'Merica discussion

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Lets talk about the greatest country on this god-damn planet.

Curious about an area? Chime in... Hate a place? Chime in... etc.

This sparks my curiosity greatly since we always have a flavor of this in car chat but never had a dedicated thread.

Any of y'all been to denver? How is it?
Expensive?
Nice?
Boring?
Lots of traffic?

chime in please. It has been on a "to visit" and maybe live place for me for a bit and I have never gone.
If Y'all have questions about the pay area feel free to ask, I pretty much grew up here.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

GTFO of OT with this shit
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

But seriously, upper Michigan is fantastic in the summer if you like your water unsalted
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:37 pm But seriously, upper Michigan is fantastic in the summer if you like your water unsalted
I once was in Traverse City wayy long ago in 4th of July, and the lake water was still cold for its time compared to midatlantic beaches. But its still pretty clean, because no sand. Just like in Turkey and Greece where you can see your feet from surface.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

If you're looking for a great vacation spot with sub-tropic humidity that feels like a you're drowning in a mouthful of ball sweat, it doesn't get any better than South Louisiana.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:37 pm But seriously, upper Michigan is fantastic in the summer if you like your water unsalted
:dat:
Same with upper Minnesota, too, as long as it's not too humid.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

Any word on Denver tho? Isn't Dbest from there?
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Every military person I know who has been there plans to retire there. Great night life, outdoor activities everywhere you look. I have a friend who goes downhill biking and then follows it up with a bar crawl. They have bar mini golf for some random day. I dont remember.

The food is apparently great. So many restaurants with eclectic foods.

The area starting to get more expensive. But I think it would make sense with the influx of people as we all find out about the wonders of Denver.

I have personally never been. But its at the top of my list for places to go once I move from my next assignment.
Last edited by Barnes93cb on Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wap

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:49 pm Any word on Denver tho? Isn't Dbest from there?
He's from the Chicago area but moved near there a few years ago.

I've spent a couple days in Denver a few times. It's a nice enough city. It's also not too terribly far from Boulder and Rocky Mountain National Park and Estes Park.
wap

I also remember it being very clean.
Barnes93cb

Im from southern Maryland. Beautiful country with a modest commute to the white collar sector. A significant amount of govt and DoD influence. But offset by the agriculture and watermen. We have some great waterfront views along side YUGE farms. Properties passed down from generations. Housing is expensive, but overall the area isnt too bad.

Food is a bit murican along with the drinking options. Hole in the wall bars and members only too. I love that but I was raised in that bar atmosphere.

For activities its really based on you and your friends. Not much infrastrucure for you. But if you can make your own fun and go out with others there are options.

A bit of old thinking(racism, sexism, bigotry). You know the usual from small town USA.
max225

wap wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:54 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:49 pm Any word on Denver tho? Isn't Dbest from there?

I've spent a couple days in Denver a few times. It's a nice enough city. It's also not too terribly far from Boulder and Rocky Mountain National Park and Estes Park.
How's the weather out there? Also income/housing ratio? Anything noteworthy compared to other places in the US?
max225

Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:58 pm Im from southern Maryland. Beautiful country with a modest commute to the white collar sector. A significant amount of govt and DoD influence. But offset by the agriculture and watermen. We have some great waterfront views along side YUGE farms. Properties passed down from generations. Housing is expensive, but overall the area isnt too bad.

Food is a bit murican along with the drinking options. Hole in the wall bars and members only too. I love that but I was raised in that bar atmosphere.

For activities its really based on you and your friends. Not much infrastrucure for you. But if you can make your own fun and go out with others there are options.

A bit of old thinking(racism, sexism, bigotry). You know the usual from small town USA.
What is a members only bar? So if a random white dude shows up with an Oriental it is a no no?
Barnes93cb

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:03 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:58 pm Im from southern Maryland. Beautiful country with a modest commute to the white collar sector. A significant amount of govt and DoD influence. But offset by the agriculture and watermen. We have some great waterfront views along side YUGE farms. Properties passed down from generations. Housing is expensive, but overall the area isnt too bad.

What is a members only bar? So if a random white dude shows up with an Oriental it is a no no?
Its a private bar that has security cards to get you through the locked doors. Its the kind of place that has slot machines inside and bud light is the main beer. Im a sissy when I get a blue moon. And Sam Adams is their fancy beer.

And no theyre fine to bring. Just dont go any darker with the skin tone.

Theyre slowly coming into the 20th century as the old guys die off. We finally got the first black member. But they didnt stick around long before they moved away. We have started allowing everyone for special events. It was one of the things my dad was trying to change before he died.

Its an issue back home. That many people recognize and are trying to fix.
max225

Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:17 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:03 pm

Its a private bar that has security cards to get you through the locked doors. Its the kind of place that has slot machines inside and bud light is the main beer. Im a sissy when I get a blue moon. And Sam Adams is their fancy beer.

And no theyre fine to bring. Just dont go any darker with the skin tone.

Theyre slowly coming into the 20th century as the old guys die off. We finally got the first black member. But they didnt stick around long before they moved away. We have started allowing everyone for special events. It was one of the things my dad was trying to change before he died.

Its an issue back home. That many people recognize and are trying to fix.
:mindblown: Thanks for sharing though fascinating.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I've been to Denver, Fort Collins and Boulder.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Everyone I know who has visited or lived in CO loves it, but they're all hippies who are into hiking/skiing/snowboarding and getting high... none of which appeals to me and doesn't seem to be very :225: friendly either AFAIK.
Last edited by troyguitar on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wap

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:02 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:54 pm

How's the weather out there? Also income/housing ratio? Anything noteworthy compared to other places in the US?
It was pretty pleasant in the summer when I was there. Can't speak to your other questions regarding housing prices, income, etc.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:36 pm Everyone I know who has visited or lived in CO loves it, but they're all hippies who are into hiking/skiiing/snowboarding and getting high... none of which appeals to me and doesn't seem to be very :225: friendly either AFAIK.
True, they're VERY outdoors oriented. And why not, they have some of the most beautiful scenery and national parks in the country.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Denver is a cool city for sure. A buddy of mine moved there from our desert in CA, left for Chicago, and wound up back in Denver and never plans on leaving again. It has gotten more expensive as Barnes said, but it’s not too unreasonable compared to SD or the Pay Area. Lots of outdoorsy stuff in the city and good camping, hiking, snowboarding, etc. within driving distance just outside the city. Fun bar scene, and lots of good food.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Denver is awesome. I visited back in 2013