Pinshitting Glamper

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:23 am This has made me look into a hardside popup - generally cheaper than a teardrop on the pre-owned market. And more secure than a soft-sided one.

:math:
Yea, looked at those briefly, but they really restrict the area to walk around inside.

What are you worried about re: security?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:32 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:30 am
Yea, looked at those briefly, but they really restrict the area to walk around inside.

Leaving stuff behind if using as a base camp, really.

Plus less noise inside, less moisture, holds in the heat better.

It's a decent happy medium. I just want a quieter, dryer place to sleep than a tent.
I'm surprised how well the fabric keeps heat and sound in...it's quite a bit thicker than a tent, and the vinyl windows are rather thick as well. We had rain almost all of Saturday and moisture wasn't an issue at all. The tops of the bed slide outs are a really thick coated material that doesn't let water though...touching it when it was soaked was no different than when it's dry. Nothing like the tent we've been using for a while. I was actually very impressed with it.

We keep nothing of value in the camper though. That's the only catch I guess. I keep my wallet, phone, and any other valuable locked in the truck.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

One concern I would have with the soft-sided pop-ups would be if we wanted to keep the :doge: s in the camper for some reason. I wouldn't want them to chew/claw their way through a side and run off.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:15 am One concern I would have with the soft-sided pop-ups would be if we wanted to keep the :doge: s in the camper for some reason. I wouldn't want them to chew/claw their way through a side and run off.
Holy hell, that would be one determined :dog: They'd have to sit up on one of the beds and go to town on the canvas. Certainly possible, but dang. It would probably destroy a hard sided camper too (but not get out) if it was that determined.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:30 am

It's a decent happy medium. I just want a quieter, dryer place to sleep than a tent.
Two trailers I saw on my trip got me thinking.

One was an A frame pop up hard sided that looked pretty neat. Dude packed it down in about 5 mins. Looked really secure. I have no idea how they are for us tall folk inside.

Other was a No Boundaries toy hauler teardrop thing. Had a pull out kitchen and an awning on the side. Big garage ramp on back. So a secure hard side place for the bikes during the day and a hard side nice place to sleep at night. Got to be quieter and darker than a tent. You’re just making all meals outside the thing so if it’s cold that may not be so fantastic cooking breakfast or something.

I dunno. Both looked neat.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:15 am One concern I would have with the soft-sided pop-ups would be if we wanted to keep the :doge: s in the camper for some reason. I wouldn't want them to chew/claw their way through a side and run off.
I could see my butthead dog getting triggered at another dog or a squirrel or something and destroying a canvas sided thing.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:26 am

One was an A frame pop up hard sided that looked pretty neat. Dude packed it down in about 5 mins. Looked really secure. I have no idea how they are for us tall folk inside.

Other was a No Boundaries toy hauler teardrop thing. Had a pull out kitchen and an awning on the side. Big garage ramp on back. So a secure hard side place for the bikes during the day and a hard side nice place to sleep at night. Got to be quieter and darker than a tent. You’re just making all meals outside the thing so if it’s cold that may not be so fantastic cooking breakfast or something.

The a frames do look neat, but man...there's just no space to walk around for us tall dudes. We checked one out a few years ago...it wouldn't work for me. Our tent was bigger inside.

The No Boundaries things are certainly onto something. My biggest issue is inability to stand up inside and still somewhat limited space. You can keep your gear inside, or sleep inside...not really both. So you either put an RTT on the top...which is :butwhy: to me, or your stuff sleeps outside while you sleep inside...more :butwhy:

PLUS an inside galley is so incredible. I love coffee in the morning, and waking up in the warm camper and getting coffee going on the stove before stepping outside is fantastic.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:28 am
I could see my butthead dog getting triggered at another dog or a squirrel or something and destroying a canvas sided thing.
We kept the windows zipped when our :doge: was laying on the beds. She had no idea what was going on outside to get :triggered: by.

But I could see a hyper dog having issues in a soft popup. In that situation, I'd just take it everywhere with me. Isn't that the point of having such a thing?
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:33 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:26 am

The a frames do look neat, but man...there's just no space to walk around for us tall dudes. We checked one out a few years ago...it wouldn't work for me. Our tent was bigger inside.

The No Boundaries things are certainly onto something. My biggest issue is inability to stand up inside and still somewhat limited space. You can keep your gear inside, or sleep inside...not really both. So you either put an RTT on the top...which is :butwhy: to me, or your stuff sleeps outside while you sleep inside...more :butwhy:

PLUS an inside galley is so incredible. I love coffee in the morning, and waking up in the warm camper and getting coffee going on the stove before stepping outside is fantastic.
Oh yeah totally. If you're going to tow something you may as well be able to stand in it. Just thought the nobo toy hauler looked cool, and could be a neat alternative.

I dunno I think that could be pretty good. I'd only be inside if I were sleeping, about to go to sleep, or maybe if it was raining, but still decent room to lounge around plus with the awning even rain isn't a big deal. Eh. Pluses and minuses I guess. Not like you're storing your mountain bikes inside your pop up at night anyway.

Agree on making coffee in a warm space. Making coffee outside in 30F temps on my trip was.... fine... but would have been better if I were cozy and in my PJs.
Apex

They make a couple different NoBo trailers too. I think one is coming up to the size of a smaller travel trailer, so you can have the amenities you want, like being able to make your coffee inside with some interior storage still.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:26 am They do make A-frame popups with pop-outs.

Also I'm not quite as tall as Herr Dplac though. Only 5'11-6'.
Ah! That looks cool. Yeah for 2 people plus doge that seems pretty reasonable. I'd be happy in there.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:26 am They do make A-frame popups with pop-outs.

Also I'm not quite as tall as Herr Dplac though. Only 5'11-6'.
Oh, hm. :notbad:

At 6'5", I can't fit in much. I don't have to duck in our camper, but it's a tight fit.
ChrisoftheNorth

The biggest issue to me with all of these things is the cost of entry. I think campers are insanely overpriced these days. People must be buying them with obscene loans or something to keep the prices up.

Soft popups have been made for decades in big volumes, so finding used cheap ones is easy. I can't imagine paying much more than $5k for a camper, it's just not worth that much to me. There's pretty much nothing on the market at or below that price anymore.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:31 am They make a couple different NoBo trailers too. I think one is coming up to the size of a smaller travel trailer, so you can have the amenities you want, like being able to make your coffee inside with some interior storage still.
Yeah. I mean it's just a question of gas mileage and weight at that point. A hard side full height trailer would be great to tour around with, if it doesn't drain the bank account. But even our Expedition and F-150 would feel the impact of just a pop up MPG wise. The weight wasn't much of an issue as both had V8s. Beats me, been so long since we had a trailer and a truck that I can't remember the details or nuances of the setup.

Some of these gigantor trailers I saw on my trip though. Holy balls. 5th wheels over diesel half tons that HAD to be struggling to get 9 MPG.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:39 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:37 am The biggest issue to me with all of these things is the cost of entry. I think campers are insanely overpriced these days. People must be buying them with obscene loans or something to keep the prices up.

Soft popups have been made for decades in big volumes, so finding used cheap ones is easy. I can't imagine paying much more than $5k for a camper, it's just not worth that much to me. There's pretty much nothing on the market at or below that price anymore.
:dat:

I've seen some hardside popups for 5-6k on the pre-owned market, which isn't bad at all.
That seems reasonable I think.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:39 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:37 am The biggest issue to me with all of these things is the cost of entry. I think campers are insanely overpriced these days. People must be buying them with obscene loans or something to keep the prices up.

:dat:

I've seen some hardside popups for 5-6k on the pre-owned market, which isn't bad at all.
Oh word? That's legit :notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:40 am
Apex wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:31 am They make a couple different NoBo trailers too. I think one is coming up to the size of a smaller travel trailer, so you can have the amenities you want, like being able to make your coffee inside with some interior storage still.
Yeah. I mean it's just a question of gas mileage and weight at that point. A hard side full height trailer would be great to tour around with, if it doesn't drain the bank account. But even our Expedition and F-150 would feel the impact of just a pop up MPG wise. The weight wasn't much of an issue as both had V8s. Beats me, been so long since we had a trailer and a truck that I can't remember the details or nuances of the setup.

Some of these gigantor trailers I saw on my trip though. Holy balls. 5th wheels over diesel half tons that HAD to be struggling to get 9 MPG.
I really wouldn't want to tow a full-size travel trailer. The popup is awesome because the top of it is just about level with the bed, so I maintain full rearward visibility, making it really easy to maneuver and back up...and there's obvious aero advantages...still got 18mpg doing 70-75mph the entire time, which is quite a bit better than I expected.
Apex

I want a 20' trailer with dual axles, not so easy to find. :sad:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:02 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:59 am I want a 20' trailer with dual axles, not so easy to find. :sad:
Why dual axles?
They tow about a million times better than single axles; can back up easier, track straighter. And if you have a blow-out you have a second tire on that side to handle the weight so you can get to the shoulder.

EDIT: I've found some higher end ones that have dual axles in the shorter lengths. Will look into others as well.
I've found a couple Apex trailers that could fit the bill too.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:53 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:48 am
I really wouldn't want to tow a full-size travel trailer. The popup is awesome because the top of it is just about level with the bed, so I maintain full rearward visibility, making it really easy to maneuver and back up...and there's obvious aero advantages...still got 18mpg doing 70-75mph the entire time, which is quite a bit better than I expected.
That's awesome.

My parents do the whole 33' trailer with a big F-350 dually - went to Nashville on Sunday and will be back in a week and a half.

I don't want to do that.
I don't get that lyfe. Why not just stay in hotels wherever you want to go? Probably the same price at the end of it all.

If I want to camp, I'm camping. Not bringing my second home with me.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Hotels add up quickly and don't exist everywhere. F-350 and giant trailer is still overkill but I'm definitely into the idea of a full size van as a camper that tows the racecar/bikes/whatever in a small enclosed trailer.

The ability to stop and sleep anywhere for free is really nice, especially on long road trips.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:07 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:03 pm

They tow about a million times better than single axles; can back up easier, track straighter. And if you have a blow-out you have a second tire on that side to handle the weight so you can get to the shoulder.

EDIT: I've found some higher end ones that have dual axles in the shorter lengths. Will look into others as well.
I've found a couple Apex trailers that could fit the bill too.
Ah, true.

I was thinking from a weight/complexity standpoint. Less moving parts and unsprung weight = better.
Man...my popup tows REALLY nice. Hard to tell it's there. Even backing up isn't bad...the width makes it hard to make small adjustments in path when reversing, but I'm used to it by now. I'm not sure I'd prioritize a dual axle because of complexity. 4 wheels, 4 tires, 4 hubs. Popup has a spare tire on the back for flats...blowouts are really only a risk if you're not a diligent person. I know how old my tires are (I replaced them), visually inspect the trailer tires and hubs at each stop, check air pressure and adjust before departing every time.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:07 pm Hotels add up quickly and don't exist everywhere. F-350 and giant trailer is still overkill but I'm definitely into the idea of a full size van as a camper that tows the racecar/bikes/whatever in a small enclosed trailer.

The ability to stop and sleep anywhere for free is really nice, especially on long road trips.
My point is that if you must have a giant trailer, just stay in hotels. Those trailers are usually pushing $100k...that's a shitload of hotels.

A van or small camper that allows sleeping anywhere and the camping experience is exactly what I invested in. I love it.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:04 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:01 pm
I don't get that lyfe. Why not just stay in hotels wherever you want to go? Probably the same price at the end of it all.

If I want to camp, I'm camping. Not bringing my second home with me.
Can't have a campfire in a hotel? :iono:

Well, you could... but :narc: would be there in a hurry.
Those RV parks are my definition of hell. "Sites" are usually on top of each other more like a parking lot than a camp ground, the only scenery you see is the hideous gaudy splash graphics on the side of other RVs. Camp fire or not, that's a hard no for me dawg.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:11 pm If the wife ever enjoyed mountain biking as much as I do, it'd be great to just travel and ride and camp.

But she doesn't. :(
Are there other things she likes to do outside?

My wife isn't into MTB either, but if we're going to somewhere that has good trails, I'll bring my bike and ride while she hangs out at the site reading, or goes for a hike or swim, or something. She loves just being outside, so it works well for us.