Pinshitting Glamper

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

The glamper makes me want to look at a pop-up like this, instead of a full travel trailer.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:15 pm The glamper makes me want to look at a pop-up like this, instead of a full travel trailer.
Other than ease of setting up and a separate bathroom, I don't see why anyone would want a travel trailer over a popup. Travel trailers are tough to store (popup can go in garage or anywhere), tougher to tow, and can require more maintenance due to size.

Plus, used popups are cheap AF. Ours was $2k, I've spend another $300 or so in random shit getting it fixed up, and all it "needs" is cleaning and use now. It's a great way to test the waters of owning such a thing because if you end up not liking it for whatever reason, you can easily sell it and recoup most if not all of your investment.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:32 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:15 pm The glamper makes me want to look at a pop-up like this, instead of a full travel trailer.
Other than ease of setting up and a separate bathroom, I don't see why anyone would want a travel trailer over a popup. Travel trailers are tough to store (popup can go in garage or anywhere), tougher to tow, and can require more maintenance due to size.

Plus, used popups are cheap AF. Ours was $2k, I've spend another $300 or so in random shit getting it fixed up, and all it "needs" is cleaning and use now. It's a great way to test the waters of owning such a thing because if you end up not liking it for whatever reason, you can easily sell it and recoup most if not all of your investment.
I discovered RVshare.com a week or so ago and will be looking at renting a trailer for a week or whatever sometime. Wifey's on-board with that plan too. Test out the waters for a few hundo and see if it is something we can see ourselves using on a regular basis.

Like you, we want a nice home-base for our other activities while we are out camping. Whether that be hiking, off-roading, scuba diving, whatever.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:55 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:32 pm

I discovered RVshare.com a week or so ago and will be looking at renting a trailer for a week or whatever sometime. Wifey's on-board with that plan too. Test out the waters for a few hundo and see if it is something we can see ourselves using on a regular basis.

Like you, we want a nice home-base for our other activities while we are out camping. Whether that be hiking, off-roading, scuba diving, whatever.
Ohhhh renting is an option? That's great! Totally worth trying out a few things to see if it works.

We love the popup as a basecamp. Works great for that purpose.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:00 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:55 pm

Ohhhh renting is an option? That's great! Totally worth trying out a few things to see if it works.

It's like AirBnB for campers... You can get RV's or travel trailers. I saw one sweet NoBoundaries model from Forest River there that was getting excellent reviews. That's more of a RTT setup on a trailer doe.

AC is still a want for me, either way I go. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:03 pm

It's like AirBnB for campers... You can get RV's or travel trailers. I saw one sweet NoBoundaries model from Forest River there that was getting excellent reviews. That's more of a RTT setup on a trailer doe.

Well...remember that AC (as far as I can find) requires 120V to run. Which means only camping at places with electric hook-up or dragging a generator along (if one isn't built in). We're used to camping without AC, so it's no difference for me.

I also feel strongly about being able to stand up in what I have. We tented for years in things I couldn't stand up in, and I found that frustrating over time. I think I'd feel the same way about a teardrop or these new adventure trailers like the NoBoundaries (the short ones with an RTT). That thing makes no sense to me...why not just buy a cheapass utility trailer, add some storage cabinetsto it, and throw an RTT on top?
Granted, the RTT costs about the same as an entire used popup. :lolol:
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:11 pm

Well...remember that AC (as far as I can find) requires 120V to run. Which means only camping at places with electric hook-up or dragging a generator along (if one isn't built in). We're used to camping without AC, so it's no difference for me.

I also feel strongly about being able to stand up in what I have. We tented for years in things I couldn't stand up in, and I found that frustrating over time. I think I'd feel the same way about a teardrop or these new adventure trailers like the NoBoundaries (the short ones with an RTT). That thing makes no sense to me...why not just buy a cheapass utility trailer, add some storage cabinetsto it, and throw an RTT on top?
Yeah, so when I found out that I could rent different options I was all :excited:
Depending on how the ol' job situation plays out we might get to start trying some stuff out later this year.

Edit: We'll also have the munchkin tagging along with us the vast majority of the times we go, so we'd probably see a lot of campground/hook-up availability.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:11 pm

Yeah, so when I found out that I could rent different options I was all :excited:
Depending on how the ol' job situation plays out we might get to start trying some stuff out later this year.

Edit: We'll also have the munchkin tagging along with us the vast majority of the times we go, so we'd probably see a lot of campground/hook-up availability.
Yea, it's really awesome that you can start trying stuff out to see what you like.

IMO, the point of a camper is to get off the grid. Some of these campgrounds with RVs smashed together with no space makes ZERO sense to me, and most with hookups seem to be this way.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:20 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:16 pm

Yea, it's really awesome that you can start trying stuff out to see what you like.

IMO, the point of a camper is to get off the grid. Some of these campgrounds with RVs smashed together with no space makes ZERO sense to me, and most with hookups seem to be this way.
I need to go back and look at the layouts of a few of the campgrounds we've used in the past. Some were certainly more crowded than others.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:24 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:20 pm

I need to go back and look at the layouts of a few of the campgrounds we've used in the past. Some were certainly more crowded than others.
Pay really close attention when booking to find one with space between the sites and hookups. Nothing is worse than being on top of others when they decide to rage all night long and you just want to sleep so you can wake up and hike in the morning.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

We had AC on our pop up. We bought it in Texas though. We used it, but not as often as you may think. A heater of some sort would have been a better buy. Keep in mind, as you go away from city centers and into the forests the temperatures go down pretty rapidly.

I like the rent-a-camper idea. If you have nowhere to park something you could just do that.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:20 pm

We had AC on our pop up. We bought it in Texas though. We used it, but not as often as you may think. A heater of some sort would have been a better buy. Keep in mind, as you go away from city centers and into the forests the temperatures go down pretty rapidly.

I like the rent-a-camper idea. If you have nowhere to park something you could just do that.
Good points :wasteful:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Having always tent camped, I can’t think of many times at all where I was wanting for an AC.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:39 pm Having always tent camped, I can’t think of many times at all where I was wanting for an AC.
Yea, it's rare from our experience too.

The heater :doe: That's incredible.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

SAWCE wrote:Having always tent camped, I can’t think of many times at all where I was wanting for an AC.
Look where you live :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:50 pm
SAWCE wrote:Having always tent camped, I can’t think of many times at all where I was wanting for an AC.
The desert?

I've been hotter camping in CA than I can recall in Michigan.
SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:50 pm
:iono: I’ve camped once in the 4 years I’ve lived in San Diego.

You forget I’m from the Mojave desert. Most of my camping was done in the summer in somewhat nearby mountains. Quick weekend trips were done to Red Rock Canyon like 45 minutes away. If we wanted to go further than that it was usually up a little further to Bishop. The elevation in the mountains helps the temps for sure, but unless you’re camping in Joshua Tree or Death Valley, I just don’t see an AC being necessary.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:00 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:50 pm Look where you live :doe:
The desert?

Brandon no longer lives in the desert, he lives in San Diego, which is most temperate year round climate in the U.S.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

SAWCE wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:50 pm Look where you live :doe:

You forget I’m from the Mojave desert. Most of my camping was done in the summer in somewhat nearby mountains. Quick weekend trips were done to Red Rock Canyon like 45 minutes away. If we wanted to go further than that it was usually up a little further to Bishop. The elevation in the mountains helps the temps for sure, but unless you’re camping in Joshua Tree or Death Valley, I just don’t see an AC being necessary.
Try sleeping when it's 80+F with 100% humidity, like it is in the summer away from the best coast.

Deserts are dry and cool at night.
SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:48 pm
SAWCE wrote:

Try sleeping when it's 80+F with 100% humidity, like it is in the summer away from the best coast.

You’ve definitely got me beat with the humidity. No argument there, I start hating life at anything over 50-60%.. but not every summer night is cool in the desert. It’s not uncommon for temps to stay above 90° all night where I’m from.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:40 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:00 pm
The desert?

Brandon no longer lives in the desert, he lives in San Diego, which is most temperate year round climate in the U.S.
Yea...but any camping he does will essentially be desert. Don't have to go too far east from SD to hit desert. Anza Borrego, etc.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:17 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:48 pm Try sleeping when it's 80+F with 100% humidity, like it is in the summer away from the best coast.

You’ve definitely got me beat with the humidity. No argument there, I start hating life at anything over 50-60%.. but not every summer night is cool in the desert. It’s not uncommon for temps to stay above 90° all night where I’m from.
Yep, we did some trips in the desert where it didn't get below 90 at night. Pretty brutal to sleep in.

The hottest we've seen camping in MI at night is mid 70's and high humidity. Not ideal, but there's usually a breeze, and we like to stay near lakes which feel incredible to jump into before bed and then again in the morning when you wake up. It's all about making the best of a situation.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

no pics yet?

:disappoint:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:07 am no pics yet?

Bottom of page 3 bro.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:12 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:07 am no pics yet?

Bottom of page 3 bro.
:like:
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:33 am For the glamper's maiden voyage (with us), we went to a state park 2.5 hours from our house, about 40 minutes north of Grand Rapids. The state park has a lake (they call it a pond for some reason) that was the result of damming the Muskegon river, and there's no houses or anything on it. It's the middle of nowhere, and I loved it.

My phone died, so I didn't take any photos myself. Wife did, but there aren't many...

Arrival...it's pretty grungy looking outside, we're going to start an exterior restoration soon. Sand blasting and repainting rusty parts, replacing decals, etc. My new :ramz: look dirty because something happened with the hub and it let some grease go. I need to dig into that...

Setup...The awning bag needs to be cleaned badly, didn't notice this until the awning was up. Also missing some poles to the awning, which I'll need to work on replacing.

Inside...

The galley is awesome. Stove works great for making coffee in the AM, also cooked veggies on it for dinner. Hot and cold water work great and are game changing for doing dishes. The seals in the cartridges in the faucet seemed to have dried out and leak a bit when turning the water on...an improved glamper faucet will be installed soon.

Front bed (about king size)...

Rear bed (full almost queen size)...

It rained a lot of Saturday, so we spent time inside...us and our 2 friends that came along. The seating inside is fantastic...a couch type thing in front of the front bed, and the dinette seating in front of the rear. We played cards, but :drunk: and had a blast. Overall, the glamper did excellent. Completely different experience from tent camping, but still has the fun part of tent camping (big windows, etc), and we're already excited about the next trip in a few weeks.

Here's the pond/lake that was a short hike from our site...

:notbad:
brain go brrrrrr