General Zhukov's visit to the Valley of Death

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

:notsure: where to put this but.... I am going to vegas/la/death valley/joshua tree, in about a month.

I am trying to figure out my car rental sitch. This is not about :scrooge: but more about getting a comfortable vehicle as well as something with some ground clearance/performance off road. The last time the suburban was blah... i didn't want somethign that big but it was the only thing 4x4 that was available.

Options for this time
1. Land Rover Disco or similar (QX60) from hertz
2. Wrangler 4 door from Sixt
3. Grand cherokee from Hertz
4. Tacoma from Hertz
My concerns are that some of these may not be 4x4... or stripped out models. This matter a lot on a jeep, I had a sport with nothin in hawaii and hated that thing, and I had a loaded willys in florida and loved it...

Any pointers ? which one would you chose outside of :wrong:
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:46 pm :notsure: where to put this but.... I am going to vegas/la/death valley/joshua tree, in about a month.

I am trying to figure out my car rental sitch. This is not about :scrooge: but more about getting a comfortable vehicle as well as something with some ground clearance/performance off road. The last time the suburban was blah... i didn't want somethign that big but it was the only thing 4x4 that was available.

Options for this time
4. Tacoma from Hertz
My concerns are that some of these may not be 4x4... or stripped out models. This matter a lot on a jeep, I had a sport with nothin in hawaii and hated that thing, and I had a loaded willys in florida and loved it...

As the self-proclaimed King of Rentals, I feel like I should be able to help but I’m afraid there’s always a risk with Hertz, Avis etc. that either;

A. Their “Wrangler or equivalent” will put you in something less capable than the expected Wrangler or Tacoma.
B. The car you do get will be a stripped out model when you hope for a Rubicon.

The Wrangler I had last year was a Sport S but it was perfectly fine for driving NC>SC>GA and back, close to 1500mi in a week.

Therefore, Turo?
Last edited by Swedish Chef on Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I had a Sport S in Puerto Rico. Great vehicle.

I doubt there's a lot of base level vehicles in the rental fleet at this point. Could be wrong :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Swedish Chef wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:53 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:46 pm :notsure: where to put this but.... I am going to vegas/la/death valley/joshua tree, in about a month.

Options for this time
4. Tacoma from Hertz

As the self-acclaimed King of Rentals, I feel like I should be able to help but I’m afraid there’s always a risk with Hertz, Avis etc. that either;

A. Their “Wrangler or equivalent” will put you in something less capable than the expected Wrangler or
B. The car you do get will be a stripped out model when you hope for a Rubicon

The Wrangler I had last year was a Sport S but it was perfectly fine for driving NC>SC>GA and back, close to 1500mi in a week.

Turo?
Now Hertz/Avis/Alamo are the "premium" rental places so I am expecting them to have a decent selection/vehicles. Unless you can tell me there is a better option for something like that.
I am certainly not hoping for a rubicon, but I want rear tinted windows and keyless entry if I am paying $50 a day.
Have you gone with Hertz "elite" line yet ?
Standard Elite Crossover is the one I am considering at the moment... it is the most expensive but not by much... ~$316 for this vs $280 for the jeep. I may want more comfort as I am driving 2000 miles in this thing and only around 60-80 of those will be off roads.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:54 pm I had a Sport S in Puerto Rico. Great vehicle.

I doubt there's a lot of base level vehicles in the rental fleet at this point. Could be wrong :doe:
Interesting... well in Hawaii it was a bunch of soft top 2 door sports :disgust: , in florida they were willys ... completely different vehicles IMO.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
Swedish Chef wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:53 pm As the self-acclaimed King of Rentals, I feel like I should be able to help but I’m afraid there’s always a risk with Hertz, Avis etc. that either;

A. Their “Wrangler or equivalent” will put you in something less capable than the expected Wrangler or
B. The car you do get will be a stripped out model when you hope for a Rubicon

Turo?
Now Hertz/Avis/Alamo are the "premium" rental places so I am expecting them to have a decent selection/vehicles. Unless you can tell me there is a better option for something like that.
I am certainly not hoping for a rubicon, but I want rear tinted windows and keyless entry if I am paying $50 a day.
Standard Elite Crossover is the one I am considering at the moment... it is the most expensive but not by much... ~$316 for this vs $280 for the jeep. I may want more comfort as I am driving 2000 miles in this thing and only around 60-80 of those will be off roads.
Seems like #1 is the answer for this trip. Obviously you shouldn't buy one, but for a rental that's mostly highway cruising I'd get the luxotruk.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:54 pm I had a Sport S in Puerto Rico. Great vehicle.

Interesting... well in Hawaii it was a bunch of soft top 2 door sports :disgust: , in florida they were willys ... completely different vehicles IMO.
Well, this was a JL, just a JK.

But it was a Sport S...aluminum wheels, tinted rear windows, soft top (but we could have had a hard top if we wanted), keyless entry, bluetooth, etc, etc. Base headlights and no android auto kind of sucked, but I was pretty :impressive: with the spec otherwise.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:02 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:59 pm

But it was a Sport S...aluminum wheels, tinted rear windows, soft top (but we could have had a hard top if we wanted), keyless entry, bluetooth, etc, etc. Base headlights and no android auto kind of sucked, but I was pretty :impressive: with the spec otherwise.
I am not expecting a JL.... unfortunately.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:04 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:02 pm

Why not? That's all they had in Puerto Rico. FCA hasn't produced a JK in a while, they should be mostly flushed out of rental fleets by now.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:00 pm
max225 wrote: Now Hertz/Avis/Alamo are the "premium" rental places so I am expecting them to have a decent selection/vehicles. Unless you can tell me there is a better option for something like that.
Seems like #1 is the answer for this trip. Obviously you shouldn't buy one, but for a rental that's mostly highway cruising I'd get the luxotruk.
Concur.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:06 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:04 pm

