Hawaii Advice

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Hola people. I would like to ask if anyone here has been to Hawai'i and could give some advice, as I'm planning to buy my mom a week long trip there for her birthday, most likely in September and with a low possibility of my sister and myself joining her for the last couple of days.
I am mostly interested in the experiences that you guys may have, and advice on which islands and activities you visited/partook.

Thanks!
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

I've been to Oahu twice - once with my family, once with my wife's. Overall, a fantastic island, but I'd highly recommend not going with her family.
The panda hath arrived.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Jaxper wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:20 pm I've been to Oahu twice - once with my family, once with my wife's. Overall, a fantastic island, but I'd highly recommend not going with her family.
Assuming you meant for my mom to go alone, that's why I was thinking of my sis and myself joining her only for the end before coming back. This is for one of the big 0's birthdays, so was thinking at least some family would be nice, either at end or beginning.

What sort of activities did you do in Oahu?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SaxyJeep wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:18 pm Hola people. I would like to ask if anyone here has been to Hawai'i and could give some advice, as I'm planning to buy my mom a week long trip there for her birthday, most likely in September and with a low possibility of my sister and myself joining her for the last couple of days.
I am mostly interested in the experiences that you guys may have, and advice on which islands and activities you visited/partook.

Thanks!
Going to Lanai tomorrow morning, but I'm not paying for it. I would highly recommend the Big Island. The climatic diversity there is absolutely amazing, dry on Kona side, wet on the Hilo side, it has live volcanos, moutain peaks......if you like getting out and exploring, it is A number one Joe. If you want to hang out at your resort, I don't think it really matters.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

SaxyJeep wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:24 pm
Jaxper wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:20 pm I've been to Oahu twice - once with my family, once with my wife's. Overall, a fantastic island, but I'd highly recommend not going with her family.
Assuming you meant for my mom to go alone, that's why I was thinking of my sis and myself joining her only for the end before coming back. This is for one of the big 0's birthdays, so was thinking at least some family would be nice, either at end or beginning.

Oh, you misunderstood what I was saying. I meant to not go with my wife's family. They suck. :lol:

If you like being outdoors, you'd love Oahu. They have fantastic beaches, mountains/trails to hike, memorials (namely Pearl Harbor, but there are others) to visit, surfing to watch/learn, a ton more. If you like sushi, it's fantastic there.

I'd definitely recommend going with your mom. I think it would mean more to her to spend it with family too.
The panda hath arrived.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

What does she like to do?

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

First and foremost, ive never been to hawaii. But if you are planning to hike and whatnot for the time being, try stairway in heaven in Oahu, just a thought.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Jaxper wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:26 pm
SaxyJeep wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:24 pm

Oh, you misunderstood what I was saying. I meant to not go with my wife's family. They suck. :lol:

If you like being outdoors, you'd love Oahu. They have fantastic beaches, mountains/trails to hike, memorials (namely Pearl Harbor, but there are others) to visit, surfing to watch/learn, a ton more. If you like sushi, it's fantastic there.

I'd definitely recommend going with your mom. I think it would mean more to her to spend it with family too.
Lol, I thought that may be it but wasn't sure, since my mom has said that she wanted to go off on a solo trip as well, wasn't sure if that was common for these sorts of bdays :P
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:25 pm
SaxyJeep wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:18 pm Hola people. I would like to ask if anyone here has been to Hawai'i and could give some advice, as I'm planning to buy my mom a week long trip there for her birthday, most likely in September and with a low possibility of my sister and myself joining her for the last couple of days.

Thanks!
Going to Lanai tomorrow morning, but I'm not paying for it. I would highly recommend the Big Island. The climatic diversity there is absolutely amazing, dry on Kona side, wet on the Hilo side, it has live volcanos, moutain peaks......if you like getting out and exploring, it is A number one Joe. If you want to hang out at your resort, I don't think it really matters.
Just saw a bit on Big Island, as an avid hiker, that sounds awesome.
Calvinball wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:24 pm What does she like to do?

