Camper Chat 1.0

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:22 pm I'm just trying to get some background info on the model. Can't seem to dig up much on the internet - it all sounds good on paper (aluminum frame, steel chassis, tor-flex axle, rear galley kitchen, LED lighting) but is it actually a decent unit? :iono:

I've also found some other cool things too.

This is fucking badass: https://charlotte.craigslist.org/rvs/d/ ... 10075.html
Also :notbad: : https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Teardrop- ... Swx2hdYuLz
Yea, I've never heard of that teardrop company, but I also stopped researching them about a year ago. Everyone's trying to cash into the teardrop craze, so companies are springing up like mad. Which is a bit scary because they'll disappear as quickly and if you need proprietary replacement parts, you're screwed. TBH, that teardrop seems a little too good to be true for the features. Most with that level of equipment are pushing $15-20k, and that's :fullretard:

That one in Charlotte looks rad as hell....but again you deal with parts issues since it's all one-off. It also looks somewhat narrow to me, which sucks for sleeping...and those giant ass tires are doing more for Instagram than utility IMO.

Even though my camper is a Fleetwood that's now out of business, sourcing parts is a breeze since they made so many of them...there's even people reproducing common failure parts. While there's not much that can really break on a teardrop due to simplicity, it's still something to consider IMO. Buying from a larger manufacturer has its benefits.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:19 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:31 am

:notbad: at all.

The pop-ups have some real appeal to me, but need to check some out in person first. Then decide if that or a small TT is the way to go for us. Then I just need a place to store it. :lol:

Oh, if/when you make it out here Rausch Creek has free primitive camping. And AOAA is like 30-45 mins from there so you could hit both parks in a weekend.
Yea, check out some stuff first...see if you can rent stuff too. Would be nice to try before you buy.

Storage is probably the biggest bitch :doe:

Also, I think some people forget about ease of towing. Lower things like pop ups and teardrops are so damned easy to tow, and if you're doing distance 4+ hours away, that makes a big difference with fatigue and whatnot. The only benefit of a TT would be faster setup time, but usable space is less because the bed takes up so much.

Speaking of ease of towing, we were coming home last night and there was a crash reported on the highway causing a massive backup. Android Auto suggested an alt route that a bunch of people started on. Turned out that alt route was closed...entirely for a bridge rebuild. It was a shitshow of people turning around on a tight two-lane road. With the popup, I had full rear visibility and had no problem backing it right into a driveway and off we went in the other direction. Dude behind us in an F-150 with a ~30' TT was sweating bullets trying to figure out how to turn around. Made his SO and kid get out to spot and multiple f-bombs could be heard from him through our open windows.

FUUUUUUUU carting around a giant ass trailer. That's more stress than it's worth IMO.
:word:

I totally get everything you’re saying. Need to head out to a trailer :dillerman: and check some stuff out with the fam.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:09 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:03 pm

:word:

I totally get everything you’re saying. Need to head out to a trailer :dillerman: and check some stuff out with the fam.
FYI, Tori and I are heading to the Hershey RV show on September 12th if you can get the day off.
:ohdang:
I’ll let you know.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I love RV shows. :megusta:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:40 pm One just popped up within 400 miles:
https://www.rvt.com/Ford-BRAXTON-CREEK- ... 2-UX275741
This thing looks great and surprisingly well equipped for $10k.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:59 am
This thing looks great and surprisingly well equipped for $10k.
I know, right?

I want to see one up close to confirm it's not a POS.
:doit: :popcorn:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:42 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:39 am
Hoping one of these will be at the Hershey RV show next Thurs. Switched my days off next week to go.

:popcorn:
:excited:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:18 pm Image
:jimp:
ChrisoftheNorth

The Luna Rover has intrigued me a while. That giant front window looks 5/7.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:53 pm Researching brake controller options for the JKU - surprisingly difficult to find any easy way to install one. Why even offer a max tow package if you're not going to pre-wire for a brake controller?

Anyways, hoping to go with a Redarc TowPro setup. Really like the low-profile nearly-hidden install, and there's no controller screwed into the dash to whack my knees on.

Just need to build my parts list and order it all up.
:dat: is what I’m going to do with my truck. I already have most of the pieces, just need to order up the controller.
:like:
ChrisoftheNorth

Towing is rated at 3.5k lbs, so I imagine the thought is that most people towing responsibly won't need a trailer brake controller.

