Soviet Clowncar chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
User avatar
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 27628
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:51 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:45 pm
max225 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:43 pm
Lowered to 38F and 34R. Will report on this after I drive again.
Do it now :well:
I have to get on a work call in 9 min ... :-/

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 35968
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:51 pm

max225 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:51 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:45 pm


Do it now :well:
I have to get on a work call in 9 min ... :-/
Then that's 7 minutes of pothole slamming bruh :popcorn:

User avatar
CaleDeRoo
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 3735
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:46 pm
Drives: C5
Location: Western NY

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:02 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:51 pm
max225 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:51 pm


I have to get on a work call in 9 min ... :-/
Then that's 7 minutes of pothole slamming bruh :popcorn:
His car has BT calling :evilplan:

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 35968
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:03 pm

CaleDeRoo wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:02 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:51 pm


Then that's 7 minutes of pothole slamming bruh :popcorn:
His car has BT calling :evilplan:
:notbad:

User avatar
Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Posts: 9677
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:31 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:14 pm

max225 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:36 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:13 pm


This made me laugh.
:butwhy:
Zhukov Things.
Bender wrote: No one gives a shit about Virginia

User avatar
Gberg2119
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 3474
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:09 pm
Drives: Bloo Egg
Location: Philly

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:21 pm

max225 wrote:
Zillon wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:56 am
The 205s are way too narrow for the stock wheels.

Post up a good exterior 3/4 angle shot when you eventually take it out. Curious to see how it looks with some thiccer rubber.

Image
:muah:

Looks pretty much perfect.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk


User avatar
Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Posts: 9677
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:31 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:49 pm

Dem Bukkake Ramz
Bender wrote: No one gives a shit about Virginia

User avatar
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 27628
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:59 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:49 pm
Dem Bukkake Ramz
Of they don’t look like dicks I ain’t rolling them

User avatar
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 27628
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:25 pm

So took it out for an initial spin. :notbad:

First impressions on absolutely hooning the mini and getting 15mpg.

The JCW slots in somewhere between the 370Z I had and the M3. It is one of the easiest cars to drive fast. I took my 370z on the same canyon road and the ass would bottom out, no such thing on the JCW. Also the JCW thanks to the turbo has an enormously wide power band, power from 2500-6500rpm, the transmission in sport shifts nice. The m3 is both faster and far more capable through the turns, however, the M3 is downright scary compared to the mini, i.e M3 would break tires loose at 60, and WOT was insanely scary coming out turns etc.

So I also ended up going bonkers with a Fox Notchback through he canyons, he was lowered, on at least 275s all around, + cowl hood, because reasons. He couldn't pull away from me through turns or on straight aways. However... I was super impressed, I don't think I could go any faster without seriously crashing or whatnot.

What's good about the mini:
1. Really great handling + size
2. Sounds very good
3. Very easy to drive at the limit
4. Tons of fun all around
5. Suspension is super compliant while being firm, i would NEVER fuck with it, it is a near perfect setup.
6. The power is perfect, doesn't need a tune or more power.

What's not good:
1. Tires could be taller still. I really do think this car needs to be on 17's
2. Brakes are not great, they are VERY GOOD, but they should be better considering the size of the calipers. I am thinking better pads may improve that. This is the road where I melted the CLA250 "AMG" brakes, no such issues on the mini.


Now just about the tires. Vs the factory run flats
+15-20% better handling, hard to quantify this mainly because my rear tires were so fking worn that it doesn't make it a fair comparison. but the new stuff is much more predictable at the limit now, as the ass doesn't slide out anymore, which was bizarre on a FWD car.
-10% road noise, rear is certainly quieter but front about the same as my P7s.
+20-25% better ride quality, but also take this with a grain of salt as my rears were done, I would say overall these are 10-15% better than runflats.

Nope not a NIGHT AND DAY OMG I RIDE ON A CLOUD, difference but better.



Image

Image
Image
Last edited by max225 on Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 27628
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:36 pm

No :hibachi: here

User avatar
CaleDeRoo
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 3735
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:46 pm
Drives: C5
Location: Western NY

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:38 pm

:excited:

User avatar
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 27628
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:38 pm

Oh I just found out how to post the pics normally

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 35968
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:44 pm

:fuckyeah:

User avatar
troyguitar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 16133
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:15 am
Drives: Toyota Ninja Turtle
Location: Hoth

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:47 pm

max225 wrote:No :hibachi: here
:notbad:

FWIW 10% is a night and day improvement in tarz. The total garbage OE Prius Michelins do 0.90g on the 86. The badass PS4S in the same size on the same size wheels do... 0.98g

User avatar
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 27628
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:58 pm

troyguitar wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:47 pm
max225 wrote:No :hibachi: here
:notbad:

FWIW 10% is a night and day improvement in tarz. The total garbage OE Prius Michelins do 0.90g on the 86. The badass PS4S in the same size on the same size wheels do... 0.98g
Yea that makes perfect sense actually, :member: I did go a little bit wider with mine. But overall not like the stock tires were bad... IMO they weren't Terrible https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... d+Rated%29 but the 15 people that reviewed them "HATE THEM" or whatever 3/5 stars. I would say 0 rugrats from me... Certainly don't think I made any wrong decision here.

Anyone curious what the official 0-60 on the mini is ? I have an actual accelerometer from the good old days. The 335i went 4.92 STOCK. I never measured the M3... :disgust: I should do it for science eh?

User avatar
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 27628
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:01 pm

FWIW my stock skidpad number was supposed to be .88 I can actually measure that too but I just don't have the space.