She doesn't really have a lot of free time because of work, but she likes going on forest walks with her dog, going on not too intensive hikes, I think she will like lazing around beach-side with a book or two and potentially mediating, or at least taking in the scenery/peace. I am not sure if she likes nightlife, since she doesn't usually really have time for it, but I am asking my sister to fish around and figure out what sort of stuff she would be interested in doing if she went to Hawaii. I am planning the trip jointly with my sis, but since i'm doing the majority of the funding I want to make sure I have some solid ideas before purchasing anything :D
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Thanks!
Which island :bruh: activities really vary depending on island.
Calvinball

Our honeymoon we did a couple days in Honolulu then Maui the rest of the time. Activities varied; lounging at the pool/beach, trying local restaurants, driving up Haleakala to see the sunrise, whale watching, and driving around the island to see sights/landmarks.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:25 pm

Thanks!
:dat:

I've been to the Big Island and Maui. Honestly, both are absolutely beautiful and incredible, but the Big Island is bigger and it offers a bit more to see. Volcano National Park, sunset on top of Mauna Kea, Waipio Valley, hiking, beaches, sea turtles, snorkeling. We did a :waxer: helicopter tour and I would say it was worth the $800, definitely an experience to remember for all of life.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:32 pm

Thanks!
he has never been, so instead of being dry about it, maybe talk about your experiences at each island when you went.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

razr390 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:13 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:32 pm

he has never been, so instead of being dry about it, maybe talk about your experiences at each island when you went.
For someone that has never been I would highly recommend Oahu. I have been to Oahu, Big Island (Hawaii) and Maui multiple times.
Oahu is easiest to fly into (usually cheapest) it also is the most developed so that you can explore both hawaii city life as well as nature. But it really depends on goal here.

One can spend a week on each island and the itinerary varies greatly by personal preferences, this is not being dry this is asking for clarification so a more cohesive response could be made. Similar to "I have never been to Europe, where should I go" type of situation. Europe is a damn big place.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:28 pm
For someone that has never been I would highly recommend Oahu. I have been to Oahu, Big Island (Hawaii) and Maui multiple times.
Oahu is easiest to fly into (usually cheapest) it also is the most developed so that you can explore both hawaii city life as well as nature. But it really depends on goal here.

One can spend a week on each island and the itinerary varies greatly by personal preferences, this is not being dry this is asking for clarification so a more cohesive response could be made. Similar to "I have never been to Europe, where should I go" type of situation. Europe is a damn big place.
I would figure the circumstances in this advice thread are more "hey this is an un-planned by my mother surprise trip for her birthday, what are the best things someone can do while they are there for 1 week?"
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:28 pm

That's why i was asking about best island or highlights from them, but yea ill check out oahu for the best of all worlds for now and maybe some big island for hiking action.

I just dont know what im looking for exactly since it's for my mom, and i said above the activities i think 🐚 like.
Thanks tho, didn't realize each island offered that much!

And yea that's fair. Europe is pretty big and varied, lol
D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:36 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:25 pm Going to Lanai tomorrow morning, but I'm not paying for it. I would highly recommend the Big Island. The climatic diversity there is absolutely amazing, dry on Kona side, wet on the Hilo side, it has live volcanos, moutain peaks......if you like getting out and exploring, it is A number one Joe. If you want to hang out at your resort, I don't think it really matters.
:dat:

I've been to the Big Island and Maui. Honestly, both are absolutely beautiful and incredible, but the Big Island is bigger and it offers a bit more to see. Volcano National Park, sunset on top of Mauna Kea, Waipio Valley, hiking, beaches, sea turtles, snorkeling. We did a :waxer: helicopter tour and I would say it was worth the $800, definitely an experience to remember for all of life.
That sounds awesome. If i go ill definitely aim for some big island volcano time. Been a while since I've been on one :D
max225

The differences amongst the islands are staggering. Big island is the biggest by area and one of the smallest based on population density. Also no building is allowed to be taller than 6 stories. Maui is similar. "hiking on big island" is way too broad, you can spend months hiking on the big island or oahu, each island offers an amazing array of activities/hikes etc. Oahu is the most 'mapped' easiest to get to, but it is also much more crowded than the rest.

Each island also has insane weather, parts of the islands get rain 360 days a year while others 0-5.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Oahu would probably be lowest on my list but I haven't actually been other than a layover. It has major crowding/traffic issues from what I understand.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Hm. I guess it depends on whether she prefers a relaxing vacation with few people or one with more... i'll fish around and figure out what she wants...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

gotta get a ferrari.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:35 pm Oahu would probably be lowest on my list but I haven't actually been other than a layover. It has major crowding/traffic issues from what I understand.
It’s totally fine. I mean yes there is rush hour etc but overall it is manageable. Pros and cons to everything.
Calvinball

D Griff wrote:Oahu would probably be lowest on my list but I haven't actually been other than a layover. It has major crowding/traffic issues from what I understand.
We spent a little time there mostly for Pearl Harbor, which was definitely worth it. Had some really amazing sushi in Honolulu too.

Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Who :dat: ?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Irish wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:30 pmWho :dat: ?
:iono:
:whalecum: :doe:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.