Pinshitting Glamper

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Mentioned this in OT, here's the thread.

Wife and I love camping. It was one of the first things we did when we met 8 years ago, and we've been in a tent the entire time. We've played with the idea of a camper on and off for years. Ideally we wanted a teardrop, but those things are stupid pricey. Then we discovered the dirt cheapness of a used popup camper. Decided to start looking over the winter when people wanted them gone, and finally found this beauty with an old guy that just wanted it gone:

2006 Fleetwood Sea Pine. Includes a king bed in the front, a full in the back, with a lounge and dinette. Also a furnace, water heater, and outdoor shower.

Picked the nasty bitch up for $2k, probably going to spend another $500 sprucing it up. First thing is a good cleaning. The numbers on the front are just some old grease pen, they wipe off easily. Most of the grunge of the thing is just dirt, it'll look great when clean. Planning on popping it up next week to start work on it, so more photos then.

Wife has gone full blown :pinshit: on the thing, examples below.

This thing is our exact model:
https://www.dreamingofhomemaking.com/bl ... per-reveal

:gaydance: :popcorn:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:megusta:
:fullretard: level of :pinshit: right there. Hardly seems like camping any more but also looks like a fun project for you 2 to do together.

#wapapproved :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:40 am :megusta:
:fullretard: level of :pinshit: right there. Hardly seems like camping any more but also looks like a fun project for you 2 to do together.

:fuckyeah: :wap: approval!

Still no AC, and power will be limited to just running the heater and some LED lights. It'll still be camping, just in a bit more comfort.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:fuckyeah:
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:43 am
wap wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:40 am :megusta:

Still no AC, and power will be limited to just running the heater and some LED lights. It'll still be camping, just in a bit more comfort.
:lol:

Well, perhaps it's still camping, but certainly not roughing it any more. Not criticizing in any way mind you, and with the on board heat it'll let you expand "camping" season earlier in the spring and later into the fall, which is :like:

Dumb question. What's this thing weigh, and, thinking down the road a bit, will a Gladiator be able to tow it no problem?
Apex

wap wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:51 am

Well, perhaps it's still camping, but certainly not roughing it any more. Not criticizing in any way mind you, and with the on board heat it'll let you expand "camping" season earlier in the spring and later into the fall, which is :like:

Dumb question. What's this thing weigh, and, thinking down the road a bit, will a Gladiator be able to tow it no problem?
These things weigh nothing, a Gladiator won't even know it's behind it.
ChrisoftheNorth

Expanding the camping season was a huge consideration. We also had 2 camping trips rained out last year...we can just take this instead and if it rains, we'll have fun inside the camper.

It weighs 2,500 lbs...heavier than you'd expect, but not that bad. A Gladiator won't notice it...my ZR2 barely did towing it home yesterday.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

the :scrooge: in me is impressed. Same story on wanting a tear drop but searching other options.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

My dad bought one of these when I was a kid and didn't tell my mom. She was furious and made him sell it asap. Till then we camped in the back yard here and there for a couple of weeks. It was pretty awesome as a beater. He didn't have the will power or fucks to give to clean it up and fix all the little things that could of made it worth a damn, but if I had one of these now it would be cool to have for getting out there. I'm used to primitive camping from going on motorcycle trips with buddies and not having anything but a tent and having to make with whatever we can find. But one of these is great because you can kind of get out there quick with minimal prep. You've also got a truck/car you can shove shit in so you don't have to worry about doing shit to the camper.

Just make sure it's got no leaks and clean it up and it'll be pimp. I think the only negative is storing it
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

my FIL had one like this where the top failed and wouldn't close correctly or was stuck closed and couldn't open. I heard some horror stories but he is also pretty ham fisted. :iuno:

for your cost of entry i'd give it a go.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:57 am the :scrooge: in me is impressed. Same story on wanting a tear drop but searching other options.
Teardrops are :fullretard: expensive. It makes absolutely zero sense that you can buy a full 25 foot trailer for the price of a dinky teardrop. I don't get it.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:59 am My dad bought one of these when I was a kid and didn't tell my mom. She was furious and made him sell it asap. Till then we camped in the back yard here and there for a couple of weeks. It was pretty awesome as a beater. He didn't have the will power or fucks to give to clean it up and fix all the little things that could of made it worth a damn, but if I had one of these now it would be cool to have for getting out there. I'm used to primitive camping from going on motorcycle trips with buddies and not having anything but a tent and having to make with whatever we can find. But one of these is great because you can kind of get out there quick with minimal prep. You've also got a truck/car you can shove shit in so you don't have to worry about doing shit to the camper.

Just make sure it's got no leaks and clean it up and it'll be pimp. I think the only negative is storing it
Yep, no leaks...I looked hard for that. It really just need a good cleaning and refresh. The mechanical systems haven't been used in a while, so we'll see what I can get working. All I really care about is the furnace. The water systems aren't a big deal to me.

Storing it is going to suck a bit. Going to leave it in the driveway this summer and maybe find some place to park it for the winter with a cover over it. We'll see.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:02 am my FIL had one like this where the top failed and wouldn't close correctly or was stuck closed and couldn't open. I heard some horror stories but he is also pretty ham fisted. :iuno:

for your cost of entry i'd give it a go.
The lifting mechanism is simple, but needs regular lubrication/maintenance. Mine goes up and down rather easily, but I'm going to go through it anyway to make sure it's reliable.

These things are stupid cheap. If you want a camper, it's worth looking for one.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

:neat:
brain go brrrrrr
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Best of luck/times with this Chris. I'm :jelly: I wish we would have been in a position to do that camping lyfestyle when my kids were younger......
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:54 am

Expanding the camping season was a huge consideration. We also had 2 camping trips rained out last year...we can just take this instead and if it rains, we'll have fun inside the camper.

It weighs 2,500 lbs...heavier than you'd expect, but not that bad. A Gladiator won't notice it...my ZR2 barely did towing it home yesterday.
:nice:
I assume this thing is much more rain-proof than a regular tent so that's a good point in its favor as well.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

:impressive:

I didn't expect 2 big beds in something that small. Will you keep both or punt one to give some more space?

Also :lolol: at the :pinshit: example. Looks like they have (at least) $500 in bedding alone...
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:32 pm :impressive:

I didn't expect 2 big beds in something that small. Will you keep both or punt one to give some more space?

Also :lolol: at the :pinshit: example. Looks like they have (at least) $500 in bedding alone...
The most expensive part is going to be recovering the cushions...that will likely be nearly $500 alone.

All the other stuff we already have. Wife has done so much Pinshitting in the house over the years that all this stuff exists in boxes in the basement. Bedding, curtains, decorations, mugs, etc. I have enough scraps from other projects to do the floor, paint the cabinets white, and redo the table.
ChrisoftheNorth

And the beds fold out...they take up no space when it's setup.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:29 pm And the beds fold out...they take up no space when it's setup.
Your beds pull out.

But i don't.

:megusta:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

What does the furnace run on? Propane? 110V or 12V?

Electrical and water systems are easy as hell on these things. If something needs to be replaced it's not a big deal and generally really cheap.

Looks good to me. Check the date stamp on the tires, they can be a bitch to find if you're away from civilization and need to replace one. Ask me how I know.

@troy the cabinets fold down inside and the beds slide in on top of everything. When you crank the top you pull the beds out and off of stuff. They don't really take up any room inside. Also, we comfortably fit a family of 6 in ours.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:28 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:32 pm :impressive:

The most expensive part is going to be recovering the cushions...that will likely be nearly $500 alone.

All the other stuff we already have. Wife has done so much Pinshitting in the house over the years that all this stuff exists in boxes in the basement. Bedding, curtains, decorations, mugs, etc. I have enough scraps from other projects to do the floor, paint the cabinets white, and redo the table.
Does it have an awning? I heartily recommend an awning if it doesn't have it. Get a little outdoor rug thing to put under it too. Really helps with the vibe, and the awning/rug thing helps keep your floors cleaner. Our camper floor was disgusting after about 10 minutes at camp every single time.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:28 pm

Does it have an awning? I heartily recommend an awning if it doesn't have it. Get a little outdoor rug thing to put under it too. Really helps with the vibe, and the awning/rug thing helps keep your floors cleaner. Our camper floor was disgusting after about 10 minutes at camp every single time.
:notbad:

I like these ideas.
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:54 am

:nice:
I assume this thing is much more rain-proof than a regular tent so that's a good point in its favor as well.
Ehhh
Don't touch the canvas walls if its raining.
Apex

I've never really looked at popups before, maybe I should?