. 5k towing capacity, boat+trailer+fuel is ~4k lbs.

That's the hard part, I really need a vehicle around that can tow 5k lbs for the boat. But I'm really over having the giant truck. I like having a bed for cargo stuff, but even then after this year those needs will diminish too.

There just aren't any off-roady SUVs that can tow 5k lbs. And yes, I want something that I can take camping in the woods. Doesn't need to be lifted on 40's, but needs to be more than a Subaru.

A Grand Cherokee Trailhawk would be a fantastic option, but the wife hates them for some reason. We both loved the ZR2, and if I can keep the long bed, it's a perfect solution.
What’s the road like from the boat storage to the lake? Elevation changes ? 75mph speed limits ?
Well, right now the plan is to keep the boat in my dad's heated garage, which is a 4 hour drive downstate. 3 hours of which is on I-75 with a 75mph speed limit, the rest is back roads doing about 60. I don't tow the boat above 70, and even then cruising altitude is closer to 65 (I'm overly cautious when towing, it makes me feel better :gaydance: ). That's a 2x annual trip, once to bring the boat up and once to take it down. Outside of that, it's pretty much going to live on the water, though we may take it to some other inland lakes, which is pretty much just flat 55mph roads.

It's a minor use case, so I'm not considering an HD truck or anything, but I want a vehicle that can at least tow it adequately. I'm not renting something to tow the boat around. A 5k tow rating would work fine for my purposes, but even that is limiting overall.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:28 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:42 am
Yep, though not with a ton of room. 5k towing capacity, boat+trailer+fuel is ~4k lbs.

That's the hard part, I really need a vehicle around that can tow 5k lbs for the boat. But I'm really over having the giant truck. I like having a bed for cargo stuff, but even then after this year those needs will diminish too.

There just aren't any off-roady SUVs that can tow 5k lbs. And yes, I want something that I can take camping in the woods. Doesn't need to be lifted on 40's, but needs to be more than a Subaru.

A Grand Cherokee Trailhawk would be a fantastic option, but the wife hates them for some reason. We both loved the ZR2, and if I can keep the long bed, it's a perfect solution.
:lol: was just about to mention that until the last line. Trailhawk with the Hemi would be :muah:
Yea. Wife says they're "old and boring" and the new one is "way too ugly", so I'm kind of stuck.

Funny because that's the vehicle I'm responsible for professionally. :lolol:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:08 pm
The value of these used ones is :impressive: but I'd never buy a new one.

That Clubman has HUD, Navi, pano sunroof, :fancy: leather, AWD, 4 years old with below avg miles for $22k with a new MSRP of $41k :mindblown: . AND being CPO, it gets more warranty.
That blue stitched leather is pretty fucking sick. I do enjoy the unique color combos on MINIs. They also seem like a sort of terrible buy, cool up front but then you lose your ass and will likely want out in a few years as they age and maybe become unreliable.

I do have hope that the more modern ones will be solid over the years in comparison to the old.
It seems like the modern ones are better when it comes to reliability, but the resale aspect is tough. I wouldn't buy one unless expecting to keep it long term.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:31 pm
coogles wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:28 pm

:lol: was just about to mention that until the last line. Trailhawk with the Hemi would be :muah:
Yea. Wife says they're "old and boring" and the new one is "way too ugly", so I'm kind of stuck.

What’s the TrailHawks towing capacity?
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:45 am Panamera towing capacity is 4800 lbs.
Unfortunately, I can't afford the maintenance. Wife LOVES Panameras.
Meh. Base model with no air suspension or turbros. Skip the :dillerman: and drive it into the ground.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:40 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:31 pm

With a Hemi, 7,200 lbs. It's perfect.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:41 pm
Detroit wrote: Unfortunately, I can't afford the maintenance. Wife LOVES Panameras.
Meh. Base model with no air suspension or turbros. Skip the :dillerman: and drive it into the ground.
Are base models pretty reliable? :notsure:

I've also thought about base V8 Cayennes.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:44 pm
Apex wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:40 pm

Indeed, most ideal. Probably what I should have bought too. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:44 pm
BUT, not nearly as fun as a JT. I get the wife's point, the WK is nice, but just old feeling and meh overall.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:49 pm
Apex wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:46 pm

BUT, not nearly as fun as a JT. I get the wife's point, the WK is nice, but just old feeling and meh overall.
WK2 has been around for what, 8+ years at this point? It’s running a bit long in the tooth.

I’m :excited: to get the top and doors off the JT when we’re at the beach!
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:52 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:49 pm
WK2 has been around for what, 8+ years at this point? It’s running a bit long in the tooth.

Yep, it's old and it feels like it I think the WL looks fantastic, but the cost is high and the wife "hates it" so, that's that.

It's 65 outside, and I need to go run a few errands. REALLY miss the JT right now, would love to have at least the panels off.

My heart is still with the JT, there's just more compromises than I want with it.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:41 pm Meh. Base model with no air suspension or turbros. Skip the :dillerman: and drive it into the ground.
Are base models pretty reliable? :notsure:

No clue, I don't keep up with that kind of stuff. Non-turbro non-air-suspension Cayenne and touareg/Q7 probably make more sense but that's all out of my realm of knowledge.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Sneak in a JGC with a different badge? The ML/GLE350 with the regular V6 and steel suspension is a pretty rock solid thing. They're not in any way fun to drive, but they make a great couch and from what I'm seeing are rated for 7,200 pounds.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:56 pm
Apex wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:52 pm

Yep, it's old and it feels like it I think the WL looks fantastic, but the cost is high and the wife "hates it" so, that's that.

It's 65 outside, and I need to go run a few errands. REALLY miss the JT right now, would love to have at least the panels off.

My heart is still with the JT, there's just more compromises than I want with it.
Totally get it.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:16 pm Sneak in a JGC with a different badge? The ML/GLE350 with the regular V6 and steel suspension is a pretty rock solid thing. They're not in any way fun to drive, but they make a great couch and from what I'm seeing are rated for 7,200 pounds.
I was wondering about these sort of options. I also thought about a Lexus GX, tow rating looks to be ~6k lbs, which would work.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Are base models pretty reliable? :notsure:

No clue, I don't keep up with that kind of stuff. Non-turbro non-air-suspension Cayenne and touareg/Q7 probably make more sense but that's all out of my realm of knowledge.
Completely out of my realm of knowledge as well. I just assumed I'm too poor for any P car.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:21 pm
coogles wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:16 pm Sneak in a JGC with a different badge? The ML/GLE350 with the regular V6 and steel suspension is a pretty rock solid thing. They're not in any way fun to drive, but they make a great couch and from what I'm seeing are rated for 7,200 pounds.
I was wondering about these sort of options. I also thought about a Lexus GX, tow rating looks to be ~6k lbs, which would work.
Check out Lifestyle Overland on the YouTubes if your Offroad GX curious.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:29 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:09 pm

What’s the road like from the boat storage to the lake? Elevation changes ? 75mph speed limits ?
Well, right now the plan is to keep the boat in my dad's heated garage, which is a 4 hour drive downstate. 3 hours of which is on I-75 with a 75mph speed limit, the rest is back roads doing about 60. I don't tow the boat above 70, and even then cruising altitude is closer to 65 (I'm overly cautious when towing, it makes me feel better :gaydance: ). That's a 2x annual trip, once to bring the boat up and once to take it down. Outside of that, it's pretty much going to live on the water, though we may take it to some other inland lakes, which is pretty much just flat 55mph roads.

It's a minor use case, so I'm not considering an HD truck or anything, but I want a vehicle that can at least tow it adequately. I'm not renting something to tow the boat around. A 5k tow rating would work fine for my purposes, but even that is limiting overall.
I guess what i am getting at is, 75mph speed limits and towing a house behind a house seems like a case for a bigger motor. I wouldn't tow anything more than 3500lbs with my taco for extended distances. The thing just doesn't have the power to do so comfortably. Unless pegging it at 5k for 5 hrs is ok. :yikes:
troyguitar

GX470/460 seems epic for you TBH if you can slow down on the useless bed activities...
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

[user not found] wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:13 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:04 pm
The Clubman is our perfect car. AWD for the snow we get, 4 doors for people but still some cargo room, still somewhat fun to drive and unique, while being relatively efficient and decently comfortable. I'd go check out this funky one I posted because I want a :manuel: but :tits: hates "car shopping "and refuses, I just want to see what it's like to determine if it belongs on the list at all :ohwell: . It'll remain high on the list if we decide we need a 2nd vehicle for sure.
The 8-speed auto is better.

There, I said it.
:howdareyou:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:17 pm GX470/460 seems epic for you TBH if you can slow down on the useless bed activities...
I'm hoping to get bed activities done this year. Small house=small pinshit.

https://www.auditraversecity.com/used/L ... 9e7814.htm

Seriously, GX might be the way...this thing is perfect for us.
ChrisoftheNorth

Detroit wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:04 pm
The Clubman is our perfect car. AWD for the snow we get, 4 doors for people but still some cargo room, still somewhat fun to drive and unique, while being relatively efficient and decently comfortable. I'd go check out this funky one I posted because I want a :manuel: but :tits: hates "car shopping "and refuses, I just want to see what it's like to determine if it belongs on the list at all :ohwell: . It'll remain high on the list if we decide we need a 2nd vehicle for sure.

There, I said it.
Like griff, I just like a :manuel: and miss having one. If I can find the right car, it would be a nice plus. A main reason I'd consider a MINI is for :manuel:
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Detroit wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:51 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:17 pm GX470/460 seems epic for you TBH if you can slow down on the useless bed activities...

SUV with a hitch + Smallish trailer = Bed
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:56 am
Detroit wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:51 am

Smallish trailer = Bed
I just don't have anywhere to store a trailer. I already have to somehow make space for the boat trailer.

That said, the possibility of getting a side by side is high next year, and that will need a trailer, which could double as a truck bed indeed. Towing behind a GX would be 5/7.

Though another "perfect" option would be a GMT800 Avalanche. Might keep an eye out for one on the west coast to bring back next year.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:54 am

There, I said it.
Like griff, I just like a :manuel: and miss having one. If I can find the right car, it would be a nice plus. A main reason I'd consider a MINI is for :manuel:
The MT kinda blows in the F gen minis.