User avatar
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 27628
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:34 pm

Ok.. I went :fullretard:

0-60 times
Run 1 Normal mode 6.5
Run 2 Sport mode 6.3
Run 3 Sport + Sport Trans + Exhaust 6.0
Run 4 Normal + Exhaust 6.15

My exhaust mode seems to actually ADD performance :yikes:

Had a few others in between where I had to cut it short or what not.

Car certainly holds high .98 GS, it topped out at 1.1 but it started slipping at that point so it was a peak vs a constant... I wonder what the constant is, of course I have space constraints ...

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 35968
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:44 pm

max225 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:34 pm
Ok.. I went :fullretard:

0-60 times
Run 1 Normal mode 6.5
Run 2 Sport mode 6.3
Run 3 Sport + Sport Trans + Exhaust 6.0
Run 4 Normal + Exhaust 6.15

My exhaust mode seems to actually ADD performance :yikes:

Had a few others in between where I had to cut it short or what not.

Car certainly holds high .98 GS, it topped out at 1.1 but it started slipping at that point so it was a peak vs a constant... I wonder what the constant is, of course I have space constraints ...
Space constraints? Your car can make a u turn in 2 lanes.

Traction limited on the 0-60?

User avatar
Gberg2119
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 3474
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:09 pm
Drives: Bloo Egg
Location: Philly

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:09 pm

max225 wrote:Ok.. I went :fullretard:

0-60 times
Run 1 Normal mode 6.5
Run 2 Sport mode 6.3
Run 3 Sport + Sport Trans + Exhaust 6.0
Run 4 Normal + Exhaust 6.15

My exhaust mode seems to actually ADD performance :yikes:

Had a few others in between where I had to cut it short or what not.

Car certainly holds high .98 GS, it topped out at 1.1 but it started slipping at that point so it was a peak vs a constant... I wonder what the constant is, of course I have space constraints ...
:notbad:

TC can be fully defeated?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk


User avatar
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 27628
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:23 am

Johnny_P wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:44 pm
max225 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:34 pm
Ok.. I went :fullretard:

0-60 times
Run 1 Normal mode 6.5
Run 2 Sport mode 6.3
Run 3 Sport + Sport Trans + Exhaust 6.0
Run 4 Normal + Exhaust 6.15

My exhaust mode seems to actually ADD performance :yikes:

Had a few others in between where I had to cut it short or what not.

Car certainly holds high .98 GS, it topped out at 1.1 but it started slipping at that point so it was a peak vs a constant... I wonder what the constant is, of course I have space constraints ...
Space constraints? Your car can make a u turn in 2 lanes.

Traction limited on the 0-60?
But it makes a lot of noise screening ... noise when I am driving like a dumb ass. Somewhat traction limited yes... 2.3 60ft time... which is "OK" but not great. Your scoobie can do it in 1.8/1.9 during the death launch hence the quick 0-60...

User avatar
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 27628
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:24 am

Gberg2119 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:09 pm
max225 wrote:Ok.. I went :fullretard:

0-60 times
Run 1 Normal mode 6.5
Run 2 Sport mode 6.3
Run 3 Sport + Sport Trans + Exhaust 6.0
Run 4 Normal + Exhaust 6.15

My exhaust mode seems to actually ADD performance :yikes:

Had a few others in between where I had to cut it short or what not.

Car certainly holds high .98 GS, it topped out at 1.1 but it started slipping at that point so it was a peak vs a constant... I wonder what the constant is, of course I have space constraints ...
:notbad:

TC can be fully defeated?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
According to the screen it is off, but I see it blinking at points... :notsure: there are ways two levels of "off" one is TC and next is DSC...

User avatar
troyguitar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 16133
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:15 am
Drives: Toyota Ninja Turtle
Location: Hoth

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:43 am

Do the ECS tires also not make much noise when spinning/sliding for you? On my MR2 they were like racing slicks - they didn't squeal at all even when sliding it around at autox. It was nice in that you could drive like an asshole without drawing extra attention.

User avatar
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 27628
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:48 am

troyguitar wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:43 am
Do the ECS tires also not make much noise when spinning/sliding for you? On my MR2 they were like racing slicks - they didn't squeal at all even when sliding it around at autox. It was nice in that you could drive like an asshole without drawing extra attention.
:dat: was an immediate difference I noticed, I figured maybe because new... but yes they are near silent

User avatar
D Griff
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 14601
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:49 am
Drives: Brub Tub and Kamry \\W

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:48 am

max225 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:34 pm
Ok.. I went :fullretard:

0-60 times
Run 1 Normal mode 6.5
Run 2 Sport mode 6.3
Run 3 Sport + Sport Trans + Exhaust 6.0
Run 4 Normal + Exhaust 6.15

My exhaust mode seems to actually ADD performance :yikes:

Had a few others in between where I had to cut it short or what not.

Car certainly holds high .98 GS, it topped out at 1.1 but it started slipping at that point so it was a peak vs a constant... I wonder what the constant is, of course I have space constraints ...
:neat:

THis thread is really delivering on the content front :fuckyeah: :mahman:

I love the color scheme of your MINI, digging the canyon pics.

User avatar
Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 24446
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:11 pm
Drives: Trailcock / Jizz Rocket
Location: Dirty JerZ

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:40 am

Johnny_P wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:43 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:36 pm
JP here with the :fax: to save Max's bax
He protecc
He attacc
But most importantly
He got the faxx to save Max's bacc
4.89/7 - missed an opportunity to use :fax:

:lol:
Zildor the Magnificent
Mazderp Dillerman Extraordinaire
Garage: 2019 Trailcock | 2006 :jizz: rocket

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest