Pinshitting Glamper

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:51 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:49 pm

Does it have an awning? I heartily recommend an awning if it doesn't have it. Get a little outdoor rug thing to put under it too. Really helps with the vibe, and the awning/rug thing helps keep your floors cleaner. Our camper floor was disgusting after about 10 minutes at camp every single time.
:notbad:

I like these ideas.
The other fun thing with the awning, many times these campers have an outdoor stove hookup. We use the fuck outta that. Awning lets it happen even if its raining or you parked under trees that are shitting leaves and sap on you.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:51 pm
wap wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:15 pm

:nice:
I assume this thing is much more rain-proof than a regular tent so that's a good point in its favor as well.
Ehhh
Don't touch the canvas walls if its raining.
Oh. So no different than a tent, really. :disappoint:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:13 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:51 pm
Ehhh
Don't touch the canvas walls if its raining.
Well, I mean, it's a tent, so...
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:15 pm
wap wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:13 pm

I guess. I just thought that something that isn't meant to pack up as snug and compact as possible, that was towed to a site on its own chassis, would be made of heavier, more weatherproof fabric.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:46 pm What does the furnace run on? Propane? 110V or 12V?

Electrical and water systems are easy as hell on these things. If something needs to be replaced it's not a big deal and generally really cheap.

Looks good to me. Check the date stamp on the tires, they can be a bitch to find if you're away from civilization and need to replace one. Ask me how I know.

@troy the cabinets fold down inside and the beds slide in on top of everything. When you crank the top you pull the beds out and off of stuff. They don't really take up any room inside. Also, we comfortably fit a family of 6 in ours.
Furnace runs on propane and battery for the fan...I'm guessing the fan is 12V? I know there's a 100V invertor, there's 110v plugs inside so maybe it's 110v. I need to test the battery, old man said the battery was fine and he kept it inside on a tender most of the time. Furnace appears to be brand new...no rust or anything, just cobwebs. Same with the water heater. Old man said that he never put water in the tank, I opened up the drain and it looked dry. Only thing I can think of is maybe the water pump is bad...or maybe the seals dried out and are leaky. The water system is super low on the priority list, thankfully. Fortunately, Fleetwoods were made en masse and parts are easy to come by.

I'm planning on assessing the tires. They APPEAR to be in great shape (tons of tread, no cracking, dry rotting, etc) but I'll absolutely check the date codes. I bet they're original, so 13 years old...but they were fully inflated when I looked at it and when I bought it, so I know that they were at least not let flat. The thing saw very few miles, which is good for the tires, but bad for things like the bearings and electric brakes. I need to assess all that. It also has a spare, so I'll make sure that's good too and have that for just in case.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:52 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:51 pm

I like these ideas.
The other fun thing with the awning, many times these campers have an outdoor stove hookup. We use the fuck outta that. Awning lets it happen even if its raining or you parked under trees that are shitting leaves and sap on you.
Yep, has an awning. I didn't take it out to see what it looks like, old man claimed it's in perfect shape but they never used it. So I'll assume it's junk.

The only thing ours doesn't appear to have is the outside stove hookup. Which is OK. We do the vast majority of our cooking over the camp fire and like it that way. The inside stove is more important to us for making coffee and heating up water and whatnot...plus can cook on it if it's raining. That's never been used in our trailer.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:33 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:15 pm

I guess. I just thought that something that isn't meant to pack up as snug and compact as possible, that was towed to a site on its own chassis, would be made of heavier, more weatherproof fabric.
It is a tent, but a fancy AF tent. It has clear vinyl windows so you can see outside and keep closed from the rain. The canvas is super thick stuff compared to the normal thin tent stuff. It's recommended to regularly treat the canvas with water repellant/wax, which we intend to do. Should help.

The biggest thing is getting off the ground. We've had plenty of trips where it'll rain and we're suddenly mud camping. That is no fun at all. But we like "roughing it" in a tent, so the pop up is really the perfect middle ground.

We both really want an Airstream Basecamp, and that may happen in 5 years or so depending on how it goes with the popup.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:56 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:52 pm

Yep, has an awning. I didn't take it out to see what it looks like, old man claimed it's in perfect shape but they never used it. So I'll assume it's junk.

The only thing ours doesn't appear to have is the outside stove hookup. Which is OK. We do the vast majority of our cooking over the camp fire and like it that way. The inside stove is more important to us for making coffee and heating up water and whatnot...plus can cook on it if it's raining. That's never been used in our trailer.
Fuck yes.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:59 pm

It is a tent, but a fancy AF tent. It has clear vinyl windows so you can see outside and keep closed from the rain. The canvas is super thick stuff compared to the normal thin tent stuff. It's recommended to regularly treat the canvas with water repellant/wax, which we intend to do. Should help.

The biggest thing is getting off the ground. We've had plenty of trips where it'll rain and we're suddenly mud camping. That is no fun at all. But we like "roughing it" in a tent, so the pop up is really the perfect middle ground.

We both really want an Airstream Basecamp, and that may happen in 5 years or so depending on how it goes with the popup.
I think you are going to enjoy this.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:25 pm

I think we will a lot. I don't know why we didn't consider it more seriously before.
wap

:word:
Sounds really 5/7 for you guys, and a great find. You're right, being off the ground makes a world of difference.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:28 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:25 pm

I think we will a lot. I don't know why we didn't consider it more seriously before.
I gotta admit I'm impressed with the value.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Cleaned it up really well this weekend and popped her up. Spent a few hours cleaning the canvas, vinyl, and all the inside. It's in a lot better shape than we recall...we're going to hold off on major :pinshit: and just use it for a while.

Went to let it down today, and it wouldn't go. Turns out a driveshaft in the lifting mech was stripped. New part ordered, just $40. Also the tires are original to the camper, 2006 date codes. New ones already mounted on wheels were $110 shipped. The current wheels are a but grungy anyway. In it for $150 so far, plus $95 for the plate and title. :notbad:
ImageImageImageImage
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Fuck that's cool. Reminds me of my mom's dad.

Awesome that it was in better shape than you remembered, and :fuckyeah: for cheap/easy repairs too.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:49 pm Fuck that's cool. Reminds me of my mom's dad.

Awesome that it was in better shape than you remembered, and :fuckyeah: for cheap/easy repairs too.
Yea, we're stoked on it.

When we saw it, the thing was a mess. The cushions were all thrown wherever, everything was dirty, we really weren't 100% sure everything was good. But it was solid and the deal was right, and we ended up pleasantly surprised.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

That’s pretty :fuckyeah: D!

Report back after first use.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:33 pm That’s pretty :fuckyeah: D!

First use assuming the furnace works (or I can get it going easily) is April 6 at the Silver Lake sand dunes. A number of ZR2 dudes are heading out, I've wanted to experience the truck on the dunes since I got it. Would work great.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:51 pm

First use assuming the furnace works (or I can get it going easily) is April 6 at the Silver Lake sand dunes. A number of ZR2 dudes are heading out, I've wanted to experience the truck on the dunes since I got it. Would work great.
:jelly: have fun!
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:19 pm Cleaned it up really well this weekend and popped her up. Spent a few hours cleaning the canvas, vinyl, and all the inside. It's in a lot better shape than we recall...we're going to hold off on major :pinshit: and just use it for a while.

Went to let it down today, and it wouldn't go. Turns out a driveshaft in the lifting mech was stripped. New part ordered, just $40. Also the tires are original to the camper, 2006 date codes. New ones already mounted on wheels were $110 shipped. The current wheels are a but grungy anyway. In it for $150 so far, plus $95 for the plate and title. :notbad:
ImageImageImageImage
That looks really good! :megusta: :like:
Johnny_P

Sweet! in 4 first use report.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:51 pm

:nice:

Im really glad you will slow the roll on modding it. Clean it and use it for maximum :fuckyeah:

im a little :jelly: TBH.
ChrisoftheNorth

Fixed the lifting mechanism today, thing works smooth as can be now. Also lubed the entire system and the wheel bearings, and installed the new :ramz: and tires.

Now that I could lift it up and close it, I tried the furnace. Didn't work at first, but I bought a simple on/off digital thermostat for $20 on amazon just in case because I read it was a common problem. Replaced the thermostat, and the furnace fired right up and was hot within a minute.

Looks like camping will be a go next weekend. :fuckyeah:
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:56 pm Fixed the lifting mechanism today, thing works smooth as can be now. Also lubed the entire system and the wheel bearings, and installed the new :ramz: and tires.

Now that I could lift it up and close it, I tried the furnace. Didn't work at first, but I bought a simple on/off digital thermostat for $20 on amazon just in case because I read it was a common problem. Replaced the thermostat, and the furnace fired right up and was hot within a minute.

:fuckyeah: In4picsanddeets
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:56 pm Fixed the lifting mechanism today, thing works smooth as can be now. Also lubed the entire system and the wheel bearings, and installed the new :ramz: and tires.

:fuckyeah: :neat: and :impressive: , TurinPlac!
ChrisoftheNorth

First camping trip this coming weekend, pretty excited. Worked on it a bit this weekend, and didn't take any pictures as we rushed to close it up before rain yesterday...

Got the battery installed and tested out the 12v system, works great so far.

Water system is operational! Had to replace the fill tube to the storage tank as the old one was pretty cracked, but that was NBD. Entire system was completely empty, which was a great sign. Filled it up, flicked on the water pump, and it built great water pressure pretty quickly. :fuckyeah:

Then lit the pilot on the water heater to see if that thing worked, and sure enough we've got working hot water too. Will be fantastic for doing dishes, we're really excited.

:tits: also did some :pinshit: inside. It's looking really nice for the minimal money and effort we've put into it so far. Now we're just going to start using it and see what else we want to change. Got plenty of trips already lined up to try it out.