Why not? That's all they had in Puerto Rico. FCA hasn't produced a JK in a while, they should be mostly flushed out of rental fleets by now.
jl really hit full production in march 2018. And they made the last JKs in March 2018.... so i think 50/50 chance for JL for me... seems like PR is better than the US for this... :thankstrump:
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:08 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:00 pm Seems like #1 is the answer for this trip. Obviously you shouldn't buy one, but for a rental that's mostly highway cruising I'd get the luxotruk.
Concur.
AZN wants to badge whore... My main concern is popping a $500 tire in the middle of no where and scraping a $2000 bumper cover... But most of my driving will be highway, I should be somewhat realistic. If they have JLs, at Sixt car rental.... I am certainly going that route. I NEED TO DRIVE ONE FOR A WHILE.
max225

For what it's worth SIXT is showing a JL on their site... not sure if it matter at all.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:06 pm
jl really hit full production in march 2018. And they made the last JKs in March 2018.... so i think 50/50 chance for JL for me... seems like PR is better than the US for this... :thankstrump:
I suppose. That's got to be the #1 rental vehicle in the territory. And for good reason, the roads were horrific, and often quite tight in areas. They had both 2 and 4 doors for the same price, but I took the 2 door for better maneuverability.
ChrisoftheNorth

In dealing with rental companies on the business end, they don't usually hold onto vehicles for very long 6-8mos at most. It's a liability on their balance sheet, so selling it when it's worth the most is key. There's usually pretty regular turn over with the larger companies, which is why I'd be surprised if there were many JK's left.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:14 pm In dealing with rental companies on the business end, they don't usually hold onto vehicles for very long 6-8mos at most. It's a liability on their balance sheet, so selling it when it's worth the most is key. There's usually pretty regular turn over with the larger companies, which is why I'd be surprised if there were many JK's left.
Good Pro Tip. Any pointers with Sixt? that's the agency I want to use... I know it's just a rental :whocares: but my trip is hinged on the vehicle, and It is somewhat a highlight for me.
max225

FWIW I am going April 25th-28th, so.... That should be more than 1 year after JL launch....
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:14 pm In dealing with rental companies on the business end, they don't usually hold onto vehicles for very long 6-8mos at most. It's a liability on their balance sheet, so selling it when it's worth the most is key. There's usually pretty regular turn over with the larger companies, which is why I'd be surprised if there were many JK's left.
Good Pro Tip. Any pointers with Sixt? that's the agency I want to use... I know it's just a rental :whocares: but my trip is hinged on the vehicle, and It is somewhat a highlight for me.
I've only professionally worked with Enterprise and Hertz through our fleet department. It was really interesting learning their business...it's pretty fascinating when you think about it. They've modeled out the ideal time/mileage for a vehicle to spend in service before they've made enough on rentals and won't loose too much on resale. They do one buy a year with staggered deliveries throughout the year to meet their time forecasts. For Colorados, they're usually only in service for 6-8 mos.
ChrisoftheNorth

And I get the rental being a highlight of the trip. I wasn't too into Puerto Rico. Then at the rental counter, wife asked if they had anything "fun" and the guy suggested a Jeep. I perked up and asked him if it was brand new, and he said they all were brand new 2019 models. The cost increase was minimal, so we went for it. Driving that thing around for 8 days was absolutely a highlight.

Chef will be able to give more protips on the rental process I'm sure, but we always have the best luck booking the cheapest vehicle possible then negotiating when we get to the rental counter. We've had some really cool stuff just by asking when we get there. We paid $40/day for the Jeep at the end of it, when online it showed a Jeep was $70/day. Granted, you have to be flexible on what you end up with, but I've yet to be let down.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Sixt: Hands keys to JK to Max.
Max: Hands keys to AZN, goes back to work.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:24 pm

Options for this time
4. Tacoma from Hertz

Did you check Turo?
I think he's talking about heavily exceeding most Turo mileage limits.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:24 pm And I get the rental being a highlight of the trip. I wasn't too into Puerto Rico. Then at the rental counter, wife asked if they had anything "fun" and the guy suggested a Jeep. I perked up and asked him if it was brand new, and he said they all were brand new 2019 models. The cost increase was minimal, so we went for it. Driving that thing around for 8 days was absolutely a highlight.

Chef will be able to give more protips on the rental process I'm sure, but we always have the best luck booking the cheapest vehicle possible then negotiating when we get to the rental counter. We've had some really cool stuff just by asking when we get there. We paid $40/day for the Jeep at the end of it, when online it showed a Jeep was $70/day. Granted, you have to be flexible on what you end up with, but I've yet to be let down.
It's true. The biggest disappointments at the rental counter are not getting close to what you thought you were getting, the biggest :fuckyeah: is the rando upgrade.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:24 pm

Options for this time
4. Tacoma from Hertz

Did you check Turo?
I think i'd roughly drive 2000 miles.... :notsure: that flys. MOst have mileage limits that are far lower.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:27 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:26 pm

I think he's talking about heavily exceeding most Turo mileage limits.
Makes sense - didn't even know they had them. I was just thinking for a cool vehicle. I haven't used them yet.
Me neither, but I've thought about it twice. But nobody is going to let you put 3K miles on their Range Rover without exacting an enormous toll.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:40 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:27 pm

It's true. The biggest disappointments at the rental counter are not getting close to what you thought you were getting, the biggest :fuckyeah: is the rando upgrade.
I once rented a Moostang Convertible for a Florida trip and was given an Infiniti Q60 instead.

:flaccid:
I am trying very hard to minimize the risk of this by not going with places like FOX, Budget/Dollar etc and going more "premium" with hertz or sixt.