Camper Chat 1.0

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:54 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:48 pm

Find a spot that's as level as possible and park it on blocks. At least that's what all the overlanders were doing :iono:

Ah, makes sense.
That’s what we use as well.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

One of my coworkers just bought a Tigermoth, I was checking his out about a month ago and all in all O wasn’t real impressed given the cost.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Dbest wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:29 am One of my coworkers just bought a Tigermoth, I was checking his out about a month ago and all in all O wasn’t real impressed given the cost.
Cleverly designed, but for the price...I just don't see it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Dbest wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:29 am One of my coworkers just bought a Tigermoth, I was checking his out about a month ago and all in all O wasn’t real impressed given the cost.
Dang. Yeah they’re not cheap either.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

He bought his used for like 10K! No fuckin way.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I really like the idea of truck bed campers. Prefer the idea to a small RV because you can leave the camper and pull the truck out to go somewhere.

https://www.amlrv.com/eagle-cap-truck-c ... oor-plans/
ChrisoftheNorth

Dbest wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:14 pm He bought his used for like 10K! No fuckin way.
They're easily double that new. Insanity.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:51 pm I really like the idea of truck bed campers. Prefer the idea to a small RV because you can leave the camper and pull the truck out to go somewhere.

Yea, neat for sure...but your vehicle is stuck at your camping location once camp is setup...unless you want to tear down camp to go somewhere. That's a :nope: for me.
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:51 pm I really like the idea of truck bed campers. Prefer the idea to a small RV because you can leave the camper and pull the truck out to go somewhere.

Depends on what you want to do camp wise but yeah these are cool. You can't leave it at a campsite so that kind of sucks. But if you're constantly on the move it would work well.

There are off road ones too, Four Wheel Campers (traditional truck bed pop top) and Go Fast Campers (RTT sort of thing) make good ones. There are a few others too.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:28 am

Depends on what you want to do camp wise but yeah these are cool. You can't leave it at a campsite so that kind of sucks. But if you're constantly on the move it would work well.

There are off road ones too, Four Wheel Campers (traditional truck bed pop top) and Go Fast Campers (RTT sort of thing) make good ones. There are a few others too.
These sort of campers only make sense for actual overlanding IMO. When you're on the move and just making camp for the night to continue moving in the AM. There's pretty much nowhere to do this east of the Mississippi :doe:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:32 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:28 am

These sort of campers only make sense for actual overlanding IMO. When you're on the move and just making camp for the night to continue moving in the AM. There's pretty much nowhere to do this east of the Mississippi :doe:
I've set up camp at state parks in PA and not touched my car for 2-3 nights. :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:45 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:32 am
I've set up camp at state parks in PA and not touched my car for 2-3 nights. :iono:
Guess it depends what you like to do when you camp and/or where you are. We usually take off to find a hiking trail or some sort of :neat: local thing. I can't recall a trip where we didn't take the truck somewhere after setting up camp.

Our biggest thing is actually sourcing firewood...we'll set up camp then take off to find firewood in the truck. Way easier when the bed isn't full of stuff and now with the trailer in tow.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I've seen plenty with built in stilts so you can pull the truck out from underneath to drive somewhere
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:11 am I've seen plenty with built in stilts so you can pull the truck out from underneath to drive somewhere
I saw this during our last camping trip. Pretty :neat: IMO...and seems like it would be pretty simple to setup.

Still not as aero as towing a popup, but should be easier to maneuver than towing a trailer.
ChrisoftheNorth

My dad also told me last night that he wants to buy an old GMC Motorhome to see the country in. I made the argument with him that I've made here many times about motorhomes, but he seems pretty set on it. The GMC motorhomes were pretty neat. They're FWD (using the olds toronado powertrain), so they're rather low to the ground...not as tall and wide as modern motorhomes, should be pretty easy to maneuver. He was talking about getting a TJ to tow behind it.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:35 am My dad also told me last night that he wants to buy an old GMC Motorhome to see the country in. I made the argument with him that I've made here many times about motorhomes, but he seems pretty set on it. The GMC motorhomes were pretty neat. They're FWD (using the olds toronado powertrain), so they're rather low to the ground...not as tall and wide as modern motorhomes, should be pretty easy to maneuver. He was talking about getting a TJ to tow behind it.
Ain't nothin wrong with a reasonably sized used motorhome as a retirement vehicle. Fits everywhere, can stop anywhere, uses regular truck parts in the drivetrain, and everything on them is fairly easy to DIY when you have all the time in the world.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:40 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:35 am My dad also told me last night that he wants to buy an old GMC Motorhome to see the country in. I made the argument with him that I've made here many times about motorhomes, but he seems pretty set on it. The GMC motorhomes were pretty neat. They're FWD (using the olds toronado powertrain), so they're rather low to the ground...not as tall and wide as modern motorhomes, should be pretty easy to maneuver. He was talking about getting a TJ to tow behind it.
Ain't nothin wrong with a reasonably sized used motorhome as a retirement vehicle. Fits everywhere, can stop anywhere, uses regular truck parts in the drivetrain, and everything on them is fairly easy to DIY when you have all the time in the world.
This is the exact argument he made. Apparently nice ones are less than $20k...
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:megusta:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:52 am
We'll see if he goes through with it. Told me to keep on the lookout for one.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:16 am
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:52 am

Did he give any reasoning why he specifically wanted a TJ?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:32 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:11 am I've seen plenty with built in stilts so you can pull the truck out from underneath to drive somewhere
I saw this during our last camping trip. Pretty :neat: IMO...and seems like it would be pretty simple to setup.

Still not as aero as towing a popup, but should be easier to maneuver than towing a trailer.
Yes I would get something like that if I also wanted to tow a boat or another trailer behind the truck.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:34 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:16 am
Small and coil sprung.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:47 am
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:34 am

Small and coil sprung.
:notbad: Just curious, now back to our regularly scheduled camper chat.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:40 am Ain't nothin wrong with a reasonably sized used motorhome as a retirement vehicle. Fits everywhere, can stop anywhere, uses regular truck parts in the drivetrain, and everything on them is fairly easy to DIY when you have all the time in the world.
This is the exact argument he made. Apparently nice ones are less than $20k...
:word:

Motorhomes are not a bad deal if you have time and are handy enough to deal with them. We had a few that worked out well for going to national kart races where you are at the track for the better part of a week and practice starts at 730AM. Roll out of bed at 720 and throw your helmet on, zero to :stig: in 10 minutes.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:16 pm
Detroit wrote: This is the exact argument he made. Apparently nice ones are less than $20k...
:word:

Motorhomes are not a bad deal if you have time and are handy enough to deal with them. We had a few that worked out well for going to national kart races where you are at the track for the better part of a week and practice starts at 730AM. Roll out of bed at 720 and throw your helmet on, zero to :stig: in 10 minutes.
:notbad: