Kamry XSE impressions and further updates

Strut your greasy stuff!
User avatar
razr390
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 15688
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:08 am

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:02 pm

Gberg2119 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:54 pm
razr390 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:21 pm
Do MK7 (not 7.5) R’s come with 6spd DSG or 7? New GTI’s (2019+) and R’s (2018+) gave 7 speed DSG’s which also require maintenance every 80k instead of 40k. Coupled with a transferable 6 year, 72k B2B & PT warranty, there may be deals to be had. I’ve heard of many dealers being way more friendly to negotiation and money on hood on new R’s compared to years past, because now VW does “Spektrum” R’s and dealer’s are getting their markup :dedong: planted on those who want a unique colored R versus a normal paint color.

Check into a CPO 18?
Mk7 has a 6 speed. 7.5 is 7 speed.

Spektrum R's are :fakenews: . Dillers only get 1 allocation for a spektrum car.
The entire allocation process is FUCKED. My friend is in the process and it is HELL. It is borked on corporate side believe it or not. They are giving dealers allocation numbers and then they withdraw them after the dealers get a order in.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
WAP wrote:Hey, if he's old enough to wear a ball gag he's old enough to fuck himself.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 23181
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:04 pm

Detroit wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:12 pm
Jalopnik even did a thing on this when David Tracy worked at FCA:

https://jalopnik.com/dear-car-companies ... 1746653093
I think this is ok. I would feel guilty biting the hand that feeds and driving the top competitors. When I worked at a fortune 50 company before people would get in trouble with management if they were spotted shopping competitor stores.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 23181
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:05 pm

razr390 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:02 pm
Gberg2119 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:54 pm


Mk7 has a 6 speed. 7.5 is 7 speed.

Spektrum R's are :fakenews: . Dillers only get 1 allocation for a spektrum car.
The entire allocation process is FUCKED. My friend is in the process and it is HELL. It is borked on corporate side believe it or not. They are giving dealers allocation numbers and then they withdraw them after the dealers get a order in.
What the shit is a Spektrum?

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 23181
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:07 pm

Apex wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:16 pm
Detroit wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:11 pm

Oh, right! How did it go selling that turd?
It was a trip... as you said, everyone (except the guy I sold it to) wanted service records up front. Being a college kid, I didn't have records from :dillerman: just the indy stuff that the PO gave me and some stuff that I had done at a reputable indy shop who happened to be local to me.

This was also for a $8k track car that had no interior, no ac, no door windows, race seats, rollbar, harnesses, etc. I dropped the price enough to get a guy who didn't demand everything that everyone else was. He shipped me some home-made door covers so the car would be sealed up during transport and that was that.

Oh right, it also had 190k miles on it too.
Looks like this is gonna be a no from me Dog.

User avatar
Gberg2119
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2857
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:09 pm
Drives: Misfiring Egg
Location: Philly

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:07 pm

razr390 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:02 pm
Gberg2119 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:54 pm


Mk7 has a 6 speed. 7.5 is 7 speed.

Spektrum R's are :fakenews: . Dillers only get 1 allocation for a spektrum car.
The entire allocation process is FUCKED. My friend is in the process and it is HELL. It is borked on corporate side believe it or not. They are giving dealers allocation numbers and then they withdraw them after the dealers get a order in.
Yep. It's garbage. VW still has no idea how to handle customer orders.

User avatar
Gberg2119
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2857
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:09 pm
Drives: Misfiring Egg
Location: Philly

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:08 pm

max225 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:05 pm
razr390 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:02 pm


The entire allocation process is FUCKED. My friend is in the process and it is HELL. It is borked on corporate side believe it or not. They are giving dealers allocation numbers and then they withdraw them after the dealers get a order in.
What the shit is a Spektrum?
One of the $2500 optional colors.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 23181
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:09 pm

razr390 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:21 pm
Do MK7 (not 7.5) R’s come with 6spd DSG or 7? New GTI’s (2019+) and R’s (2018+) gave 7 speed DSG’s which also require maintenance every 80k instead of 40k. Coupled with a transferable 6 year, 72k B2B & PT warranty, there may be deals to be had. I’ve heard of many dealers being way more friendly to negotiation and money on hood on new R’s compared to years past, because now VW does “Spektrum” R’s and dealer’s are getting their markup :dedong: planted on those who want a unique colored R versus a normal paint color.

Check into a CPO 18?
A 2018 R is around 35-38k when you shop around, a 2016 is a full 10k cheaper. I don't see anything that adds nearly 50% to the price. If i can find a 2018 for 32 I may do it, but that seems unlikely by september.

My local dealer is trying to get 47k for the new 2019s on their lot, they have 12... +5k markup. :dillerman: life

User avatar
Gberg2119
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2857
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:09 pm
Drives: Misfiring Egg
Location: Philly

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:10 pm

max225 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:09 pm
razr390 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:21 pm
Do MK7 (not 7.5) R’s come with 6spd DSG or 7? New GTI’s (2019+) and R’s (2018+) gave 7 speed DSG’s which also require maintenance every 80k instead of 40k. Coupled with a transferable 6 year, 72k B2B & PT warranty, there may be deals to be had. I’ve heard of many dealers being way more friendly to negotiation and money on hood on new R’s compared to years past, because now VW does “Spektrum” R’s and dealer’s are getting their markup :dedong: planted on those who want a unique colored R versus a normal paint color.

Check into a CPO 18?
A 2018 R is around 35-38k when you shop around, a 2016 is a full 10k cheaper. I don't see anything that adds nearly 50% to the price. If i can find a 2018 for 32 I may do it, but that seems unlikely by september.

My local dealer is trying to get 47k for the new 2019s on their lot, they have 12... +5k markup. :dillerman: life
:disgust:

The fuck is wrong with them out there that they're still charging a markup.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 23181
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:11 pm

razr390 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:42 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:36 pm


Fuck I'm having PTSD from these stories and I've never owned a Porsche.
When :waxer: sells his P-car he’ll post “I have the service records somewhere buried in this wall of knife boxes and my entire gun safe/ammo storage. Do you REALLY want the records or can you do without?
He will trade in 0FG. Who in their right mind would PP sell a $100k P car.

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 31532
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:12 pm

max225 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:04 pm
Detroit wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:12 pm
Jalopnik even did a thing on this when David Tracy worked at FCA:

https://jalopnik.com/dear-car-companies ... 1746653093
I think this is ok. I would feel guilty biting the hand that feeds and driving the top competitors. When I worked at a fortune 50 company before people would get in trouble with management if they were spotted shopping competitor stores.
Yea...I'm not going to go out and buy/lease a competitive vehicle, but I'm also not going to take a bath selling my competitive vehicles just to support the company.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 23181
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:30 pm

Gberg2119 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:10 pm
max225 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:09 pm


A 2018 R is around 35-38k when you shop around, a 2016 is a full 10k cheaper. I don't see anything that adds nearly 50% to the price. If i can find a 2018 for 32 I may do it, but that seems unlikely by september.

My local dealer is trying to get 47k for the new 2019s on their lot, they have 12... +5k markup. :dillerman: life
:disgust:

The fuck is wrong with them out there that they're still charging a markup.
The only time I haven't seen a mark up was at the end of 2012, when I test drove a 37k golf R, at the end of the year they had 5k on the hood. I can't even test drive a new golf R out here... because they are "special"

User avatar
Gberg2119
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2857
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:09 pm
Drives: Misfiring Egg
Location: Philly

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:34 pm

max225 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:30 pm
Gberg2119 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:10 pm


:disgust:

The fuck is wrong with them out there that they're still charging a markup.
The only time I haven't seen a mark up was at the end of 2012, when I test drove a 37k golf R, at the end of the year they had 5k on the hood. I can't even test drive a new golf R out here... because they are "special"
:disgust: :dillerman:

I forget. Have you driven an R yet? Or just a GTI?

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 23181
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:37 pm

Gberg2119 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:34 pm
max225 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:30 pm


The only time I haven't seen a mark up was at the end of 2012, when I test drove a 37k golf R, at the end of the year they had 5k on the hood. I can't even test drive a new golf R out here... because they are "special"
:disgust: :dillerman:

I forget. Have you driven an R yet? Or just a GTI?
I have not driven a MK7 R. I have driven a Mk7 gti SE, MK7 GTI base, Mk6 R, MK6 gti, and my MK6 TDI. I don't see the need. They tend to drive the same along the line up, the main reason I am getting the R is lack of depreciation + AWD. I am sure it handles identically to a GTI as they ride on the same chassis/tires etc.

User avatar
razr390
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 15688
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:08 am

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:08 pm

max225 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:09 pm
razr390 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:21 pm
Do MK7 (not 7.5) R’s come with 6spd DSG or 7? New GTI’s (2019+) and R’s (2018+) gave 7 speed DSG’s which also require maintenance every 80k instead of 40k. Coupled with a transferable 6 year, 72k B2B & PT warranty, there may be deals to be had. I’ve heard of many dealers being way more friendly to negotiation and money on hood on new R’s compared to years past, because now VW does “Spektrum” R’s and dealer’s are getting their markup :dedong: planted on those who want a unique colored R versus a normal paint color.

Check into a CPO 18?
A 2018 R is around 35-38k when you shop around, a 2016 is a full 10k cheaper. I don't see anything that adds nearly 50% to the price. If i can find a 2018 for 32 I may do it, but that seems unlikely by september.

My local dealer is trying to get 47k for the new 2019s on their lot, they have 12... +5k markup. :dillerman: life
Dude just shop elsewhere in the country. Do you NEED to get a car from a California dealer? Plenty of dealers here offering them for $500-1k under invoice
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
WAP wrote:Hey, if he's old enough to wear a ball gag he's old enough to fuck himself.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 23181
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:10 pm

razr390 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:08 pm
max225 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:09 pm


A 2018 R is around 35-38k when you shop around, a 2016 is a full 10k cheaper. I don't see anything that adds nearly 50% to the price. If i can find a 2018 for 32 I may do it, but that seems unlikely by september.

My local dealer is trying to get 47k for the new 2019s on their lot, they have 12... +5k markup. :dillerman: life
Dude just shop elsewhere in the country. Do you NEED to get a car from a California dealer? Plenty of dealers here offering them for $500-1k under invoice
You do realize there is a cost involved with getting it here? I search within a 500 mile radius anything more than that is more than 1K added to the price.

MSRP is 42,900 on a 2019 Golf R. That's not really appealing with a 2016 with 19k miles is 28k CPO'd.

User avatar
razr390
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 15688
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:08 am

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:17 pm

max225 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:10 pm
razr390 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:08 pm


Dude just shop elsewhere in the country. Do you NEED to get a car from a California dealer? Plenty of dealers here offering them for $500-1k under invoice
You do realize there is a cost involved with getting it here? I search within a 500 mile radius anything more than that is more than 1K added to the price.

MSRP is 42,900 on a 2019 Golf R. That's not really appealing with a 2016 with 19k miles is 28k CPO'd.
:notwrong:

Would you be willing to epic road trip drive it back home?
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
WAP wrote:Hey, if he's old enough to wear a ball gag he's old enough to fuck himself.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 23181
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:23 pm

razr390 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:17 pm
max225 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:10 pm

You do realize there is a cost involved with getting it here? I search within a 500 mile radius anything more than that is more than 1K added to the price.

MSRP is 42,900 on a 2019 Golf R. That's not really appealing with a 2016 with 19k miles is 28k CPO'd.
:notwrong:

Would you be willing to epic road trip drive it back home?
For 7k off I'd fly anywhere up to texass, but I don't think that's gonna happen.I can also wait until year end because I :aintcare:

Depends on the :dill: I honestly :aintcare: about traveling to pick up a car, but it has to make sense. I am in a sort of unique situation, I am in golf R/Civic R/RS Mecca, a lot of people here getting those cars.

User avatar
razr390
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 15688
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:08 am

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:30 pm

max225 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:23 pm
razr390 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:17 pm

:notwrong:

Would you be willing to epic road trip drive it back home?
For 7k off I'd fly anywhere up to texass, but I don't think that's gonna happen.I can also wait until year end because I :aintcare:

Depends on the :dill: I honestly :aintcare: about traveling to pick up a car, but it has to make sense. I am in a sort of unique situation, I am in golf R/Civic R/RS Mecca, a lot of people here getting those cars.
You need to get the R from somewhere that it ISN'T a Mecca because that’s who’s willing to do the deal more than those who have talking wallets lined up to buy one.

I have a point of contact at VW Alamo Heights if they have any R’s here in San Antonio. See what cars they have and I’ll see if I can reach out and get you a sweet dill.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
WAP wrote:Hey, if he's old enough to wear a ball gag he's old enough to fuck himself.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 23181
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:18 pm

razr390 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:30 pm
max225 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:23 pm

For 7k off I'd fly anywhere up to texass, but I don't think that's gonna happen.I can also wait until year end because I :aintcare:

Depends on the :dill: I honestly :aintcare: about traveling to pick up a car, but it has to make sense. I am in a sort of unique situation, I am in golf R/Civic R/RS Mecca, a lot of people here getting those cars.
You need to get the R from somewhere that it ISN'T a Mecca because that’s who’s willing to do the deal more than those who have talking wallets lined up to buy one.

I have a point of contact at VW Alamo Heights if they have any R’s here in San Antonio. See what cars they have and I’ll see if I can reach out and get you a sweet dill.
Appreciate the heads up, I'll be looking at 100% starting August.

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 31532
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:49 am

Also have to deal with smog...I brought cars from out of state all the time to CA, just had to get them smog checked, which they always passed...still not sure if the laws have changed or anything.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 23181
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:09 pm

Detroit wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:49 am
Also have to deal with smog...I brought cars from out of state all the time to CA, just had to get them smog checked, which they always passed...still not sure if the laws have changed or anything.
Well smog is smog you have to do it every two years. On new cars it’s exempt for 6. But I don’t think it’s a big deal for me as I won’t be modding or tuning. My 405k mile crown Vic passed smog I’m sure a new R will too

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 31532
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:12 pm

max225 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:09 pm
Detroit wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:49 am
Also have to deal with smog...I brought cars from out of state all the time to CA, just had to get them smog checked, which they always passed...still not sure if the laws have changed or anything.
Well smog is smog you have to do it every two years. On new cars it’s exempt for 6. But I don’t think it’s a big deal for me as I won’t be modding or tuning. My 405k mile crown Vic passed smog I’m sure a new R will too
No...I mean you have to take a vehicle you purchased out of state (even if new) to get it smogged before you can register it. I had to do it with my JK that I bought in Vegas. You don't have to do that when you buy the vehicle from a dealer in CA.

Cars are built with different emissions labels depending on where it's sold (dealer state). Back when I did it in 2012, it didn't matter...as long as it passed smog, which obviously the new vehicle did. I don't know if there's been any rule changes since then about bringing NEW cars in from out of state.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 23181
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:00 pm

Detroit wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:12 pm
max225 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:09 pm


Well smog is smog you have to do it every two years. On new cars it’s exempt for 6. But I don’t think it’s a big deal for me as I won’t be modding or tuning. My 405k mile crown Vic passed smog I’m sure a new R will too
No...I mean you have to take a vehicle you purchased out of state (even if new) to get it smogged before you can register it. I had to do it with my JK that I bought in Vegas. You don't have to do that when you buy the vehicle from a dealer in CA.

Cars are built with different emissions labels depending on where it's sold (dealer state). Back when I did it in 2012, it didn't matter...as long as it passed smog, which obviously the new vehicle did. I don't know if there's been any rule changes since then about bringing NEW cars in from out of state.
Yea out of state dickery isn't ideal. I'd obviously do it for the right price. But "right price" is likely not found out of state. Deals on cars in cali are plentiful, and this isn't exactly the rarest car on earth.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 23181
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:33 pm

Did nationwide search most places have Golf R's at about 2500 off outside of my 30 mile radius. Man, DSG cars are hard to find 1 DSG car for every 3 manuals.

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 31532
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:34 pm

max225 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:33 pm
Did nationwide search most places have Golf R's at about 2500 off outside of my 30 mile radius. Man, DSG cars are hard to find 1 DSG car for every 3 manuals.
That's really interesting. I'd expect more DSGs. :iono:
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CaleDeRoo and 1 guest