Luggage

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Looking for carry-ons and/or a duffel. My Travelpro bag is on its last legs, the airboat cable limiter to the handle fix I did to it years ago isn't going to last much longer. My giant roller check bag is a Delsey that hasn't given me any problems.

What you got? Pros/cons? Where did you get it from?

Soft sided. Light is good. Preference on number of wheels on a carry-on roller? 2 vs 4?
If its a duffel I'd prefer it have those backpack type straps for easy carrying.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:20 am Looking for carry-ons and/or a duffel. My Travelpro bag is on its last legs, the airboat cable limiter to the handle fix I did to it years ago isn't going to last much longer. My giant roller check bag is a Delsey that hasn't given me any problems.

Soft sided. Light is good. Preference on number of wheels on a carry-on roller? 2 vs 4?
If its a duffel I'd prefer it have those backpack type straps for easy carrying.
I got a Timberland "Duffel" with wheels as my carry on...was a deal of the day on Amazon a while back

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094 ... =UTF8&th=1

I like it quite a bit. Being half soft, it can smash in any overhead bin...and it has handles everywhere so it's easy to grab. Also rolls well.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:29 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:20 am Looking for carry-ons and/or a duffel. My Travelpro bag is on its last legs, the airboat cable limiter to the handle fix I did to it years ago isn't going to last much longer. My giant roller check bag is a Delsey that hasn't given me any problems.

I got a Timberland "Duffel" with wheels as my carry on...was a deal of the day on Amazon a while back

I like it quite a bit. Being half soft, it can smash in any overhead bin...and it has handles everywhere so it's easy to grab. Also rolls well.
So I was going to ask about these, glad you have one so I can bounce this off you.... What is the advantage to this over a regular wheeled suitcase? IMO the advantage of a duffle is you can shove it anywhere and it will conform to odd shaped objects so you can carry something that otherwise wouldn't really fit in a more rigid sided suitcase. Unpacked they take up zero room and weigh nothing.

The duffel I borrowed for AZ had my tent, bag, pad, kitchen, and all my clothes in it and it only weighed 30 lbs loaded. But it was gigantor which was necessary due to the tent stuff.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I have a :waxer: leather duffel that I love. Pricey, but quality seems to be there to back the price up. No shoulder strap, handles only, so don’t think you’d be interested in it.

Same company makes some canvas duffels with leather accents, and they come with removable shoulder straps:
https://www.blueclawco.com/collections/ ... ender-dark
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:34 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:29 am

So I was going to ask about these, glad you have one so I can bounce this off you.... What is the advantage to this over a regular wheeled suitcase? IMO the advantage of a duffle is you can shove it anywhere and it will conform to odd shaped objects so you can carry something that otherwise wouldn't really fit in a more rigid sided suitcase. Unpacked they take up zero room and weigh nothing.

The duffel I borrowed for AZ had my tent, bag, pad, kitchen, and all my clothes in it and it only weighed 30 lbs loaded. But it was gigantor which was necessary due to the tent stuff.
It's the best of both worlds because it's half rigid and half soft. The rigid portion is nice to protect things. Even just as simple as glasses, but I've put a computer in it before, and it was fine. A fully soft duffel you'd run a higher risk of breaking things like that. But the top being soft (and you have to remember this if you'd packing fragile things), can smash and mold to tighter areas. I've had it smashed all the way at the back of an overhead to the point where I fit another carry-on in front of it.

PLUS, the handles...it's got handles everywhere, so it's super easy to grab when it's smashed somewhere. Most carry ons just have a handle on top and maybe bottom.

I've carried it by the handles more than I've wheeled it. It's super convenient. It doesn't have a shoulder strap or anything, but I usually have a backpack or something anyway, so I'd never use that anyway.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:46 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:34 am

It's the best of both worlds because it's half rigid and half soft. The rigid portion is nice to protect things. Even just as simple as glasses, but I've put a computer in it before, and it was fine. A fully soft duffel you'd run a higher risk of breaking things like that. But the top being soft (and you have to remember this if you'd packing fragile things), can smash and mold to tighter areas. I've had it smashed all the way at the back of an overhead to the point where I fit another carry-on in front of it.

PLUS, the handles...it's got handles everywhere, so it's super easy to grab when it's smashed somewhere. Most carry ons just have a handle on top and maybe bottom.

I've carried it by the handles more than I've wheeled it. It's super convenient. It doesn't have a shoulder strap or anything, but I usually have a backpack or something anyway, so I'd never use that anyway.
Nice! Sounds like a roller but with some extra advantages then.
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:39 am I have a :waxer: leather duffel that I love. Pricey, but quality seems to be there to back the price up. No shoulder strap, handles only, so don’t think you’d be interested in it.

Same company makes some canvas duffels with leather accents, and they come with removable shoulder straps:
https://www.blueclawco.com/collections/ ... ender-dark
That's nice! Sadly I will probably destroy anything leather.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:55 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:46 am

Nice! Sounds like a roller but with some extra advantages then.
Yea, essentially.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

We bought these last year, held 2 weeks of stuff for France nicely without being huge or heavy. The backpack works great when you're walking around airports/trainstations/cities, you can have all your crap with you but still have two free hands.

https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mot ... d=10183337
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:14 pm We bought these last year, held 2 weeks of stuff for France nicely without being huge or heavy. The backpack works great when you're walking around airports/trainstations/cities, you can have all your crap with you but still have two free hands.

Oh wow, that's really awesome. I'd probably go this route if doing it again since I rarely use the wheels on my bag (it's not that heavy).
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

:triggered:

if it was of airboat design, you wouldnt be seeking out new luggage
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:16 pm
:triggered:

if it was of airboat design, you wouldnt be seeking out new luggage
The handle flew off while I was wheeling it along. When I got it home I ripped the bag's chassis apart and used a bicycle brake cable, anchored that to the chassis, ran the cable through the handle, and secured it back to the chassis. The cable is stainless so that should be fine I guess but the chassis is starting to show some extra wear from it. I think it's time.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:14 pm We bought these last year, held 2 weeks of stuff for France nicely without being huge or heavy. The backpack works great when you're walking around airports/trainstations/cities, you can have all your crap with you but still have two free hands.

Yeah something along those lines would be nice to have. I was looking at these last time I was in REI:
https://www.rei.com/product/884916/pata ... duffel-90l

They have backpack straps on them which makes them rather convenient for the same reasons you mentioned.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I recently just got a small samsonite at Marshalls for a pretty reasonable price. So yeah take a drive into the suburbs and snag one lol. I'll snag a pic in probably couple of days at most.

As for duffel, ive been using an adidas duffle that has one large strap for my shoulder with the padding, been using it for 10 years, great for small trips that takes up a 3-4 days. No rips other than the padding part where theres a piece of cloth stitched so it can stay with the belt.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:32 pm

Oh wow, that's really awesome. I'd probably go this route if doing it again since I rarely use the wheels on my bag (it's not that heavy).
My carry on doesn't have wheels, either. In fact, it was built before wheeled carry ons were even a thing, or at least common. It's 30 years old this year, has been to Europe more than 2 dozen times plus countless domestic trips, and is still good as new. The durability has been :mindblown: It was built by a California company that started out making mountain climbing equipment so all the hardware, zippers, straps, mounting points, handles, and even the little straps inside that you cinch over your clothes are all ridiculously over engineered to military specs. The fabric is even ballistic nylon, basically kevlar so it's never been punctured, ripped, or torn. The fucker is even waterproof. I love this bag so much for the way it was built. It even has yuuge, 2.5 inch wide straps that go around the perimeter that you can cinch shut to squeeze the girth down to pretty much guarantee that it'll fit in one of those luggage size testing things you see at the gate or check in so I've never had to gate check it.

Sadly, the company went out of business several years ago. :(
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.