Which is funny because you usually want trailer brakes on anything over 2k lbs. I really like the trailer brakes on my popup.

I'm probably going to skip messing with the tow vehicle and do this:

https://getautowbrake.com/

This way, I don't have to mess with the JL AND JT if we want to tow the camper with either.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:Towing is rated at 3.5k lbs, so I imagine the thought is that most people towing responsibly won't need a trailer brake controller.

Which is funny because you usually want trailer brakes on anything over 2k lbs. I really like the trailer brakes on my popup.

This way, I don't have to mess with the JL AND JT if we want to tow the camper with either.
Towing any more than 10% of the rated capacity is dangerously irresponsible bro. Get a Peterbilt.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:17 pm
Detroit wrote:Towing is rated at 3.5k lbs, so I imagine the thought is that most people towing responsibly won't need a trailer brake controller.

Towing any more than 10% of the rated capacity is dangerously irresponsible bro. Get a Peterbilt.
Oh, this is a good point. I'm taking my life into my hands by towing with my :jeep: at about 75% capacity.

:thisisfine:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:09 pm Image

:jeep: for scale.

I like it. That's with the 2" lift on the trailer itself. Puts it about dead even with the Jeep.
Gotta be logged in to view the pic. :sad:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:35 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:32 pm

Gotta be logged in to view the pic. :sad:
Fixed!
:megusta: :like:

Should convert the trailer to JK wheels :doe:
Then you can have a bunch of spares. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:31 am RV show was a success. Poked around, sat in, laid in, pushed buttons, opened doors and windows, and contemplated a few things.

Ultimately, though - the Intech wins. Better build quality, lower profile, more interior room, great feature set, fantastic rep presence/dealer attitude at the show.

Just stuck between ordering a new 2020 or going with a leftover 2019. 2020 gets a number of small revisions that I like (connections moved to curbside from front of camper, reinforced rear receiver, higher pitch axle instead of lift blocks, new roof rack with removable cross-bars). 2020 would also be ordered to spec, 6-8 week timeframe (gives me time to sell the :meata: ), and the dealer is awesome thus far. 2019... the dealer is just ok based on my interactions up to now.

2020:
$14200 purchase price, includes lift + awning
$940 tax
$151.50 doc/temp tag
$15291.50 total
+3 hour drive to Jersey Shore, PA

2019:
$11998 purchase price
$1000 for awning + lift
$861 tax
$75 doc/temp
$13934 total
+7 hour drive to Buffalo, NY
A little over a $1k difference. I'd order the new one personally.

:excited: :gonbgud:
Apex

:fuckyeah: [user not found]!

Diff of $1360... I’d probably spec out a ‘20 to my liking at that difference. And save 4 hours of my life.
Apex

:excited:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:46 am Yeah, we decided last night 99% we're going new. I just gotta make the call to the :dillerman:

MSRP deets:
Does that price apply outside of the show :doe: ?

:dillerman:
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:42 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:39 am
Hoping one of these will be at the Hershey RV show next Thurs. Switched my days off next week to go.

:popcorn:
Did you make it out there yesterday?
Last edited by Irish on Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

[user not found] wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:19 pm
Irish wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:16 pm

Did you make it out there yesterday?
Scroll up, m'lord.
:nevermind: Either the :bread: didn't refresh for me or I must have been on the previous page because olde as fuq

I am literally sitting a mile away from the RV show..... cool that it helped you make a decision.....
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

That's a cool little trailer. I would probably go '20 as well for that small difference in price, and saving 8hrs of drive time. They need a new name for that awning though as I can only think of a stretched out scrotum.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:26 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:18 pm That's a cool little trailer. I would probably go '20 as well for that small difference in price, and saving 8hrs of drive time. They need a new name for that awning though as I can only think of a stretched out scrotum.
:lolgasm:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:26 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:18 pm That's a cool little trailer. I would probably go '20 as well for that small difference in price, and saving 8hrs of drive time. They need a new name for that awning though as I can only think of a stretched out scrotum.
Exactly
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:43 pm :dillerman: got back to me, should have the order in on Monday. :fuckyeah:

:meata: has a potential new home lined up already as well.
:nice:

:planetsalign: