General Zhukov's visit to the Valley of Death

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:56 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:53 pm

I am trying very hard to minimize the risk of this by not going with places like FOX, Budget/Dollar etc and going more "premium" with hertz or sixt.
Yeah, that was Hertz. :(
:( not sure what else I can do.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Sixt usually has 4Runners.

I think the Wrangler is the only way you're guaranteed to get something that will do all the roads you want. The "Jeep Grand Cherokee or similar" could put you in a FWD pathfinder CVT :disgust:

Turo is best bet overall because you're locking in a specific vehicle.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:53 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:40 pm

I once rented a Moostang Convertible for a Florida trip and was given an Infiniti Q60 instead.

:flaccid:
I am trying very hard to minimize the risk of this by not going with places like FOX, Budget/Dollar etc and going more "premium" with hertz or sixt.
I’m afraid this is pretty much standard with all companies and fully covered by the “or equivalent” clearly stated on the rental agreement.
Hertz would occasionally offer a “hire this exact model” which I used last year for a Mustang GT but haven’t seen it since.

I haven’t rented enough cars in the US to say for sure, but it helps signing up for the loyalty program i.e. Gold Star with Hertz or Preferred with Avis, and then ask/negotiate for an upgrade when you arrive.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Come drop your ///M off for a week and take my Willy's. We can do that swap we talked about.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:14 pm Come drop your ///M off for a week and take my Willy's. We can do that swap we talked about.
:manuel: all the things!
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:15 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:14 pm Come drop your ///M off for a week and take my Willy's. We can do that swap we talked about.
Hey he only said he wanted keyless if he's paying premium $. This is free.99.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

That is a solid offer there :massles: :fuckyeah: :doit: :225:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:19 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:15 pm

Hey he only said he wanted keyless if he's paying premium $. This is free.99.
:word:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

:jeep: is your only real option.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:20 pm
Offer is amazing, but I’m flying into Vegas for a reason, I’m cutting out 13 hrs of driving round trip this way. :(
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:46 pm :notsure: where to put this but.... I am going to vegas/la/death valley/joshua tree, in about a month.

I am trying to figure out my car rental sitch. This is not about :scrooge: but more about getting a comfortable vehicle as well as something with some ground clearance/performance off road. The last time the suburban was blah... i didn't want somethign that big but it was the only thing 4x4 that was available.

Options for this time
1. Land Rover Disco or similar (QX60) from hertz
2. Wrangler 4 door from Sixt
3. Grand cherokee from Hertz
4. Tacoma from Hertz
My concerns are that some of these may not be 4x4... or stripped out models. This matter a lot on a jeep, I had a sport with nothin in hawaii and hated that thing, and I had a loaded willys in florida and loved it...

Any pointers ? which one would you chose outside of :wrong:
:waxer: SUV has my vote.

Also, have fun man!
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:30 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:20 pm

Offer is amazing, but I’m flying into Vegas for a reason, I’m cutting out 13 hrs of driving round trip this way. :(
Okay :(
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

in4max compares dat :manual: to more on regular/sporty cars on how sloppy it is.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:26 pm
in4max compares dat :manual: to more on regular/sporty cars on how sloppy it is.
I already did that. I can't do the JK :manuel: for myself (to own). The :jeep: i drove has 3.21s as well with the :manuel: it was a terrible combination.
max225

Update: Booked wrangler through Sixt, it is specifically listed as Jeep Wrangler, not similar or anything, has it's own rental code too, that starts with a J.

:popcorn: on whether it will be JL or JK :doe: i am 50/50 right now...

I hope it is a JL because this would itch a MAJOR Jeep scratch. And if it is as :amazing: as everyone says it is. I'll put in my own order when it is all said and done.

May Order: = August delivery, exactly when my M3 is going away.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:44 pm Update: Booked wrangler through Sixt, it is specifically listed as Jeep Wrangler, not similar or anything, has it's own rental code too, that starts with a J.

I hope it is a JL because this would itch a MAJOR Jeep scratch. And if it is as :amazing: as everyone says it is. I'll put in my own order when it is all said and done.

I am told it is much better in comparison and I don't doubt the reviewers comparing the things I've observed with my JK experience, in4 the review :popcorn:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:46 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:44 pm Update: Booked wrangler through Sixt, it is specifically listed as Jeep Wrangler, not similar or anything, has it's own rental code too, that starts with a J.

I am told it is much better in comparison and I don't doubt the reviewers comparing the things I've observed with my JK experience, in4 the review :popcorn:
I have done a 5 mile test drive. Obviously not enough "real world" miles to really tell a story here. I spent about 3500 miles in a JK so far. More miles in a rental than any other car I have not owned. Maybe it is a sign
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:27 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:26 pm

I think he's talking about heavily exceeding most Turo mileage limits.
Makes sense - didn't even know they had them. I was just thinking for a cool vehicle. I haven't used them yet.
It's totally dependent on the owner, some of the high end stuff has ridiculously low mileage limits. I far prefer Turo, been fucked too many times by rental agencies, I hate all of them. I like that with Turo, you know the exact car you are going to get. I've never had an issue and find it's really fun and can be quite cost effective. The other nice thing is that it's usually a time saver versus all of the shuttle buses and similar nonsense.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

:fuckyeah:

As you said yourself earlier, it wasn’t that long ago that they stopped production of the JK, so there a still a bunch of them running around as rentals.

Sixt however seem to have a nicer fleet in general, so good chance that it’s in fact a JL.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:52 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:27 pm

Makes sense - didn't even know they had them. I was just thinking for a cool vehicle. I haven't used them yet.
It's totally dependent on the owner, some of the high end stuff has ridiculously low mileage limits. I far prefer Turo, been fucked too many times by rental agencies, I hate all of them. I like that with Turo, you know the exact car you are going to get. I've never had an issue and find it's really fun and can be quite cost effective. The other nice thing is that it's usually a time saver versus all of the shuttle buses and similar nonsense.
I sort of feel bad for taking someones car and putting 2000 miles on it in 4 days. I mean I don't think any owner would be ok with that type of mileage.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Good outcome, I think the week or however long in a JL will really solidify whether or not you'd like to own one.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:53 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:52 pm

I sort of feel bad for taking someones car and putting 2000 miles on it in 4 days. I mean I don't think any owner would be ok with that type of mileage.
You can typically pay extra per mile, it's all in their terms, which they set. I went over miles on the Cayman I rented and the dude was all :aintcare: and didn't charge me :wtf: .
max225

https://turo.com/rentals/trucks/nv/las- ... ecommended

IMA leave this here for other peoples reference
Here is a taco advertised at a very reasonable $49 a day... now that includes 400 miles only which is certainly not enough. I am trying to do a quote but the turo site is giving me issues :(
max225

https://turo.com/checkout/onboarding?en ... eId=485841

Here is a JL $429 vs what I paid $281. He also has a 800 mile cap with $1 per mile after... making this trip $1500 through him. :lolgasm:

Yea FUCK THAT
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:00 pm https://turo.com/checkout/onboarding?en ... eId=485841

Here is a JL $429 vs what I paid $281. He also has a 800 mile cap with $1 per mile after... making this trip $1500 through him. :lolgasm:

Yea FUCK THAT
You said yourself you shouldn't put 2000 miles on somebody's private vehicle. He apparently agrees.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.